Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Will I get banned for this? (ADQ1) (Read 11854 times)
popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Will I get banned for this? (ADQ1)
Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Hi DDOVault.  Long time listener, first time caller.

So, I recently discovered the Monkey and Octopus chests in ADQ1.  I can go into ADQ1 on Epic and grab these chests until ransack without dying too much, so I sent off a PM to Tarrant and Tolero last week asking if that's something that I can do or if I'll get banned for exploiting if I do this.

Shockingly, I haven't received an answer back yet and it's been about a week.

Anyone know the skinny on this?  Is this what got people banned a couple of Mondays ago?  I tried to look for a thread where people were complaining about being banned from the game for the "guild leveling" exploit, but couldn't find anything.

Any thoughts?

fnord

IP Logged

sir_chonas
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Will I get banned for this? (ADQ1)
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Chest farming isn't against the rules. . . In VON 4 there's a chest that you can run to without killing anything (it's down hole #2).

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Dont forget window farming the last quest in Thernal for the chest. I think there was another thread about window farming as well. If was against the rules they prolly would have changed it long ago.

IP Logged

Slink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:21am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 10:12am:
Dont forget window farming the last quest in Thernal for the chest. I think there was another thread about window farming as well. If was against the rules they prolly would have changed it long ago.

Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Nexx
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:26am
Print Post  
From my understanding when a bunch of people were getting banned for this "guild leveling" exploit they were creating characters running tons of easy lowbie quests getting the renown, deleting characters, remaking them.. rinse and repeat. 

They not only banned the people who were doing it, but also anyone who was associated with the guild for "participating" in this exploit.  Although there wasn't any real participation.  Guilty by association is all it was.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=172475

This will clear the air about the chests and window farming Tongue

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
My impression was it's illegal but unenforced except in extreme circumstances.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
From my understanding when a bunch of people were getting banned for this "guild leveling" exploit they were creating characters running tons of easy lowbie quests getting the renown, deleting characters, remaking them.. rinse and repeat. 

They not only banned the people who were doing it, but also anyone who was associated with the guild for "participating" in this exploit.  Although there wasn't any real participation.  Guilty by association is all it was.

Thanks for doing a search and providing a link. I was at work and could'nt get to official forums.
I read through it and window farming seems to fall into a grey area. The only points I think touch on it are these:

Quote:
Using any method to repeatedly loot a chest without repeating the quest objectives/content/monster encounters associated with the chest.
Using any method to loot a chest or accept quest reward with any character who did not complete the related quest objective from start to finish.
Bypassing a quest timer or flagging mechanic which allows you to complete a quest or objective more often than allowed.

The only thing that would seem to put it into the red area are if you are using it grind xp/loot from a quest in a chain( last quest in thernal, delera's 2&4). Using it to grind xp/loot from anyother standalone quest seems OK because you are not bypassing a timer or "Using any method to repeatedly loot a chest without repeating the quest objectives/content/monster encounters associated with the chest. " because you still have to go through all the objectives/mob/content in that case.

But like Eladiun pointed out it seems like one of those things that turbine looks the other way on. Possibly because its too much work to fix at the moment with all the new stuff they want to put out.

If I missed something(which I prolly did) please feel free to point it out.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
To elaborate on my earlier post...

It's been in game since I have been here 8/2006  if they had any intention of fixing it they would have by now.  We used to do it all the time in Co6 in which ever part it is they changed so you can't speed farm it anymore.

I would never announce it in an LFM which I have seen people doing.

I would avoid it in PuGs not so much an issue as I don't PuG.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:

No, the guild renown exploit included the trogs in DQ1 and people were banned for that.  I haven't heard of anyone getting banned because they were "associated" somehow with the person/people doing it - using that logic, the whole guild could get banned for one or two people exploiting.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
My understanding also was that this exploit(?) involved the never ending trog spawn in ADQ1.  Never heard anything about the water chest. 

But to be fair, I'd probably not turn it into an official question.  I just ran ADQ1 for the first time on epic yesterday, and noticed one could beeline to the water chest and recall.  I think the problem becomes a problem when too many people start posting that kind of stuff.  Much like Elaudin mentioned, posting lfms for it and such.  That's when it will get ugly.  Because invaribly, someone will complain to Turbine until they take action. 

More to the original question though; it strikes me as no more of an 'exploit' than the folks who farm scrolls in the first room of Wizzy King and other epic quests.  Has anyone noticed though that the drop rate of epic scrolls had had some tweaking done?  Our guild just did Bargian of Blood on epic last night.  We couldn't help but to notice the skimpy drop rate of tokens/scrolls.  No shards/seals to be found anywhere either.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I know people who were chest farming,  but I haven't heard of anyone being banned for it. I think if you post window farming in and LFM and it is reported, they may ban you.   They have modified some chests based on loot farming, but the biggest impact was after they found out that you couldn't ransack them on Epic.

IP Logged

Hakushi
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I looted these chests myself, and from the definition of what exploiting is, looting these chests is not an exploit. It became one when epic became available and they forgot to tag epic chests for ransack so you could loot these chests endlessly and always getting loot. They never changed ADQ1 and added the ransack timer on the chests for a reason. They would have added doors or keys if it was a problem.

DDO characters:

Raika, Carolanne, Coriza, Alexandra, Samara, Zaretta, Katina, Carelle, Nathalya, Karia, Kristina, Nausikaa, Carietta, Magaly, Rosanna, Venusia, Hetoff, Zyvorra, Zazumi, Isabella

IP Logged

Garth
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
one of my guildies got a ban for resetting dq1 over and over again and looting those 3 chests over and over

but I think it was during the bansweep associated with the guild levelling exploit (in dq1 also) so I think he might have just been collateral damage.  Still not fair but it partially explains it.

I still do the dq1 and von4 chest ransacking every week with a f2p mule resetting me, and I've never been banned for it

Garth

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Fuck Tarrant- I PM'ed him a week ago asking how/where to report a genuine exploit and he never responded.  I then PM'ed him reminding him and still no response. 

Then my forum acc't got banned/perma-modded and I found a bug w. radiant servant.... can't use the bug report function now.

They say they want to know about these things, but they don't and even when they find out, they don't do shit about it.

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 6:12am:
Fuck Tarrant- I PM'ed him a week ago asking how/where to report a genuine exploit and he never responded.  I then PM'ed him reminding him and still no response. 

Then my forum acc't got banned/perma-modded and I found a bug w. radiant servant.... can't use the bug report function now.

They say they want to know about these things, but they don't and even when they find out, they don't do shit about it.

he claims to be open but is not. i've pmed him in the past and no response, so i dish the dirt in public and i get points from him. go figure

IP Logged

Nexx
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No, the guild renown exploit included the trogs in DQ1 and people were banned for that.  I haven't heard of anyone getting banned because they were "associated" somehow with the person/people doing it - using that logic, the whole guild could get banned for one or two people exploiting.

There were entire guilds being banned actually.  Do some research on the forums or even on the ddo fb page.. it's a few pages back.  Lame if you ask me.

IP Logged

Landar
Waterworks Kobold

Cannith Crystal Epic!

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure Catmeter on Sarlona got banned as a result of Guild Renown.  Of course, they weren't renown farming, they were Chinese Gold Farmers... however their high level of Guild Renown compared to their 42 members, and their similar equipment layouts all put together seems to have finally put up enough flags to make them obvious.

As for Tarrant not responding to stuff.. playing the devil's advocate, I imagine Tarrant/Toler0/MadFloyd all those peeps get more PMs than a sane person cares to respond to. 

Does that mean that they could maybe try a little harder?  Yeah probably.

Festivius/Hobadash/Kiarnan/McPhail ~ Eternal Wrath
Aneist/Oshkosch/Dalzeil ~ Silent Accord
Sarlona

IP Logged

Penwick
Korthos Resident

DDO is dead.

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There were entire guilds being banned actually.  Do some research on the forums or even on the ddo fb page.. it's a few pages back.  Lame if you ask me.

Phuck'em.  I did this just for kicks.  I'm starting to hate them.

IP Logged

Landar
Waterworks Kobold

Cannith Crystal Epic!

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Penwick wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:35pm:
Phuck'em.  I did this just for kicks.  I'm starting to hate them.

Nice Cheesy It makes me sad to see that they don't want screenshots like its.  Its just.. funny.

I'd like to see if I could get a screenie of 9001 kills in there.  But I like playing DDO Sad  Boo banhammer.

Edit : Nice job getting Conquest Bonus!  Wewt!
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:38pm by Landar »  

Festivius/Hobadash/Kiarnan/McPhail ~ Eternal Wrath
Aneist/Oshkosch/Dalzeil ~ Silent Accord
Sarlona

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 10:12am:

They may not have fixed it, but they deemed window farming an exploit in 2006, bro.

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Khaldan
Korthos Resident

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:51pm:
They may not have fixed it, but they deemed window farming an exploit in 2006, bro.

Does doing the run(I do the scorpion chest as well), followed by recalling, followed by putting up an lfm for a reset count as window farming? It's how I've farmed it for the past month on laglanis

IP Logged

woundweaver
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
eternal wrath got bumped 4 lvls for exploiting atdq1's trog respawn. as soon as we hit 9, they immediately rolled us back to 5. threatened us all with bans, and silenced us on the forums for a day.
a few of you negged the hell out of me for trying to warn that they were watching whos doing what. only after a handful of pm's did i get my rep back from those that gave it to me, later on. (yes, there was a bug for awhile that i could see who gave me rep, be it pos or neg!!)
turbine likes to act and not respond. not getting a response is nothing unusual. they prolly read it, and watched you for awhile to see if you are exploiting. if you are, you will be silently removed without a peep. ew reported it on lammannia, and sarlona with about 50 bug reports and tickets inquiring the exploit. got no answer, took as WAI, and farmed the hell out of it.

nothing is WAI anymore. funny thing was that while punishing us for it, they congratulated others publicly for 20,000 kills in there. i almost cancelled then
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2010 at 3:59pm by woundweaver »  

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #22 - May 22nd, 2017 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Live my minion!

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #23 - May 22nd, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
but why?

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

HernandoCortez
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
They can't afford to ban any more people. This game is so dead now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint