Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need some help with UI (it's bugged) (Read 4562 times)
Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Need some help with UI (it's bugged)
Sep 7th, 2010 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I'm desperate.

My UI settings revert every single time I log out or DC.  It takes my PTT bindings, my hotkeys, everything... sucks, because I forget to hard-target and my Cometfalls go flying off into nowhere land.  Angry

I've tried re-installing the client... nada, zip, no-fix.

This happened all of a sudden one day- they were fine for months... so now I am turning to you nice vaulties to see if there is a solution.

Thanks!

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Re: Need some help with UI (it's bugged)
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hook up your mouse to a hamster wheel, add a hamster with ADHD, so you never log out.  Problem solved!

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 3:38pm:
I'm desperate.

My UI settings revert every single time I log out or DC.  It takes my PTT bindings, my hotkeys, everything... sucks, because I forget to hard-target and my Cometfalls go flying off into nowhere land.  Angry

This happened all of a sudden one day- they were fine for months... so now I am turning to you nice vaulties to see if there is a solution.

Thanks!

Knowing your OS will help.  But here are my first thoughts:

Check your ...\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\ddo.keymap file to see if it got screwed up in some way.  Make sure you still have write privileges to the file and the folder it's in.

If that looks good, make your changes and see if the file updates.  If it does, make a copy before you exit DDO.

If not, then fuck, I dunno.  You could try making your changes on another computer and copying that file over.  Once you get it set, you could try making it read only.  I have no idea how DDO will respond to that though.

Good luck.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 3:38pm:
I'm desperate.

Thanks!

Now that I think about it, isn't there an option to have DDO save or not save your custom UI settings?  If I'm right, then maybe that got flipped.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Nevynn wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 4:09pm:
Knowing your OS will help.  But here are my first thoughts:

Check your ...\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\ddo.keymap file to see if it got screwed up in some way.  Make sure you still have write privileges to the file and the folder it's in.

If that looks good, make your changes and see if the file updates.  If it does, make a copy before you exit DDO.

If not, then fuck, I dunno.  You could try making your changes on another computer and copying that file over.  Once you get it set, you could try making it read only.  I have no idea how DDO will respond to that though.

Good luck.

OS is (ugh) Vista.
Thanks for the pointers, I'll get on it.

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 5:08pm:
OS is (ugh) Vista.
Thanks for the pointers, I'll get on it.

"ugh" is right.  Upgrade that shit to 7 ASAP.  Or better (but more complicated) yet, go back to XP.

Since it's Vista, you may want to look at UAC.  It can wreak havoc on shared files.  If you want, you can just turn it off:

Open the Start Menu, and type "cmd" into the little search box.  You should get one result, "cmd.exe".  Right click that, and select "Run as Administrator". 

Then, copy/paste the following command into that window:

Code
Select All
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f 

Reboot, and UAC will bother you no more.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Two years now running on Vista with UAC enabled, without issue.  Switched from 32-64 bit somewhere in there.

I'm no fan of Windows but I think the Vista complaints were only valid for a small amount of time.  It has by far been much smoother than my fairly extensive XP experience.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Its actually easier to just delete the system32 folder.  Fixes all of the problems with Vista.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 2:07am:
Two years now running on Vista with UAC enabled, without issue.  Switched from 32-64 bit somewhere in there.

I'm no fan of Windows but I think the Vista complaints were only valid for a small amount of time.  It has by far been much smoother than my fairly extensive XP experience.

I've never run Vista long enough to work out the kinks.  Maybe if they'd gotten around to a re-release that included a service pack to fix all the stability issues.

XP has never given me any problems I didn't ask for.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn stable if you don't fuck with it.  Vista felt like it was rushed out the door, without a good shakedown period.  Sort of like Windows ME.  7 seems like a much more mature OS, though it shares Vista's bloated install size and system requirements.

Why the fuck Microsoft thinks an OS should be over 5GB installed and require a DirectX 9 capable graphics card is beyond me.  When XP SP3 installs started hitting 3GB I was appalled.  And now 7 x64 wants 20GB free before it will install without complaining.  Bah!

I may swap over to Ubuntu.  Apparently DDO runs fairly well under Wine, and Steam now has a linux client. That's pretty much everything I play right there.  Anything else can probably be handled under a virtual machine.  Like SC2.  Though I'll have to see how well it plays under a VM before doing anything rash.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Windows 7 Professional x64 is your friend... Smiley

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 11:35am:
Windows 7 Professional x64 is your friend... Smiley

We're getting more and more 7 Pro x64 machines where I work.  They're ok, but more of a pain in the ass than they're worth.  The come with IPv6 defaulted on, which is a pain in the ass with our Server 2003 DNS servers.

I use 7 Ultimate x64 at home for my HTPC, and it's great for that.  I just haven't seen anything I want on 7 that I don't have on XP, outside of the media stuff. 

When the day comes that I find something 7 can do that XP can't, I'll swap.  Well, something I care about.  I don't give a fuck about Aero themes, or shit like that.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Nevynn wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:24pm:
We're getting more and more 7 Pro x64 machines where I work.  They're ok, but more of a pain in the ass than they're worth.  The come with IPv6 defaulted on, which is a pain in the ass with our Server 2003 DNS servers.

I use 7 Ultimate x64 at home for my HTPC, and it's great for that.  I just haven't seen anything I want on 7 that I don't have on XP, outside of the media stuff. 

When the day comes that I find something 7 can do that XP can't, I'll swap.  Well, something I care about.  I don't give a fuck about Aero themes, or shit like that.

DX10 makes DDO look very nice!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:51pm:
DX10 makes DDO look very nice!

I admit that's a minor temptation.  But even DX9 with everything turned up is awfully pretty.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Nevynn wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:50am:
I've never run Vista long enough to work out the kinks.  Maybe if they'd gotten around to a re-release that included a service pack to fix all the stability issues.

I think they did, though they must not have advertised it.

My copy of Vista (as well as the wife's) came with SP1 included.  A friend also obtained a post-SP1 copy and has been quite happy with it as well. 

I agree with your assessment of it being rushed out the door.  The SP1 version has been fantastic.  Though I really wish they'd straighten out their overhead problems with things like search or exploring folders (prevalent in all Windows versions).

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:09pm:
I think they did, though they must not have advertised it.

My copy of Vista (as well as the wife's) came with SP1 included.  A friend also obtained a post-SP1 copy and has been quite happy with it as well. 

I agree with your assessment of it being rushed out the door.  The SP1 version has been fantastic.  Though I really wish they'd straighten out their overhead problems with things like search or exploring folders (prevalent in all Windows versions).

True.  The Vista/7/Server 2008 Windows Explorer drives me a little crazy.  It takes for fucking ever to search in, or get the properties of, large folder structures.  I'm also sure there are easier ways to do things like go up one folder (which is different from their "back" button), but I haven't learned those shortcuts yet.  Godmode is pretty neat though.

I also dislike how inconvenient they made mixing XP and Vista/7 machines.  Sharing printers and multimedia over a network is needlessly difficult, and sometimes impossible, between the two OS generations.  And don't get me started on the lack of an upgrade path.

When push comes to shove, I won't bitch much when I upgrade to 7.  If they'd made it easy to upgrade I probably would have done it already on most of my seven XP machines.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Thank Gornn for Google Desktop and/or Cygwin... enabling work on Windows for years!  Grin

A buddy of mine was talking about the XP->7 upgrade process.  Apparently there's no easy way to do so without losing <a lot of semi-important stuff>.  I guess someone called up MS support and asked how to accomplish what they were trying to do.  Apparently there's only one way for it to happen: you have to upgrade from XP to Vista then from Vista to 7.

One problem: they don't sell Vista anymore.  Get this: the MS help desk told him that the only way he could do what he was trying to do was to find a pirated copy of Vista to use.    Smiley

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:08pm:
Thank Gornn for Google Desktop and/or Cygwin... enabling work on Windows for years!  Grin

A buddy of mine was talking about the XP->7 upgrade process.  Apparently there's no easy way to do so without losing <a lot of semi-important stuff>.  I guess someone called up MS support and asked how to accomplish what they were trying to do.  Apparently there's only one way for it to happen: you have to upgrade from XP to Vista then from Vista to 7.

One problem: they don't sell Vista anymore.  Get this: the MS help desk told him that the only way he could do what he was trying to do was to find a pirated copy of Vista to use.    Smiley

I believe it about the Vista thing.  They've cut their losses on it.  They're more uptight about pirated XP than Vista.

As far as losing anything important, Microsoft put out the User State Migration Tool for XP that will basically grab all the user profiles and shared stuff like music, pictures, video, and whatnot.  But it won't do installed applications or settings.  Even though it's all command line, it's actually pretty easy to use if you aren't doing anything complicated, like changing users from one domain to another.

The handy thing is that it creates a file that the Windows 7 Easy Migration thingyjigger will use.  Which, btw, is a fucking phenomenal tool.  So far as I can tell, they just wrapped that USMT all up in a pretty GUI and gave it a new name.  So moving your shit from one OS to another isn't hard, but then you gotta reinstall all your apps and drivers and shit.

And that just sucks my will to live.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

(.)
Waterworks Kobold

Ebading a van XD

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint