Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) has anyone genuinely found a good use for a helf? (Read 8964 times)
ScaredyCat
Ex Member

has anyone genuinely found a good use for a helf?
Oct 21st, 2010 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
i keep thinking... oh i could do that... but that dilentte feat... but if i did that then this is redundant... and just going in circles.

um?

atm i want to do a high saves fvs build and was trying to wrap it around helves but it just doesn't fit... i think i'm just going to stick to halfling i guess...

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Re: has anyone genuinely found a good use for a helf?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
You could make a FvS that gets all martial weapon proficiencies.

And the Sorcerer dilletante apparently can use all wands instead of all Arcane wands.

Both of those still seem... meh.

fnord

IP Logged

Zippo
Hooters

Ooooh what's this button
do?

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 9:13pm:
You could make a FvS that gets all martial weapon proficiencies.

And the Sorcerer dilletante apparently can use all wands instead of all Arcane wands.

Both of those still seem... meh.

The battle cleric with all  martial feats or the FvS with all martial feats are the only thing I have even remotely found so far.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Would you take a feat that gave you 4AC, 10DR, 20% concealment, and 30 resist energy (all)?  I'd take that even if it wasn't free.

(Arcane wand feat could be very useful for a non-UMD melee: Shield 10th, Blur 10th, Resist Energy 12th, stoneskin)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
found a great use for half elves...

mock 'em

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:00pm:
Would you take a feat that gave you 4AC, 10DR, 20% concealment, and 30 resist energy (all)?  I'd take that even if it wasn't free.

(Arcane wand feat could be very useful for a non-UMD melee: Shield 10th, Blur 10th, Resist Energy 12th, stoneskin)

this is the one that intrigued me the most... but i read it as level 1 only and wasn't sure that there was much on level 1 that was useful - those spells would make it kickpowering overpowered surely?

then there's the monk ac one if you're *not* taking any monk (huh? lol)

cleric one makes no sense.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
this is the one that intrigued me the most... but i read it as level 1 only and wasn't sure that there was much on level 1 that was useful - those spells would make it kickpowering overpowered surely?

I haven't tested it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  One level of (pick a caster) will allow you to use (class-appropriate) wands of any level so long as your character meets or exceeds the min level requirement of the wand.  This half-elf feat should be no different.

Quote:
cleric one makes no sense.

Isn't that "use cleric wands"?  Same thing, just less useful.  Cure wands (including cure crit), recitation/prayer wands, erm, well, that's pretty much it since potions have funnels.

Back in the day, the cleric feat would have made half-elves uber to the point of being nerfed.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:32am by Strakeln »  

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:29am:
I haven't tested it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  One level of (pick a caster) will allow you to use (class-appropriate) wands of any level so long as your character meets or exceeds the min level requirement of the wand.  This half-elf feat should be no different.

Isn't that "use cleric wands"?  Same thing, just less useful.  Cure wands (including cure crit), recitation/prayer wands, erm, well, that's pretty much it since potions have funnels.

Back in the day, the cleric feat would have made half-elves uber to the point of being nerfed.

oh ! (/penny drops) ...so yes points in UMD still? second thoughts... maybe i don't get this... i'll have to play around...

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 12:29am:

I would love to see confirmation of this somehow.  About to take one of my FvS and TR them into a half elf.  When I originally looked at it, it didn't seem very useful to take anything but the fighter dil feat.  I figured martial weapon proficiency would be pretty useful in sticky spots on a FvS.  However, if the dil feat scales with your levels, there is no freaking way I'd pass up a shot at using arcane wands with impunity...

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 1:04am
Print Post  
From the wiki:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante
Quote:
Half-Elven Dilettante: Sorcerer

* Prereqs: Half-Elf, 13 Charisma
    * Benefit: Your travels and adventures seem to have awakened a bit of power within your blood. You are able to use wands and scrolls as if you were a level one sorcerer, and for item use purposes you count as a level one sorcerer in addition to any other classes you possess. This feat is not recommended for characters with actual sorcerer levels

Now the part I'm confused about seems to be whether that would actually work out later in the game.  For example, if I pick up a blur level 10 wand at level 10 FvS, would I be able to use it without a UMD check?

The text in the wiki seems to suggest not, but Strakeln you seem to be alluding that it would.  More info please, if you will...

IP Logged

Zippo
Hooters

Ooooh what's this button
do?

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Madcow430 wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 1:04am:
From the wiki:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante

Now the part I'm confused about seems to be whether that would actually work out later in the game.  For example, if I pick up a blur level 10 wand at level 10 FvS, would I be able to use it without a UMD check?

The text in the wiki seems to suggest not, but Strakeln you seem to be alluding that it would.  More info please, if you will...

This is the main reason why I considered the feat minimally useful, if it only allows the use of level 1 wands then what it allows is marginally useful.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Wands are based on character level, not class level.  You do not need to be a level 10 wizard to use a level 10 shield wand.  The feat gives you level one in that class.  For all intents and purposes of understanding anyways.

Scrolls, on the other hand, are based on class level.  Therefore, a different story.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:04am
Print Post  
The FvS past life allow you to use Cure Serious at 5 I don't see why the arcane would work different.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Well then that's perfect.  Half Elves get their scimmy line of enhancements.  And being able to use wands at level works out rather well.  I've a ton of them left over from my exploiter ranger before I TR'd him. 

This could be fun...

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Madcow430 wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 9:00am:
Well then that's perfect.  Half Elves get their scimmy line of enhancements.  And being able to use wands at level works out rather well.  I've a ton of them left over from my exploiter ranger before I TR'd him. 

This could be fun...

I've had a few characters over the years that I would splash one level of wizard into just for the ability to use wands.  It was well worth it, for example, on my WF monk (repair critical plus the aforementioned shield/blur/stoneskin/Resists), at least until they came out with level 20 (10DR/epic) and the capstone.  Getting the same gains for a free feat is really powerful, IMO.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Before you make fun of me, remember I suck at building characters.

Wouldn't a half elf cleric with the fighter dilettante feat be ok, especially for leveling?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:24am
Print Post  
If you want a melee Cleric, absolutely.  People splash a full fighter level primarily for proficiencies.  I think there are a lot of ways to tweak builds with this free feat.  If the enhancement lines are any good it could have some really cool bonuses.

Like Strakeln said, the caster one is a great way to get some UMD benefits w/o UMD.  The Cleric/FVS one gives wand healing. probably scrolls...haven't tested that yet.

Half elves aren't packing heat like half orcs...my level 6 ho Barb is like a little bulldozer.  However, they aren't that far off power from a straight human for most builds.  There are much more subtle benefits as opposed to the hit you in the face benifits of HO which I fully expect to be nerfed. 

The big  thing that makes them seem crappy is that some of the Dilettante feats are  ridiculous and useless.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:38am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:24am:
The big  thing that makes them seem crappy is that most of the Dilettante feats are  ridiculous and useless.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Film
Korthos Resident

plausible deniability

Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Slapped into a loaf of freedom bread and thrown at Horcs to keep them leveling.

And Bard with Fighter feat works pretty well up to level 7 so far.  Not to sure about end game.

Wife made a Caster with Cleric feat to self heal...not gonna replace any known Caster build!

So, yeah, Horc food!

Give the laziest person, the hardest job, and they will find the easiest way to do it!

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #19 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I agree that Turbine could have done a much better job with half elves.  The 'meh' is strong with this race.  Yet, I like the idea of making one of my hybrids wand capable without kicking myself and agonizing about what to sacrifice for passable umd.

Haven't taken the plunge yet, but getting close.  Soulbro has 4 shrouds til a possible +3 tome.  I'd hate to lose out on the chance.  Originally, he was to be a casting fvs.  I am really, really unimpressed with the amount of raid gear you need to have a passable dc with max wisdom.  I've since given up on that idea...

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #20 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:09am
Print Post  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3378770&postcount=20'

Still no infractions yet stainer lol

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 7:44pm:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3378770&postcount=20'

Still no infractions yet stainer lol

Now THAT was funny!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:16pm:
Now THAT was funny!

I know lol i deleted the character just to avoid any in game moderating lol, but it was funny shit.

I did spend about 10 mins scouring the net for a photo of Katy  (his wife) looking angry to post with it but no luck.

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:29pm:
I know lol i deleted the character just to avoid any in game moderating lol, but it was funny shit.

I did spend about 10 mins scouring the net for a photo of Katy  (his wife) looking angry to post with it but no luck.

Here ya go:

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint