Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone else trying out Pathfinder? (Read 8160 times)
Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Reply #100 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 1st, 2011 at 4:17pm:
Hi Welcome

You must owe Milamber a shit load in royalty fees.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #101 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:21am:
You must owe Milamber a shit load in royalty fees.

Hola Bienvenido
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2011 at 9:09am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #102 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 6:23am:
I would just like to say, DM's aren't as powerful as many think.  Sure they can just rofflestomp you, but that is when you know you have won.  Maybe not the campaign, but you have won the battle between DM and Player.  This, this is the battle that truly matters.  The goblins, leveling, classes, races, giants, dragons, cities, these are all just tools at your disposal.  How you use them is up to you.  What matters is the age old battle, between DM and Player.  You poor noobs have forgotten this, it is time you remember.

My campaigns are littered with the tears of broken players who were rofflestomped.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #103 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 5:15am:
For my groups 4.0 experiment, I have decided on my build.  The unkillable revenant vampire.  He expects me to pwn shit in my typical 3.5 style, so he has prepared for it according to insider sources (my bro).  Now, I simply will not be able to die, it will be the greatest aggravation ever.

That's actually very easy to do. As in you'd have to try hard not to do it, just because it's so hard to make anything die there.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #104 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 4:46pm:
That's actually very easy to do. As in you'd have to try hard not to do it, just because it's so hard to make anything die there.

One of the characters I was playing while trying out 4.0 was a Human Priestess of Sune (Heartwarder).
Clerics still own the game. She walked through dungeons and had over half the mobs fighting for her. It was pathetic. Boy, they sure fixed the balance issues. Pfft.

Then I tried a fighter chain master. My turn, dead monster. Next?

Dragonborn monk. Forgeddaboutit. Couldn't touch me.

Solo monsters? Soloed by one person is more like it.

And I am not a CharOp type player, nor a basket weaver. My campaigns tend to be high end, but I try to stress character development and role playing in between the combat stuff. If I can do it, I shudder at the thought of what guys like Hi can do.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #105 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 4:46pm:

Very true.  I am still trying to figure out how he would get me into a life threatening position.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #106 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
One of the characters I was playing while trying out 4.0 was a Human Priestess of Sune (Heartwarder).
Clerics still own the game. She walked through dungeons and had over half the mobs fighting for her. It was pathetic. Boy, they sure fixed the balance issues. Pfft.

Then I tried a fighter chain master. My turn, dead monster. Next?

Dragonborn monk. Forgeddaboutit. Couldn't touch me.

Solo monsters? Soloed by one person is more like it.

And I am not a CharOp type player, nor a basket weaver. My campaigns tend to be high end, but I try to stress character development and role playing in between the combat stuff. If I can do it, I shudder at the thought of what guys like Hi can do.

4th edition is trivial to break. Most of the breaks are defensive. Enemies can't hit, can't damage you fast enough to ever kill you, etc. A few are offensive. These tend to be fixed, because killing things in less than 3 hours is not RAI. There's probably still a few around, but really, anyone that wants to grind on a mob for a while to kill it has DDO, where the process only takes a few seconds or maybe a few minutes for bosses and all the math is done for you as you knock down 300k HP 100 at a time or whatever. So I don't really keep up with 4th edition.

At least 3.x hides the true game breakers well enough that you have to actually look for them. Yeah, you can find power characters by accident, but not infinite loops and the like.

And to answer your question Epoch, same way as all the other herpaderpies carriers. Make up some power tripping bullshit to fuck with you for the lulz, as learning the actual rules of the actual game is too much effort for his GIANT MANLY BRAIN to handle.

But back to 3.5. By default, non casters are pretty fucking bad. But unlike PF, they can at least be made decent with enough work. Granted, it's like trying to do a ToD at level 12 - even if you can, it'd take less time and effort to go get 8 more levels and better gear but it is possible. That's something.

It is kind of telling though how much of the problem isn't that being a non caster is bad, but that doing HP damage is bad and being someone who really can't do anything else is what leads to the problem, but not the problem itself.

This led to the following paraphrased exchange:

DM: So... *rolls dice* The berserker does 71 points of damage.
Player: What the fuck, what level is that guy?
DM: 2.
Player: *jaw drop, weird look* That was a crit, right?
DM: Nope!
Player: ...

What's the moral of this story? If you're only going to live a round or two, and likely won't get a chance to act, you had damn well better make any chance you do get count.

Well that and don't let them get multiple buffs up, as that's a violation of the first principle.

Sure, 71 damage is still atypical (20-30 is more common for decent non caster characters at this level) but if you want to show players this isn't normal D&D, where non casters are pinatas to be busted throw a few Berserkers at them.

The target survived by the way (just because the enemy is level 2 doesn't mean the party is).

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #107 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
He killed my dreams with saying that we are in Dark Sun, only PHB 1 & 3, the Dark Sun book thing, and MM 1 is allowed.

I guess I will just go to a defiler caster and pwn everything the old fashioned way.  Oh well.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #108 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:01am
Print Post  
We are playing in Dark Sun is code for "I am a power tripping douchebag with a small penis, please shatter my GIANT MANLY BRAIN and poor pathetic world".

You know what to do.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #109 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:01am:
We are playing in Dark Sun is code for "I am a power tripping douchebag with a small penis, please shatter my GIANT MANLY BRAIN and poor pathetic world".

You know what to do.

I feel like the game starts off bad.  It is already one move from checkmate, and the game doesn't even start for another week.  I love it.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #110 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
That is because 4th edition is written for uncreative, unintelligent fuckwits.

And yet even it is better than Pathfailure, as 4th edition is at least different than what came before. Different and worse in every way, but that's still better than the same except worse in every way.

But a simple script can play 4th edition without ever referencing anything context dependent, like terrain, or the opposition.

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #111 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 8th, 2011 at 8:01am:

You know what to do.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

HATE, HATE, HATE Darksun for exactly that reason.

If you want to fuck with the DM and do it less obviously than defiler, try Thri-Kreen with a couple fighter and barb levels, then go ranger for the free 2 wep feats, choose a metabolic psionic talent for non dispellable stat buffs, get multi-attack feat and go to town as a blender that can't be hit. Works with the Chatchkas too.

DM got really pissed when he ate the enemies and dead PC's too. Said it was his belief that their spirits would make me stronger. Needless to say, Dark Sun campaigns become verboten because of how ridiculous the setting was.

That is 3.5 though. Not sure what the details are for 4th.

Hi can probably give you better pointers on the build.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:49am by »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #112 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:15am
Print Post  
If I played a melee I think that would blow everyone out of the water.  I just don't know of any melee builds in 4e that can do half as well as a caster.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:21am
Print Post  
You useless fucks are still prattling on?  Jesus I hope you brought enough lotion to this jerk off festival for the rest of us.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #114 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:21am:
You useless fucks are still prattling on?  Jesus I hope you brought enough lotion to this jerk off festival for the rest of us.

You say that like you contribute.  Give me some drama to move on and I will.  Until then, 4e is better then the current drama here - which is pretty sad to say the least.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #115 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:47am:
You say that like you contribute.  Give me some drama to move on and I will.  Until then, 4e is better then the current drama here - which is pretty sad to say the least.

Not even really drama. Just delusional dumbfucks trying to defend their right to be useless gimps, and me and others laughing at them for it.

As for Dark Sun, what with all the high level casters and psions around playing something with bad saves is asking to die no matter what sort of damage it does. In fact, more damage becomes a liability.

*Dominate*
*Wait*
*Kill bug man*

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:47am:

I only contribute when I see people dragging games systems that are superior to anything else out there through the mud in a pathetic attempt to stroke each other raw over power gaming bullshit.

Drama?  Useless.

Pathfinder?  Trumps 4E, beats out 3.5 by adding to Melees abilities with new and more useful feats, better interpretations of class abilities and the archetype system allowing for more personalized characters.

If your DM is a fuckwit that just derps around while douchebags powergame?  Just step away from the table and go play DDO.  Powergamers paradise.  Just keep your crusty cum stained hands off the table top games!

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #117 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 4:17am
Print Post  
A DM cannot stop a true player.  You can break them before the DM knows what is going.  You see, all is ignored when you roleplay appropriately.  Then, then you break out your true intentions, and destroy nations.

Also, for 3.5, if your DM couldn't figure out how the battle system worked for melee... Then you should find a DM with an IQ above 70, not below.

Pathfinder was retarded, it made casters more broken, and melee flashier but still full of gimp.  4e is pretty much the same thing.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #118 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 4:17am:
A DM cannot stop a true player.  You can break them before the DM knows what is going.  You see, all is ignored when you roleplay appropriately.  Then, then you break out your true intentions, and destroy nations.

Also, for 3.5, if your DM couldn't figure out how the battle system worked for melee... Then you should find a DM with an IQ above 70, not below.

Pathfinder was retarded, it made casters more broken, and melee flashier but still full of gimp.  4e is pretty much the same thing.

Lol. Not exactly. Melee didn't really get flashier. They just got beaten with the nerfbat, and then given lots of makeup so the signs of domestic abuse wouldn't show. It's really sad, especially when some fuckwit like Cleavage over there thinks that they actually came out of this better off. Seriously, the fuckwit thinks melee feats got better. That's a special kind of delusion.

4th edition is entirely worthless as well. But at least it's something different, and not the same car after some crack whores stole it and used it as their base of operations for a few weeks.

Cleavage of course has no answer to this, because he is a basket weaver that can only spew his herpaderpies everywhere, channel ancient Egypt in a manner that does not involve children's card games, and blame the DM and the players because if you don't think this less than worthless gaming system is the bestamest thing ever there must be something wrong with you.

Last I checked, having a functioning brain was not a negative condition. But do us all a favor there Cleavage and Iron Heart Surge your own brain away anyways. If it doesn't return a 404.

But ultimately though, basket weavers can't do anything but press the same tired non points. So I'd much rather talk to people like Epoch, who have things of actual value to say.

You'd be surprised how many adventures can be short manned. When you think about it, it starts making a lot of sense but a lot of adventurers supposedly designed for 4 people you can take 2, maybe 3 from and still just annihilate everything in your way. Epoch probably already knows why, but as a thought exercise I will see if anyone else can figure it out.

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #119 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:52am:
Lol. Not exactly. Melee didn't really get flashier. They just got beaten with the nerfbat, and then given lots of makeup so the signs of domestic abuse wouldn't show. It's really sad, especially when some fuckwit like Cleavage over there thinks that they actually came out of this better off. Seriously, the fuckwit thinks melee feats got better. That's a special kind of delusion.

4th edition is entirely worthless as well. But at least it's something different, and not the same car after some crack whores stole it and used it as their base of operations for a few weeks.

Cleavage of course has no answer to this, because he is a basket weaver that can only spew his herpaderpies everywhere, channel ancient Egypt in a manner that does not involve children's card games, and blame the DM and the players because if you don't think this less than worthless gaming system is the bestamest thing ever there must be something wrong with you.

Last I checked, having a functioning brain was not a negative condition. But do us all a favor there Cleavage and Iron Heart Surge your own brain away anyways. If it doesn't return a 404.

But ultimately though, basket weavers can't do anything but press the same tired non points. So I'd much rather talk to people like Epoch, who have things of actual value to say.

You'd be surprised how many adventures can be short manned. When you think about it, it starts making a lot of sense but a lot of adventurers supposedly designed for 4 people you can take 2, maybe 3 from and still just annihilate everything in your way. Epoch probably already knows why, but as a thought exercise I will see if anyone else can figure it out.

Because most adventures are way too linear and predictable. In addition most DM's too lazy to modify them to fit their playgroup.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #120 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:58am
Print Post  
That is true. But that isn't why they can be shortmanned easily. If that was all there was to it, going with a smaller party on the same adventure would be harder.

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #121 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:58am:
That is true. But that isn't why they can be shortmanned easily. If that was all there was to it, going with a smaller party on the same adventure would be harder.

I havent played since the early 2000's so other than what i state above, im not familiar enough with 3.0 and above to say. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:08am by Balthazar »  

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #122 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Because CODzilla, a wiz, and  a wtfever can burn through content with save or die save or suck spells, while doing decent melee bashing via buffs.

also, crafting makes the wizard better due to how the xp system works, i.e. make an item spend xp and fall behind a level, you will catch up if not the next fight, then the one after.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #123 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:24am:
Because CODzilla, a wiz, and  a wtfever can burn through content with save or die save or suck spells, while doing decent melee bashing via buffs.

also, crafting makes the wizard better due to how the xp system works, i.e. make an item spend xp and fall behind a level, you will catch up if not the next fight, then the one after.

Close enough. Most adventures are designed for a specific sort of party in mind. Now Balthazar assumed that I meant published modules but many of the ones that DMs make up on their own do this too assuming of course that they don't know any better.

That specific sort of party is a core only party of 4: Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard. Except core only Fighters are completely worthless, and core only Rogues are only slightly better. Core only Clerics and Wizards are still amazeballs, of course but that means for all practical purposes except one you have a two man party. And the one exception is that XP and loot are being split 4 ways instead of 2. So when you actually two man it, not only is it possible, it's actually easier than the assumed default as the adventure doesn't get any harder, but you do get double rewards for it.

These typically go on to say that deviating from this standard tends to make things very easy. Well that's also true. Chances are you are deviating by doing one of the following:

1: Adding lots of non core stuff to the Fighter and Rogue so they can do something besides pike and waste resources.
2: Replacing the Fighter and Rogue with classes of the same archetype that can actually pull their weight.
3: Replacing them with characters of a different archetype because their roles are mostly meaningless anyways.

And no matter what you pick, you end up with more than two contributing party members so it gets easier. Of course they tell you it's meant for four and all four are contributing which is a fucking lie, but this is what happens when the game or adventure designers say something and do not understand the implications of their own words.

In short, four box design is as bullshit in D&D as it is when Snootch tries to bring it into DDO.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #124 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Yeah I tend to play down the Wiz/Druid/Cleric when I play one so the group of non power gamers I play with won't get bitchy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint