Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone else trying out Pathfinder? (Read 8177 times)
Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Re: Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Reply #125 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 1:38pm:
That is because 4th edition is written for uncreative, unintelligent fuckwits.

First useful comment I've seen come out of you.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #126 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
So, Squelch, I'm curious, what RPGs do you like?  You don't seem to like 3.5 much, and clearly hate PF and 4E.  Are you a fan of the older editions?  Or other systems entirely?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #127 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:32am:
Yeah I tend to play down the Wiz/Druid/Cleric when I play one so the group of non power gamers I play with won't get bitchy.

I overplay them, so everyone hates me.  It is okay though, I do not need admiration from the weak.

Try saying that to your DM, the result, in my experience is definitely harsh.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #128 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 5:21am:
I overplay them, so everyone hates me.  It is okay though, I do not need admiration from the weak.

Try saying that to your DM, the result, in my experience is definitely harsh.

I tend to be the DM, so that doesn't really work.

I only am forced to play when we can't get enough people in the group.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #129 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:52am:
I tend to be the DM, so that doesn't really work.

I only am forced to play when we can't get enough people in the group.

I love you already, I hate DMing.  I spend half the time trying to tell people, " I see what you are doing, but I am not like you guys.  If you want to min max your characters, I will min-max the mobs.  Your choice, choose wisely."  Funny thing is, you think they would threaten me with the same.  Sad thing is, I would probably outsmart them.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #130 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I utterly hate Dm'ing (not really, but it's a pain in the ass to DM, organize, provide a place, access to food and drink), but I love DND so I get stuck running it since no one else will.

and I have no problem with min/max'rs personally, just no infinite loops, no 1d2 crusader, punpun, and the like.

I almost allowed the wish and the word, but the players couldn't grasp the concept of me letting them win (hint: I wasn't is was going to be a debacle of epic proportions)
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:58am by Invelios »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #131 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:57am:
I utterly hate Dm'ing (not really, but it's a pain in the ass to DM, organize, provide a place, access to food and drink), but I love DND so I get stuck running it since no one else will.

and I have no problem with min/max'rs personally, just no infinite loops, no 1d2 crusader, punpun, and the like.

I almost allowed the wish and the word, but the players couldn't grasp the concept of me letting them win (hint: I wasn't is was going to be a debacle of epic proportions)

See that isn't so bad.  One time, in a match (errm campaign) I built my Dread necromancer to incredible proportions.  I literally had several cities of undead and quite a few dragons.  Yes, mix-maxed the fuck out of it.  no, I do not remember the build - though I could probably figure it out again.  Well, I cast wish (i wanted to raise up an old Netherese city) and somehow - it was turned into me being teleported into Kelamvors plain.  Well, I gated in EVERYTHING I had and and epic battle began.  The dm wasn't really prepared for it - you think he would of by now eh? Anyways, I was coming up with a genius plan to take us to the astral plain - so I could readily kill Kelemvor so much easier.

Long story short - next weekend, he had kelemvor take us to the astral plain.  My brother and his friend both said, game over to the DM.  Then the Dm tried to fight - I have no idea what his build was or where he got it, but it certainly wasn't godly.  Long story short, I ascended to god of the dead.  Then the DM ended the campaign.  For some reason he thought I would do a straight up fight.  I delayed my inevitable death with stall tactics while my undead dragons on the plain made their way to kelemvors body.  Lols were had.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #132 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 12:58pm:
See that isn't so bad.  One time, in a match (errm campaign) I built my Dread necromancer to incredible proportions.  I literally had several cities of undead and quite a few dragons.  Yes, mix-maxed the fuck out of it.  no, I do not remember the build - though I could probably figure it out again.  Well, I cast wish (i wanted to raise up an old Netherese city) and somehow - it was turned into me being teleported into Kelamvors plain.  Well, I gated in EVERYTHING I had and and epic battle began.  The dm wasn't really prepared for it - you think he would of by now eh? Anyways, I was coming up with a genius plan to take us to the astral plain - so I could readily kill Kelemvor so much easier.

Long story short - next weekend, he had kelemvor take us to the astral plain.  My brother and his friend both said, game over to the DM.  Then the Dm tried to fight - I have no idea what his build was or where he got it, but it certainly wasn't godly.  Long story short, I ascended to god of the dead.  Then the DM ended the campaign.  For some reason he thought I would do a straight up fight.  I delayed my inevitable death with stall tactics while my undead dragons on the plain made their way to kelemvors body.  Lols were had. 

Man, there are so many shitty DMs out there, aren't there?  I mean, fuck, just add 99 more Kelemvors, given that he's a Greater God and can spam avatars throughout creation.  Might make the fight a wee bit harder.  Not to mention that he's got many, many more minions than you. 

Just fucking ridiculous.  I guess that I'd have such a hostile viewpoint regarding D&D if I were used to DMs being pushover morons who can't come up with a solution that has even the tiniest smidgen of creativity when their back's against a wall and they're playing a fucking God.  I mean.  Fuck.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #133 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm:
Man, there are so many shitty DMs out there, aren't there?  I mean, fuck, just add 99 more Kelemvors, given that he's a Greater God and can spam avatars throughout creation.  Might make the fight a wee bit harder.  Not to mention that he's got many, many more minions than you. 

Just fucking ridiculous.  I guess that I'd have such a hostile viewpoint regarding D&D if I were used to DMs being pushover morons who can't come up with a solution that has even the tiniest smidgen of creativity when their back's against a wall and they're playing a fucking God.  I mean.  Fuck. 

I go as far people let me.  I will push until I know the boundaries.  Online, P&P, real world interactions, I like to know my limits.  You let me make or break or you, I will do it every time.  You will notice that I never pull this shit when my bro is the DM.  There is a reason for it.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #134 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Not to Mention if Kelemvor ever was truly challenged Mistra would just cut off your magic.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #135 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:20pm:
Not to Mention if Kelemvor ever was truly challenged Mistra would just cut off your magic.

Well, pre-Crucible, that's true.  Afterward, probably not so much.  It's not really in here demesne and she learned some pretty important lessons about that sort of thing. 

I promise that I'm not that huge of a dork, I just re-read that series while bored at work/on airplanes a few months ago.  Tongue

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #136 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:10am
Print Post  
That was back when Kelemvor had the crystal Tower in the realm of the dead.  After Ao found out about kelemvors and midnights plannings to cut magic off from evil and allow only good people to wield it, they were punished because of laws of humanity or some such.  I don't recall what the exact law was called, but it had to do with humanity. 

After this kelemvor had a self realization - he failed his own test of judging the souls of the damned, and how could he judge them when he obviously could not live up to his expectations? So he changed the realm of the dead to a vast grey waste, no light and no dark.  Then he cut off midnight from friendship.  He changed his appearance to longer seem human in any way.  Then he became perfectly neutral in all things.  He seperated the realm of the dead into different areas, and those that lived alike were put into a certain area in the realm.  Rapists all in one, murderers, yadda yadda.

Anyways, midnight came back to his realm once more when some person whos name escapes me at the moment was thrown into the wall.  She wanted kelemvor to free him for her own means, he turned her down.  It all changed after that. 

Do your RESEARCH.  How can you be a P&P player and not know your history? I may be a colossal powergamer, but I know my lore.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #137 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:20pm:

1.  Mystra.

2.  Wrong.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #138 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:12am:
1.  Mystra.

2.  Wrong.

I know my lore, I just change it as I see fit Smiley

If I were truly going to let you fight a deity, I would ensure that the others had more than a passing interest in not letting you succeed.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #139 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I love being trolled, obviously.

Squelch, go sit and fucking spin man.  If your DM is a piece of shit, and you are a piece of shit, your game is a piece of shit.

It is obvious by the way you look at Pen and paper games. 

However, your internet troll skillz are pretty legendary, so I'll give you that.

Good DM, plus HIGHLY improved melee feats = Better.  YES spell casters are still broke as fuck.  If you still want to abuse them go right ahead.  My DM is smarter than yours obviously.

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #140 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 6:43pm:
I love being trolled, obviously.

Squelch, go sit and fucking spin man.  If your DM is a piece of shit, and you are a piece of shit, your game is a piece of shit.

It is obvious by the way you look at Pen and paper games. 

However, your internet troll skillz are pretty legendary, so I'll give you that.

Good DM, plus HIGHLY improved melee feats = Better.  YES spell casters are still broke as fuck.  If you still want to abuse them go right ahead.  My DM is smarter than yours obviously.

Obviously! After all, there is NO WAY anybody could have a different preference on how to play pen and paper games. There is ONLY ONE WAY to do it!

If you aren't all flower sniffing role players with no stat above 14 you are doing it wrong, and your GM SUCKS!!!

(The above is purely sarcasm, coming from someone who prefers to play a flower sniffing role player for PnP games.)

Now that I got that out of the way, if his group prefers to play the power creep game, and the GM knows how to handle it, then that's fine. Pathfinder isn't the system for someone who wants to do that. Problem is, if you want to play a game where melee can actually stand up to magic, Pathfinder isn't the system for that, either. Go look at Palladium Fantasy, where melee is king, and casters cry in terror of children in rock gardens. Wink Seriously, you want to claim your GM is better? Have him run Palladium. If he doesn't go running screaming into the woods, then you might just have a leg to stand on. (I happen to like Palladium, but it is probably because it makes the people I play with, who demand a game where the rules spell out every possible action you can try. I hate that. Role playing is for letting the imagination fly! Not for playing wargames with a bit of fluff attached. That's what 4E is for.)

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how are the melee feats highly improved in Pathfinder? I only read through it a little, so don't remember much. For example, I think power attack goes from taking off the first +5 attack bonus, to taking off one every 4 points or some, so only pure melee classes (and clerics with divine might, or wizards with whatever the tensor's transformation is called in that system) Rogues get dicked.

Trip, sunder, disarm are made nearly impossible thanks to the combat defense thing, which sounds like a good idea at first, but when I read over it a little more, kind of felt like it fell flat.

Don't get me wrong. Feats are awesome. Getting an extra 3 feats or so is always nice. Of course, it also pretty much knocks humans out of the game, unless you want a single specific stat without any penalties. Even then, better to go with half elf and take the pitiful bonuses they bring.

But, the point I was trying to get to, could you explain the improved combat feats to us please? I haven't seen anybody defending them in this thread yet, so if I simply missed it, a link or page number would be wonderful. Thank you!

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #141 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:06am:
I know my lore, I just change it as I see fit Smiley

If I were truly going to let you fight a deity, I would ensure that the others had more than a passing interest in not letting you succeed.

If you were going to truly let me fight a deity, I better not fucking win.  That is all I have to say.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #142 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:18am:
If you were going to truly let me fight a deity, I better not fucking win.  That is all I have to say.

I honestly have no problem with you winning, I just won't make it fucking easy, and you had better be high fucking level, I.e. 30+ or it wouldn't be worth the time.

And I can run games of any level including deities, Just deity games get boring what with the followers and all and prayers and having to answer them and do your job and run your domain, and you know be omniscient in your area of expertise instead of actually adventuring.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #143 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Siver wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:53am:
Obviously! After all, there is NO WAY anybody could have a different preference on how to play pen and paper games. There is ONLY ONE WAY to do it!

If you aren't all flower sniffing role players with no stat above 14 you are doing it wrong, and your GM SUCKS!!!

(The above is purely sarcasm, coming from someone who prefers to play a flower sniffing role player for PnP games.)

Now that I got that out of the way, if his group prefers to play the power creep game, and the GM knows how to handle it, then that's fine. Pathfinder isn't the system for someone who wants to do that. Problem is, if you want to play a game where melee can actually stand up to magic, Pathfinder isn't the system for that, either. Go look at Palladium Fantasy, where melee is king, and casters cry in terror of children in rock gardens. Wink Seriously, you want to claim your GM is better? Have him run Palladium. If he doesn't go running screaming into the woods, then you might just have a leg to stand on. (I happen to like Palladium, but it is probably because it makes the people I play with, who demand a game where the rules spell out every possible action you can try. I hate that. Role playing is for letting the imagination fly! Not for playing wargames with a bit of fluff attached. That's what 4E is for.)

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how are the melee feats highly improved in Pathfinder? I only read through it a little, so don't remember much. For example, I think power attack goes from taking off the first +5 attack bonus, to taking off one every 4 points or some, so only pure melee classes (and clerics with divine might, or wizards with whatever the tensor's transformation is called in that system) Rogues get dicked.

Trip, sunder, disarm are made nearly impossible thanks to the combat defense thing, which sounds like a good idea at first, but when I read over it a little more, kind of felt like it fell flat.

Don't get me wrong. Feats are awesome. Getting an extra 3 feats or so is always nice. Of course, it also pretty much knocks humans out of the game, unless you want a single specific stat without any penalties. Even then, better to go with half elf and take the pitiful bonuses they bring.

But, the point I was trying to get to, could you explain the improved combat feats to us please? I haven't seen anybody defending them in this thread yet, so if I simply missed it, a link or page number would be wonderful. Thank you!

Wow.  Someone who isn't just opening their mouth to hear themselves talk.  I would love to explain my reasoning to a thinking being.  Thank you for your thirst for information!

Power Attack: You may take a -1 to hit to receive a +2 bonus to damage.  +3 if you wield a two hander or a natural weapon that deals 1.5 str mod.  At BAB +4 it becomes -2 for +4.  So yes, Rogues do progress slower than Full base attack bonus classes.  This change is fine with me, though I understand some peoples gripes.

Dervish Dance:  A favorite of mine, Pre reqs- 13 Dex, Weapon Finesse 2 Ranks in perform Dance, Prof. with Scimitar.  Allows for Dex to be used for Attack and Damage with a scimitar, and Scimitar is treated as a one handed piercing weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon.(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat)

Double Slice:  Good for TWFers. Allows full strength bonus to offhand attacks. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/double-slice-combat---final)

Cleave/Great Cleave: I feel these feats are improved.  Now as a standard action you may make an attack.  If that attack hits, you may make the same attack at an adjacent foe.  Great Cleave lets you keep going until you miss.  Good for moving up and striking.

Higher Level Combat Feats:

Truthfully most of this stuff works best if you are a fighter, or straight up requires you to be a fighter.

Anyone can take:

Critical Focus:  +4 to confirm Critical Hits.  Sucks, but is the gateway to some of the best melee maneuvers.

Blinding Critical: Whenever you critically hit the target, it becomes blind.

Stagering Critical: Whenever you critically hit the taget, it becomes Staggered.

Stunning Critical: Whenever you critically hit the target it becomes stunned.

You get the picture.  These are available at level 11, and go up in BAB as they get more useful.

A Fighter with 14 BAB can take a feat allowing him to apply TWO effects on a critical hit.

Fighter Only:

Penetrating Strike:  Attacks ignore 5 points of damage reduction (As long as it can be bypassed)

As far as Combat maneuvers go, in practice they work well at low levels, and are scrapped at high levels then CMD gets too high to make such attacks likely.  That system doesn't work quite as well, but it is simple at least.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #144 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Siver wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:53am:

Oh, and about this part.  He is fine to play the way he wants, he is just king of the trolls.  Its obvious by the way he tries to look down on people and spout as much lack of information as anyone else.

Simply saying "I CAN HAZ POWER GAME IN 3.5 BUT NOT LIKE I WANT IN OTHER SYSTEM HERPA DERP" doesn't help the conversation in any way and is just dramatic posturing to provoke emotional response.  Lame but effective.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #145 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:29am:
I honestly have no problem with you winning, I just won't make it fucking easy, and you had better be high fucking level, I.e. 30+ or it wouldn't be worth the time.

And I can run games of any level including deities, Just deity games get boring what with the followers and all and prayers and having to answer them and do your job and run your domain, and you know be omniscient in your area of expertise instead of actually adventuring.

I never did say my level did I? This is the best part.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #146 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:01am:
I never did say my level did I? This is the best part.

Ok so spill it, what level?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #147 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:09am:
Ok so spill it, what level?

This is amazing.  I became a deity at level... wait for it....

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #148 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:25am
Print Post  

HOLY SHIT IS THAT IMPRESSIVE OR WHAT?!?

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #149 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I would have wiped the floor with you in under 5 minutes, unless I was having fun with the character, then I might just let it happen to see what you do Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint