Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spell list for leveling on a Fire Savant. (Read 7387 times)
aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Spell list for leveling on a Fire Savant.
Nov 11th, 2011 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I'm a total newb in regards to casters, and in particular to Sorcerers.
Nevertheless, I rolled a WF sorc just for fun and can't decide which spells to take. I've settled for a Fire Savant, probably with Acid as a second element, at least until I hit vale. Going Fire for now is partly a flavor decision, because I want to throw Fireballs and FWs.

This is a repost of http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=350087, but there seems to be some reluctance at the other place to give solid advice.

Are there better choices in spells than the following progression?

L1: Burning Hands [Jump at L7] / Repair Light Damage [Ray of Enfeeblement at  L12]
    L2: Niac’s Cold Ray [Magic Missile at L10 on Warforged]
    L3: Nightshield
    L4: Scorching Ray
    L5: Blur [Web at L11 ]
    L6: Haste
    L7: Fireball [Rage at L15] /  Repair Moderate Damage
    L8: Wall of Fire
    L9: Acid Blast / Dimension Door / Resist Energy
    L10: Cone of Cold
    L11: Displacement / Enervation [Fire Shield at L19] / Prismatic Ray [Cloudkill at L17]
    L12:  Reconstruct
    L13: Chain Lightning / Hold Monster [Break Enchantment at L20] / Stoneskin
    L14: Finger of Death
    L15: Acid Fog / Delayed Blast Fireball / Protection from Elements
    L16: Polar Ray
    L17: Horrid Wilting / Prismatic Spray
    L18: Wail of the Banshee
    L19: Energy Drain / Otto’s Irresistible Dance
    L20: Hold Monster, Mass

If you want to put the spells by spell level, that's also fine for me.

Since I get it as a SLA anyway, I'm going to swap out burning hands at lvl 6.

Is scorcing ray better than Melf's Acid Arrow?
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2011 at 1:05pm by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Spell list for leveling on a Fire Savant.
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Jump + Nightshield at level 1. Ditch RLD. I didn't take any repair spells until Reconstruct. Exp. retreat until you get haste, and as a low cost, long lasting alternative to haste when you're solo. Niac's on a fire sorc? Cone of cold? Polar ray? Get blur, rage and displacement asap. I didn't take any hold spells, and my wail is pathetic. I still have wail, but it's sad.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I pasted that list from tihocans build thread, and it's not taking care of savants in any form. Your advice sounds good. The character is level 4 already, and as I will solo a lot and don't have the founds for buying pots, I will stick to the repair spells still. So far, RLD has helped me a lot.

What about this spell list:
Edited:
see new spell list 3 posts below.

Level 1: Jump, Burning Hands (replace by Expedious Retreat at 6), Nightshield, RLD (replace by Magic Missles at 5ish)
Level 2: Melf's, RMD (replace by Blur at 7ish), Invisibilty, Resist Energy
Level 3: Haste, Fireball (replace by Rage at 15), Displacement, Acid Blast
Level 4:Wall of Fire, Stoneskin, Ddoor, Fire Shield
Level 5: Eladar's Electric Surge, Cloudkill, ???
Level 6: Reconstruct, Desintegrate, Acid Fog, ???
Level 7: DBF, FoD, ????
Level 8: Black Dragon Bolt, ???
Level 9: Wail, ???

The latter levels are not that improtant yet, as I won't be a Fire Savant then. Thoughts are much appreciated nevertheless.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:37am by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I like this in general, and am about to launch something similar.

I'm pretty sure I'd take Wall of Fire at 8, and maybe use wands or something for stoneskin. Wall is pretty sweet lvls 8-12.  Fire Shield can be scrolled in many situations.

I had fun with Scorch during the Mabar games.  Depends on where you are with Burning Hands and Scorching Ray.

At 5 I like having Cyclonic Blast to blow out clouds and stuff. Howler bracers can sorta handle this, but I like having the spell. I wanted to like Prismatic Ray but found it to be fairly crappy.

Polar Ray as you note would kinda depend on a PrE change.  I've been playing around with Black Dragon Bolt and Thamor's clickie and I'm not convinced yet-  I guess it would depend on enhancement choices a bit.

Even as a nuker CC options need to be somewhere thru 7-8-9.  Wail- MHM - Energy Drain seems to be a  reasonable set at 9.   

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 1:43pm:
I pasted that list from tihocans build thread, and it's not taking care of savants in any form. Your advice sounds good. The character is level 4 already, and as I will solo a lot and don't have the founds for buying pots, I will stick to the repair spells still. So far, RLD has helped me a lot.

What about this spell list:

Level 1: Jump, Burning Hands (replace by Expedious Retreat at 6), Nightshield, RLD (replace by Magic Missles at 5ish)
Level 3: Haste, Fireball (replace by Rage at 15), Displacement, Acid Blast
On the fire savant I just leveled up, I grabbed fireball, then haste, and then suggestion.  When I got higher up, I swapped out suggestion for displacement, and grabbed mass suggestion.  There are still a few quests where having a decent charm spell will let you just walk right through them.
Level 4:Stoneskin, RCD (replace by Wall of Fire at 12ish), Ddoor, Fire Shield
With metamagics behind it, repair mod will get you all the way up to reconstruct.  Grab the wall of fire right off the bat.  Dead things can't make you lose hit points.  Also, fire shield scrolls last a decent amount of time now, and they are fairly inexpensive.  Grab a stack of scrolls, and put something else in here until level 15 or higher.  I'd suggest enervate, until you can pick up level drain at a higher level.
Level 5: Eladar's Electric Surge, Cloudkill, ???
I'd add ball lightning in here, as well as Niacs biting cold.  Even with your fire savant levels, it will hit for a decent amount on boss mobs when you get to the third tier dot.
Level 6: Reconstruct, Desintegrate, Acid Fog, ???
For me, I'd skip the acid fog for now, and grab mass suggestion to help in leveling.  You can pick the acid fog back up later.
Level 7: DBF, FoD, ????
Perhaps disco ball?  Depends on your playstyle, I guess.
Level 9: Wail, ???
energy drain
The latter levels are not that improtant yet, as I won't be a Fire Savant then. Thoughts are much appreciated nevertheless.

Here are my suggestions.  I'm mainly duoing with my wife these days, so having a lot of versatility in quests is important.  If you group up a lot more, you might be able to restrict yourself a bit more.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post  
What kind of Fire shield scrolls are you talking about? The house K ones last for less than 2 Minutes, iirc. That's a bit too short for my taste. Nevertheless, the advice to scroll certain spells is a solid one. The Level 4 Spell list is edited.

I will probably solo a lot, as I am playing this toon on Wayfinder, also known as Nogroupfinder.

New Spell list:

Level 3: Fireball (replace by Rage at 15), Haste, Suggestion (replacable later on), Displacement
Level 5: Eladar's Electric Surge, Cloudkill, Ball Lightning, Niacs Biting Cold
Level 6: Reconstruct, Desintegrate, Mass Suggestion
Level 7: DBF, FoD, Disco Ball
Level 9: Wail, Energy Drain, ???

tbh, this rather looks like Electric is a second Element, rather than Acid. I don't mind that, actually.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:44am by aDifferentHandle »  

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:32am:
What kind of Fire shield scrolls are you talking about? The house K ones last for less than 2 Minutes, iirc. That's a bit too short for my taste. Nevertheless, the advice to scroll certain spells is a solid one. The Level 4 Spell list is edited.

I will probably solo a lot, as I am playing this toon on Wayfinder, also known as Nogroupfinder.

New Spell list:

Level 3: Fireball (replace by Rage at 15), Haste, Suggestion (replacable later on), Displacement
Level 5: Eladar's Electric Surge, Cloudkill, Ball Lightning, Niacs Biting Cold
Level 6: Reconstruct, Desintegrate, Mass Suggestion
Level 7: DBF, FoD, Disco Ball
Level 9: Wail, Energy Drain, ???

tbh, this rather looks like Electric is a second Element, rather than Acid. I don't mind that, actually.

Ya, I'm talking about those scrolls.  They last for about a min and a half, which is enough to get me through any fight (while leveling) that I need them for.  At cap when running things like ev6 you want the spell, but there isn't that much of a difference when leveling.  Just make sure that instead of putting just the scrolls themselves on your hotbar and having to pick which version you want everytime, you put the fire and ice picks directly onto your hotbar.  Makes it a lot easeir to recast.

For general purpose quests, I pick up the protection from energy scrolls and cast those.

I also picked up a stack of ice storm scrolls, just so I have some kind of area effect spell to pull aggro from fire immune creatures.  (Mainly for Kobold runs in the reavers refuge)

For level 8 and 9 spells, it's going to depend on which content you run at end game.

Otto's irresistable dance is pretty much a staple on my casters.  Other's get swapped in and out depending on what's needed for epic support.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint