Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Concordant effect with GS items (Read 56976 times)
Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Re: Concordant effect with GS items
Reply #125 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:06pm:
Sometimes I am glad work blocks YouTube, this argument over opinions is one of them Smiley

Felgor likes BBT, Oak doesn't.

Felgor dislikes the clips of Community he has seen, Oak loves them.

Felgor comes up with what he perceives Community to be about based on the clips presented and Oak bashes him for basing his opinion on THE ONLY BITS of Community he has seen.

So Felgor, go watch 2 episodes of Community then form an opinion.

Oak, give him a chance to change his opinion from actually having watched the show not the clips and then bash him if he doesn't like it Smiley

I think I did link the Spanish rap.  The only reason I can think of that he's so focused on the pot is because I'm a stoner?  Coz seriously.  There's a character dressed as a pot leaf in one episode, but that's because he's doing an anti-drug play.  That's as close as I can think of to a pot joke.  Tongue

It's such a tough show to sell because of the way that it builds, though.  So many of the little funny moments are only funny because of all of the weight behind them and the build-up and where they fit into where you expect the narrative to go. 

If someone is going to try a couple of episodes, I think I'd suggest the two-part finale of Season 2 - "A Fistful of Paintballs" and "For a Few Paintballs More."  Tongue  I guess.  It's hard to figure out the exact best place to sell it, but that's about as good as any. 

ETA: And of course, I'm also kind of being an extra bit of a dick on purpose.  Coz of it being fun and all.  I know, I know.  Sad
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:12pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #126 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 3:58pm:
The characters are just so thin and static to me that I really can't see them as being that analogous to real world people.  So little changes.  Through the first couple of seasons there was a bit of change, but then everyone just sort of retreated back into broad stereotypes that it makes me want to beat my face against a table or something.

If it were just some tiny little show that no one else cared about, I'd have a live and let live feeling about it.  But the fact that it feels so thin and ridiculous to me AND it's so popular (and of course, the vast majority of its audience being non-nerds who think 'Oh, this is what nerds are like!') makes me want to punch all of the fuck trophies in the whole damned world.  Individually and with great force. 

I can understand having a different experience with it, and even respect it, but it just makes my soul wither and sob.  http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png 

I see what you're saying about the character growth.  There's been very little, and it's been stretched across 4 seasons.  I think I overlook that part simply because I don't look at the characters as people, I see them as personifications of traits I see in my friends/co-workers.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #127 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't unilaterally say there are no decent uses of a laugh track, period.  The Muppet Show is an excellent example. 

I can pretty much just thumbs up this post and add nothing.  Tongue 

You're stupid enough to think it's about rap and pot jokes, so you've already thrown away your ability for your opinion on the subject to matter to me at all.  Thanks for stopping by, though!  Cheesy 

ETA: Okay, okay, I'll go ahead and add in that it's not a show that lends itself well to watching clips since the deep characterization and the build-up from organic situations is what really sells the show.  There's no way to squeeze that into two minutes. 

I know you like to squeeze things into where they don't fit so I will ignore the clips and check out a few eps.

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #128 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
That's possibly the biggest the problem with BBT with me. The writers don't treat the characters as people, they have zero respect for the characters.

I have to sort of wonder if people who find shit like that consistently funny have trouble seeing odd/different people as people.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #129 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:11pm:
I think I did link the Spanish rap.  The only reason I can think of that he's so focused on the pot is because I'm a stoner?  Coz seriously.  There's a character dressed as a pot leaf in one episode, but that's because he's doing an anti-drug play.  That's as close as I can think of to a pot joke.  Tongue

It's such a tough show to sell because of the way that it builds, though.  So many of the little funny moments are only funny because of all of the weight behind them and the build-up and where they fit into where you expect the narrative to go. 

If someone is going to try a couple of episodes, I think I'd suggest the two-part finale of Season 2 - "A Fistful of Paintballs" and "For a Few Paintballs More."  Tongue  I guess.  It's hard to figure out the exact best place to sell it, but that's about as good as any. 

ETA: And of course, I'm also kind of being an extra bit of a dick on purpose.  Coz of it being fun and all.  I know, I know.  http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png 

I still don't know if I love or hate you, but its a strong feeling. I started this after all. I guess I'm going paintballing this weekend.

Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #130 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:18pm:
That's possibly the biggest the problem with BBT with me. The writers don't treat the characters as people, they have zero respect for the characters.

I have to sort of wonder if people who find shit like that consistently funny have trouble seeing odd/different people as people.

Most of my friends are odd/different people, I still laugh at the nerd/geek type references, not so much the Characters, but the context.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #131 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Nevynn wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:13pm:
I see what you're saying about the character growth.  There's been very little, and it's been stretched across 4 seasons.  I think I overlook that part simply because I don't look at the characters as people, I see them as personifications of traits I see in my friends/co-workers.

cdr wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:18pm:

Exactly.  I'm a TV snob, don't get me wrong, I totally understand that I am.  But I just think that there's good writing and there's bad writing, and having no respect for your characters as human beings is one of the hallmarks of terrible, terrible writing. 

I don't think everything has to be brilliantly written by any stretch.  And I'm definitely okay with stupid and light comedy.  But just to reach for a recent example, I really love Raising Hope.  As the successor of My Name is Earl, it's absolutely as stupid as possible and pretty much revels in the stupidity of its characters.  But it's got heart and growth and learning and believable characterization and I just love the shit out of it.  It's not about the show being smart in and of itself, it's just about being well written.  Tongue

Felgor wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:19pm:
I still don't know if I love or hate you, but its a strong feeling. I started this after all. I guess I'm going paintballing this weekend.

I would totally suck the capsaicin out of your chili, if you know what I mean.  <3 

I really do hope you like it.  It's a lot of fun.  And it's really, really hard not to recommend the D&D episode first, considering that it kinda sets up the main plot of the paintball two parter.  Especially if you have some PnP experience.  But then we're talking about three episodes, and I'm definitely pushing it, obvs.  Tongue  So you should probably just check it out after you're already in love with the show after watching paintball.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:26pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

Bazinga
Stormreaver Piker

Suck it Bay! Bay!

Reply #132 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 8:31pm:
You mean fuck trophy gloves.

And you're dumb.  I mean, seriously.  You named yourself after the catch phrase from one of the shittiest lowest common denominator shows on TV, and that's just one of the dozens of pieces of evidence that you've left in your first ~60 posts. 

http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

*hmhmm* Dear Fucktarded Penis,  Cool

FUCK YOU and the gay pony you rode in on.

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:29pm by Bazinga »  

majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:06pm:
Wow, you love me. There has been two big lag fixes in the past week. No, those are not going out with a hotfix. They are more wide ranging and take more time to test.
Of course every time you get like this, I keep wondering where your MMO is so I can play it. Obviously you know excatly how to piece one of these together. I can't keep apologizing a gazillion times for the back end tech and things people did on this game before I was even an employee. So one last time, yes some of the stuff from the before times sucks. Sorry about that. Yes we know, stop building new systems. Yes we know, finish the ones out there. Yes we know you hate bards.

And screw you for bringing up the laid off folks. That sucks every time. I made sure all my people landed in other jobs real quick. None of my 'casualties' are unemployed, just sadly not employed by Turbine. Every business goes through this.Even Valve has layoffs. It sucks every time. If you haven't had to do it then you just don't know. Picking people and knowing you are about to turn their life upside down is terrible, every time.
Not giving a bleep. No, I stop listening when the bile starts. Not worth my sanity. You know my rule, treat me like a human and I'll do the same back. When the rage train starts...cya.
So here is my peace out of the vault for a while. Thanks for the list Ranger, that was actually clear and helpful.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #133 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Bazinga wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:29pm:

That is a pretty witty comeback right there.

However, if you hadn't quoted me, I would have never remembered that I corrected your nonsense comment about "Kit gloves" with k-i-d gloves, only to have super hilarious word subbing ensue.  So thank you for that.

IP Logged

Bazinga
Stormreaver Piker

Suck it Bay! Bay!

Reply #134 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:33pm:

However, if you hadn't quoted me, I would have never remembered that I corrected your nonsense comment about "Kit gloves" with k-i-d gloves, only to have super hilarious word subbing ensue.  So thank you for that. 

Helping the gays. It's a good thing.

majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:06pm:
Wow, you love me. There has been two big lag fixes in the past week. No, those are not going out with a hotfix. They are more wide ranging and take more time to test.
Of course every time you get like this, I keep wondering where your MMO is so I can play it. Obviously you know excatly how to piece one of these together. I can't keep apologizing a gazillion times for the back end tech and things people did on this game before I was even an employee. So one last time, yes some of the stuff from the before times sucks. Sorry about that. Yes we know, stop building new systems. Yes we know, finish the ones out there. Yes we know you hate bards.

And screw you for bringing up the laid off folks. That sucks every time. I made sure all my people landed in other jobs real quick. None of my 'casualties' are unemployed, just sadly not employed by Turbine. Every business goes through this.Even Valve has layoffs. It sucks every time. If you haven't had to do it then you just don't know. Picking people and knowing you are about to turn their life upside down is terrible, every time.
Not giving a bleep. No, I stop listening when the bile starts. Not worth my sanity. You know my rule, treat me like a human and I'll do the same back. When the rage train starts...cya.
So here is my peace out of the vault for a while. Thanks for the list Ranger, that was actually clear and helpful.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #135 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Bazinga wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:35pm:

I like to give to the gay community.  It's nice to be able to contribute more than sucking some dicks.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #136 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:36pm:
I like to give to the gay community.  It's nice to be able to contribute more than sucking some dicks.

I'm News Feeding that shit.

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #137 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Bazinga wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:29pm:

Winner winner chicken dinner!

You're on the fast-track to making even more friends than me!
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #138 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Have you guys seen Peep Show? Great comedy and I've got a hunch it would appeal to both of you, reading the above.

(P.S. GS weapon/item stack will never be fixed, because they will fix it the day after I craft a weapon, and I'm never going to do that)

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #139 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Bazinga wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:35pm:

Went from calling us immature to meekly insulting a whole group of people. Way to go fucktard. If you're aiming for least liked, at least do it like you got a pair.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #140 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:53pm:
Have you guys seen Peep Show? Great comedy and I've got a hunch it would appeal to both of you, reading the above.

(P.S. GS weapon/item stack will never be fixed, because they will fix it the day after I craft a weapon, and I'm never going to do that)

I haven't seen Peep Show, though it does look interesting.  I'll add it to the queue, but I am currently about to start on the Wire.  And after that, I plan on eating my words about Cougar Town.  Tongue 

Quote:
Went from calling us immature to meekly insulting a whole group of people. Way to go fucktard. If you're aiming for least liked, at least do it like you got a pair.

I want to print this post out on an airtight sticker and wrap it around your face so that I can read it and remember that the person who wrote these words is the person that I'm watching struggle and slowly suffocate to death and that I don't have to feel bad about what I've done.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #141 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:33pm:

I noticed that too but assumed he liked playing the catcher role.

I still think you are an arrogant fuck (of a person). Sad

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #142 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:00pm:
I haven't seen Peep Show, though it does look interesting.  I'll add it to the queue, but I am currently about to start on the Wire.

Oh you're in for a treat! I have a huge lack of respect for almost all drama I've seen... well, most non-comedy tv really, but The Wire had me absolutely hooked (although it tailed off a bit in the final season for me).

Peep Show is one of my favourite comedies, though there are many to be honest. It has the lovely familiarity of nerdish humour (Mark's heard thoughts are just amazing), depth of character, plots developing naturally from small things, etc. that you both cite as positives of the shows you like above.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #143 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
The Wire is one of the best "procedural" dramas of all times. I used the quotes because it isn't really a procedural no matter what they call it.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #144 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:00pm:
I want to print this post out on an airtight sticker and wrap it around your face so that I can read it and remember that the person who wrote these words is the person that I'm watching struggle and slowly suffocate to death and that I don't have to feel bad about what I've done. 

OMFG you owe my chair a steam cleaning.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #145 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
OMFG you owe my chair a steam cleaning.

Did Oak make you shart again?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #146 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:42pm:
Did Oak make you shart again?

It was a Supreme Power Shart.

P.S.  Remember that time I sent you a tell about my fart that I meant to send to stainer?  I love that time.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:50pm by »  

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #147 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It was a Supreme Power Shart.

P.S.  Remember that time I sent you a tell about my fart that I meant to send to stainer?  I love that time.

Yes, I treasure it always Smiley

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #148 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
You know what's a great show? The Shield.

You know what's an even BETTER show (which I didn't think was possible, tbh)? Breaking Bad.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #149 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:55pm:
You know what's a great show? The Shield.

You know what's an even BETTER show (which I didn't think was possible, tbh)? Breaking Bad.

I loooooooove Breaking Bad!!  People kept recommending it and Big Daddy and I finally watched it on Netflix and got hooked!  Meth + Winnebago = Win

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint