Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The DDO forums make the baby jesus cry since these (Read 7220 times)
bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

The DDO forums make the baby jesus cry since these
Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
stones came out:

1)  "Waaaaah!  Waaaaaahh!  You are giving people completionists for free when I had to work at it.  You have ruined my accomplishment!  the game is ruined!"

2)  "Waaaah!  Waaaaaah!  The gear you are giving to these noobs at level 16 will cause them to die as soon as they enter any quest at level 16.  The game is ruined!"

3)  "Waaaah!  Waaaaah! Noobs are now going to join my zerging, elite quests and then die!  The game is ruined!"

Mother fucking losers jumping to worst case scenario without even thinking about what they are typing.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Re: The DDO forums make the baby jesus cry since these
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:59am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:37am:
stones came out:

1)  "Waaaaah!  Waaaaaahh!  You are giving people completionists for free when I had to work at it.  You have ruined my accomplishment!  the game is ruined!"

2)  "Waaaah!  Waaaaaah!  The gear you are giving to these noobs at level 16 will cause them to die as soon as they enter any quest at level 16.  The game is ruined!"

3)  "Waaaah!  Waaaaah! Noobs are now going to join my zerging, elite quests and then die!  The game is ruined!"

Mother fucking losers jumping to worst case scenario without even thinking about what they are typing.

The gear point is pretty good.

My level 9 monk had better gear in all but two slots than the stuff he got for hitting 16.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
No, the gear point is stupid.

It's like getting a new car and then complaining it didn't come with the gold package.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:02pm:
No, the gear point is stupid.

It's like getting a new car and then complaining it didn't come with the gold package.

No. It's like getting a really old used car.

In this case it's like getting a 1960's Renault that only runs on leaded gasoline, can't go above second gear, and can't pass emissions tests.

It's useless to everyone except backwater hicks.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
No, that's just stupid.

I can take that brand new car that doesn't have all the extra fancy gear and buy aftermarket gear for it that is of higher quality than if it was a OEM "gold" package parts.

(which is what people can eventually do on their brand new 16th level toons).

Only way your analogy works is if Turbine made you follow one of their "class paths" up to level 16.
Grin

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:19pm:
No, that's just stupid.

I can take that brand new car that doesn't have all the extra fancy gear and buy aftermarket gear for it that is of higher quality than if it was a OEM "gold" package parts.

(which is what people can eventually do on their brand new 16th level toons).

Only way your analogy works is if Turbine made you follow one of their "class paths" up to level 16.
Grin

Sure. And you can replace everything under the hood in an old Renault with parts from a dodge viper, leaving nothing in place but the original body panelling and windows. It doesn't make the original gift any less crappy. Tongue

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
I just can't muster up enough give a shit about the stones to give a shit about them or the people that want to use them. Or the gear that comes with it.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Again, you analogy only makes sense if the person didn't build the toon correctly (i.e. choosing stats, skills, enhancements, dumb multiclass choices).

That's how you get the equivalent of a crappy, poorly made car.

But, you said the point about the starting gear had merit.  Nothing about noobs making bad build choices.

A toon, with good stats, skills, class choices at level 16 without any good gear is the equivalent of base model quality car.   It just doesn't have the all the awesome options.

I'm beginning to think you don't have a firm grasp on the concept of analogies.

Y

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm:
Again, you analogy only makes sense if the person didn't build the toon correctly (i.e. choosing stats, skills, enhancements, dumb multiclass choices).

That's how you get the equivalent of a crappy, poorly made car.

But, you said the point about the starting gear had merit.  Nothing about noobs making bad build choices.

A toon, with good stats, skills, class choices at level 16 without any good gear is the equivalent of base model quality car.   It just doesn't have the all the awesome options.

I'm beginning to think you don't have a firm grasp on the concept of analogies.

Y

I'm beginning to think you can't read, which is what's leading you to believe I don't understand analogies.

I said nothing about the car being crappy or poorly made. Just mostly useless to most people most of the time due to it's makeup.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
But you don't make sense:

Here's the makeup:

1) You get a toon leveled from 8 to 16 for free.
2)  They give you some gear

This is FAR from useless to most people.

All it takes is spending in-game plat to get the equipment needed.  The engine and body are fantastic.  Just need a few options to make it awesome.

to be useless would mean there was no way to fix it in an easy manner, i.e. a fucking 1965 Renault.

If you think the 8 to 16 leveling makes it useless to most people because the gear wasn't the best in the game, then I think I'm going to just ignore you from now on because clearly you are either trolling now or are just not very smart.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:08pm:
If you think the 8 to 16 leveling makes it useless to most people because the gear wasn't the best in the game, then I think I'm going to just ignore you from now on because clearly you are either trolling now or are just not very smart.

I said nothing about the leveling being either good or bad.

I said the gear that is granted is useless to most people.

Are you reading at a grade school level yet?

IP Logged

Enoach
Korthos Resident

Paladins, Wizards and
Clerics Oh my!

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
From what I'm seeing of people that are posting the gear they got (I'm hoping to get first hand knowledge soon (tm)), The gear is more along the lines one might expect a character having after a single Normal run through Gianthold.  However, based on hearing about a Dwarf being given a Docent, it appears that the Equipment may not be Race/Class tailored.  This will make items vendor trash/decon items. 

Lets keep this in mind, the loot should be the bear minimum one could achieve by simple looting alone on a First Life, No Sugar Daddy Character.  Not based on our months/years of acquiring gear. 

However, the 8 to 16 leveling process is much more focused per class/build as it is at this point many facets get meat.  So it would be very difficult for Turbine to come up with a one size fits all package, which is unlike the 1 to 7 Leveling process where generic gear works for just about any class.

My primary concern is for new players that are barely getting the hang of how their character works, making a jump from 8 to 16 could prevent them from understanding why they need certain abilities.  It can also cause a knowledge gap between tactics of level 8 and tactics or level 16+.  Personally I believe it is up to the Guild they belong to to help minimize this knowledge gap.  Barring that, it will fall on the real Vets to give crash courses so to speak.

But I'm willing to bet that at least 33% of these stones will be utilized on TR characters that do not need build advice or gear to succeed at level 16.

I do believe that if there were any level 8 to 15 not running elite, it is likely that at 16 they won't be running elite either.

As for the completionist  concern about someone skipping levels, lets keep this in mind.  The rate of getting XP change with Bravery Bonus (user kept up), than again with Tomes of Learning (Applied for the Lives of the Character) and now once more with a one time Jump of enough XP to take someone to 16.  Eventually things change and will change the rate someone can do something.  Honestly, I'm just glad is a Mid-level skip - Imagine if it was 1 to 16.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:56pm by Enoach »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I have read this thread of complete stupidity.  Now I must enlighten you all with some actual intelligence.

If you don't have the gear for a level 16, then you obviously should not be accepting a stone or using one on yourself.  You probably suck so bad at this game you NEED to run the level 8-16 content so you at least get a fucking clue about the game.  I will rephrase for the stupider people reading this:

"If you don't have the gear, you don't have the knowledge, grind the xp you worthless fuckwit."

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:23pm:
I have read this thread of complete stupidity.  Now I must enlighten you all with some actual intelligence.

If you don't have the gear for a level 16, then you obviously should not be accepting a stone or using one on yourself.  You probably suck so bad at this game you NEED to run the level 8-16 content so you at least get a fucking clue about the game.  I will rephrase for the stupider people reading this:

"If you don't have the gear, you don't have the knowledge, grind the xp you worthless fuckwit."

Most of the grief that I read was about players getting suddenly stoned on the "wrong" toon (and preventing them from stoning the right toon).  Also the newb won't know he doesn't have the knowledge until it is too late.

Oddly enough, my suggestion is the opposite:  you just got more than 1Mxp.  You don't need xp.  Notice how the first mob kills you?  Go run some level 12 quests until you have ML16 gear in all your slots.

Even this isn't quite right.  Due to the way large ingredients drop, a half-geared level 8 toon might just outearn an ungeared level 16.  Consider making a toon for at level harbor elites: artificer, paladin, or even a repeater fighter.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:35am
Print Post  
And if you do get leveled up to 16, you can still run level 10-16 quests on Normal or level 8+ quests on Elite and still get XP.

...of course, I had crap gear when I hit 16 on my first character and that was leveling up the regular way.

fnord

IP Logged

Throate
Waterworks Kobold

...to hear the lamentation
of them noobs

Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:02am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:35am:
And if you do get leveled up to 16, you can still run level 10-16 quests on Normal or level 8+ quests on Elite and still get XP.

...of course, I had crap gear when I hit 16 on my first character and that was leveling up the regular way.

But at least you (hopefully) learned how to play that toon on your way to 16.
What happens with the stones: New people without a fucking clue  buy Vet II, manage to somehow pike and backpack ride their way to lvl 8, get stoned and end up at lvl 16, still without a fucking clue, and with no good gear to compensate the vast lack of skill/experience.

And those same people join your lvl 16 raid flagging quests / raids.

Thus the Stone Age has begun...

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Throate wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:02am:
(...)New people without a fucking clue  buy Vet II, manage to somehow pike and backpack ride their way to lvl 8, get stoned and end up at lvl 16, still without a fucking clue, and with no good gear to compensate the vast lack of skill/experience. (...)

Hey... have you played with me in Argo? You described me quite well  Cheesy

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:23pm:

Epoch hits the nail. I leveled a toon in Argo to 16lvl autostoning, and it took me 10 minutes and 200.000 plat to get some appropiate gear , from my bank and from the AH. So to say ready for questing normal. And tomorrow I will be crafting some more, to have something decent and be ready for hard. For elite at that lvl I am too much of a n00b, no matter what gear I have...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 3:49am
Print Post  
I got a character self stoned... and promptly deleted the items I received.
I also replaced all her items by level appropriate items...

At least now I'm safe from Ninja Stoning.

Sometime it's good to be an Altaholic.  Roll Eyes

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Throate wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:02am:
Thus the Stone Age has begun...

Yup.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:50am
Print Post  
This thread makes it sound like that before the stones, there wern't a bunch of lvl 16+ fucksticks running around with 8 con, 0 fort and everyone you grouped with had a clue!

I miss those times.

Oh wait..
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:50am by Calvet »  

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:50am:
This thread makes it sound like that before the stones, there wern't a bunch of lvl 16+ fucksticks running around with 8 con, 0 fort and everyone you grouped with had a clue!

I miss those times.

Oh wait..

Yes but it's different when it's directly sanctioned by turbine Cheesy

Like, when someone builds a shitty toon, you can hate them all you want. When they're just very very new and clueless, and take one of turbine's pre-determined paths, sure you can still hate them, but you almost can't help but feel a little bit sorry for them.

I prefer my hate undiluted  Grin

Plus, whether fresh 16s get shit gear or not is not the scary part, the scary part is that I'm almost certain that turbine people who made those item sets actually think that that gear is at least somewhat decent Cheesy

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:22am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:20am:
Yes but it's different when it's directly sanctioned by turbine Cheesy

Like, when someone builds a shitty toon, you can hate them all you want. When they're just very very new and clueless, and take one of turbine's pre-determined paths, sure you can still hate them, but you almost can't help but feel a little bit sorry for them.

I prefer my hate undiluted  Grin

Plus, whether fresh 16s get shit gear or not is not the scary part, the scary part is that I'm almost certain that turbine people who made those item sets actually think that that gear is at least somewhat decent Cheesy

Get in game so I can mooch some xp!

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Enoach wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:44pm:
However, based on hearing about a Dwarf being given a Docent, it appears that the Equipment may not be Race/Class tailored. 

Everyone gets a docent, a breastplate, and a robe, plus an assortment of Quality Named Items.

It's trash loot, but it's *exactly* the kind of trash loot that new players find super sexy for no reason. I would not be surprised if 90% of the puggles who jumped from 8->16 are highly satisfied with their new items.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Do you people (the ones pre-complaining about the clueless noobs ruining your experience) really pug that much?

the Raid Flagging quests are all pretty damned simple on Normal. 

Here's a worst case scenario for me:
Let's say I'm flagging for shroud (it's flagging, so I'm on Normal)

1)  I start a pug and pick up 4 of these complete noobs, and I save a spot for a pocket cleric. 

2)  All 4 fucksticks die in the first fight.  I just have the pocket cleric raise them as I go.  I keep going but explain a little about what they are doing wrong.

3)  Quest still gets completed mainly because I know what I'm doing and all these quests are so easy on Normal, it's not funny

4) I spend maybe 10 minutes more in quest than if I had soloed it with a pocket cleric.  But now 4 more people know a little more about the quest and I'm able to tell them about Heavy Fort and other gear they'll need.

Of course, I'd never pug.  I do my questing the smart way.  2 other people I know and 3 hireling clerics on ELITE with a bravery bonus.

I would say the stupid fucksticks are the ones who are pugging with people they don't know.  How stupid do you have to be to still be doing this?!?!?!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint