Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why Raiding in DDO is Broken? (Read 39811 times)
Azuphle
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Why Raiding in DDO is Broken?
Reply #75 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
In general I agree that it shouldn't be the player who decide, who the boss attacks. AI is a bad idea in my opinion though. Sure it would sound cool and the changing strategies of the boss would seem interesting for a while, but in the end it would probably jump into some real weird and just as predictable patterns.

A script is fine, but a less linear and more random one should make it suprising. Not even random in the sense of 'this action will happen with a probability of...', more random like Velah just watched Lord of the Rings and has the desire to kill elves now, so elves get extra treatment, so it would create patterns again, but you only learn which patterns to ward against bit by bit after engaging the boss.
Also if you move away from tanking you also bring out a higher complexety in character build and gear, since it would require some sort of survivability and maybe even healing for everyone, since there is no fighter taking all the hits for you or cleric being your slave.

This would be a lot more work than a simple script and more thought than a learning AI, but would increase dynamic and real time cooperation.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #76 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Azuphle wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:16pm:
There are 2 major differences between this kind of (swappy) gearcheck and something like a raid progression gear check. At first its about different stats that need to fit in somehow rather than the plain comparison of item level or amount of dexterity points on your chain in that regard. Secondly in most cases the stats you need are not linked to equipmentslot and/or very limited farming spots, some of them are even possible to be covered by your build and not just your gear.

Agreed, like I said...

Eladiun wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:10pm:
  Most games have the concept of an Enrage timer on Boss fights.  You need to defeat the encounter in a set period of time or the boss becomes more powerful and wipes you.  Every MMO has this in some form or another.

...I'm not a huge fan of the true timer I much prefer an organic timer.  The set timer is generally the easy way out but there are a lot of other ways to enforce a DPS requirement.   Spell pools and DR Breakers served part of this purpose in DDO.  How many pug Shrouds wiped because of a lack of DR Breakers?  The combination of these two was really no different than a timer. We all knew that if Harry went beyond three rounds in a pug it was likely a wipe.  The Bats in VoD have the same net effect or the Beholders in Hound.  They are enrage timers.  Hell, the Hound was one any raid leader knew to the second.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #77 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:55am:
Anyone running LOB is likely running MA for binding frags, albeit typically on heroic normal. I'm still running LOB on my fighter because in 30 completions I haven't been able to pick up a T2 earth for a funsies earth/earth/earth weapon.

That's fucking dumb. No one debuffs raid bosses anymore with anything besides Imp Sunder, Turbine has systemically nerfed/removed debuffs. There should be MORE debuffs if anything. Even in LOB I have never seen anyone but me use Weaken Construct.

I made a pair of flametouched curse/improved curse+destruction/Improved destruction shortswords on my previous AC tank for LOB.

Good times when a puglet saw the curse, blue from destruction, and dark curse all of a sudden and said "ow, that's interesting".

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #78 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
As far as threat is concerened, that works better than ever.  Holding a boss is much more simple and reliable than ever.

If people are being retarded with deception or skills they can watch the rest of the raid as a soulstone.

I also agree that it's sad that one of the biggest situational awareness raids (lob) is not ran more often.  Ditto for abbot, though that's more due to puzzles and people not teaching/learning.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #79 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I agree about re-entry.  Raids should have a lock out.  Chrono was the first to not have one and CiTW doesn't have one.  Which is stupid.  Every other raid does. 

I also despise the "come get your free Ivy Wraps chest" LFM's.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #80 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:30am:
Both my melees need 100+ comms each

My tank needs 75.

Wizard need 25.

Etc . . .

I'm on this fucking treadmill for 2 years+ or until better weapons present themselves.

Sounds like it.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #81 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:09pm:
I also despise the "come get your free Ivy Wraps chest" LFM's. 

I put up some of those, as well as other quests, when not enough guildies want to come.
The idea is that when a chest is cleared, it drops more loot when there is more people in party. So why not ?

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #82 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:55am:
That's fucking dumb. No one debuffs raid bosses anymore with anything besides Imp Sunder, Turbine has systemically nerfed/removed debuffs. There should be MORE debuffs if anything. Even in LOB I have never seen anyone but me use Weaken Construct.

What do you mean raid bosses? How about anything? When was the last time you saw someone use a shattermantle item on something with spell resistance to help the disco ball land, or hit crushing despair or Hamstring something that otherwise hits hard.

That's why I hope to hell they make a Faerun starter area sometime with tutorials to educate people on debuffs, even if its just destruction, cursespewing and shattermantle. Oh, and carrying fucking curse and restoration pots.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #83 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:56pm:
I made a pair of flametouched curse/improved curse+destruction/Improved destruction on my previous AC tank for LOB.

I used to have those too. All lob tanks did, pretty much. Then U14 came around and the AC change made cursespewing/destruction worthless. I deconned them.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #84 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:28pm:
I used to have those too. All lob tanks did, pretty much. Then U14 came around and the AC change made cursespewing/destruction worthless. I deconned them.

We had a bunch of people make Curse-Spewing and Improved Curse Spewing weapons to get un-hittable in hard.  All those have been deconned also.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #85 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:09pm:
I agree about re-entry.  Raids should have a lock out.  Chrono was the first to not have one and CiTW doesn't have one.  Which is stupid.  Every other raid does. 

Agreed

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #86 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I personally think this could have been done with LoB by making touch of the mournlands more punishing. The first time our guild did EE, we had 2 tanks on alternating intimidate timers. It worked well for the most part. I'm not sure what is 'broken' about it.

The second time we did EELob we took 1 tank, it was decided that the second tank was a waste of a dps slot.

I'm not sure if you were there for our second run, but overall it went much smoother than the 2 tank run.

When a monk specs for full retard damage, and can still hit 20% dodge, 900hp, 20% incorp, 120ac and 65prr  it really cuts into the need for a secondary tank.

Sadly LoB's not withstood the power creep we've had with motu, and the changes to ac / to hit really have simply turned it into a beatdown imo.

Defeating the old epic LoB was more fun and challenging that the current EE version, as is it's still my favorite raid, but it's now mindless.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:15pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #87 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Laraeph wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:17pm:
I put up some of those, as well as other quests, when not enough guildies want to come.
The idea is that when a chest is cleared, it drops more loot when there is more people in party. So why not ?

Same reason putting EE gear in the store would be a mistake.  When players can get the loot/reward without putting any time or effort into it, it lowers the incentive for people to run the quest themselves.  Fewer people running the quest = fewer LFM's = less to do = boring game. 

Short term win, long term loss. 

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #88 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
Same reason putting EE gear in the store would be a mistake.  When players can get the loot/reward without putting any time or effort into it, it lowers the incentive for people to run the quest themselves.  Fewer people running the quest = fewer LFM's = less to do = boring game. 

Short term win, long term loss. 

For Bound items I could somewhat believe it.
Unbound items they can buy without ever running the quest. And it's not quite comparable to selling them in the store, since low drop rates still limit the number on the market : there's a reason someone is currently offering 5k TP for a Drow Khopesh with the mod he wants.

It's not like there were that many lfms offering free chests, at least during my playtime. And I've convinced some guildies to even buy the packs so they could come.

Overall, I don't think it hurts the game as you're saying.

IP Logged

Ekkehart
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:14pm:
The second time we did EELob we took 1 tank, it was decided that the second tank was a waste of a dps slot.

I'm not sure if you were there for our second run, but overall it went much smoother than the 2 tank run.

When a monk specs for full retard damage, and can still hit 20% dodge, 900hp, 20% incorp, 120ac and 65prr  it really cuts into the need for a secondary tank.

Sadly LoB's not withstood the power creep we've had with motu, and the changes to ac / to hit really have simply turned it into a beatdown imo.

Defeating the old epic LoB was more fun and challenging that the current EE version, as is it's still my favorite raid, but it's now mindless.

I was there. My point is simply that the raid COULD have been designed so as to make an off-tank more useful and that aggro swaps can indeed be coordinated - which Eladiun had stated wasn't possible with the current state of threat mechanics.

On an unrelated note, for that run we had 1 lob tank and 1 lob kiter :p

On another unrelated note I at least don't remember seeing much of a difference from the second 2-tank run to the 1-tank run up to the point where the quori spawned (which went tremendously better on the run with a single tank)... but that may be just my memory acting up.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:52pm by »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #90 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Most important question is how the hell did you talk people into running EE LOB twice?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #91 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:24pm:
Most important question is how the hell did you talk people into running EE LOB twice?

To placate our guild members who rolled up S&B tanks for the old Epic LoB.

The second time was also because some of us felt the second take was a waste of space and wanted to prove it.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #92 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:28pm:

Hrm.

Divine and Onceler used conventional DPS stuff, I don't recall what mo used.

I didn't run epic with anyone else cause they were either a clusterfuck or closed run.

My setup was more for norm/hard to speed things up or tank if one was
unavailable, I never saw a monk other than me successfully tank it on our
server without being a complete fuckup.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen of course.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #93 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:51pm:
To placate our guild members who rolled up S&B tanks for the old Epic LoB.

The second time was also because some of us felt the second take was a waste of space and wanted to prove it.

Our "second" time the only people who showed up were the S&B tanks Smiley

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #94 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Laraeph wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:36pm:
there's a reason someone is currently offering 5k TP for a Drow Khopesh with the mod he wants.

holy shit what server is that on?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #95 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:35pm:
holy shit what server is that on?

Khyber

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #96 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
Hrm.

Divine and Onceler used conventional DPS stuff, I don't recall what mo used.

I didn't run epic with anyone else cause they were either a clusterfuck or closed run.

I didn't mean specifically monk - you were probably the only monk - but anyone with a sirgog defender/zerjmoar/francis turtle/etc type s&b build had a set of lob debuffers.

IP Logged

Ironical the Bionicle
Waterworks Kobold

RAGE!

Reply #97 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:55am:
If raid boss AI used logic, all healers would die first. Smiley

You mean like how if a FVS starts ToD pt3, then Horoth flips out and starts meteor swarming the party coming through the portal and trying to buff?  That's awesome AI!  Totally WAI, right?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #98 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
I don't recall what mo used.

The smoothest I ever had was with jozza tanking on his pure monk. I was healing that raid too, if anyone pulled aggro i just let em die, it was so easy and so fun.

My setup depended on the difficulty and the healers.

I had things ranging from a 10/20 healing amp bastard sword to curse spewing of improved destruction, and a vicious adamantine of gcb bastard sword for easier diffs.

IP Logged

Allo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I think raids themselves are the broken part

Turbine should just make fun normal 12 people quests instead of this weird stuff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint