Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Healer + Light Cleric? (Read 33796 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Healer + Light Cleric?
Reply #25 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I've haven't played a high level divine in awhile...I know there are some alignment things they've added to various spells, ED's, etc - what alignment should be picked here? True Neutral would have been the way to go in the past but is LG better now for alignment-based abilities?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I honestly don't know what to tell you Darkrok. I can't think of any spells that are alignment-bsed like Good or Evil desciptor spells. There is Positive Spell Power though that affects cure and heal spells. Is that what you're referring to?

Ah, hang on a sec, there's also Holy Aura and some spells that affects Law or Chaos aligned mobs and stuff.

I guess Neutral is a decent alignment if you're concerned about those things but your alignment shouldn't affect what spell, AP, and ED choices you make though. At least I haven't run into any issues like that.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:06am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:24am
Print Post  
There are four level 4 divine spells that are based on alignment; Holy Smite, Unholy Blight, Order's Wrath, and Chaos Hammer.

They cannot be cast if you are of an opposite alignment to the spell's effect.  True Neutral casters can cast any of them.

You're probably going to get the most mileage out of Holy Smite (you can get it as an SLA in the Divine Disciple tree) since there are very few things that aren't affected by it, and it also blinds; the other alignment spells have different secondary effects (Dazed, Slowed, Sickened) that can be useful, but can be a pain to use at the right times if you're facing stuff with varying alignments.

Alignment isn't as important a choice as it was since Stability got its ML jacked up, and the bonuses it gave are easily replaced by lootgen at earlier levels now.  Just make sure you're either the right alignment for the gear you want to use, or have enough UMD to equip it, or don't mind the occasional neg level from opposing gear.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Maybe it was just alignment damage I was thinking of from Exalted Angel's Blessed Blades. That's the only thing I could find after I went looking deeper. If I were playing a melee I'd be far better off going either Lawful or Chaotic Good to have DR breaking of both those types...as a caster it looks like it doesn't matter that much so I'll stick with my old standby of LN. Smiley

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
One other question on this...what benefits are you getting out of the 18th cleric level. Obviously 1 extra level 8 and 9 spell but what did you select as far as AP goes that requires the 18th cleric level. I really want my level 9 spells but I could see splashing 1 wizard level for spell points, spell crit, an extra feat, SLA invis, etc. Not worth it if there's something strong from the level 18 AP's but if the only downside is having to swap around some level 8 and 9 spells depending on the content I'm running I could see it being worthwhile.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:41pm:
One other question on this...what benefits are you getting out of the 18th cleric level. Obviously 1 extra level 8 and 9 spell but what did you select as far as AP goes that requires the 18th cleric level. I really want my level 9 spells but I could see splashing 1 wizard level for spell points, spell crit, an extra feat, SLA invis, etc. Not worth it if there's something strong from the level 18 AP's but if the only downside is having to swap around some level 8 and 9 spells depending on the content I'm running I could see it being worthwhile.

You make a good point. I really don't need the extra spell slots at 8th and 9th level and I didn't take the 5th core Divine Disciple ability. But taking 1 level of Wizard and taking the Spell Crit and the SLA would have crimped my style as far as spending the APs on what I actually did spend them on.

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 6:19pm:
You make a good point. I really don't need the extra spell slots at 8th and 9th level and I didn't take the 5th core Divine Disciple ability. But taking 1 level of Wizard and taking the Spell Crit and the SLA would have crimped my style as far as spending the APs on what I actually did spend them on.

I'm not sure it will matter much for me doing my Iconic lives but I've become a sucker for 1 level of wizard early on (usually level 2) on builds that can fit it in. I don't have an abbot quiver and I'm not twisting anything to run faster so expeditious retreat from the blue bar instead of clickies is really nice. Nightshield doesn't help this build but it's handy on lots of them. Obviously there's the feat and 1sp invis for 1ap as well. I'd probably give the spell crit a miss on this build at the end as it's only 1% and doesn't effect light/positive but at 2ap I'd use it through the Blade Barrier levels. 1ap for invis would still be worthwhile after that unless the AP's are crazy tight.

A few things that are really nice at low levels but not so much later:
1) EK core 1 - the cleave comes in handy when you don't want to bother with the cleave feat but you'd like the option to cleave.
2) Acid spray/burning hands. Toss on a robe of duality and even with 1 wizard level you can pretty much toast anything you run across with maximized aoe damage. Even the unmeta'd 4sp version can two-shot kill a lot of the stuff up through level 4 or 5.
3) Master's Touch. Everyone should be swinging a Carnifex while they level. Wink EK core 1 + Carnifex = fun, even on a crappy str caster.

Obviously the biggest boosts long-term are the extra feat and 1sp invis which probably makes it not worth it starting an Iconic...but someone playing this on a human could basically add two extra feats to do the entire Mental Toughness line and get those added benefits for the wizard splash as they level up.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #32 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Little convenience is not worth losing caster levels and delaying spells.
I don't get this 1 wizzy level obsession for levelling on multi tr toon.
You got quiver, exp retreat clickies, haste pots.
Invis on ml 0 clickies + invis pots.
Primal Screaming from 1 - 11 anyway.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:18am:
You got quiver, exp retreat clickies, haste pots.
Invis on ml 0 clickies + invis pots.

No quiver here. I never had one and have been grinding out PL's so no time to flag for Abbot. Exp retreat clickies are hard to come by now. I've got one bta w/ 3 charges and use it when I have lives that don't allow casting it. Haste pots just annoy me.

The invis levels got jacked up by FoS awhile back. At least on several items I had. 3 clicky item went from ML:0 to ML:3. Very annoying and you're right, it's minor on that one but it does have an effect. Invis pots, unless I'm mistaken, can't be bought. I've got a cache of them that I use for certain quests when I can't cast it or use scrolls (pretty easy to UMD later) but those go fast.

Primal Screaming from 1 - 11 anyway.

I don't care if other people are doing this. I even tested it out so I could talk intelligently about it (much to the chagrin of my kid that I won't let do it at all). But as a rule I'm not running twists. It's a personal choice and obviously acid spray/burning hands pales in comparison to primal scream but not everyone is twisting during levels 1-11. Just almost everyone. Wink

Little convenience is not worth losing caster levels and delaying spells.

The delaying spells part is probably the worst part. At cap we're talking 1 caster level out of 18 which won't even effect all spells and 1 spell pen. Leveling up though and waiting an extra level for things like Blade Barrier, Implosion, etc...that does hurt quite a bit. It's why I'm not saying this is a great idea. But in the right circumstances, gear, and situation it can be helpful.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:45am by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #34 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:45am
Print Post  
So are you liking sunburst for shiradi procs?

IP Logged

tachyon
Titan Demolisher

Reply #35 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:45am:

Yeah, how is shiradi on this guy Arkat?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:07am:
3) Master's Touch. Everyone should be swinging a Carnifex while they level. Wink EK core 1 + Carnifex = fun, even on a crappy str caster.

I prefer to take the druid past life feat for flameblades on my evokers in heroic.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:42pm:
I prefer to take the druid past life feat for flameblades on my evokers in heroic.

You know, I've been wondering about that feat. How long does that end up working on builds like this? Still workable in epics?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #38 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I ditch it once I get GS & blade barrier.

My casting fvs doesn't have enough investment in melee for any weapon to be viable in epics.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 5:15pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #39 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:45am:

tachyon wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:14pm:
Yeah, how is shiradi on this guy Arkat?

If I ever install Fraps or some other video capture software I could show you.  Tongue

But seriously, as a Sun Elf Light-Powered Divine Disciple, there are only two possible AoE SLAs, Holy Smite, which covers a decent area, and Sunburst which covers a HUGE area. The Double Rainbow Shiradi procs are quite impressive on Holy Smite and the Shiradi core abilities procs are also nice. Where the Shiradi Procs are most impressive are when you use the Sunburst SLA. Keep in mind though that if you get all three ranks in that SLA, you can still only use it once every 30 seconds and the opportunity to use it best (when there are tons of mobs) will be somewhat limited.

Still, when you do use it against a boat-load of mobs, there are times when I giggle with glee because of all the numbers I see on the screen at one time.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #40 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:53pm:
If I ever install Fraps or some other video capture software I could show you.  Tongue

But seriously, as a Sun Elf Light-Powered Divine Disciple, there are only two possible AoE SLAs, Holy Smite, which covers a decent area, and Sunburst which covers a HUGE area. The Double Rainbow Shiradi procs are quite impressive on Holy Smite and the Shiradi core abilities procs are also nice. Where the Shiradi Procs are most impressive are when you use the Sunburst SLA. Keep in mind though that if you get all three ranks in that SLA, you can still only use it once every 30 seconds and the opportunity to use it best (when there are tons of mobs) will be somewhat limited.

Still, when you do use it against a boat-load of mobs, there are times when I giggle with glee because of all the numbers I see on the screen at one time.

I imagine a Sunburst + Energy Burst would be a pretty good combo

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:30am:
I imagine a Sunburst + Energy Burst would be a pretty good combo

Everything would save on the Energy Burst most likely...unfortunately there's not a Wisdom version of it, only Int/Cha. Sad

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #42 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:53pm:

Mine was a rhetorical question, since I run my druid in shiradi, and love sunburst shiradi procs in rooms with tons of mobs. I should dust him off, since the latest quests turbine has put out inundate you with mobs of mobs.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #43 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 9:47am:
Everything would save on the Energy Burst most likely...unfortunately there's not a Wisdom version of it, only Int/Cha. Sad

oh yeah duh.

Do you use the Flame Strike SLA? seems like it would be a great shiradi procc'er with 2 hits per mob compared to Sunburst or Holy Smite

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:49pm:
oh yeah duh.

Do you use the Flame Strike SLA? seems like it would be a great shiradi procc'er with 2 hits per mob compared to Sunburst or Holy Smite

I don't have this build yet - it's my next life once I finish Druid life #3 - but yeah, Flame Strike would be great as an SLA for the double-proc. The problem is that it's T5 which would mean no healing aura. I don't know that it's a fait accompli that T5 should be Radiant Servant but it's really hard to give up the massive amounts of aoe healing over time that comes from the aura.

Radiant Servant T5 is aura, no max level on cures, and reactive heal (250 healing when target drops below half health, does not stack w/ spell power). Divine Disciple T5 is 20sp Flame Strike SLA every 12 seconds, +1 evocation DC's or +15 light spell power, and +1 caster level and maximum caster level to Light, Negative Energy, and Fire spells. I see it as a tougher choice than what's been mentioned here, especially if you're running primarily solo, but I'd still probably go with Radiant Servant and lean on Sunburst/Holy Smite for the AoE SLA's.

EDIT: Nice thing is that within reason you could have it either way. It's just a respec of AP to switch so if you try out the Flame Strike SLA and miss the aura just respec the AP again and switch back.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:42pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #45 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:49pm:

Forgot about the Flamestrike SLA. I don't have it for a couple reasons. I didn't want to spend APs and I wanted to concentrate just on Light and Healing spells, spellpower, and lores for crits. I did tweek my Force spellpower but that's because I felt bladebarrier was such a good way to solo and provide some sort of crowd control by aggroing on me instead of some other party members.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:50pm:
Forgot about the Flamestrike SLA. I don't have it for a couple reasons. I didn't want to spend APs and I wanted to concentrate just on Light and Healing spells, spellpower, and lores for crits. I did tweek my Force spellpower but that's because I felt bladebarrier was such a good way to solo and provide some sort of crowd control by aggroing on me instead of some other party members.

That's a good point with the new way spell lores work. It's such a pain on my druid lives right now dealing with fire...and ice...and healing...and force. Being able to focus on light and devotion with a touch of force is much easier without mucking things up with yet another damage type.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #47 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:34am:
Exp retreat clickies are hard to come by now.

But as a rule I'm not running twists. It's a personal choice

Expeditious retreat hard to come by? 2 charges on Anger's Step from Korthos gets you through most quests.

I'm with you on not twisting.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Dang, what did you do for the enhancements on this? I've got at least 22 spent in Morninglord for the Sunburst SLA, at least 8 in AoV for Just Reward, and at least 23 in Divine Disciple for Holy Smite. And that's with nothing in Warpriest which would be nice too. I'm guessing that Radiant Servant is mostly given a miss here?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #49 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
just use divine health or whatever its called on yourself with some healing amp and SP heals when you need them. aura isnt really necessary unless you're healing a party I think.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013 at 7:07pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint