Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Temple Of The Deathwyrm Guide (Read 13182 times)
Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Temple Of The Deathwyrm Guide
Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:13am
Print Post  
For anyone interested, or those that don't make a habit of checking the main forums.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437795-Temple-Of-The-Deathwyrm

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: Temple Of The Deathwyrm Guide
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Some of us don't have access to Motherforums at work.
Could you please re-post it as a "quote"?

TIA
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:18am by Alex DeLarge »  

IP Logged

Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I'm going to put together a guide on our strategy for completion, focusing primarily on the end fight, as I imagine most groups will have the puzzles done by trial and error quite quickly and the guardian fight isn't too complicated. I'll maybe come back and expand on some of the notes we made on the puzzles and with any luck people with image crafting skills can post better visual aids. I'd also note that this was simply our approach to tackling this raid, you may have different preferences, but I figured that posting here would perhaps save some people a lot of resources and some time.

Raid Structure

Entrance Room
Mirror Puzzle #1
Mirror Puzzle #2
Set of 2 random puzzles (only 1 needs to be solved)
Mirror Puzzle #3
Mirror Puzzle #4
Bone Guardian Fight
Mirror Puzzle #5
Mirror Puzzle #6
Set of 2 random puzzles (only 1 needs to be solved)
Shrine room
End Fight

Mirror Puzzle

The mirror puzzles consists of two crystals, one horizontal sender and one vertical receiver. The light beam emerges from the sender crystal and bounces off mirrors until it reaches the receiver crystal.

Mirrors can be oriented in any of 8 possible directions, however, only 2 positions can actually reflect beam, sending it either on a left or right turn. Anyone standing in the path of the beam when this happens will take approximately 2000 damage. It is best to stand behind the mirror relative to the origin of the beam as the beam will never pass through the mirror. Standing in this spot also gives the best view, as looking left or right will quickly allow you to determine the path the beam should take.

In almost every case, if standing behind the current mirror at the end of the beam, checking left or right will reveal one of those directions has a mirror and one of those directions lacks a mirror. Turning the mirror to direct the beam to the next mirror will allow you to progress the beam along. Repeat until solved.

With an inexperienced solver, the puzzle is best done starting from the sender so that he or she may see the beam and bounce it along the mirrors until he reaches the receiver.

With an experienced solver, the puzzle is best done backwards from the receiver so that he may position the mirrors without bouncing the beam everywhere and endangering his teammates. Doing so requires that he keeps track of where the beam would have been and would go but without being able to see it. Once solved, he announces it to his party so that they can clear the heck out of the way and he sends the beam down the path of mirrors.

The mirrors can also be solved by two people at the same time, one starting at each crystal and meeting up in the middle.

If a player dies they cannot be raised, a wraith spawns and must be killed in order to return. This applies to the end fight also. Self raises work, and spawn screen does not prevent the wraith from appearing.

Mirror Puzzle 1:
Mirror Puzzle 2: http://youtu.be/0aPCbc_Xink
Mirror Puzzle 3: http://youtu.be/pCgwN1JyusI
Mirror Puzzle 4: http://youtu.be/2JMUjNV984I (source crystal needs to be turned 90 degrees)
Mirror Puzzle 5: http://youtu.be/TRDcGcyQQOY (helmed horror needs to be killed to activate the source crystal)
Mirror Puzzle 6: footage not uploaded yet (helmed horror needs to be killed to activate the source crystal)

Puzzle Rooms

You get an option of one of two puzzles at two stages during the raid.

Dwarven Maze:

http://youtu.be/yVDoOfYaunQ

- Not static.
- 5 Rooms, each with 2 exits
- If you take the wrong exit you end up at a dwarf that you can talk to and then just die unless you are able to Ddoor out. You respawn at a Res shrine and can do it again.
- to understand the riddle, you must be a dwarf or have high intelligence (36+)
- The riddle is always a statement if left or right and two more statements: whether the previous statement is false or true. Randomly mixed.
- There is one room with 6 portals. The correct Portal is either left or right of the speaking stone. That brings you to the last room. If you take the correct portal in this one you end up in the first room again. The key is to not take any portal and just jump up (there's a ledge). Destroy phylactery on other side.

Traproom:

- Mobs respawning at the entrance from portals
- Lever opens first gate
- 2nd lever opens gate to exit (distance is to far for a single person without abundant step/sprint boost)
- one person can be parked at exit while another pulls the 2nd lever
- Spell absorption is recommended against spell wards
- Trapper probably required for EE
- once one person is through the second gate, lever can be repulled to let other people through

Red/Green Room:

-There are three light phases, Green, Amber and Red
- You get killed when you move in the red phase (check debuffs).
- Jumping counts as moving.
- Spell absorption prevents death from moving during the red light.
- Several stages of pressure plates that open the first gate. After more tunnels and helmed horrors you arrive at a beholder, a final helmed horror, some pressure plates and the phylactery.

Gravity Room:

- 5 pressure plates need to be a activated
- Gravity switch at start and end tha activates/deactivates gravity. Person on switch cannot move while gravity is on.
Lots of spikes - think crucible swim.

Jumping Puzzle:

- Jump up the ledges and destroy the phylactery.
- Wings help obviously
- video guide to fast shortcut method with only one boots charge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVcHl3kNTU

Bone Guardian Fight

http://youtu.be/62lp9aUzmZU

- Sacrifices trash mobs to regain 100% health.
- trash respawns
- You can leave one mob alive to prep him (about 15% EN maybe 40% on EE).
- Needs to go down quickly when you take out the last mob because they respawn and can be sacrificed.This part was bugged for us in that a skeleton would spawn, but was stuck in the floor and couldn't be killed by us.
- He is not undead but a living construct. One person should carry a blasting chime.

End Fight

Key Roles

Tank/ Kiter
Kjharl/Bone Boy Kiter
Healer
DPS

100% -50%

The Tank/Kiter (we used both) is going to be looking after the dragon, which in all honesty doesn't feel like too much of a step up from TO. Those familiar with holding his aggro and dealing with debuffs and aoe breath should find their feet quite quickly.

The Kjharl Kiter (we call them bone boys for convenience sake) works best as any quick moving character with wings/abundant step. The bone boys will drop a harried debuff on you as well as a slow affect, and this is trouble for the Wyrm tank. Treat these as you would the undead dragons. They have high fort and and felt like 3x caught in the web mistress HP, high enough that they can't be easily taken down. We have yet to try a full blitztard build in here, but that's certainly the only way you could work in killing these guys. As it was we allocated a kiter and that kept things under control reasonably well.

Healers should look after the two key roles above and do all the usual magic you guys can do to preserve SP at this stage. Good luck.

DPS play a fluid and crucial role here. Periodically Dragon Necromancers will spawn in and provide the dragon with stacking dr vs magic and physical damage. I haven't tried EN but EH and EE felt like a spawn every 30 seconds or so, in addition to a handful or skeleton archers. Don't forget you have bone boys chasing you around as well, but hopefully the kiter has those under control as you will need to be moving and communicating well. With five Necromancers active the dragon is nigh-unkillable, so it's important to maximise dps on these guys kill them before you get multiples stacking up, and direct burst dps onto the dragon at one/no remaining Necros.

Proceed as above till roughly 50% of the dragon's HP. Then you get a curveball.

Phylactery/Shadow Room

Some DM text drops saying the dragon has dispatched shadows. Here the DPS must split off. Killing shadows will drop a very brief portal, which gives you access to the shadow side, which contains the dragon's phlycatery. I'd estimate the portal to last for about ten seconds, at least it certainly felt that way as things were very frantic. Again communication and preparation are essential to ensuring that you don't miss a portal over to the shadow side.

The tank and kiter should have a babysitter and will be staying in the fight with the boss dragon, as there needs to be someone alive there for the shadow side to be active. If everybody does die in the main room, all those with the phlycaterys will be ported back. Hold tight. You may wish to keep a resilient second kiter as a backup or to kite extra mobs. You could additionally remove people from your shadow side kill team and maybe continue killing dragon disciples, but as success is crucial when killing phlyacterys you really want to put some assets there.

Our kill team will ready a shadow to be killed and step through the portal when everyone is ready. You are now teleported to the shadow side of the raid. Here you face a room with two deactivated source crystals identical to that used in the mirror puzzle. You must kill a helmed horror and an undead beholder in order to activate these in addition to some trash shadows. They can be rotated to activate pillars 1 to 3 on one side of the room, and 5 to 6 on the other. 4 appears inactive at this time, I think this is intended.

Once the room is clear, direct the beams to the portals, split up and head through. One of these portals holds the true phlyactery and the other four duds. Inside are a few trash shadows and more phlyacterys. Deal with the shadows how you like, prep the phlyacteries and kill simultaneously. The margin for error is very small so this really has to be done in unison. We split off into three teams of two and killed, risking another beat down if we chose three dud portals - ideally you populate every portal and do this without chance of missing. While ranged characters may be okay soloing, melees might have a tough time with the shadows. They don't have ridiculous amounts of HP and can be killed off with a slow respawn rate, but that does take some time and this is quite intense. Communication is key again, try and stay cool and just wait for the order to kill.

After the phlycatery is killed you will get another DM text and port back through to the main room side. Continue to work using the 100% - 50% method, you may have quite a few necro disciples by this point so watch out for 600 - 800 hp disintegrates and insta death spells. Glorious Dawn from Wheloon is a nice one to slot on here and throughout the raid as the dragon's debuff dispells deathward and makes you immune for 60 seconds.

Continue to DPS the boss until you get another spawn of shadows. Once again you must send people through to receive phlyactery shards, which will be in the center of the room when you port through. They are exclusive and everyone must pick one up and return using the portal to the main fight, eight in total. If all eight don't get through you will have to make more than one trip, probably waiting for more shadows. Now the game is on and the party must DPS the boss down to near dead.

Dropping The Wyrm

All those with phlycatery shards should slot them into the central circle of the arena, and these make the levers activate to drop our dragon.

Two party members will split off for lever duty. These are in the NE and SE and must be pulled as soon as the dragon drops, in the center of the arena. We chose toons with high dodge and kept them clean of aggro as again, the margin of error is so small. A stray arrow could interrupt their window of opportunity to pull and send the boss back to around a third health.

With the dragon prepped get the tank/kiter to hold her attention in the center, while the lever pullers get ready. Once the "crush it" order comes over from the party leader having seen the dragon drop they pull and she dies. At least in theory. Screwing this up is painful indeed.

Here is a video of our third dragon kill/lever pull and a selection of our reactions after five hours of questing. Unlike the others this was done with nine very stressed people and as you can imagine the language is a trifle coarse, so watch at your own discretion. We'll probably have another go on Wednesday so will try and post a better example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05pgJ8bJmY

Conclusions

The dragon fight is currently bugged in more than one way, and the guardian was at times impossible for us to kill due to the stuck skeleton but these things will be ironed out soon hopefully and this can be enjoyed properly. If those that have run through have any other puzzle hints then hopefully they post here. Credit goes to various Omni members for the youtube videos and write-ups/pointers on mirrors and other puzzles I didn't see.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2014 at 7:55pm by Barba »  

IP Logged

Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Ill add that the raid is currently bugged so that if more than two puzzles are complete, the dragon will vanish or get stuck. You should do only two over the course of the raid.

IP Logged

Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Updated the guide a bit with a jump puzzle video and a shortcut

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the useful stuff!  Wink

IP Logged

Miramar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Wow! Impressive guide. Thank you for your efforts Smiley

IP Logged

Barba
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I've been updating the main forums version with new photo guides to the mirror and also the gravity room, which is a pain to work out in a pug.

IP Logged

Booooga
Dragon Raider

Drama? What's drama?

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Barba wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 11:35pm:
Thanks. I've been updating the main forums version with new photo guides to the mirror and also the gravity room, which is a pain to work out in a pug.

Red light-green light?

IP Logged

Logar
Korthos Resident

Being awesome is the way.

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Barba wrote on Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:13am:
For anyone interested, or those that don't make a habit of checking the main forums.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437795-Temple-Of-The-Deathwyrm

Bookmarked, thanks.

Playing DDO since it's very launch. PM me if you wish to know who I am.

IP Logged

froggy
Stormreaver Piker

LUDICROUS SPEED GO!!!!!!!

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 2:50am
Print Post  
How about this:
go in with a friend, and trial and error everything in that raid ;_)  You'll learn it a lot quicker that way by making more mistakes.

We kill the batman.

IP Logged

Myth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I love this raid

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
I love that for the first time spawn screen would be useful ever, it doesn't function.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

swampshape
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:05am
Print Post  
No need to kill the keepers. Just get the dead guy to run away from his soul stone until he rubber-bands. First time clears the keeper. Second rubber-band allows him to be rezzed.

Also command undead works a treat at end fight. Gets archers doing dps on dragon and stops continual respawns. On shadows it allows you to control the wave, so you charm all of the wave then release charm on just one and beat-down for a portal. Next time you need another portal just do the same thing. No need to keep bring down dragon to get a new wave of shadows.

Also for bone guardian, we usually just save one archer and beat down the guardian really quickly. Usually works fine. Command undead may work here to to stop accidental kills but haven't tested it.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Yeah, charming shit sounds like a great idea.
Blitzer doesn't really need trash for those 50 k Deathlords.
Awesome Blitzer, tank / kiter that does some dps on trash and Boneboys kiter is all you need on dragon side on EE.
Shitty Blitzer on EH works.

Command undead SLA on my 71 necro wizzy lasts like 5 - 10 seconds.
Good luck when stuff gets free, if you have DCs for that, sure you are better with Undead to death and Sunburst killing shit on the Shadow side ( if you don't have CLERIC OF DOOM ™ for that Cheesy )

I am really skeptical of this strategy.

IP Logged

crazytiger
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 11:10am
Print Post  
nice guide

IP Logged

skitz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Now tell how shitaan and his nut swinging guildies get past the lockout barrier.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint