Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) So...Swashbuckler (Read 61064 times)
Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

So...Swashbuckler
May 19th, 2014 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Anybody have any thoughts on a Swashbuckler build?

Right now I'm thinking Pure Drow Bard for the obvious +2 to DEX and CHA starting and the DEX/CHA stat enhancement as well as the plusses to Rapier damage and stuff like that.

Obviously I'm thinking rapiers (the Mutineer's Blade against Undead and Balizarde against everything else) for weapons and the Epic Swashbuckler buckler from CC in the off-hand.

These are all just preliminary thoughts off the top of my head so I was wondering if anyone else has put some real thinking into a Swashbuckler build or not?

If you have and you don't mind sharing, could you please post what you are thinking?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Re: So...Swashbuckler
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Lulz... i literally just posted my thoughts xD

Also, the new Buckler is kinda cute.. i thought.. there will be a few moer added in 22.1 i think.. last i heard at least
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2014 at 5:13pm by Vendui »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2014 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 5:12pm:
Lulz... i literally just posted my thoughts xD

Saw that! Weird.  Shocked

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I was thinking a 16 Bard/2 Fighter/2 Rogue, since pure is pretty feat starved. Human aiming for max melee DPS, with nothing in the offhand. The +5 damage/+7% doublestrike seems better than the other benefits, though maybe I'll end up going with orb if I have a tough time slotting sonic spellpower for Resonant Arms.

Balizarde-using, STR based. Overwhelming critical line, SWF line, empower healing, etc.

They really need to reduce some of the AP costs, though. They went kinda crazy with the 2-per-tier enhancements.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 6:21pm:
They really need to reduce some of the AP costs, though. They went kinda crazy with the 2-per-tier enhancements.

I saw that. It's really turning me off to the PrE. May not even try it because of that.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2014 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 6:21pm:
I was thinking a 16 Bard/2 Fighter/2 Rogue, since pure is pretty feat starved. Human aiming for max melee DPS, with nothing in the offhand. The +5 damage/+7% doublestrike seems better than the other benefits, though maybe I'll end up going with orb if I have a tough time slotting sonic spellpower for Resonant Arms.

Balizarde-using, STR based. Overwhelming critical line, SWF line, empower healing, etc.

Why 16 bard over 6 fighter? More feats, hp, defender stance.

bard 13-16 offering only some song buffs, otto's dance, and greater heroism.

i think even having the bard icon is worse than just splashing 5 bard on a 12 fighter or rogue.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

FlameDragon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2014 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The most advantage of 16bard should be 'Otto's Irresistible Dance' spell which is the ability to control mob and let bard make dps safely. Such as when meeting a crowd of mob, fascinate them all firstly and then make 'Otto's Irresistible Dance'+dps those mobs one by one.

I think 16bard/2ftr/2rog will be classic build for Swashbuckler.

Rubbinns wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 7:17pm:

i think even having the bard icon is worse than just splashing 5 bard on a 12 fighter or rogue.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2014 at 12:12am
Print Post  
FlameDragon wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 12:09am:
The most advantage of 16bard should be 'Otto's Irresistible Dance' spell which is the ability to control mob and let bard make dps safely. Such as when meeting a crowd of mob, fascinate them all firstly and then make 'Otto's Irresistible Dance'+dps those mobs one by one.

Bard? Dps? WTH?!

Kidding aside, any form of cc might work. An AA with paralyzing arrows might be able to SING TO DEATH a paralyzed mob.

Again, assuming that this works as intended.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2014 at 7:32am
Print Post  
FlameDragon wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 12:09am:

Stun blow works as well, fascinate also works. so does the swashbucklers slap in the face attack- stuns for 1 sec. which is a 2 hit kill combo for trash. why gimp down instead of going 13 rogue/5bard/2ftr or power surge with 12 ftr/6 bard/2 rogue.

Trading either of those class splits for a melee build to only obtain ottos dance seems worse. daze-sap, petrified, sleep, mesmerized, paralyzed, tripped all also work to combo with death blow

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2014 at 7:48am
Print Post  
I have 16/2fighter/2rogue twf khop bard that I haven't touched since Motu. He still has Maximize and Quicken haha.

Rapier, nothing in off hand, Precision, whole swf line, no cleaves or OC. Will try to fit  Dodge, Mobility.
Haven't decided between charisma or dex level ups, will have to see if it's possible to get to 60+ reflex while going for charisma build.

So back to the classic 3 year old 16/2fighter/2rogue Cheesy

IP Logged

Arbitoroflife
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:52am
Print Post  
20 bard halfling shuriken thrower, cause it just sounds badass if Coupe De Grace works with IPS.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I have an old 17bard/2rogue/1fighter that has been using rapiers for years. At the time (25 cap), she could do any trap in the game, and her DPS was better than bard average (which is still kinda meh). She will likely be my swashbckler. I haven't looked at it on Lamannia because I can't be bothered. I'll just mess with it on live. I assume the changes will be minimal: swapping TWF for SWF and redoing her enhancements.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2014 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 7:17pm:

Mainly because I have an old shelved 16/2/2 and want to try it out as such before potentially TRing into a different split. Though I have considered the 12/6/2.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2014 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Arbitoroflife wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 9:52am:
20 bard halfling shuriken thrower, cause it just sounds badass if Coupe De Grace works with IPS.

I can confirm it does, i can also confirm halfing is a waste of time still, as its not fixed.. go drow for the free expertise.. (at least until said halfing is fixed) Drow gives the build more dps in the end. +4 dmg, + ~40% chance to toss a second without too much gear needed.. im working out the kinks currently and will post said build in Builds section when its done

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2014 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 10:18am:
I have an old 17bard/2rogue/1fighter that has been using rapiers for years. At the time (25 cap), she could do any trap in the game, and her DPS was better than bard average (which is still kinda meh). She will likely be my swashbckler. I haven't looked at it on Lamannia because I can't be bothered. I'll just mess with it on live. I assume the changes will be minimal: swapping TWF for SWF and redoing her enhancements.

Mostly minimal, lesser it so you can pick up 7 ranks of balance, or no SWF for you Cheesy

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #15 - May 20th, 2014 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 12:28pm:
Mostly minimal, lesser it so you can pick up 7 ranks of balance, or no SWF for you Cheesy

Might already have balance.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2014 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 5:01pm:
Anybody have any thoughts on a Swashbuckler build?

Right now I'm thinking Pure Drow Bard for the obvious +2 to DEX and CHA starting and the DEX/CHA stat enhancement as well as the plusses to Rapier damage and stuff like that.

Obviously I'm thinking rapiers (the Mutineer's Blade against Undead and Balizarde against everything else) for weapons and the Epic Swashbuckler buckler from CC in the off-hand.

These are all just preliminary thoughts off the top of my head so I was wondering if anyone else has put some real thinking into a Swashbuckler build or not?

If you have and you don't mind sharing, could you please post what you are thinking?

can still use celestia as your universal dr breaker when its more useful to break dr right? the drow enhancements work for shortswords and rapiers too?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2014 at 5:43am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on May 22nd, 2014 at 5:37am:
can still use celestia as your universal dr breaker when its more useful to break dr right? the drow enhancements work for shortswords and rapiers too?

Yeah drow still works fine on lam, fvs still fucks em up

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #18 - May 22nd, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on May 22nd, 2014 at 5:37am:

Celestia make sense for DR breaking. Too bad it doesn't have a Red slot for a Resonance 138 augment.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2014 at 10:18pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2014 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 22nd, 2014 at 10:14pm:
Celestia make sense for DR breaking. Too bad it doesn't have a Red slot for a Resonance 138 augment.

orb in off hand?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on May 23rd, 2014 at 1:58am:
orb in off hand?

Thought about an Orb but the Swashbuckler buckler from CC is pretty nice.

IP Logged

10p_rfr
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - May 24th, 2014 at 6:46am
Print Post  
I'm staying with my current 16/2/2 to start with, see how it pans out, pure is just to feat starved to get the OC line on a str based build. Just need to decide between dex or str build since unless you use a shitty short sword you can't get cha to hit anywhere. They really should have allowed long sword to work with swashing.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #22 - May 24th, 2014 at 7:45am
Print Post  
10p_rfr wrote on May 24th, 2014 at 6:46am:
unless you use a shitty short sword you can't get cha to hit anywhere. They really should have allowed long sword to work with swashing.

So use a rapier..

Handaxes and LD are looking like a good option too.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2014 at 7:47am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2014 at 8:09am
Print Post  
10p_rfr wrote on May 24th, 2014 at 6:46am:
I'm staying with my current 16/2/2 to start with, see how it pans out, pure is just to feat starved to get the OC line on a str based build. Just need to decide between dex or str build since unless you use a shitty short sword you can't get cha to hit anywhere. They really should have allowed long sword to work with swashing.

there are awesome named longswords out there? Why not use a rapier? I would rather have a scimitar over a longsword.

IP Logged

10p_rfr
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2014 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
I've already planned for rapier, it's just an idle thought that with a long sword you can get cha for both to hit and damage so could open the option of potentially useful dc's as well as melee, currently if you use the cha for damage option from swash your not gonna hit a barn door.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint