Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Meteor Shower Rev 2: Dark Stars (9Rog/6Mnk/5Wiz) (Read 47799 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Meteor Shower Rev 2: Dark Stars (9Rog/6Mnk/5Wiz)
Jul 24th, 2014 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
For the sake of completeness and since I get way too many PM's and in game tells about it, here's an abreviated build thread. It's basically my 12/5/3 M/W/R build with 6 Less Monk levels and 6 More Rogue levels. I dropped the duece on this split a few months ago on the Motherboards and maybe in my Meteor Shower build thread, I can't really remember. I built this monstrosity and never posted the build until now. Basically once I knew for sure that Halfling throwing crit range was being fixed, I knew my shuriken builds needed to be halfling, and that opens up a few nice SA dice for cheap. And you know me, lets always try for more SA dice.

Dex is one or two points lower (no Great Dex Feat, only tier 3 Monk stance), SA dice are way higher.

Caveats: This leveling order was for a build using a Stone for most of heroics, and to maximize skill points (rogue level 1, and then backloaded so I got the most points in rogue levels for trap skills (from tomes), maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it feels like it in my head.

Halfling
9 Rogue, 6 Monk, 5 Wizard

1 Rogue: PBS
2 Monk: Dodge
3 Monk: Rapid Shot, Precision
4 Monk:
5 Monk:
6 Monk: Shuriken Expertise
7 Monk:  10K
8 Wizard: Extend
9 Wizard: QD
10 Wizard
11 Wizard
12 Wizard: Precise Shot, Quicken (Could take MT if you want)
13 Rogue
14 Rogue
15 Rogue: Completionist
16 Rogue
17 Rogue
18 Rogue: IPS
19 Rogue
20 Rogue
Epic21: Master of Forms
Epic24: IC Thrown
Epic26: Who Cares
Epic27: Epic Reflexes
Epic28: DoubleShot

Enhancements:
31 EK (take all the good stuff that costs 30, and then Tensers Smiley
17'ish-? Halfling (Master Thrower, SA, Dodge, Saves, Dex)
8 HsM (contemplation)
5 Ninja Spy (Core1/2, +3 Dodge)
15 TA (Shadow Dodge, Dex)
-----
76AP

This is the bare minimum for enhancements to be a boss. If you want to twist Enlightenment, or run sometimes in Ocean, you can skip 8AP in Henshin and use your mediations and the occasional Qstaff whacks (You are a Thief Acrobat after all!), giving you 12 AP to play with. In that case I would defiantly take those twelve and put 8 into Thief Acrobat for No Mercy Tier 3. The other 4 I would put into 2 more SA dice in Ninja Spy (Tier 1 and 2). This layout will make you extremely powerful. If you want to run in ShadowDancer, which I recommend trying, you probably need Epic Completionist though. The 4 twists make it possible to run out of Shiradi and still have throwing speed from Whirling Wrists. Though, it's not as big a hit as you might thing with self cast Haste and Bab 28.

This is, in Shiradi or Shadow Dancer, probably the highest sustained ranged DPS build in the game, currently. I will caveat this claim with:
1. Monkchers are obviously still excellent builds with high DPS. But they're spiky-er, unless in LD and blitzing.
2. My new build that is 12Arty/5Rogue/3Monk is potentially higher total DPS than this build, especially on Red/Purple named, but potentially slightly lower against trash. See the Artichucker (http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1405903270) for more info.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2014 at 5:23pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

new2014
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Meteor Shower Rev 2: Dark Stars (9Rog/6Mnk/5Wiz)
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I am planning on TRing this weekend - which of the 2 should I do?  I was planning on the drow but this build looks interesting.  what were your starting stats for the Halfling?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Max Dex (20 if you can afford, 19 or 18 if you cannot)

Rest in to Wisdom for at least 14 or 16 starting.

Whatever left over into Con, or Int if you're worried about trapping. You get a lot of Skill Points though from Rogue, so just put points into Balance, Concentration (for Ki), Search, Disable, and UMD. Put a few into OL, a couple into jump, a couple into Tumble. I like to put a few into Swim also, it makes a huge difference in speed, but not totally necessary.

This is much better than the drow version. Now, that being said, a 12Monk, 5 Wizard, 3 Rogue version of the original build as a halfling is still a top-notch, very powerful and excellent defensively.

But this one is higher DPS, with a little less defense (mostly with the loss of Deflect Arrows).
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2014 at 1:47pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Im just wondering, is there something hidden to wizzy or is it really just for tensors? I see only eldritch stance and feats and nothn else.
Your artie version also has lets say perma tensors, but at least offers smthn with runearm. I tried long time ago on lama a dumb 2 artie 12 monk 6 ranger shuri build and i was highly impressed by tovens proc rate.
If im for example a desperate tensors scroll user, then only 5 wizzy levels  offer nothing compared to ranger as example, is that correct?
Would really like if you could elaborate the wizz split to me 

Not to go into a conflict, so dont take it the wrong way, i liked steels version dread ninja since it gives you massive incorpo and stacking 2 dex, the 5 wiz version for me offers nothing you cant do with a spell or a scroll of tensors, so would be happy if you would explain to me why 5.
Since if i get rid of the tensors perma or cast i see way better splits for shuri builds
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:12pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:07pm:
Im just wondering, is there something hidden to wizzy or is it really just for tensors? I see only eldritch stance and feats and nothn else.
Your artie version also has lets say perma tensors, but at least offers smthn with runearm. I tried long time ago on lama a dumb 2 artie 12 monk 6 ranger shuri build and i was highly impressed by tovens proc rate.
If im for example a desperate tensors scroll user, then only 5 wizzy levels  offer nothing compared to ranger as example, is that correct?
Would really like if you could elaborate the wizz split to me 

Not to go into a conflict, so dont take it the wrong way, i liked steels version dread ninja since it gives you massive incorpo and stacking 2 dex, the 5 wiz version for me offers nothing you cant do with a spell or a scroll of tensors, so would be happy if you would explain to me why 5.
Since if i get rid of the tensors perma or cast i see way better splits for shuri builds

No worries, I don't mind questions. There may be splits that are better, but no one is posting them or convincing me. As I said, I like the Dread Ninja build a lot, and I take some founders credit for inspiring the build. I have a primarily Wizard shuriken thrower alt, but it focuses on CC'ing with Shurikens and is primarily a Shiradi nuker, the Dread Ninja was quite original. But it's not the highest DPS, or even close by my calculations. I have spreadsheets and spreadsheets. It is however, one of the better defensively minded builds for throwing. Great self heals, a little CC with casting if you want, and full time 25% incorp. Kudos to that build on D.

This was talked about ad nauseum in my other build thread here and on the shithole DDO forums, but to summarize:

Tensers: +4 Dex, +4 Con, Full BaB bonus for Throwing Speed (roughly equivalent to self haste Haste, stacks with all other forms of throwing speed). This is the #1 Reason for wizard. Full Time Tensers. Also, bonus feats for Extend and Quicken/MT. This build loves SP. I don't know who Steele is, unless you mean Psykoozi on the shithole DDO forums. I also really like his build, and told him so. But there are some problems. I just don't believe that adding self healing with only 12 or 11 levels of Wizard, AND self-casting Haste, Displace, and Tensers that guy isn't chugging pots on longer quests and in Raids. If he isn't, good for him. But in my experience, he would be. Also the incorp isn't massive, it's 25% vs 10% Ghostly on a build that stays far away from combat and rarely ever takes physical damage. More importantly, I run in SD a lot, with 25% incorp, but my DPS is higher from not having 12 Wizard levels, and having 9 Rogue levels for SA damage.

What else does Wizard 5 Give? A lot.

10 PRR
10% AC
+3 Damage Before Crits (3 stacking Seeker)
1-6 Elemental Imbue
15HP
2 Dex
Arcane Barrier which is actually quite nice defensively, partially making up for no 25% incorp.

All that plus being able to ALWAYS have Tensers up SP free is really powerful. What exactly about ranger is better than that? Sniper Shot is great, real world it's about 5% DPS increase, far less than the 4 Dex from Tensers, let alone the speed increase. A couple SA dice in Sniper are nice too, but achievable elsewhere as you only have so many AP. You get feats from Ranger, but I already have the feats I need. Deflect Arrows and Tempest is a great combo, I dont have the feats for it on this build.
Regarding my Arty split in these forums: it's very powerful. With Halfling enhancements working, and with that build have OCrit, physical damage has become a lot more important to Shuriken throwers. Also, having Glasscannon off handed, or as you mention Tovens, which is amazing, adds around 18 damage per star for Tovens, or about 20 Damage per shot with Glass Cannon lvl 24. For mobs immune to those damage types, First Blood gives a hefty 15% DShot. It can also self cast Tensers, not perma, but it's self cast for almost 3 minutes a pop, with plenty of SP to spare, so it's basically perma. I would only scroll if I was outta SP or trying to save for some reason.

I've played Shuri builds with and Without Tensers, and you can feel the difference in power with and without it. 4 Dex, 4 Con, and full BaB throwing speed is very noticeable on any build.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:48pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
K tnx for clarification, totally missed the ac part, prr is rendudant to me since i got all plifes for it so i can basicaly get 66 base on any build.
Ac tho might be interesing on a high dex/wisdom based build.
With combat expertise it might be actually quite high hmm

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Yes the AC of these builds can get very high. I also have Plifes, but free Shield and 10PRR is not nothing.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:58pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
oh right and 2nd thing, as i got couple martial plifes to go, thinking to play a shuri mainly in shadowdancer.
/and im sick of blitz honestly
So my only issue for etring was the lack of power on 20-27.
With mortal its just crazy but without it fells weak once you get used to mortal procs.
So was thinking to make alchemical shuri purely for etr purpose since it seems to be better then evening ones (tho i never get a good one in evening).

So looking for suggestions what to get, from looking at the crafting and what i have in my bags, noticed i have t 1 and 2 earth spirit, can get t3 whatever.
Dps wise it looks kinda best, mainly looking at t2 where its stacking con which isnt that a rendundat stat.
But both air and water seem worse.
Maybe water.
So in short, what would you make?
Got couple bots for lob so i can farm whatever but currently im set on t1-3 on earth maybe t2 water

Doing some weird split inspired by har, no idea how it will work out, only played dread version a bit and a 11 ranger 6 monk 3 rogue so far
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:10pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:04pm:
oh right and 2nd thing, as i got couple martial plifes to go, thinking to play a shuri mainly in shadowdancer.
/and im sick of blitz honestly
So my only issue for etring was the lack of power on 20-27.
With mortal its just crazy but without it fells weak once you get used to mortal procs.
So was thinking to make alchemical shuri purely for etr purpose since it seems to be better then evening ones (tho i never get a good one in evening).

So looking for suggestions what to get, from looking at the crafting and what i have in my bags, noticed i have t 1 and 2 earth spirit, can get t3 whatever.
Dps wise it looks kinda best, mainly looking at t2 where its stacking con which isnt that a rendundat stat.
But both air and water seem worse.
Maybe water.
So in short, what would you make?
Got couple bots for lob so i can farm whatever but currently im set on t1-3 on earth maybe t2 water

I use Morningstar (EH) with a Meteoric Ruby. High proc damage, general purpose, good for undead also.

Before lvl 24/25, I like Alchemical. Earth/Air/Whatever, for sure, Although, you dont need Air if you have tensers since they're both Alchem stats to Dex, so go water or Earth again. Don't really matter, both are good.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
tnx tnx will play around with it

Gotta add couple things that sold me on ranger in case those things work with shuri /cant test since build is monkchery focused now and will be chukkers after etr.

First ranger deepwood tree, not counting sniper shot what i saw was heavy draw and 25 stacks or archer focus.
What i learned from personal experience is that any shuri build can handle trash super fast so only issue comes from boss dps where they fall off a bit.
Now as halfling with all those defenses you can afford in most ee boss fights to stand still so the increase in dps from 10 more stacks and ability to increment them via aimed shot is handy.

Heavy draw, able to be active same time as precision adds 5 damage per throw, now it says its affected by patack increases for damage, what i asked myself is: does it work with shurikens and does dreadnought while patack active w inrease its damage?
Also there are couple more things in deepwood, i mean every point spent doesnt feel like a waste and increases your dps /also the fact that you get favored enemies killer etc.

All depends on heavy draw tho, if it works or no for me to clearly be sold for ranger as best dps splash for shuris.
Know answer maybe ? Will take me personally around a week to etr since im leveling couple bots and busy in reallife
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2014 at 7:07am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:32am
Print Post  
He-he. I made this build soon after Harhar mentioned it in the original thread. It used to be Drow at first, but then I made a Halfling in preparation for the fix. Its quite the best thing I had for a while.
I'll prolly give a try for Artichucker next life too Smiley

Lelouch wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:13pm:
Gotta add couple things that sold me on ranger in case those things work with shuri /cant test since build is monkchery focused now and will be chukkers after etr.

First ranger deepwood tree, not counting sniper shot what i saw was heavy draw and 25 stacks or archer focus.
What i learned from personal experience is that any shuri build can handle trash super fast so only issue comes from boss dps where they fall off a bit.
Now as halfling with all those defenses you can afford in most ee boss fights to stand still so the increase in dps from 10 more stacks and ability to increment them via aimed shot is handy.

Heavy draw, able to be active same time as precision adds 5 damage per throw, now it says its affected by patack increases for damage, what i asked myself is: does it work with shurikens and does dreadnought while patack active w inrease its damage?
Also there are couple more things in deepwood, i mean every point spent doesnt feel like a waste and increases your dps /also the fact that you get favored enemies killer etc.

If you are really into ranger, I think AA tree is the best. All those imbues that worked for Arrows, currently working for Shuris.
Unless they've been fixed, so correct me if I'm wrong.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:32am:
He-he. I made this build soon after Harhar mentioned it in the original thread. It used to be Drow at first, but then I made a Halfling in preparation for the fix. Its quite the best thing I had for a while.

If you are really into ranger, I think AA tree is the best. All those imbues that worked for Arrows, currently working for Shuris.

Buddy tried with a repeteater and works, il assume works for stars as well. Hmm not good, i want full deepwood and aa trees now sigh..
Really sold on ranger for most dps
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:14pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

ZP
Waterworks Kobold

Zippy!

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I made a first life version of this.  Obviously not completionist.  Its also only a 28 point build.  Thus far, max dex is 50.  I'm only getting 50 to 75 damage per throw.
The weapon and gear is very suboptimal.  I have deadly, accuracy, and seeker 5 to 6 slotted.  Maxed out on dex for a level 20. 
Does maxing Wis matter?
I need to inc dex.
I need to get a good shuriken for this level 20 char.  (from Master Artificer, Vale, and Low Places?)
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:10pm by ZP »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:25pm
Print Post  

I've been told they're working.

I've gone Tier 5 in Sniper on an earlier Shuriken build. It's ok, none of it is as good as it sounds. Heavy Draw is great, and LD probably does add to it, I can't recall. But Imp Archers Focus can only be used on bosses. Whereas T5 in Wizard with full time tensers gives 4 Dex, 8% more missile procs, which is a lot more DPS than even 25% physical damage. The reason for that if because you have to realize most shuriken builds that maximize gear will be doing about 33% of their damage from physical damage, so Imp AF only really gives .33*25% = ~8% total increase in DPS. And it's only on bosses where you can stand still long enough to actually get 25 stacks up. I found I could rarely make good use of it. How often do you use AF now? 2% of the time? Everything else in Deepwood you can get other places that are worth taking. The only exception to this being Sniper Shot, which is really nice. I did the math a while back and found that it was worth about 3-5% total DPS increase if you used it every single time it's off cooldown. Again, nice, but I dont think it's worth something like self cast extended Tensers or full-time from the tree.

In this arty builds case, I need 10% Doubleshot from Mechanic.

The rest of the AA tree is terrible besides imbues. Dispel shot is ok I guess. T5 stances are nice, but the best one is Vulnerability which I have on a shuriken (T1 and T3 abilities that proc vulnerable for super fast stacks, can get to 20 in about ~7 throws on the Darkstar build).

Ranger seems super compelling but part of the reason I feel my builds got better and better for throwers was because I made the hard decision to not go ranger.

I mean if you want to try it feel free. It will still be a great build with lots of thrower juice, no question. For me though, DWS is only really about 2 things: Heavy Draw and Sniper Shot. They are good on paper, but they are not better than the ability to always have Tensers up. The dex and throwing speed simply amplify your total missile output, which I'm pretty sure is better than a static 5 physical damage. I miss Sniper shot a lot, it's an excellent ability. But alone it's not justification to skip a class that brings these builds more, and why I've mostly stopped including ranger in my builds.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:25pm:
8% more missile procs

Not exactly.. its not a straight 8%, its 4% chance extra for a second, and 4% chance for a third (or second if you did not get a second)

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:27pm:
Not exactly.. its not a straight 8%, its 4% chance extra for a second, and 4% chance for a third (or second if you did not get a second)

No it's still 8% more missile procs from Dex sources. It's not 8% more than you already had in total. In fact it's a downward sloping curve how much improve 1 Dex is as it goes higher. I posted the chart in the original Meteor Shower thread, page 6 or 7.

Another way to look at it is:

#1st star is the most valuable contribution to damage. Because it happens 100% of the time.

#2 and #3, because they are based on the same Dex score, are taken together once Dex >50, equal to or greater than 1st star damage, because over time they represent more than 1 star/throw. After 50 Dex. It's also around 50 Dex that you exceed Doubleshot/10k procs (30-50% generally) as well. This is why Dex is so important and I try to keep stressing: 1 Dex does double duty. 1 Dex is worth 2% Doubleshot.

#4-6 Doubleshot/10K are the least contributing since they typically tend to be below 50%. So anytime you want to try an optimize, you need to look where you get the most bang for your buck, expedially when it's a damage increase, over a RoF or missile proc chance increase (Dex, Doubleshot, Wisdom with 10k, or throwing speed stuff).

The way I do my math calcs on these builds is like this:

RoF * Average Shuriken Damage * Thrown Speed

RoF is based is a coefficient of missile procs, so...

Meteor Shower Build, lvl 28, 70 Dex, ~50 SA damage, 80 Proc Damage, and 75 Base Damage per throw (this is hypothetical but in the ballpark of reality).

50+80+75=205 Damage/Missile.

RoF= 1 (#1st star) + .70 (SE Star) + .70 (Ninja Spy star) + .4 (10K average with 40 Widsom a low Double shot. Replace this with actual Doubleshot in a /3 build for instance). =2.8RoF

So if you wanted to balance say, adding in Heavy Draw in exchange for full time tensers, it would look like this:
Heavy Draw: 1+.66+.66+.4 = 2.72 RoF * 211 base damage (this is oversimplified a little, because the base damage equation in reality takes into account crits in my spreadsheet, so we'll call this 6 damage instead of 5, being generous for crits to Heavy Draw)
573.92 Damage/Throw

With Tensers and no Heavy Draw:
574 Damage/Throw. And you get +4 Con and a little throwing speed (depending on level, Feats, enhancements and gear, anywhere from 3-12%. I know it's a big range for BaB's addition to speed. Thrown Speed is whacky).

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:03pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
But harr, thing that you always seem to disregard is.
Im not losing tensers as ranger, i can always scroll it and im such a type of player who has it burnt in mind to keep it up at all times.
No encounter will take long enough not to have tensers up as shuriken build beside boss fights.
Its also is not a low duration cast, its enough and only takes up couple more slots while it adds 1 more thing to press on a build that doesnt mutlitask alot.

Long time ago i was so obsessed with maxing out my dps so that i even used divine favor scrolls.
So in short, i dont lose tensers dps at all, but gain all things from ranger.

If i understand that right, then i dont lose dps at all but gain a massive boost vs bosses that will help me be superior dps then most shuri builds.

Once again, it has more to do with me as player who has a ability to keep track of my buff bar and who will refresh all those buffs by instinct. In most real life scenarios tho players wont bother with tensers and will forget it making it lose dps.

But there are some freaks out there like me who just do it,
i went so far that i forced a friend to level 2 boxes with me.
Now we have a artie and im almost done leveling a bard /warchanter cores op/ for the buffs they give.

So can you add in your dps calculation heavy draw +tensors so that i can see practical case of build i plan to play and tnx if you bother to do so, also things like stances imbues rams sniper shots killer deadly shot thrill aimed shot, w increase from heavy draw  etc etc /list would be to long to add all things, example full stacked 20 inferno shots should be done fast on shuri
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 7:37pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:07pm:
keep it up at all times

the problem with this is, your spending 3-5 seconds of animation, another 2-3 seconds casting, another 2-4 swapping from weapon, to scroll, to weapon. thats a large chunk of time out of Tensers to be spent casting it to have it "always up". This means that when tensers hits ~10 seconds, your recasting it again. giving you only 50 seconds of tensers on a good day with no lag (assuming scrolled tensers is 1m duration base.. hvnt checked in a while). Thats a lot of time spent casting and not dpsing

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:07pm:
So can you add in your dps calculation heavy draw +tensors so that i can see practical case of build i plan to play and tnx if you bother to do so, also things like stances imbues rams sniper shots killer deadly shot thrill aimed shot, w increase from heavy draw  etc etc /list would be to long to add all things, example full stacked 20 inferno shots should be done fast on shuri

Sniper Shot gives +2 Crit Threat and Multiplier. Which means it will let you crit 10% more, for another 200% physical damage (and 2[W] which on a shuriken is like 4 damage for that attack). 10% of 200% is 20%. If every time you threw, you were sniper shot-ing, you would be doing 20% more damage than if you were weren't. But, you can only Sniper Shot every 6 seconds.

With a Throw rate from my throwing tests of around .7 Throws per second at end game (with Whirling Wrists and Tensers), you get to Sniper Shot every 8.57 Throws. 1/8.57=11.6% of the time your shot will be a Sniper Shot (under perfect conditions, which don't exist, but this is the math). So 20% damage from Sniper Shot 11.6% of the time = 2.3% average increase in DPS, but ONLY physical damage and on critical effects, and versus mobs that can be crit due to Fortification. . My Throwing Test results are here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/442140-Thrown-Attack-Speed. If you're phyisical damage/throw is an average of about 80 critable damage, that an increase from Sniper shot of 1.84 physical damage per throw. In this way, the SA vulnerability aspect of Sniper Shot probably results in far more damage than the actual physical damage of the attack itself. It's just not that good without Adrenaline.

I don't know what the deal with stances are right now, and I don't know if you can still have more than 1 active at once, or which apply to Shurikens. You test that and let me know, and I'll help you do the math to the extent that I am able. If you can still only have 1 stance active, that is 3.5 damage per shuriken, which is equivalent to 1 SA dice. The rest of AA is trash, unless you're going for the cores of 5% and 20% Doubleshot (which I've considered on an Elf build using Elf AA, but it's SO expensive AP wise I don't know how to make it work). I won't do the math on Aimed shot because it's even worse than Sniper shot.

Don't forget, if you go T5 Sniper, you can't take the final tiers of Imbues, which is the only thing that makes the tree not garbage. Slayer arrows do almost nothing for a build like this since it doesn't run in Fury for Adrenaline/Slayers. Will it allow you to do big crits and clear some trash in a line here and there? Sure, it will. But so will just throwing faster and harder more consistently. If you miss your big lined up IPS shot with Sniper or a Fury Slayer arrow, you have to wait. The difference in my playstyle is, I don't have to wait for shit. I am just always crushing deeps.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
the problem with this is, your spending 3-5 seconds of animation, another 2-3 seconds casting, another 2-4 swapping from weapon, to scroll, to weapon. thats a large chunk of time out of Tensers to be spent casting it to have it "always up". This means that when tensers hits ~10 seconds, your recasting it again. giving you only 50 seconds of tensers on a good day with no lag (assuming scrolled tensers is 1m duration base.. hvnt checked in a while). Thats a lot of time spent casting and not dpsing

Thank you for saying this so I don't have to.

Lelouch, I did this math myself on earlier builds where I recored my self speed zerging a few EE's. I counted the time I was fighting using Tensers, the time I spent scrolling tensers, and the time I spent not fighting with Tensers because there mobs I needed to kill and scrolling Tensers wasn't feasible or advisable.

Total uptime on Tensers? Around 30% of combat time. And I promise you, you are not more anal or consistent with clickies than me. I've been playing since 2006 and I have an entire 4 character premium account that just holds clickies. Divine Favor, Solid Fog, Divine Power (remember those?), you name it, I've hoarded it and tried to use it. The fact is, clickies that are combat/DPS related that last under a minute tend to give very diminishing returns, unless their impact is especially outsized. Tensers is amazing, but it's duration is just too short from scrolls. Inevitably, you will just not be running with it most of the time, or wasting time keeping it up and not doing something else.

Also, if you drop Wizard for Ranger on these shuriken builds, you have to find another source of self-cast, basically unlimited Haste and Displacement. Good luck with that. Wizard is about more than Tensers: it's Permanent Tensers, Haste, Displacement, Extend and MT/Quicken, and all the other things you already asked me to list.

Ranger, from my math and opinion, does not improve upon those things, because those things are specifically so important to the build. Very little potential damage increase for a huge dip in survivability is a trade off you can make, but be honest with yourself about what that trade off really is.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Tested a bit, is only 1 stance at a time, so would prolly pick acid for 1d6 and inferno shot and call it quits with whole aa tree as only those 2 things seem attractive to me with constant dps.
You could go improved stance for improved earth for imp destruction but not sure how worth it since it would be to ap costy.
Favored damage from deepwood adds 3 damage vs favored enemies from 5 ranger levels you get base 3 so its a total of 6 from that alone, since most content is human and undead /content that matters tbh where only good loot drops could add that to calcs i guess. Merciful shot adds 3 w and when target is under 20% hp it adds 500 damage on sneaks, with sniper this could be nice burst for boss fights when they are low.
Honestly i still have plenty to test but closing to 20 slowly.

Bdw i never intended to do a fury thing, im primarly looking at deepwood since i dont like burst dps but would rather focus on constant dps with situational burst like merciful for example.
Im confident i would also never swap to bow for manyshot since even if its 4 arrow procs it doesnt seem to be any good on a halfling dex based since base damage comes from dex /hope someone proves me wrong on this.

Bdw at ollie, i waste around 3 seconds for tensers cast and its duration is 1 min 5 sec. Even if you cut off 3-4 seconds from it i still think using scrolls is overall better due to strong deepwood and aa trees.
Just me tho, whenever i play a build i try to get the most out of it. And im more sold on having a inv tab full of tensers scrolls with a ranger monk rogue split then on a artie wizzy.
Dps benefit from ranger just seems huge.
And both of you can agree, that with mortal trash is non existent as shuri build. Only issue is boss fights. And there archer focus and all ranger things begin to shine imo.

///// not important part mainly monolog
Sadly i only tested mortal on lama on shuri ideas i had.
Made ss on live for druid swf broken brutality melle (when you solo ee wgu around 30 mins as full time melle you know how broken a build is heh) so only thing i can make atm is a alchemical t2 as im out of mats and not into the dupalonza thing since im a pussy who doesnt want his triple heroic triple iconic and soon triple epic completionist banned, and hopefully il get a t3 on bots before etr and last dshoot plife before engaging into a shuri build /atm monkcher type.
/////

But it seems im forcing my opinion on you guys, dont think wrong of it. Im just stubborn when i find smthn interesting and fun and as its case with ranger monk rogue i just want to see a explanation why people are doing non ranger shuris and why har is forcing a non ranger. As a i assume ee soloer he should be after high effeciency shuriken base builds. As i lack brain cells from to much tring to do math what is better and what not im simply doing it the easy way.
Add tensers scrolls and my eyes cant see why ranger shouldnt be better.
Only reason i can see is lazyness to scroll it, nothing beyond that.
If that is not the case  i would change my direction of thinking but as it currently stands i cant see reason for wizz if not for wraight upgraded form or artie at all since its tree is utter garbage, tovens is ok and didnt think of glass cannon myself since i didnt make it. But thats about it and using those 2 you do cut yourself from monk stance monk dodge while centerd and a possible devotion devotion pos crit offhander thunderforged or celestia or devourers reaping..
I just dont see it, again not trying to be rude just trying to logically think about it.

Keep in mind that i mostly solo/duo with 1-3 bots so our opinions might be different in case our playstyle is different.
I do group, but only when buddy is sleeping or away or he decides to put lfm for a change of pace.

Also sorry for possibly bad english, punctuation errors and wall of text as im fanaticaly trying to understand shuriken builds completely
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:19pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:28am
Print Post  
I don't think human and undead are as useful as you're making them out to be. I mean undead yeah if you run the new stuff. the only real human stuff right now is a little bit of 3BC. Where else are you fighting all these humans?

I played with merciful shot. I, like you, wanted it to be good. I told myself if I could use it correctly then it would be great. But the fact is that it's overall contribution to your DPS is largely dependent on you only using on a mob when it's under 20%. By definition it is only useful 20% of the time, if it's off timer. 3W is nice to have in rotation I suppose. But again, on a shuriken and on a cooldown, 3W is a pretty small amount (3d2 or average 4.5dmg every time it's off cooldown. That's not even worth 1 action point if you ask me.

I wasn't suggesting that you do a bow/shuriken hybrid, I was just backing up my statement that Slayer arrow is not for these builds.

I've never been able to swap, scroll, and reswap weapons, if only because of the lag it can generate, in under 4 seconds consistently. 4 Seconds out of 65 is 6.1% of every scroll cast of Tensers that you won't be getting Tensers and/or not throwing Shuriken at mobs. 4 Seconds out of every minute is a permanent 6.6% hit to your DPS/minute. That's a lot.

I do agree trash is a non issue, but that doesn't mean t5 DWS is the best use of points for this type of build. Look, if you want to go ranger and forgo the benefits of Wizard, that just means you're willing to sacrifice some important defensive aspects of this build (Displacement, Haste, Shield, 10% AC, and some other minor buffs) for what is probably a very modest increase in damage.

There is 1 caveat I will openly admit to about going ranger: it makes the possibilty of going for Overwhelming Crit much easier. My arty /3 Monk chucker build uses O.C. crit, and it's a nice addition. In fact, the entire point of the /3 split was less about 10k stars vs. Doubelshot and more about having feats for OC.

Mortal Fear is incredible.

I'll say it again and I've said it before, I really like the 12Wiz6Monk 2Rogue or Pally split. I do think it might have SP problems but it's a nice build with the best defense of any of these variants in my mind. I like rangers, and the DWS tree is compelling in some ways, there's no question about that. Until now however I have not come up with a way to use on a shuriken thrower however that's better than not using Ranger. Come up with a split and change my mind, if you can.

I don't mind talking about any of this, that's why I post the builds.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:30am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 2:34am
Print Post  
All my comments are mainly regarding the fact that i have things that others dont have. So i know how unrealistic that might be compared to casual players. Keep that in mind as the ammount of players that have characters and tensor habbits is minimal.

Examples: i have a bard buff bot -- haste issue solved and i can add dshot and damage 6% in all my calculations (realistically how many can do that?)
-I have plentiful displace clickies - displace issue solved-
-I tend to use tensors all the time anyways and have yet to met a real life case scenario where i need to fight a pack of trash mobs non stop /maybe wgu/ so that i lose that dps percentage while recasting.

Thing is if you look at it from the prespective that ddo is setup in most content /like 99% of content/ as a number of small skirmishes with some walking around then skirmish again then a boss fight with bazilion hp, then tensoring isnt loss of dps at all, but a thing you do on the run and a minute of tensor on a mortal feared shuri is enough for any skrimish.

Only in boss fights it becomes a issue to keep it up at all time but that is the point. I still think the ammount of time lost  refreshing tensers during a boss fight is miniscure dps loss compared to loss of 10 more archer focus stacks h draw etc etc.

Why i said human /undead is mainly for peaks and horns/wheloon. I have yet to get a single good item that is profitable in other content, well roads got some but even there its mainly humans. Also you could technicaly pick 3rd favored for orcs /but i considder that waste of ap/
, or go more ranger focused split for free 3rd favored.
Splits being good that come to  mind would be 11 ranger 6 monk 3 rogue feat wise /bab should be maxed out  in crusader so you would only lose the 4 dex when not tenserd/
but im trying out a 9 monk 6 ranger 5 rogue as that split gives me improved evasion so that i can skip on epic reflexes, and use lv 27 feat slot for something better. Maybe for oc line, maybe for blinding speed and not bother with haste. Still in plans as im collecting all info and got to prepare alchemical shuri and get last doubleshoot life first.
Also that is not a good split, its a versatile build to swap playstyles during etr. /staff tempest monkchery shuri etc

I dislike doing thing halfway and i tend to be  a quite annoying min/maxer and for a min/max shuri build i dont see it without ranger.
Only issue is the habbit to use tenser scrolls and i assume most players dont like swaps and play shuri builds mainly since its a autoattack build that relies only on positioning
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2014 at 4:05am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  

how about having 1+1/2 stance on without actually spending any AP in AA?  Cool

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Haha, don't tell me - they fixed multistance but left it so you could activate one then swap out AP and leave it activated?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint