Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Meteor Shower Rev 2: Dark Stars (9Rog/6Mnk/5Wiz) (Read 47802 times)
Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Meteor Shower Rev 2: Dark Stars (9Rog/6Mnk/5Wiz)
Reply #100 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Building an argument around one raid is a bad idea, it's like saying trees suck bc it's not very effective in mod. Not sure if you've actually played a thrower in mod in LD/EA but I'm guessing that's a no. I say this because the comment about 2 hours to match dps with one fury shot. I've played a maxed out thrower and monkcher in ee mod speed runs, both have efficient dps.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #101 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Stinky_Pinky wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:04am:
2 hours of throwing to catch a burst? That's pretty damn funny, as I said, I do very good in mod. The cc from a thrower was the destiny you were in. This changes once you switch into LD or EA for mod. Standing on top of the pillar when beating the death knight down, I hold aggro most of the time.Yes, when fury shot is up they are pulling ahead but I'll catch them in no time with 10 stacks from ld.

Every build has its highs n lows, but saying a thrower is only good for trash killing is just wrong. Comparing them to other ranged builds Throwers are still great. You're correct saying they aren't top dps like wolf/pallies but that's bc ranged doesn't have "ranged power" yet.

I wouldnt call them great, its mainly since you need to kite alot, as a melle for example now, even if its ee red alert you just jump in mid of a angry pack and straight out kill everything without having to fear to die.
As shuri it takes longer since you cannot pull red alert and cant clear waves in couple seconds like a dod wolf or cleavin palie.
I mean they are still ok and all, but they arent as useful in mark /no blunt no trash to kill no real burst to be of super use no sneak option etc etc and they arent really good solo builds like current fotm imo.
I like them at cap, but before that, not really.
(game always shifts to some builds, we might see shuris comeback with ranged power which wont be this update, maybe next year)

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #102 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Stinky_Pinky wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:33am:
Building an argument around one raid is a bad idea, it's like saying trees suck bc it's not very effective in mod. Not sure if you've actually played a thrower in mod in LD/EA but I'm guessing that's a no. I say this because the comment about 2 hours to match dps with one fury shot. I've played a maxed out thrower and monkcher in ee mod speed runs, both have efficient dps.

No i havent played one but i saw people try to play them and being less then useless.
And paper wise/they offer nothing ... sneak immune enemies/no need to control trash, no blunt damage bypass, only thforged procs to rely on as damage that dont come close to a furyshot or a dcrus palie.
In exalted i assume it would be somewhat ok,
Still not even nearly enough.
Also all speed runs were completed wout shuri in achivments. I wonder why..
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:56am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:41am:
I wouldnt call them great, its mainly since you need to kite alot, as a melle for example now, even if its ee red alert you just jump in mid of a angry pack and straight out kill everything without having to fear to die.
As shuri it takes longer since you cannot pull red alert and cant clear waves in couple seconds like a dod wolf or cleavin palie.
I mean they are still ok and all, but they arent as useful in mark /no blunt no trash to kill no real burst to be of super use no sneak option etc etc and they arent really good solo builds like current fotm imo.
I like them at cap, but before that, not really.
(game always shifts to some builds, we might see shuris comeback with ranged power which wont be this update, maybe next year)

I'll agree that melee have it easier right now. My pally just takes the dick while cleaving in a pack of mobs. Clearing can be effective on a ranged build as well, more so with a thrower bc I just line them up (vol for example with the tight hallways). Right now nothing ranged has compares to melee, hopefully that will be "balanced" sooner then later.

Soloing isn't as good as a melee (right now) but I've been soloing fine with mine way before the melee changes came about. Might take a min or two longer but meh, I don't mind. I'll also agree that throwers aren't that great until you hit 28, but when you do, it's tits.

I wanted to speak up bc you came off very bias towards throwers. Just wanted to clear up that against over ranged builds, they are still great.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #104 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:01am
Print Post  
If you are kiting on the platform then you get to subtract the melee dps of the rest of the party from your total.

Kiting sucks in MoD. You don't win a prize for standing on top of the pillar in the death knight rooms.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #105 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Stinky_Pinky wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:01am:
I'll agree that melee have it easier right now. My pally just takes the dick while cleaving in a pack of mobs. Clearing can be effective on a ranged build as well, more so with a thrower bc I just line them up (vol for example with the tight hallways). Right now nothing ranged has compares to melee, hopefully that will be "balanced" sooner then later.

Soloing isn't as good as a melee (right now) but I've been soloing fine with mine way before the melee changes came about. Might take a min or two longer but meh, I don't mind. I'll also agree that throwers aren't that great until you hit 28, but when you do, it's tits.

I wanted to speak up bc you came off very bias towards throwers. Just wanted to clear up that against over ranged builds, they are still great. 

Nah nah i have nothing against thrower builds, only something against tensor wizzy builds since from my perspective its better to splash ranger for more boss dps via perma 25 archer focus stacks /since you can swap to archer for a couple seconds use sniper shot and back to imp precise.
Also you can use scroll tensors etc.
That was only thing i ever argued about shuri builds, my dislike toward wasting class levels to get perma tensors.

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:13am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:01am:
If you are kiting on the platform then you get to subtract the melee dps of the rest of the party from your total.

Kiting sucks in MoD. You don't win a prize for standing on top of the pillar in the death knight rooms.

I'm guessing you haven't done ee mod. What do you think happens when ddealing with all 3 knights, ranged kite. It's not like running norm/hard where you group all three together.
Winning a prize where all the ranged stand on top a pillar, wtf? You do realize on ee ranged take one side while melee take a different. Pls run outside of norm before you start talking shit

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #107 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:09am:
Nah nah i have nothing against thrower builds, only something against tensor wizzy builds since from my perspective its better to splash ranger for more boss dps via perma 25 archer focus stacks /since you can swap to archer for a couple seconds use sniper shot and back to imp precise.
Also you can use scroll tensors etc.
That was only thing i ever argued about shuri builds, my dislike toward wasting class levels to get perma tensors.

The reason you don't see a thrower on achievements is bc I was using a different toon (due to ransack).
Archers focus is nice, even more so when you could still keep the stacks while moving. But, unfortunately that isn't the case anymore, I'm always moving so my play style varies from yours.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #108 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Stinky_Pinky wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:17am:
The reason you don't see a thrower on achievements is bc I was using a different toon (due to ransack).
Archers focus is nice, even more so when you could still keep the stacks while moving. But, unfortunately that isn't the case anymore, I'm always moving so my play style varies from yours.

You keep it, it just decreases.
Swap to archer focus, use sniper shot, get 3 shuri proc which will give you insta 12 or more stacks then swap to imp precise.
ITs a tedious playstyle, but you can keep up 20 stacks at all times with that approach, just need 1 secon when you make distance to swap to stance and make it "count for stacks".
I played with it pre mark update, and pretty sure it still works the same.
20 stacks give you 40% more misssile damage.
Way superior to anyhthing a wizzy hybrid can do imo since you can scroll tensors but you cant scroll perma 20 archer stacks Wink

Issue with that is, that you need to have a mindset of highest efficiency at all times to play that way.
Most people dont like that since they play shuris for autoattack braindead chillage mainly
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:33am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #109 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:31am:
Swap to archer focus, use sniper shot, get 3 shuri proc which will give you insta 12 or more stacks then swap to imp precise.
ITs a tedious playstyle, but you can keep up 20 stacks at all times with that approach, just need 1 secon when you make distance to swap to stance and make it "count for stacks".
Way superior to anyhthing a wizzy hybrid can do imo since you can scroll tensors but you cant scroll perma 20 archer stacks Wink

Issue with that is, that you need to have a mindset of highest efficiency at all times to play that way.
Most people dont like that since they play shuris for autoattack braindead chillage mainly

I'm familiar with how focus works, I was commenting on the old bug where I could build it while moving Smiley

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #110 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Stinky_Pinky wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:35am:
I'm familiar with how focus works, I was commenting on the old bug where I could build it while moving Smiley

Or the one while in melle while keeping the melle damage Wink

I tested a bit, but wasnt to interested to proceed, i think you still keep the melle damage with archer stacks.
I had a dumb idea to test properly on a dex melle build with shuri for archer stacks.
But was to lazy to do so since im slowly losing interest in ddo.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:40am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #111 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:47am
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure the melee building stacks still work, havent tested in a while. I'll have to test the sniper shot, bc atm I'm only getting a stack per throw, not additional procs.

I can definitely relate to losing interest, I sometimes log in just to wonder why I'm even on. 2/4 toons ccompletely finished with tr/etr'd and no will power to work on the others, since the small boost isn't needed bc quest/raids can be face rolled.

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #112 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:31am:

Using snipe shot doesn't give additional stacks(for me, at least). I love to see a video where you start and finish a dungeon with "perma 20" archer focus stacks as well. I consider myself a pretty good player and I'm maybe keeping 3-7 while stopping, taking the time to target mobs far away(which die very quickly regardless). Most of the time I could have them killed just by zerging as usual. Switching stances takes that second, I tried jumping with ff but still doesn't help.

You might get a little more dps with having ranger extra stacks on bosses, but that's when you aren't soloing or have aggro. I rather keep the wiz for bab/dex/hp/ac (permanently) and small but useful spells.

Play styles vary and the usefulness of one's split might vary as well  Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2014 at 11:43am by Stinky_Pinky »  

IP Logged

Rabbit
Korthos Resident

Loves to cuddle

Reply #113 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
In my MOD runs (very few) I've simply left AF on and concentrated on the quells assuming the stoners have their DCs handled.

I know i'm not uber in that raid, but I'd like to think I'm not dead weight.

�
IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #114 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Rabbit wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 2:07pm:
In my MOD runs (very few) I've simply left AF on and concentrated on the quells assuming the stoners have their DCs handled.

I know i'm not uber in that raid, but I'd like to think I'm not dead weight.

Not moving around will cause you to be encased,  unless you're in DC. LD/EA are best for a thrower in mod.
Running norm/hard, I guess it doesn't matter though.

IP Logged

Packfan
Waterworks Kobold

It's personal

Reply #115 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 7:42am
Print Post  
What's the draw to sitting in EA on a thrower build for MoD? I just started playing my thrower again and only ran MoD once or twice previously.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #116 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Packfan wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 7:42am:
What's the draw to sitting in EA on a thrower build for MoD? I just started playing my thrower again and only ran MoD once or twice previously.

Angel form and epic moment form have a nice light damage proc, it is ok, but only a 4 minute burst, usually enough for most marks, for ee not so much, maybe for dknights if you pike at platform

IP Logged

Packfan
Waterworks Kobold

It's personal

Reply #117 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Ah, I didn't consider that the epic moment worked for ranged, I assumed it was melee only. I'll have to try it out.

IP Logged

Stinky_Pinky
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #118 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
It's actually nice for EE as well. This comes from experience, not just assuming. After you try it pls post and let us know how it worked out for you.

IP Logged

Packfan
Waterworks Kobold

It's personal

Reply #119 - Dec 10th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I tried EA. The normal DPS loss was considerable that I didn't get a chance to cast enough to build up the 25 charges to get the epic moment. I realized last night that I haven't geared this toon for a few months, so I'll be doing that now, but I don't know if the couple mins of great dps is worth the rest of the time of mediocre dps, for me.

IP Logged

ChewyOoeyGoOey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #120 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I've got 9 AP left over to work with in U25 as I dropped Henshin (since I have Epic Completionist and twisted in Enlightenment).

I usually run in Shadow Dancer and Water Stance for the extra saves and dodge for EE content and in anything lower because stuff dies fast anyway.

My current layout of Enhancements:
31 EK = (take all the good stuff that costs 30, and then Tensers)
17'ish = Halfling (Master Thrower, SA, Dodge, Saves, Dex)
6 Ninja Spy = 2 Core/3xArco, 1xStealth
16 TA = (Shadow Dodge, Dex) 2 core/Fast Move, 3xTA/3xHasteB/3xSD
1 Mech = 1 core

With 9 AP's left over I can either go up the Thief Acro or Ninja Spy trees. I'd really like to add to Mechanic for the extra SA range but it doesn't give me much more than that with a bit more damage per star I think.

So adding to TA gives:
Core 3 (+2 max dodge)
1xCharm (filler)
2xDex (evens out my Dex in Water)
No Mercy (good in Shiradi and with MM Shiradi Spammers)

Or

Add to NS gives:
1xAgility
2xSA die
1xDex
Sting of the Ninja (more DPS?)

Hmmmm... probably go with more TA unless I'm missing something here?

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #121 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to figure out if Sting of the Ninja is worth it now.  Will test when I can...

IP Logged

ChewyOoeyGoOey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #122 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 1:32pm:
I'm trying to figure out if Sting of the Ninja is worth it now.  Will test when I can...

OK, went with the extra points into Ninja Spy to test with...
1xAgility
2xSA die
1xDex
Sting of the Ninja

So far I'm finding that Sting is adding about 12 to 40 poison damage per tick depending on stacks.

I'm 3 Dex points off my U24 usual Dex but I'm killing things faster.

On the Ship Dummy with a capped toon and triple pos shuriken,

Shadow Dancer (68 Dex) is giving me about 290 to 330 Slash damage on average with crits around the 480 to 550 range.

L Dread (64 Dex) is giving me about 260 to 300 Slash damage on average with crits in the 990 to 1000+ range while Blitzing (which is easy to maintain on a many thrower).

The dummy goes down fast in either case in roughly the same time.

D Crusader is giving me about 230 to 250 Slash damage on average but strangely isn't too bad with crits around the 600 mark but coming more often due to the expanded range.

Shiradi Champ was the most anemic with about 260 to 300 Slash damage on average about 20%+ slower in bringing the dummy down.

Overall, I'm liking U25 so far with Range Power implemented and I'm not missing the lost Dex from Shadow Dodge. Oh and I think I'll keep the points into Ninja Spy Smiley

My Range Power seems low at 48 so I'm wondering what numbers other people are reaching?

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:06am
Print Post  
That's about what I was seeing on Sting of the Ninja.  Most effective during boss fights when the stacks can really build.  Probably worth it on some builds, but not all.

IP Logged

ChewyOoeyGoOey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:40am
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:06am:
That's about what I was seeing on Sting of the Ninja.  Most effective during boss fights when the stacks can really build.  Probably worth it on some builds, but not all.

Agreed, Sting is a keeper for now on my toon.

Fast Movement is really nice too with 9 Rogue. I'm probably as fast now without haste compared to hasted in U24. It's not quite 18 levels of monk speed but it's pretty darn close.

Now if I can only increase my standing Range Power without having to go into LD...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint