Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Suggest a build for an epic newb (Read 3831 times)
FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Suggest a build for an epic newb
Jul 24th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Goal:

Looking for an epic build that is:

1. self-sufficient build.

a. self-healing capable. No reliance on hirelings or healer (but I don’t mind popping a hireling while I quest, now and then, for convenience)

b. survivable. The build/toon makes up for lack of quest knowledge (future-proof?) or super-twitch skills. Can be in the form of evasion/high saves, defensive abilities/PRR/AC, dodge, etc.

c. decent dps. Doesn’t have  to put up monster dps numbers. While soloing, don’t mind whittling mobs down, but also have the ability for burst dps (for bosses or if situation warrants it)

2. preferred playstyle.

a. AOE over single-target. When I encounter a pack of mobs, I prefer running up to all of them rather than pulling them one-by-one. I don’t like single-target playstyle. I have fun throwing down and jumping around a firewall, or running mobs through a blade barrier, or gathering up a pack and cleaving.

b. medium pace. I don’t need the fastest completion of quests. I’m not opposed to having to stop at every shrine. But with preference of AOE, I do like efficient handling of mobs.

3.  medium difficulty of gearing the build.

a. gear flexibility. I have no gear past level 20. I don’t mind farming/grinding for an item, but would prefer items that I don’t have to rely on others to grind for. Basically, if the item is in a raid that takes a while to fill, I rather use the 2nd or 3rd best item that I can acquire myself.

b. parking at cap. Will more likely get to 28 and stay there, gear up, farm destinies and wait for new packs and level cap increase, rather than epic reincarnations.

Additional information:

Extensive experience of heroic quests and leveling, starting into epic FR quests and levels (will need to level primary epic destiny as I level up to cap). Will be familiar with Eberron epics, but not FR epics. Don't mind streaking epic hard, and once I get comfortable with quest, would like to push it and jump into EE.

36 point build (for this build, using a toon with 1 sorc, 1 fvs past life; doesn’t mean that the build has to make use of those 2 past lives)

All classes available

All races, except for PDK, Shadar, Sun Elf

The build that I had the fun with the most since I first started playing was a monk with high AC before the AC revamp and expansions. Took time to farm Icy Rainments, stacking dodge items, etc. I loved walking into a room, regardless of what mobs were in there, and clearing it without needing a heal. Loved seeing “Miss” scroll up my screen. I was definitely disappointed when that changed.

Prior to that build, I did try a pure Fighter AC tank, and was happy with the melee survivability. What I didn’t like was the low saves/lack of evasion, and the monk had that.

After the AC revamp, found myself gravitating more to the arcanes. Divines are ok as well.

I see plenty of epic level builds, haven’t tried any of them, and don’t have the time to try all. I think my requirements above might align with a certain build better. Just not sure which one.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: Suggest a build for an epic newb
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Bladeforged sorc pally?

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Bf 14s/4fv/2p shiradi?
So ice storm, cloud, force?
Do I spend AP on bf recon, wind dance and cvs crit? Enough AP for that?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
18 wizard/2 rogue

Standard caster supremacy.
Insightful reflexes with evasion = survivability.
Pale master = self healing and immunities
Better at trapping than a full rogue.

Main destiny Draconic until you can twist energy burst. Then you can go Shiradi.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
SWF 2WF wolf.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Forum Trolls are easy to play, have minimum gear requirements, and the better you get the better your aoe and CC becomes.

Race: Troll, Class: Bard
Epic Destiny: Grandmaster of Forums

Stats:  Max Cha for bluff, dexterity for reflex saves,  Int & wisdom are dump stats, left over points into con.

Feats:
1: Force of personality
3: Point Blank shot
6: Precise shot
9: Die Hard
12: Bull Headed
15: Mental Toughness
18: Precision

At creation you're going to need to cast a wide net as you try get a feel for your enemies weakness Be sure to invest in the swashbuckler tree and pick up Confidence straight away. 

After a couple of levels you'll have learned some vulnerabilities and will be able to use them, your approach will likely be a bit crude though, know this. Be on your toes and use your fast movement to surprise your enemies with a point blank shot.

Soon you'll really be getting a feeling for your foes, with a touch of elegant footwork and swift strikes you'll be able to launch pre-emptive attacks with precise shots.

It won't be long till you become public enemy #1, you'll be a treacherous opponent though. You will be known as someone who dies hard, rumors will even start about your second skin.  Ignore them, focus on landing low blows to exploit weakness.

Even the hardiest trolls eventually hear the rumors about them. Fear not, be bull headed and persevere. You know that the wind is at your back, you're on the mark and that you can overcome anyone blow by blow.

It gets lonely, nobody is denying that. Only the mentally tough can make it this far. Limber up, Despite what everybody says, you know you're a dashing scoundrel, if you stay true to the path you'll have tavern shanties that even your grandkids will hear about.

Now you're the talk of the town, your resonant arms have reached the gods themselves. Everyone's against you, it's ok, you can roll with the punches. You're know capable of landing a battering barrage with precision. Just keep threading the needle ensuring everyone gets caught in your web.

When you reach cap you'll know that it's all worth it, you'll be deflecting arrows left and right, even using maneuvers to avoid negative attention from the gods.  But that's not all, by now you're ready to use your coup de grace and the forum gods themselves will kill off mesmerized enemies for you.

Stick with it, in no time at all you'll be a true grandmaster of forums. With your great ability you'll be able to troll anyone, your excellence may even live others inspired. With blinding speed you'll always draw first blood, finally you'll be so familiar with the epic foes you have left, spend a little time learning your surroundings should you ever be forced to escape.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:27am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 24th, 2014 at 10:59pm:
18 wizard/2 rogue

Standard caster supremacy.
Insightful reflexes with evasion = survivability.
Pale master = self healing and immunities
Better at trapping than a full rogue.

Main destiny Draconic until you can twist energy burst. Then you can go Shiradi.

I was thinking about this, but would lean towards CDR's 16W/2M/2Fvs shiradi if I go the wizard route. Probably would go BF.
I've tried palemasters before, but prefer WF reconstruct when I go wizard

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:18pm:
SWF 2WF wolf.

Thanks Rubbins.

I've been following that thread as well, and only thing I'm worried about is the ranger feats are used to bypass the SWF/TWF lockout. I'm intending to get this toon to 28, and leave it, possibly future-proof.

If the lockout gets fixed, I'm potentially stuck with a broken build?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:16am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:39am:

In that case you resort back to 2wf / natural fighting.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:01am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:39am:

It will not be retro active. Any build with the feats will remain until TR/ETR/LR.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:47am
Print Post  
I had been thinking about doing the 2 fvs splash on an arcane, but now that I have an arbitrarily large number of superior mnemonics, I don't see the point.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:01am:
It will not be retro active. Any build with the feats will remain until TR/ETR/LR.

Hmmm good point. I'll take a good look at this build when I make my decision.
I guess it's not so much a build as take wolf and ranger with the two fighting styles. I'll see if I can tilt one (or get help from you guys) to amp up the defense a bit.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 9:08am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:47am:
I had been thinking about doing the 2 fvs splash on an arcane, but now that I have an arbitrarily large number of superior mnemonics, I don't see the point.

Fvs also adds crit/dps, no?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:01am:

Are you sure? I seem to remember some forced changes in the past. Isn't that why some of my very old chars still have a free feat swap pop up? I wouldn't disregard the possibility of them removing feats & giving free exchanges. It's unlikely but not impossible, I think.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:43pm:
Are you sure? I seem to remember some forced changes in the past. Isn't that why some of my very old chars still have a free feat swap pop up? I wouldn't disregard the possibility of them removing feats & giving free exchanges. It's unlikely but not impossible, I think.

I don't think they even know what they are doing anymore. Especially concerning wolves. They just gave up on those. Since MotU.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Great thread.

IP Logged

barcelot
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
How about a drow pure bard? 

Tremendous fun, only 6 points in the drow tree for charisma or dex depending on use and the rest in Swashbuckler and Spell singer, super survivable, decent dps, several unique AOE attacks depending on how you spend your trees and mix with epic destinies. E.A, and Draconic, do some crazy stuff with enthrall and holds, as well as improved precise shot with fury and coup de grace now that the fascinate bug is fixed. Really tons of possibilities. Never boring.

And crazy fast run around as well.

Just a thought. 
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:53pm by »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:08pm:
I don't think they even know what they are doing anymore. Especially concerning wolves. They just gave up on those. Since MotU.

Fair point. Smiley

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:06am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 9:08am:
Fvs also adds crit/dps, no?

Lich form does it better.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint