Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic help! with 4th life monk, to go pure or not to go. (Read 4288 times)
naarwen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

help! with 4th life monk, to go pure or not to go.
Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Well its not my mean, I dont understad much about the melee part of the game as 99% of my toons are pure casters for many lives in a row, well, I got this 4th life monk, lvl 5 atm
Half-elf  current stats in order 23 17 20 11 24 11, dilettante barbarian, maybe i will change, and chose to go light monk...

man she shits hard....  since last life I was a druid melee spalshed monk and fighter always in wolf forme, I feel slow now.

Well Im never looking for an upper dupper build one hit kill everything, my thing with DDO is much more about flavor and nostalgia for good old times of live basement table playing (I'm 32 years old!) well my question is to have more fun to be tougher and hit hard would it be nice to splash?
maybe two fighter lvls for boosts and feats? or keep pure for the nice monk cap perks? btw this toon has +3 tomes on all stats and +4 on dex.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: help! with 4th life monk, to go pure or not to go.
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
What nice monk cap perks? Epic dr is pointless, featherfall is fluff, the capstones are shit  and .5[w] can be made up for with fighter allowing room for the monk pastlife.

16/2fighter/2divine or 18/1fighter/1divine offers a much better monk with access to hasteboost and empower heal.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:57am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

naarwen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:57am
Print Post  
elightening! thanks!

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:42am
Print Post  
I'm afraid I have to agree with Munk.  I have a pure halfling monk I'm very fond of (because he was my first toon to heroic cap), but... honestly, there's no reason at all - over and above "because I'm stubborn" - to be a pure monk these days  :/

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I will forgive your engrish.  That said, how about this.  Helf light monk with Cleric Dil.  I would stick with pure, just for the fun factor.  Halfling with Dragon mark of healing is nice too.  Or you could go with the flavor of the moment and pick Blade Forged 18/2 Monk Pally.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Red Sox H8 Yankees wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:24pm:
Helf light monk with Cleric Dil

There's virtually no point in the cleric dilly for anyone who's planning on playing in epic levels, the same goes for halfling dragon marks.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

naarwen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
sorry for my english, I was really high when I wrote that.

jesus, I am an english teacher damnit, shame on me.

Well, I think I will take fighter and divine levels

I can't decide on the divine tho, cleric or fvs?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
naarwen wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 10:11pm:
cleric or fvs?

FVS has better saves, slightly, cleric has wand n scroll mastery, druid has rams might.

I go druid.

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 7:12pm:
There's virtually no point in the cleric dilly for anyone who's planning on playing in epic levels, the same goes for halfling dragon marks.

Sorry about that.  I assumed this was just for the PL and would TR again.

You might want to rethink the dragon mark thing.  Here is Sestra doing EE WGU solo using dragon mark heal with good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTYYfOymR8
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014 at 7:37am by Red Sox H8 Yankees »  

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Let's see here, my formerly pure monk was TR'd into a 12 monk/4 fighter/4 ranger for super-duper unarmed attack speed and extra feats.

But my main is a 12 monk/5 rogue/3 FVS staff build, and he is bad-ass.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Red Sox H8 Yankees wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 7:36am:
You might want to rethink the dragon mark thing.  Here is Sestra doing EE WGU solo using dragon mark heal with good results.

Good results? He's got rejuv cocoon twisted and was using that for his primary healing. At the start of the video he had 8 uses of the heal dragon mark, at the end of the video he had 7 uses remaining.

The jorasco dragon marks are pointless in epics, that emergency healing could easily be replaced with a better race option and silver flame pots
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014 at 3:59pm by Munkenmo »  

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 3:55pm:
Good results? He's got rejuv cocoon twisted and was using that for his primary healing. At the start of the video he had 8 uses of the heal dragon mark, at the end of the video he had 7 uses remaining.

The jorasco dragon marks are pointless in epics, that emergency healing could easily be replaced with a better race option and silver flame pots

I still think that the Jorasco dragonmarks should be somewhat like Bladeforged recon ability. Then we'll have ten thousand whiners saying it's OP and bladeforged are now useless.

To fix the issue of Jorasco dragonmarks being semi-useless (except for break out the leeches), I propose that it become timer-based healing. Not stupidly long like Manyshot, definitely not as short as cleave. Maybe 30 seconds cooldown for the highest tier? 20 seconds on the second tier, 10 seconds on the first tier? It won't be OMFG BLADEFORGED USELESS NOW LOLZCOPTER, but enough for self-support in addition to traditional potions/wands/scrolls.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 4:05pm:
I still think that the Jorasco dragonmarks should be somewhat like Bladeforged recon ability. Then we'll have ten thousand whiners saying it's OP and bladeforged are now useless.

To fix the issue of Jorasco dragonmarks being semi-useless (except for break out the leeches), I propose that it become timer-based healing. Not stupidly long like Manyshot, definitely not as short as cleave. Maybe 30 seconds cooldown for the highest tier? 20 seconds on the second tier, 10 seconds on the first tier? It won't be OMFG BLADEFORGED USELESS NOW LOLZCOPTER, but enough for self-support in addition to traditional potions/wands/scrolls.

That would make the ultimate healbot build: 20 Fvs Halfling.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:13am
Print Post  

You forgot the rest shrine after the orb start up fight.

Adding ways to heal yourself is what make Cocoon work.  All my melee twist it in.  Along with silver flame pots, sov heal pots, UMD/Helf cleric dil (on one toon only) for heal scrolls.  It all adds up which makes you more self sustainable.

On another note.  Were you impressed with Sestra?

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  

those 8 are least DM (CLW)
he used the 6 lesser (CSW) completely
he didn't touch greater DM (healx4), maybe e shrined somewhere though, I skipped some parts

seems cocoon and pots were main healing sources, with DM added for flavour/giggles/"oh shit" moments/whatever

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I always wondered how high Light finisher can human monk get.

1.3 gear 1.2gear 1.1 ship 1.15 lives,1.21 human, not sure how 5% from cores work. 138 devo, 13 heal, GH, maybe 20 epic feat, all the good shit.
GH, Good luck, 8 epic, 25 wisdom, 11 ranks, 36 implement, 13 aug -  240 Devo ?

11d4 for pure monk ? 27.5 average ~ 360 ?
I don't play monks really, just curious if Light finisher is good enough to supplement cocoon, scrolls and stuff.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:00am:
I don't play monks really, just curious if Light finisher is good enough to supplement cocoon, scrolls and stuff.

It can be pretty nice - it's better when the enhancements aren't borked and also work for light moves - gives you the ability to activate it quickly - but even then the biggest issue is setting it up - which because of cooldowns takes too long in an 'oh crap' situation.  It's helpful - but never a replacment for direct 'heal me now' options.

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I found it highly impractical, keeping a stored finisher, to use it when needed, is a pain, a fart in the wrong direction and it's gone. Charging it takes >10 sec (if you have the ki), so not a brilliant option for emergency healing either.
YMMV

Cores are multiplicative afaik, also you get 60 positive sp from shintao cores.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
For melee it's probably save to say that staying pure is always much weaker than splashing, because most splashes are much stronger than the capstones.

And even if that offers so many possibilities I would prefer a better balancing, so that pure class toons are not that much weaker than splashed ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint