Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cauldron of Flame Monk (Read 6870 times)
Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Cauldron of Flame Monk
Sep 22nd, 2014 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I want a build that takes advantage of this ability:

Quote:
Cost: 30 Ki
Cooldown: 1 minute
You expend a use of Meditation to will flame into the world around you. Enemies around you take 2d6 fire damage every 2 seconds, increasing by an additonal 2d6 fire damage every 2 seconds that you remain standing in the center of the flames. If you leave the very center of the flames, this effect ends. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + Monk Level + Wisdom Modifier) reduces damage by half.

So, that means at least 18 monk; I'd rather stay pure, but if it is going to be a staff-user, for example, 2 rogue is kind of a no-brainer.

I have no particular desire to use a staff, but unarmed requires a heavy investment in Shintao and swords/kamas really need the ninja capstone, both of which would cause some serious AP headaches.

Some kind of self-healing (other than light finisher) would be really nice, too.

So, is this doable, or is this on of those, "you can't have it all," situations?

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Cauldron of Flame Monk
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Interesting. I had no idea those were even abilities. Shows how much I respect capstones ;p

2 rogue makes for best synergy using staves and henshin tree.

I would probably splash 2 druid. Get wax and wane, season's greetings. Fallback on wolf form with handwraps for melee. Throwers or no- up to you. Alternately fvs for AoV tree but worse for melee applications than wolves. Utilizing QP and EiN in GMoF maybe?

Fire cloak from cannith perhaps or swap to alchemical/greensteel kamas for fire lore?

I dont know how good this will be, or how to really build it. But it has piqued my interest.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Why would you want to use an ability, that can potentially do a whooping 62d6 (186 average) fire damage every 2 seconds, after you stand 1 minute rooted in place? With reflex for half damage as icing on the cake.
i guess and hope it is affected by fire sp, even then i don't see it's use.
Perhaps running till red DA in EN and then clearing the mobs while piking? But there are easier ways for this I guess.

TL;DR WHY?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:09pm:
TL;DR WHY?

Flavor! Maybe the animation is sweet and it looks cool. It should be affected by lore and power.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
pretty sure these are affected by fire spellpower because Henshin gives fire and force spell power.

Henshin also has a 10% fire vulnerability strike. It has a few other fire and force abilities.

Cauldron of flame seems lame because of it's requirement to expend a meditation.

But if you use all of the Henshin abilities that go with it, like Focus:

While you are meditating, you bring the world around you into focus. The field of focus lasts for 30 seconds from the start of your meditation, and gains power every 3 seconds of your meditation. Each tier of power grants an additional 3 Insight bonus to Universal Spell Power, +1% Insight bonus to hit, and a +2% Insight bonus to weapon damage to all allies within it.

If you run in Divine Crusader, You could be giving yourself and allies 10-30% weapon damage between DC Consecration and Focus. That's a lot. And about 30 Spell Power. All while burning mobs from 4 sources:
Cauldron
Consecration Good
Consecration Fire
Bane Damage from Purification Stacks

Not too shabby. I actually think this has some potential for a tank character. Maybe something like 18 Monk/1Rogue/1Caster for spell casting and metas. Full quarterstaff damage plus Cauldron/Consecration passive damage.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:34pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I'd have to actually play the build to see what works best.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:32pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:09pm:
TL;DR WHY?

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:43pm:

can you tell me more about this build

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:43pm:
[img]

The case when 1 picture is worth a thousand words.

Sign me in.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:51pm:
can you tell me more about this build

I believe that this is a bladeforged 18 monk/2 paladin in Divine Crusader ED.

Certainly, that is a possible build, but its melee power is somewhat lacking, I think.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I saw this ability the other day when leveling my druid with a monk splash and it made me go hmm.  Good to know that hmm was founded.  Didn't think triple aught damage would be capable but still nice!

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:25pm:
Flavor!

No, for flavor, make it a longsword-wielding, dragonmarked elf!

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
So basically run pull a bunch of mobs put crusade and turn on ability and wait til they are dead, then you need to move lose it and begin to cry.

Well it would be ok if you are dualboxing and use a box to pull trash in aura n such.
Would need to try to give a opinion

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:58pm:
No, for flavor, make it a longsword-wielding, dragonmarked elf!

Um, what about this?

Elf

20 monk

STR 8
DEX 20 + levels
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 16
CHA 8

Feats:

Dragonmark
TWF
WF: slash
WSS
Precision
Light path
iTWF
IC: slash
gTWF

T4 Henshin and T5 Ninja?

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

SayWhatAgain
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 3:35am
Print Post  
I'd be interested to know what's the max number of stacks the aura can get to. After 1 minute it would get to 62d6 (which is outragous for base damage) however that's the cooldown and not nessecarly the duration.

Max 5 uses per rest and the need to be stationary makes this ability viable for solo if at all and situational at best for when running in a group.

Nice synergy with DC though and you don't really need to build for it (other than taking 18 monk). The dc calc won't get you a decent number regardless of wisdom so it's kinda pointless to go all out wisdom.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
SayWhatAgain wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 3:35am:
The dc calc won't get you a decent number regardless of wisdom so it's kinda pointless to go all out wisdom.

If in GMoF with wisdom of 64 the dc should be 60. For reflex that isn't shabby at all for ee.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #16 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 3:44am:
If in GMoF with wisdom of 64 the dc should be 60. For reflex that isn't shabby at all for ee.

It might be ok for motus, but not enough for gh wheloon and horns

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:07am:
but not enough for gh wheloon and horns

Aside the assassins. Most of those mobs will be on their ass with a quake or drifting lotus dc of 60,

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #18 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:06am:
Aside the assassins. Most of those mobs will be on their ass with a quake or drifting lotus dc of 60,

Oh since its a ability of standing in place, you could use things like sleet storm solid foq etc.
Hmm but its not active combat enough for me, might work out tho

Assasins and gnoll archers got crazy high reflex and evasion, other mobs have semi high reflex save so the damage will most of the time be hit by half.
Also for some reason also casters have higherish reflex save, wonder why tho /orc clerics
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:27am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

SayWhatAgain
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:06am:

True but going all out wisdom comes at a cost. Right now dumping wis and just having gear/past lives/enhancements you can get a no fail sf however even going all out wis QP still isn't high enough to be worth using.

Sure you could go GMoF like you suggested in order to get some more out of your wisdom but that comes at the cost of the nice synergy with DC.

All in all I'm underwhelmed, not that anyone suggested it's uber.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:25am:
orc clerics

Those things are dangerous. They have high saves on all 3 stats.

SayWhatAgain wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 5:15pm:
QP still isn't high enough to be worth using.

Agreed, unless it was at 90s, they lowered it by an average of 15~. I guess if it can hit 75~ then it's alright.

Sure you could go GMoF like you suggested in order to get some more out of your wisdom but that comes at the cost of the nice synergy with DC.

Yeah, It's just more cc while standing in place with Lotus and EiN mid 60s forces will or fort, whatever is lowest. Will gets a lot of ded mobs at 60s. a flavor build based around an ability, but it could be fun. I actually might try this for my 3rd monk life. Not in any rush, however, as new changes are ez pz for pally and bards.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2014 at 5:25pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #21 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
even going all out wis QP still isn't high enough to be worth using.

Did anyone test to see if this boosts quivering palm?

Quote:
Know the Angles: Activation cost: [45/30/15] spell points. Cooldown: 20 seconds. Antirequisite: Divine Might. You gain and Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Intelligence modifier for [30/60/120] seconds.

I completely forgot to do so whilst Lam was up ><

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:34pm:

Can test for you, need to tweak new wolf idea and want to check tempest things anyways.
Lam should be open during weekend from what i heard from cordo

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:34pm:

I tried an int/wis monk when harper was released , know the angles was not working on QP, but it was bugged in many ways back then. Maybe it changed.

IP Logged

SayWhatAgain
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Sep 25th, 2014 at 5:02am:
I tried an int/wis monk when harper was released , know the angles was not working on QP, but it was bugged in many ways back then. Maybe it changed.

That's interesting.
I'd like to test PDK cha bonus to tactics and see if it effects QP. The Harper int bonus is better of course if it would work. PDK requires your cha to be higher than your str and naturally restricts your race.

But all n all single target instakill ain't all that anymore due to orange names immunity and the slug fest nature of quests these days.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2014 at 12:20pm by SayWhatAgain »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint