Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Elf Ranged Paladin.Is it possible? (Read 6006 times)
Spider-Homie
Korthos Resident

Trying to figure shit
out.

Elf Ranged Paladin.Is it possible?
Sep 23rd, 2014 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Sooooo, the reason I wanna' attempt this is because I've always wanted to make a ranged pally (elf!) and I already did monkcher/Barb AA/ pure ranger.(also doing this for pally past life)I heard also that holy sword is gonna' be a cool buff or some shit so I want that too, you know? Now when it comes to the build split, it's tough. 14 pally 6 ranger no evasion?  Undecided  8 pally 6 ranger 6 monk no holy sword and monkcher all over again?  Undecided This is a 36 pointer with 3 ranger, 3 monk, 1 fvs, 1 rogue past life with +4 tomes (except cha, +3). Booooy, this shit is hard *rubs head*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Elf Ranged Paladin.Is it possible?
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 11:34am
Print Post  
On behalf of NYC, I'd like to apologize to everyone here for someone naming themselves Spider-Homie

Also, maybe 14 p/6 m.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2014 at 11:34am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Possible, but I am finding there are holes in every build I am trying.  I either have to dump the idea of monk and 10K stars or be very pigeon holed in a lot of ways.  Another issue was skills.  Pally's get almost nothing for skill points.

14p / 6m if you want 10k stars, evasion, and holy sword. 

IP Logged

Spider-Homie
Korthos Resident

Trying to figure shit
out.

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
ooooo, I think this could work. 14 paladin, 4 ranger, 2 rogue or 2 monk! :0 Now for the leveling order, I need help with that so I can properly choose feats. Idc about 10k stars this life, already did it.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
it's possible, but imo 14paladin gives up too many ranger benefits.

Firstly rate of fire with bows is absolutely fucking awful, so (again imo) 6monk is absolutely required for 10k stars.

Next as a 14paladin / 6monk you're forced into taking an elven race for Racial AA.

That brings stats to be an issue, elves get the benefit of unlocking dex for damage with bows, but that nullifies the point of getting str from divine might.  Given that with divine might your str score will definately be better than your dex score getting bow strength is pretty much still required, so lets look at feats:

7 Heroic:
  • 1 point blank shot
  • 3 weapon focus ranged
  • 6 bow strength
  • 9 rapid shot
  • 12 many shot
  • 15 precise shot
  • 18 improved precise shot

3 Monk:
  • Precision
  • Zen Archery
  • Ten Thousand Stars

3 Epic:
  • Improved Critical Ranged
  • Improved Combat Archery
  • Either Master of Forms or Overwhelming Critical

There's no room for all the feats required to get optimal DPS let alone extra feats for enhancing or diversifying your build.

So comparing the opportunity costs of a
14pally/6monk:

Free twist slot
Holy sword:
  • +2 holy bonus to its enhancement value and +1[W].
  • +1 Competence bonus to the critical threat range, and multiplier of the weapon.

and then the 12monk/6ranger/2paladin:

Racial freedom
Up to +14 extra AP  (no need to reach tier 3 in racial tree or spend 4ap unlocking  AA)
Abundant step
Improved evasion
~36skill points.
Rams Might
Deepwood Stalker:
  • 15m Point blank shot range, +3 sneak attack dice, +30 pos spell power, sniper shot

5 Feats. eg:
  • Deflect arrows, Master of forms, Completionist, Quicken, Empower heal

I think a 14pally/6monk will be viable, but when compared to a 12/6/2 the 14paladin builds aren't optimal.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:42pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Munk what do you think about shifting the current monkcher build?
Since dg is getting nerfed i was thinking more like 12 monk 5 palie 3 ranger, you get the free feats anyways from oc crit line.
And its still more saves that way, i was thinking 2 ranger but dont know, i mean being forced into a elf or helf /which might be ok since dual boost still/ but loss of sniper shot might hurt.

I just dont like the saves il lose as regular monkcher build.
Im doing the regular bf 12 6 2 now for funs sake and as i anticipate it being good for new raid for gear farm before i tr again to some caster thing (and i need my last 3 primal lifes so kinda limited on builds since im almost done with etrsing)

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I only went 2paladin for one life and quickly realised I didn't really need pally saves on an improved evasion monkcher. Imo 12/6/2FVS/cleric is the best option, keeps divine might and a twist slot.

As for 3 ranger, that precludes you from tiers 4 and 5 in Ranger AA.  If 5 paladin is for the neg level immunity, the AP is going to be incredibly restrictive, I'd much rather stick with 6ranger and get neg level immunity from Shadowdancer for times it's absolutely required.

The feats I'm gaining from OC are being spent on: Dodge, Completionist & Quicken

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Would suggest to spend on deflect arrows and the deflect upgrade, archers in new raid are deadly as hell

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 1:52am
Print Post  
my monkcher already has deflect arrows.

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 10:05am
Print Post  
I have to agree with munk....  I tried a ton of different ways to work in Holy Sword for ranged and the only way is 14/6monk and you HAVE to go dex build since you will not have the feats.  I also struggled to get the harper int bonus now that they moved that up the tree.

This may all change when they fully implement ranged power, but for u23, it will be best for 12monk 6 ranger 2 cler/fvs/pal.  I am leaning towards 2 cleric myself.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Can anyone describe the latest monkcher in details? I mean stats, feats, skills etc?

Only played monkcher couple years ago, and it's about time to TR my pure bard.

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Oyster wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 1:26pm:
Can anyone describe the latest monkcher in details? I mean stats, feats, skills etc?

Only played monkcher couple years ago, and it's about time to TR my pure bard.

I think if you look up a pre- u23 moncher, it will be pretty much what you want.  Str based, get final wisdom up around 42 for 10k stars goodness and min dex for combat archery (21 dex to be able to select at lvl 21 or 24). 

The biggest difference will be that you get 3 feats back as you no longer need power attack, cleave and great cleave.  So, you can get empower heal if you go 2 FvS or Cleric...  and 2 feats of whatever else (extend or something).

With the latest pally nerf, it may not make sense going 2 Pally anymore since you can get the same from 2 FvS and save a twist.  I think -8 on the saves total post u23.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 2:51pm by Kluege »  

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 2:49pm:
I think if you look up a pre- u23 moncher, it will be pretty much what you want.  Str based, get final wisdom up around 42 for 10k stars goodness and min dex for combat archery (21 dex to be able to select at lvl 21 or 24). 

The biggest difference will be that you get 3 feats back as you no longer need power attack, cleave and great cleave.  So, you can get empower heal if you go 2 FvS or Cleric...  and 2 feats of whatever else (extend or something).

With the latest pally nerf, it may not make sense going 2 Pally anymore since you can get the same from 2 FvS and save a twist.  I think -8 on the saves total post u23.

Pally nerf? What pally nerf?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
He means the Divine Grace Nerf.

But frankly +8 to saves on a 2 splash is still a Cha 26, and quite a bonus.  You just wont have the approximately +13 from before.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 3:51pm:

But frankly +8 to saves on a 2 splash is still a Cha 26, and quite a bonus.  You just wont have the approximately +13 from before.

The DG nerf isn't a nerf if you have more paladin levels Cheesy.

Yeah, I have a toon that's on its paladin life. As soon as it gets stronger, I'm TRing her into barbarian.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 4:00pm:
The DG nerf isn't a nerf if you have more paladin levels Cheesy.

Yeah, I have a toon that's on its paladin life. As soon as it gets stronger, I'm TRing her into barbarian.

This is also my plan. Use pally until u24 then go barb cos new op changes.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 5:58pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 3:51pm:

Yes, so the question you need to answer is do you want +8 to saves or Divine might as a spell (save a twist for regen turns) and access to empower healing as the big differences.  Also, I think the DG nerf will not hit this patch anyways so...  may be a moot point.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:15am by Kluege »  

IP Logged

Spider-Homie
Korthos Resident

Trying to figure shit
out.

Reply #17 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I got it, 14 pally, 4 ranger, 2 monk. holy sword, evasion, just gotta' take many shot and improved precise shot.

IP Logged

Spider-Homie
Korthos Resident

Trying to figure shit
out.

Reply #18 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
oh yeah, elven AA.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint