Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Caster build ideas? (Read 10392 times)
Angry
Puppy Farmer

Caster build ideas?
Oct 14th, 2014 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I'm bored, so I started thinking about what I want to do with one of my toons for her next life. Next life will be 3rd and she'll have cleric and wizard past life. What I would like to do is a caster build, maybe fvs or sorc, not shiradi... preferably something a bit different that I haven't done before, but that can still handle to solo some ee's.

I haven't really had or have any real goals with this toon, it's been more like "play what I feel like". Well, now I want to do some kind of caster. Oh, and another thing is that I don't want it to be any popular build, I want it to be something that no one or very few play.

So.. any ideas?
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2014 at 7:31am by Angry »  

IP Logged

WelloveLLamas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Caster build ideas?
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Friend and I have been trying to work on an evoker druid. But not the usual 18/2 druid/monk or 17/2/1 Druid/monk/wiz. With the armor up changes the evasion and 2 wis monk provides is kinda meh. Rather turtle up with dragon armor and a shield. 18 Druid/1 fvs/1 wizard in Exalted angel.  Smiley

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Thank you. Don't think I want to turn this toon into a druid, though. I have another toon that's a druid.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Not sure about the level split but I am sure you could get lots of mileage out of a heavy armor melee/light damage build that favors SWF + Orb with at least 2Ftr/2Pal/16FVS. 

36 pt Stats: Str 18+Levels, Con 16, Cha 16 (Human)
Concentration, Heal, Balance and w/e if any left.
Feats: 8Heroic, 2Ftr bonus
SWFx3, Quicken, Shield Mastery, ISM, Bastard Sword/Khopesh, IC: Slash, Maximise, Empower

3 epic, Can be whatever to round out depending on ED needs like Spell Focus for magister or w/e, but Force of Personality/Precision/OC/Emp Heal/PA+Cleave for LD are good too.

Could also go PDK with 18+levels into Cha, 18 Con, the rest into Int for Skill Points (UMD, Spellcraft) with similar Feat setup but would get pretty good Cha Based DCs ED SLAs like energy burst, sound burst etc, Charisma to hit and damage with Bastard Swords, a shit-ton of SP and HP.

A deeper splash into Pal or Ftr for more defense/feats but lower CL for FVS light spells.

2Pal/4Ftr/14FVS would be a nice split too but a 2/6/12FVS can be awesome...

IDK really so many ways to go depending on your preferences...

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Be bold. Daring. Brave. Bard caster in exalted angel. Go!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:37am
Print Post  
When I get to TR'ing this toon (need to work some on her ED's first), I'll have a caster cleric, melee cleric, fighter, melee druid.. this my 5th toon, and I want a dps focused caster of some sort. I was leaning towards fvs or sorc.. don't mind splashes, but would need a clear reason why the splash is better than pure to do it. Most weeks I play all 5 toons, so I like my variation.

Oh, and I decided I don't want shiradi (would do shiradi if I made a shuri). Like someone said, they'd prefer to have a reliable dps, than one that's dependant on procs.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:40am by Angry »  

IP Logged

WelloveLLamas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Psh, druid casters are the most fun, but fair enough.
Sorc probably what you're looking for, heavy enchant focus in draconic.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 11:59am
Print Post  
WelloveLLamas wrote on Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:05am:
Psh, druid casters are the most fun, but fair enough.
Sorc probably what you're looking for, heavy enchant focus in draconic.

I plan to turn my melee druid into a caster druid for her next life, so I don't want two caster druids.

Well, it is about 2 years since I've played a sorc, so I would be interested in something like that. Maybe drow, maxed cha air savant? 20 cha, 14 con, 16 int.

It is a bit too early to start planning the build yet, but something like that maybe? One of my other toons was a wf ice savant back in 2012. I don't really want to do robot this time.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2014 at 12:25pm by Angry »  

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Bard 6 (mass hold sla) / Air Savant 14
unorthodox and unpopular, probably for a good reason

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I like my Fire Savant Crusader hybrid.  14Sorc/4Pal/2Fvs.  Great defenses, nukes, and a decent khopesh.  Only one I know who plays it.  Is BF but can be adapted to any of the 4 Elves(for -asf).

Not a real dc caster so maybe not what you are looking for.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Smiley well, that gives me some ideas. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of melee casters, though. I mean I used to like them, but if you want to be good at something, you need to choose a focus. If I choose caster, I won't be meleing.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 6:07am
Print Post  
I only melee fire immunes and Liches in between ruins.  The way my build is setup I got decent melee as a side effect.  Crusader stuff, shield feat doublestrike, easy access to divine might/favor, etc.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:01am
Print Post  
IMHO a simple but effective option is pure Elemental Sorc running Draconic - absolute fun for solo or group play.
Choose your primary and secondary elements and stock up on caster sticks early.  Get your Wheloon stat and +5 DC gear while you're at cap.
Still room for versatility (CC and instakill) too with the right gear/augments/feats.  If you're not looking to solo EE, it's good fun for a life.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Drow/human air/fire sorc with focus depending on content you want to run.
Twist sense empyrian enchant and cocoon and be a demigod.
If i was to drop one of those would prolly drop enchant or cocoon since  emyrpian and sense give to much for that build.

IF you want druid, think about splashing bard for evoc dc.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 7:18am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:01am:
IMHO a simple but effective option is pure Elemental Sorc running Draconic - absolute fun for solo or group play.
Choose your primary and secondary elements and stock up on caster sticks early.  Get your Wheloon stat and +5 DC gear while you're at cap.
Still room for versatility (CC and instakill) too with the right gear/augments/feats.  If you're not looking to solo EE, it's good fun for a life.

Lelouch wrote on Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:20am:
Drow/human air/fire sorc with focus depending on content you want to run.
Twist sense empyrian enchant and cocoon and be a demigod.
If i was to drop one of those would prolly drop enchant or cocoon since  emyrpian and sense give to much for that build.

I am leaning towards something like that, sounds like it could be fun.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Oct 14th, 2014 at 7:25am:
Oh, and another thing is that I don't want it to be any popular build, I want it to be something that no one or very few play.

I believe we might have found a caster hipster, they are very rare these days.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Sasha wrote on Oct 16th, 2014 at 8:51am:
I believe we might have found a caster hipster, they are very rare these days.

Smiley no idea what that means. I just don't want to play popular builds. I don't like copied builds and I don't like competing about who can play the build better. I don't mind difficult builds, making them work for you is it's own challenge. I do like well planned builds, though, because adjusting on the fly and ending up with something that doesn't work tends to result in annoyance.

Note: I am aware that I have 1 copied build atm. She's ok, but I don't really like the build. Or maybe I just don't know how to get the most out of it. Will TR soon.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Ok... then you shouldn't take the 14sorc/4pal/2fvs split. Because the split itself just looks like a variation of a famours shiradi sorc split to make use of the u23 changes.

Or is a famous split ok if the build itself is different?

And regarding the ability to solo EEs... not sure if a pure sorc is able to heal well enough for that, even if you have displace always on. It's at least far away from easy button reconstruct or heal.

But... my 18sorc/2fvs fire savant is really fun to play, even if he is not in shiradi. Although I am not sure how well he would do in EE without beeing in shiradi. And it's too famous anyways + a shiradi build, but just wanted to say that a fire sorc is really fun in heroics and epics(is more fun for me than my lightning sorc atm and I was a big fan of chain lightning and ball lightning in the last 2-3 years).
Only in vale and gh tor it's not fun to be fire savant, or anything else where you find many fire immune mobs.

So yeah... as already mentioned pure sorc is fun, you just have to deal with no easy button recontruct if you use the elemental forms. And depending on your gear and player skill it might be difficult to survive in EE, especially compared to the famous builds. Tongue

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 5:07am by SwashbucklerHater »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:26am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 5:02am:
Ok... then you shouldn't take the 14sorc/4pal/2fvs split. Because the split itself just looks like a variation of a famours shiradi sorc split to make use of the u23 changes.

Or is a famous split ok if the build itself is different?

And regarding the ability to solo EEs... not sure if a pure sorc is able to heal well enough for that, even if you have displace always on. It's at least far away from easy button reconstruct or heal.

But... my 18sorc/2fvs fire savant is really fun to play, even if he is not in shiradi. Although I am not sure how well he would do in EE without beeing in shiradi. And it's too famous anyways + a shiradi build, but just wanted to say that a fire sorc is really fun in heroics and epics(is more fun for me than my lightning sorc atm and I was a big fan of chain lightning and ball lightning in the last 2-3 years).
Only in vale and gh tor it's not fun to be fire savant, or anything else where you find many fire immune mobs.

So yeah... as already mentioned pure sorc is fun, you just have to deal with no easy button recontruct if you use the elemental forms. And depending on your gear and player skill it might be difficult to survive in EE, especially compared to the famous builds. Tongue

You can selfheal quite nicely as pure human/drow sorc.
You dont need to seflheal to be precise since you rely on your enchant/conju dc to control the field and on terms of zerg capability a dc focused sorc can complete any content faster in the hands of a player of equall skill.
Issue that comes from dc sorc that people dont like is sp insufficiency and efectivness but combine card pots eross bauble new embers and the issue solved itself.
Yes i know those things are hard to get, but a dc caster was always more work to begin with and it pays off in the end.

I played a shira/regular sorc on my main and i was impressed by dc way more then shira since i could control my dps and i would outdamage any shira on the long run /only when they proc queen tea they will be superb but its simple 1 time use have luck ability vs constant reliable dps.

Imo the popular fsoul splash abusing archon and throwers are best shiradi builds, i would never do it on a wizz or sorc and esp on sorc since it looses to much by going shiradi.
On a palemaster maybe, since you can now build hybrid /dc focused pure pm in shiradi with enough dcs for any content.

Simply put trash control and clearing from draconic sorc is better and dps from increased caster levels /extra spp burst breath draconic clickie with dots is just brutally good.
(also you can get to impressive defense stats now, as drow i did some funny setups, dodge was 3 pl 3 racial 3 feat 3 air ele form and 10 item aka 22, now 23 with new belt + i got bard bot that can raise that number by 4 more, prr was 20 form 10 shield 30 item 15 shield mastery 30 plife, aka 105 now more since i have all prr plifes + you could maybe go harmor and put some points into eldritch since you dont need max dcs due to helm from new raid)
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:35am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:17am
Print Post  
This fleshy sorc talk is always fun.
Yet noone plays them, except few on the forums, DrPeppero, Kokaisa and that that Argo guy.

Noone on Ghallanda. Literally. Not in quests, not in raids.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:51am
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 5:02am:

I did 2 lives as a scroll healing monk, I also played a barbarian, and an AA bard that couldn't heal for shit until he got cocoon. This toon is atm a pm monk, stick build. Was pretty awful to level, as healing was shit. She's finally starting to be fun to play at 25 (I still need to work on better healing though). A fleshy sorc I don't see as having a whole lot of problems in comparison. I just have to pay attention to aggro management... don't take on more than I can chew. I'm also excellent at running away, lol.

Wipe wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:17am:
Yet noone plays them, except few on the forums, DrPeppero, Kokaisa and that that Argo guy.

Noone on Ghallanda. Literally. Not in quests, not in raids.

Smiley I like that, makes me want to play one.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:52am by Angry »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 8:04am
Print Post  
I'm trying to think up a max fire spellpower build to abuse consecration from divine crusader.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:17am:

and that one dude on Orien.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:20am by NOTdarth »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:25am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:19am:
and that one dude on Orien.