Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New player (Read 3584 times)
Ghallis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

New player
Oct 16th, 2014 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone

First life, access to all game adventure packs, not VIP. Playing on Thelanis server.

I'm trying to find some up to date information on builds.

Im VERY new to game, looking mostly for survivability and detailed instructions on what skills and stuff to get going from one level to the next. As it will probably take me forever to get my character up to end game standard, not gonna worry about that too much though it would be nice to understand why and how certain builds work end game.

Pointing me to good posts is really all I need and ill do the grunt work of going through them, just need directions please.

Ghallis

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: New player
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
For endgame, the most important thing is balance.

At least 7 points of balance, that is.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
I like the tumble my way through endgame.
So 7 points of tumble as well

IP Logged

Ghallis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:54am
Print Post  
thank you for the endgame tips but as mentioned im looking more for solo 28pt builds for new players to get to know game.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Well, first of all, welcome to the game! I'm on Thelanis, as well (I'll PM you details), and would be happy to show you around.

Ghallis wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:54am:
thank you for the endgame tips but as mentioned im looking more for solo 28pt builds for new players to get to know game.

OK, the big thing to understand here is that 28-point builds are very limited; many feats have stat requirements, and many enhancements have feat requirements, and even people with 36-point builds sometimes need tomes to increase their stats to make it work. Depending on what you want to do, you may have to make some difficult choices.

It would also help to know if you prefer to play melee (tank or dps), ranged, caster, healer, support, etc. I recommend playing a healer first, since you will get groups easily, people will be patient with you, and you can learn the game and quests before taking on a more challenging role.w

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Ghallis wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:54am:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/410183-EllisDee37

and

https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/330010-unbongwah

are posting builds for new players, might give you ideas maybe.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I play sometimes on Thelanis too, let me know if you need something like plat..
There are a bunch of builds that work great without past lives, only have one main stat and are easy to gear out. Some stay great even in epic elite. But a little more information is needed:

-      Do you want to solo play most of the time, or will you play in groups/ with friends most of the time
-      Is it ok for you to play on normal and hard difficulty or do you want to join those “elite bravery bonus” Pick-Up-Groups or even solo elite?
-      Do you prefer to play a caster, ranged or melee toon? Do you want to survive or to disable traps, can you mind doors and chests that stay locked?

At the moment I would start a Swashbuckler Trapper Bard, Drow Pale Master, Wolf Druid or another melee with good self healing like the Paladin/Divine Caster Mixes that got good recently. Throwers are a pain to gear out, so are most tankish builds. Let us know what you are looking for, perhaps someone can link an detailed build.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 10:33am
Print Post  
A very survivable self-healing/party healing melee hybrid build for intial forays into DDO that also plays well through level 28 epic hard content and works well with several Epic Destinies I would recommend (and play all day for that matter)

Human 28pt, 2Paladin/2Fighter/16Cleric no tomes
Str 16 + Level Ups
Con 14
Cha 16
Int 10
Wis 8
Dex 8

Wisdom will be too low intially to cast cleric spells but an Owl's wisdom pot (+4 to Wis) will be enough to cast level 2 cleric spells until you get some gear with more wisdom.  To cast level 8 spells you will need a wisdom of 18 including gear, tomes and enhancements.  Also, this build does not plan to land any DC based damage spells.  Light based spells like Searing Light, Divine Punishment have no save but will eat through your spell points quickly.  Built to use Two-handed weapons and get most out of Greatsword/GreatAxe/Falchion on crits and healing from radiant servant bursts, aura and ameliorating strikes.

Leveling Order and Feats
1 Paladin, Power Attack, Cleave
2,3 Cleric, Empower Heal Spell
4 Paladin
5,6 Cleric, Great Cleave
7,8 Fighter THF, ITHF
9-20 Cleric
9 Quicken,
12 Improved Crit: Slashing
15 GTHF
18 Force of Personality
21 Overwhelming Critical
24 Maximise Spell or Extra Turning
27 Blinding Speed

Skills: Max Concentration, Heal, Balance, Jump to about 5 and some in tumble.

Enhancements: 
Bulk in Radiant Servant for Healing Bursts and Tier 5 Healing Aura
Warpriest with Divine Might etc Up to Tier 4 Ameliorating Strike
Human Tree for some Healing Amp
Small Dip into Kensai with Heavy Blades to get extra action Boosts and Haste Boost
Small Dip into Knight of the Chalice for Extra Turns.

Along the way bump your PRR/Hp/Saves/# of Turns/Strength/Charisma

I know its rough but its a good start and Enhancements can be reset to try different things but the leveling order and Feats should be solid.

Actually I keep a character slot open to roll up whatever level 4, level 7 or level 15 (iconic) character when my guildies need a TR partner so planning on rolling this up next.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

NIN
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
honestly man, just find another game.  DDO is a fucking hot mess and doesn't deserve any new players.

it's a game that's broken beyond belief with no real objectives besides seeing how much futility your gaming soul can sustain before shattering.

if you have a bunch of friends in game and can have fun just running around like shit-stains, snapping metaphorical bra straps, it has some residual value but under no circumstances should you be pursuing any sort of in game goals or achievements.  that would be delusional.

should you choose to proceed regardless, I wish you a fond Hi Welcome.

IP Logged

Ghallis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I'm a casual player so tried to be in guild but as I didnt log on for a few months I have a feeling ill be playing solo most times.

Here is a build I found ..evasion paladin? Presently at level 11 and im in the house phiarlan area doing the quests to get into the necropolis but a bit lost as there is a LOT of level 5 ish quests in there which im not sure is prequests.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422682

Im also plying Lotro and my favorite playstyle is ranged casters like loremasters/runekeepers but ranged melee like rangers with pets are also interesting. Healing is definitley something I enjoy but wanted to first get a feel of game mechanics and builds before trying one out unless there is a viable healing 28pt build. Im trying to get favor up to 1750 to at least get a 32pt and wanted to mention i do have veteran status.

Any help would be nice if your on thelanis server and my character is called Ghallis Lilkh. PM me with when your on and will make effort to log on at those times to discuss more complicated mechanics like TR or elite which i have NO clue about. Im also open to starting on other server as I just want to have fun and I know groups can be a huge learning experience.

Thanks

IP Logged

Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Thelanis is one of the better populated servers and good if you play on EU or US hours. Regarding the "mess" DDO is: It has some bugs, like most games, but nothing game breaking (at least for me.) The "fun-per-money-spend" ratio is OK and still better than in most other multiplayer online games with comparable business models.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:53pm by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Ghallis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Ok so my foray into the builds has brought down my choices to the following possibilities but not sure where to find UPDATED builds for them...

Pure cleric build- ( healing rocks ! ) point finger and DIEEE !!!..ohh yeah healing would be fun  Wink !

Artificer- ( like the dog pet ) Hello can we say BORG !

Wizard - Can I have a METEOR SHOWER with that fireball please !!!

So any help would be appreciated ... going to work through crafting though I have a feeling its gonna take a while but if I have a fun build farming mats will be just awesome. Still probably will be soloing a lot.

IP Logged

Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Artificer is very front-loaded. A blast until epic levels, but it gets a bit harder to contribute to endgame content/difficulty. You could follow this build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/386775-Dubbell-O-Seven-casting-ranged-... but you have to adapt it for first live (start with INT 16 and you are almost there)

For wizard look here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide Ignore Sun-Elf, the Harper Tree and the pastlives. PMs work just fine as first livers with drow, palemaster and archmage enhancements.

Cleric first live? I would go battlecleric with heavy armor, single weapon fighting + orb or use a shield. Eitherway I would splash paladin or fighter and boost MRR and PRR. Combined with good positive and light spellpower (both easy on a cleric) you can heal, buff, pew pew light spells and SLAS, withstand a good amount of incoming damage and hit the mobs back with non-trivial damage.
All in all a nice package, but I haven't seen good first live builds yet.  Don't go for spells that require a DC check on a first live cleric, that can easily become frustrating.

IP Logged

3000 Year Old Necromancer
Korthos Resident

TNT knows Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Ghallis wrote on Oct 16th, 2014 at 5:30pm:
Hello everyone

First life, access to all game adventure packs, not VIP. Playing on Thelanis server.

I'm trying to find some up to date information on builds.

Im VERY new to game, looking mostly for survivability and detailed instructions on what skills and stuff to get going from one level to the next. As it will probably take me forever to get my character up to end game standard, not gonna worry about that too much though it would be nice to understand why and how certain builds work end game.

Pointing me to good posts is really all I need and ill do the grunt work of going through them, just need directions please.

Ghallis

This should help you plan out your character.

http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

Skoodge wrote on Nov 4th, 2014 at 5:32am:
A good joke is like a good recipe.  Try using a little less butthurt next time, it throws off the flavor Wink

GermanicusMaximus wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 3:52pm:
Why thank you, although I needed no affirmation of that fact from anyone, and certainly not from some sad, fat fuck who is a DDO fanboi.

Having said that, I am a Time Warner stockholder, and every  bit of profit that can be wrung out of Turbine has a chance of increasing my dividend check. As such, I would encourage you to continue spending money on DDO as you attempt to offset the wretched reality that is your life.

Just for your information, not all companies optimize their business operations to maximize current profits. Amazon, for example, is much more interested in increasing its market share at the expense of current profits.

You would know these kinds of things if you were anyone who mattered, but clearly you aren't.

Now, be a good little fanboi and toddle off to the Turbine forums where you can get your daily dose of Cordo ass kissing done.

Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint