Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Peculiar build request (Read 4015 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Peculiar build request
Oct 27th, 2014 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for a dual box build to make soloing some raids a bit easier.  Basically, this means:

1) Minimal input required
2) tankish
3) decent ranged auto-attack DPS

So far, I've settled on 14 paladin bladeforged with heavy armor and defender stance, but I don't know whether to spec for shurikens or crossbow as I don't know enough about ranged DPS to compare them.  Both options will probably be built maxing out harper scout.  Xbow seems to have a lot higher base damage and a better crit profile, but shuris seem to have a higher rate of fire. 

For shuriken, I'm thinking 14 paladin (holy sword) /3 monk (extra shuriken procs)/3 arti (rune arm)

For xbows, I'm thinking 14 paladin / 2 arti (rune arm) / 4 fighter (feats, kensai). 

Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 8:32pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: Peculiar build request
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 8:29pm:
For shuriken, I'm thinking 14 paladin (holy sword) /3 monk (extra shuriken procs)/3 arti (rune arm)

For shuriken to be effective you need a really good dex score.  For cross bows you can rely soley on int, and benefit from int again in the harper tree.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 9:03pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I want to take a shot at a thrower build because this is a really interesting thought.

General stuff first I guess.

No 10k, Slayer, or Fury builds because those need more clicking. If you're not going 10k then go for doubleshot.

Must have feats: PBS, Rapid shot, Quickdraw, IC: Thrown, Shuriken Expertise

Obvious choice feats: Precision, OC

Must have enhancement: Advanced Ninja Training (lvl 3 monk core). Allows dex to damage on shurikens and gives a roll for an extra star per animation. The former doesn't work when uncentered but the latter does.

ANT and SE stack, so every point of dex works out to +2% doubleshot (sort of, it's +1% on two separate rolls)
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/447209-Shuriken-and-doubleshot

I'm not sure if he posted it here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/442140-Thrown-Attack-Speed

Must have Haste, full bab by whatever method, and twist Whirling Wrists or be in Shiradi.

I won't credit the author by name because I don't know if it's bad form to out somebody's handle between the forums even if it's obvious. But most of what I need to know about throwers I don't bother to remember I just reference his threads.

I want to take a stab at a build but first some questions:

1. How minimal do you want the input? What's the length of time you really want to leave it uncontrolled? Like, tab into it every 3 minutes or true fire and forget? This brings up Blinding Speed v. Haste, for example.

2. How far away do you really want to park it? Will you rescue it if it gets jumped by mobs?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:20pm:
ust have enhancement: Advanced Ninja Training (lvl 3 monk core). Allows dex to damage on shurikens and gives a roll for an extra star per animation. The former doesn't work when uncentered but the latter does.

Are you sure about that, harharhar posted pics proving that you got dex - damage and extra shurikens regardless of centering.

If the above poster is right:
I'd say the best bet for this build is probably going to be a Halfling Heavy armor Legendary Dreadnaught Tosser. If you are locked into halfling I think you may aswell give up paladin altogether and pick up Master thrower from the racial tree.

This opens up your options a bit 11rogue/6wiz/3monk becomes the best bet though imo:

Benefits:
Permanent Tensors Transformation
+6 dex from Shadow Dodge (acrobat tree)
Rogue bonus feat (I'd consider crippling strike)
Sneak attack inplace of kotc light damage
Venomed Blades
2d4 elemental damage (EK)

eg.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:56pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 2:51am
Print Post  
If its a autoatacker build why not a ranger for 25 archer focus stacks?
Just wondering, would be 5 ranger smthn smthn (or 6 if bow)
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2014 at 2:53am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:33pm:
Are you sure about that, harharhar posted pics proving that you got dex - damage and extra shurikens regardless of centering.

If the above poster is right:
I'd say the best bet for this build is probably going to be a Halfling Heavy armor Legendary Dreadnaught Tosser. If you are locked into halfling I think you may aswell give up paladin altogether and pick up Master thrower from the racial tree.

This opens up your options a bit 11rogue/6wiz/3monk becomes the best bet though imo:

Benefits:
Permanent Tensors Transformation
+6 dex from Shadow Dodge (acrobat tree)
Rogue bonus feat (I'd consider crippling strike)
Sneak attack inplace of kotc light damage
Venomed Blades
2d4 elemental damage (EK)

eg.
http://i.imgur.com/YtGUeW7.png

Nice ideas, but I want to keep bladeforged so I can heal without having to constantly swap screens (since my main is an aracne) and I want the tankiness from paladin sacred defense.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Nice idea with ranger archer's focus, never thought of that Shocked

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:33pm:

http://i.imgur.com/YtGUeW7.png

Trust harharhar over me. I do. I tried it briefly on an old jugg build but I didn't jiggle swap things to see if I could get it to work. Also the uncentered came from a rune arm, not sure if that's important v. from armor.

So I had this idea but there's no way to make the AP work on everything, no Defender especially. Here it is anyway.

Autotoon
12/5/3 Pal/Fvs/Monk

12 Pal - KoTC light on damage
5 Fvs - Crown of Retribution (put this on the main, will increase the damage from KoTC light cores), Divine Vessel (here's the Auto part), Divine Intervention for the main, full BaB from Divine Power
3 Monk - Advanced Ninja Training

Ranged charges Divine Vessel which goes off automagically. So things get really cute if Divine Vessel charges Endless Ardor from Exalted Angel. It will take a while, like almost 4 minutes, but eventually it would get there. Then you have a charged epic moment to tab over to, one that can self-raise. That's almost too good to be true. I don't have a toon to test it with currently.

The other option is to take FvS to 12 for archon which charges it for sure. Probably drop Monk at that point and squeeze any points into Defender, or take 2 Monk for feats and shuriken proficiency. 12 FvS can raise, and can self-raise once Reborn is charged.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 12:22am
Print Post  
If you're going to be AFK, why not go radiant servant cleric for healing aura and divine crusader ED for the DPS aura?

You'd only have to switch over to restart healing aura every 2.5 mins.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
So I rolled up a 13 Arti/4 paladin/3 monk thrower version.  I decided on more arti levels instead of 14 paladin, as I needed the feats.  Plus, extended tenser's seems pretty important for this type of build.  I don't know if this is the best possible version, but it seemed to work out okay.  Managed to dual box thunderpeaks after a few attempts :p

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint