Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Abstract Art (Read 7975 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Abstract Art
Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
No intention currently to make this build, but in theory, a full artificer can reach 100% wand/staff/rod reuse.

The secret ingredient is the Artificer past life feat.

Student of Artifice: +15%
Full Artificer levels + On Destiny: +25%
Int 60 or above: Voila.

Splashes need at least 5 arti levels + enough Int to make up for the lost ~15.

All that's needed is a wand/staff/rod that would make it worthwhile. DDO does not have this, to my knowledge.

On second thought, cycling one, two, or three (depending on cool down) thunderforge dragonbreath staves might make this surprising.

Edit: Destinies only grant 5 class levels.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2014 at 11:45pm by Revaulting »  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Re: Abstract Art
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 4:37am
Print Post  
And there go 10 seconds of my life which I'll never get back.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 4:37am:
And there go 10 seconds of my life which I'll never get back.
I dunno, made me think about someway to make an Arti useful in epic levels.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Any clue if scepters are checked as rods? Also any confirmation that thunderforged staves are properly checked? I assume anything turdbined codes is not properly coded.

I admit you have caught my attention for something that probably doesn't work but might be fun...

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 12:42pm:
I dunno, made me think about someway to make an Arti useful in epic levels.

If it works, it could wind up supplementing a capped Arcanotechnician.

AngryKobold wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 5:09pm:
Any clue if scepters are checked as rods? Also any confirmation that thunderforged staves are properly checked? I assume anything turdbined codes is not properly coded.

I admit you have caught my attention for something that probably doesn't work but might be fun...

I'm waiting to check this stuff until I log on Lama. The idea is silly, and I have to admit I have a weakness for silly builds, but I'm not going to throw resources and time into this just to find out Turbine coded forge staves as non-staff, or that their charge retaining math is ... Turbine math.

Also need to check greensteel staves. Could get meteors, chain lightning, DBF, etc.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
gs q-staves do count, as the recommendation previously for the arti builds was displacement q-staves to try to retain charges.

dunno about thundercats weapons though.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:17am
Print Post  
hmms do green steel scepters exist? Never bothered to notice. I did try a crappy ddo store rod (stated as a rod, uses simple weapon prof. for club). And the rod did retain charges. I did not try it with arti past life, but when I get some time I can on my twink.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 8:38am
Print Post  
AngryKobold wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:17am:
hmms do green steel scepters exist? Never bothered to notice. I did try a crappy ddo store rod (stated as a rod, uses simple weapon prof. for club). And the rod did retain charges. I did not try it with arti past life, but when I get some time I can on my twink.

Yes, GS scepters exist. It'd be nice if Turbine coding just made everything that counts as a "club" also count as a "rod."

It would also be interesting if you can confirm my assumption that the Arti PL feat can only be taken once.

I noticed Wiki's description says "(Artificer Level)/2 + Int Modifier + Enhancement Modifier + Effect Modifier," whereas in-game, the feat tool-tip says, "(Artificer Level + Int Modifier)%."

If Wiki is right, then the whole thing needs 12 or 13 more Int to work, which brings it very firmly into why bother territory.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Maybe for flavor I suppose on a capped pure Arti with Arcano capstone.
Epic Winter's Wrath, Wand of Blasting, Staff of Arcane Power, Cacophonic Verge/Epic CV, Clickies that cast spells etc.

The casting time and CD on most this stuff is so flippin slow  could save some SP in a pinch and add flavor.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 8:38am:
I noticed Wiki's description says "(Artificer Level)/2 + Int Modifier + Enhancement Modifier + Effect Modifier," whereas in-game, the feat tool-tip says, "(Artificer Level + Int Modifier)%."

If Wiki is right, then the whole thing needs 12 or 13 more Int to work, which brings it very firmly into why bother territory.

i have a 20 Arti and can check.  That is where he stopped though.  That was painful discovering the uselessness in Epics.

Mokune wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:04pm:
Epic Winter's Wrath, Wand of Blasting, Staff of Arcane Power, Cacophonic Verge/Epic CV, Clickies that cast spells etc.

Using on this:
Quote:
Fire Storm: Red Dragon Breath (3 uses per rest): Like a red dragon, you can breathe a powerful cone of intense flames that deals 1d15 + 15 fire damage per caster level (Reflex save for half) to enemies within its area of effect. You can use this ability 5 times per rest. (Text says 5 times, charge bar says 3 / 3 Charges) caster level: 30

450+30-450 Every 2 seconds would be some significant smackdown.  Anyone know the cooldown?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:36pm:
i have a 20 Arti and can check.  That is where he stopped though.  That was painful discovering the uselessness in Epics.

The Harper tree changed things. Your pure arti still won't be a star in epics, but it can contribute. This retain essence idea is partly to find a way to be able to still use arcanotech.

Aeolwind wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 2:36pm:
450+30-450 Every 2 seconds would be some significant smackdown.  Anyone know the cooldown?

Looks like a six second cool-down. It also gave me a charge-retained message on a T-Forged club, so that's positive. The question I don't have an answer for is if two clubs would share the same cool-down.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
eross and bauble share a cooldown with the jump belt and the gh necklace... i anticipate staves share the global cooldown as well.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 8:37am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:49pm:
i anticipate staves share the global cooldown as well.

Wouldn't be so bad if you were AE'ing them, 18-24 seconds per group on normal would just need bigger trains.  Would suck in someplace like Inferno though.  And you could get by with 2 staves rather than many.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I am curious about the 1handers in case stuff like EWand of Blasting or EWinters Wrath or any of the other items with wand buffs could potentially boost the thundercat rods...

Trying to decide how bored I am to try this, I have the resources on gimps, just need to figure out how to get it all in one place to try.

I hate logging on llama land though, so maybe I should wait to let someone who enjoys llamaland to do it.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Cool idea.  Anyone know what the DC on the thunderforged clickies are with or without the capstone? 

I guess the viability of this build depends on how good the thunderforged clickies are.  With wand and scroll mastery, it could be decent... Arcanotech is seriously bad otherwise.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Also, with AT capstone treating clickies like staves... wouldn't it be possible to 100% retain a bauble or eRoSS...?

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #16 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:13pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:23pm:
Also, with AT capstone treating clickies like staves... wouldn't it be possible to 100% retain a bauble or eRoSS...?

Capstone =/= Retain Essence. Though I wouldn't rule it out, not until tested. Turbine coding the way they do, it might work  Grin

Sasha wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:13pm:
Pollock #8

Thanks for correcting my oversight.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2014 at 11:36pm by Revaulting »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 11:36pm:
Capstone =/= Retain Essence. Though I wouldn't rule it out, not until tested. Turbine coding the way they do, it might work  Grin

I know, the capstone says:You treat any non-scroll activated equipped item that casts spells (such as wands, rods, armor, or other activated items) as if they were staves

So based on the description... it SHOULD work I guess depending on whether it counts all clickies as "spells" or not.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2014 at 12:32am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 12:43am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 18th, 2014 at 12:30am:
I know, the capstone says:You treat any non-scroll activated equipped item that casts spells (such as wands, rods, armor, or other activated items) as if they were staves. 

So based on the description... it SHOULD work I guess depending on whether it counts all clickies as "spells" or not.

Interesting. I had taken the context to mean only in regards to the staff property of using toon-level for DC rather than item-level. If they meant it to also provide the benefits of retain essence ... well, that'd be one more bug to fix, lol. Because I don't recall ever retaining an essence on a non-wand/staff/rod (nor a club/scepter if that club/scepter is flagged in the coding as a rod/staff/wand).

My recollection could be wrong. I've never specifically tested for retaining essence on a non rod/staff/wand, other than recently, on a TF club.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 12:49am
Print Post  
So, unfortunately, I've been told that the TF clickies do share a cooldown.  Damage average was around 700 on a sorc.  If wand and scroll mastery is working, that'd be around 1225 with a 6 second cooldown.  It might be even higher on an arti with caster level increases.  Another nice thing, I didn't see any reflex save, so it looks like it'd be pretty strong versus evasion mobs.  That's pretty decent, but I don't think it's worth building around. 

It would definitely be a boon for a capped caster arti, but caster arti is just too much of a flavor build for my taste.  I don't see an xbow arti even bothering.  The weapon switch time and casting speed time is just too expensive. 

What I would appreciate if someone could test is if a bauble or RoSS can retain essence on an arti with arcanotech capstone.  I don't know anyone with a capped pure arti, and lammaland isn't up  Sad

If it did work, it would make arti casters finally viable and fun to play.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Both wand and scroll mastery and shiradi procs are working on clickies.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Asked around in chat, and retain essence does work on bauble/RoSS.  However, they were skeptical that you could get 100% retain lol.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Unfortunately, chat folks are right, it's impossible.  The description says (Artificer Level + Int Modifier)% which means you'd need a 60 intelligence modifier, or 130 intelligence.   Sad

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 1:31am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Dec 20th, 2014 at 1:12am:
Asked around in chat, and retain essence does work on bauble/RoSS.  However, they were skeptical that you could get 100% retain lol.

I'm still skeptical. I have never seen essence retained on a trinket. It's possible the bauble is coded differently, though. I don't have any ring clickies, so I can't speak to retaining essence from a ring, but it still would mean that rings have to be coded differently from other equipment. Not sure I'd be willing to make the investment based on the word of some guys who don't think 100% retain is possible. (Not unless they were saying they had personally reached over 100%, and yet still lost charges. Turbine math, I'd believe.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint