Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Artificer build? (Read 20538 times)
Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Artificer build?
Jan 29th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I'm not really sure exactly what to do with the artificer and am looking for a good build. Only gets tier 6 spells and rune arms don't seem that great

was thinking of going  10art/6fighter/4rogue  using the crossbow enhancements in BE/Ken/mech

Is this a good idea?

If no what is a better build? (does not have to be ranged can be castor or melee)

I have no past lives and no tomes currently

(ps please break it down to baby mode) 

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Re: Artificer build?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Well I knocked Arti out three times in a row on my main. The rune arm shit seems really crappy to me, the pew pew pew, is really fucking annoying as well. So I just grabbed a great axe, some scrolls of masters touch and raped the fucking game.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Artificer is an easy button in heroics. Epic ... not so much. Buff Int and take advantage of the Harper tree, or go Str and Juggernaut, you'll be fine. Evasion isn't needed anymore, so staying pure is even more viable than it used to be.

Just be advised that taking advantage of the dps gain from Rogue trees means sacrificing durability. It's entirely dependent on your PLs/play skill.

Rune arms are massive dps boosters. Do not underestimate them. That said, if you're not using repeaters, there are other alternatives.

The Arti spell book is strong in buff/utility. Dps isn't as weak as you'd think, but doesn't have the depth a pure caster needs.

Oh, and if you go non-robot, avoid Construct Essence, it's a trap.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
@ Odin212

You know it really does come down to playstyle, I hate that repeater shit, it just drives me nuts, I am a hack and slash guy.

To be fair on my experience with them, things like "not moving like a 3 toed sloth" with a rune arm and single weapon fighting didn't exist yet.

So why don't you hit us with the play style you are looking for and I am sure some uber build shall appear.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:09pm by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all

Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
well managing the rune arm is probably out cause its kind of annoying to deal with, currently i was using great crossbow as primary damage +fire bolts. In terms of player skill i am probably at the bottom so i would need something easy enough (and simple enough) for an unskilled player and strong enough to take into epic. As for play style i am honestly not quite sure.
I have 9 characters I have leveled to about 5~7 and I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
On second read, I noticed the request for baby-mode.

Make a robot. Stay pure arti. Make sure to take the adamantine body feat. Shoot repeating crossbows. Stay out of the middle of big clusters of mobs. Spell power is of secondary importance to ranged dps. When you have the choice, boost impulse spell power, repair, electric, in that order of importance. Choose flaming turret as soon as it is available. Laugh as it single-handedly wipes out the next few levels. Repeat the same experience with blade barrier.

Essential Feats (Not necessarily in this order): Point blank shot, Adamantine body, Rapid shot, Precise shot, Quicken, IC: Ranged, Imp. Precise shot.

Very good feats: Precision, Maximize, Empower, Quick draw.

YMMV Feats: Insightful reflexes (depends entirely on how many points you put into Int. vs. Dex.), Mental toughness, Toughness, Dodge, Skill focus: UMD (kind of old school), Spell focus: evocation (along with Gr. spell focus: evocation, these are also kind of old school.), Augment summoning (makes a huge difference early, then makes you regret the waste of a feat, later).

Quicken is imperative, Maximize and Empower can easily be fitted in, but aren't essential. Extend is basically useless; most arti spells don't benefit from it.

Enhancement trees are extremely straightforward. If you have access to Harper, treat it like an official Artificer tree. It's arguably better than what the Arti has. It also means you can max Int., and only put enough points into Dex. to qualify for Imp. Precise shot (and Combat archery, if you plan on playing epics). The rest you can play around with. IMO, Endless Fusillade is better than attack speed, but its effective time is shorter than listed, especially if you forget to reload first.

I hope I don't need to tell you Con is not a dump stat.

If you want to play epic content, you'll have to learn how to kite.

(Turn sound off. That's the special trick for being able to use repeaters.)

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:30pm:
well managing the rune arm is probably out cause its kind of annoying to deal with, currently i was using great crossbow as primary damage +fire bolts. In terms of player skill i am probably at the bottom so i would need something easy enough (and simple enough) for an unskilled player and strong enough to take into epic. As for play style i am honestly not quite sure.
I have 9 characters I have leveled to about 5~7 and I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for.

You can't take Arti into epic content with poor playing skills. Period.

Make a Paladin.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 9:28pm:
great axe, some scrolls of masters touch

not sure if serious

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Well artie was one of better splits for heroic plifes overall.
But if you specifcally need artie, then dunno, make a non splash since turret and later bb will help you to get rid of the class as fast as possible.
Bb comes a bit late, but just in time when you need it.
Turret is helpfull in necro 1 2 and somewhat 3. bb comes in necro 4, and those are one of best xp content in the game.
Pushing toward melle artie would be ok, but from my experience focus on turret and bb helps zergin more then a splash or melle focus.

Another great way to play artie is to turn sound off for ddo if you dont want to get crazy of the pew pew pew sound
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:46am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:10am:
not sure if serious

Wondering the same thing...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:10am:
not sure if serious

Of course, some people make all these uber builds, and have all these cool plans for their next life, and that is totally cool for them. Me I don't fuck with that shit, I just make the same damn build every fucking time. That way I can use the same fucking gear. I am actually done with that shit until they hit me with warlock and I have to re-unlock completionist, or until I get a hare up my ass and go for triple. I knocked out three arti real quick right when they came out so I could get that +3 umd.

I started as the classic UMD intimitank, then I was tank  build cleric, then the same build as wizard, then the same build as paladin, then the same build as ..., until I got tired of it, made a green steel great axe and proceeded to fucking rape the game from there, it isn't that hard with a modicum of skill and a halfway decent bunch of gear.

But to the OP as far as builds go, find one you like and have fun.

(On the masters touch scrolls, yeah i was serious that I thought I used them, but seeing it is on the spell list I am sure I just cast it, too many lives, lol.)
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:52am by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I am kind of embarrassed to ask but what is UMD and Imitank?

sorry.....

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 8:34am:

sorry.....

http://ddowiki.com/page/Use_magic_device

as for intimitank- that's an overly disgusting thing to discuss

IP Logged

Teh_Troll
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
What is an Artificer ?

IP Logged

Macpappy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I just wrapped up my last Arti life - for the record - I hate 2 lives of pew pew pew so I opted for a Melee build. I went 5 barb (just to try out the new tree), 7 Bard (Swashbuckler), 8 Arti. Actually ran great - little on the Barb and Bard trees you cant do with 5 lvls. 8 arti gave me the 3rd completion.

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
At that point why even use a runearm? 

wouldn't fighter be better than barbar?

IP Logged

Macpappy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Yes fighter would be better- especially if you want the stalward defender tree for Epic. I was just looking for a fun heroic build to knock out last Arti life plus I just wanted to try out Barb tree... already done fighter plus everything else. I had a lot of fun with cruel cut.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
It looks like he just rolled randomly for classes and levels.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 8:34am:

sorry.....

The classic UMD Intimitank is a now lost, and useless, build. You sacrificed absolutely everything to reach No fail on heal scrolls, and no fail on intimidate.

Intimidate back in the day was a way to lock mobs down. If you hit no fail, 80+ Intimidate, You could grab the agro of an entire room and keep it forever, as long as you hit the intimidate button every 6 fucking seconds!

You would build for Intimidate first, this would need a heavy investment in CHA at the time so maxing out UMD, and crafting shroud items to boost CHA based skills was a good idea.

You would then achieve DDO godmode by getting to 70+ AC and be immune to all monster attacks. Your DPS was about 1 though. At the end of that first life, I was able to break 90 intimidate and over 100 fully buffed AC, I was able to tank the demon queen, successfully, on epic when there was only one epic setting "soul crushing."

Fuck Off, That is all

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
what changed to make this build not viable anymore? Was it just intimidate or can the mobs not be tanked anymore?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Tanking changed. In some quests, it can still be a usable strategy, but in almost no quests is it a necessary strategy.

DPS changed. Any toon unable to contribute serious DPS is 1) boring as fuck, and 2) not making any difference except possibly to dungeon scaling.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 6:31pm:
what changed to make this build not viable anymore? Was it just intimidate or can the mobs not be tanked anymore?

There is no more magic "no-hit" AC number anymore.

Sacrificing damage for AC no longer makes sense.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
so i have heard that using Know the Angles, allows you to effectively double up your int for damage. I tried it on my repeating crossbow using artificer (who uses the harp tree for int to hit and damage). I really cant tell if it is actually working, there is no change on my weapon stats in the menu. I have a int mod of +8, so i should be getting 4 additional damage on each attack. Am i missing something?

Additionally while my artificer is supposed to be able to detect and disarm traps usually while i can detect the trap itself i can almost never find the control box, unless it is a low level quest. This is especially frustrating when questing with rogues who are a lower level than me and can locate control boxes i cant. i am currently level 8 (pure arti) with a search of 24 what am i doing wrong?

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2015 at 1:14pm by Odin212 »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
KtA doesn't show up on the weapon stats. If you really want to know if it's working, shoot at a training dummy and watch the damage floaties, or read the combat feed. Then hit KtA, shoot the dummy some more, and compare.

(It works.)

Odin212 wrote on Feb 12th, 2015 at 12:47pm:
i am currently level 8 (pure arti) with a search of 24 what am i doing wrong?

You're missing a + Search item?

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
was thinking about trolling around and trying caster arti for a while, just temp to try it. Seems like it could be fine for leveling, but before i do i was wondering about a couple things.

0.) Should i even bother? is it something i am going to regret wasting time on?  How bad is it?
1.) artificer and wands: seems like an arti and wands go together nicely? With retain essence seems like my wands could get way more uses than normal but is it enough to make it worth while?
2.) seems to me pure arti only gets one ED choice, and that Ed does not seem very good for a non castor arti

3.) 40 bonus universal spell power seems quite strong no?

4.) blast rod seems crazy strong whats up with that?

just some thoughts

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint