Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Artificer build? (Read 20507 times)
higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Re: Artificer build?
Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Arti + Bard (swashbuckler) + single weapon fighting felt like a good solid melee build.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #26 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:47pm:
0.) Should i even bother? is it something i am going to regret wasting time on?  How bad is it?

I guess it might be a reasonable alternative if you refuse to turn the sound off. Otherwise, no. Arti casting is for buffs/supplementing the repeater. Notice the daze effect on Static Shock? Lightning Sphere? The CC element to Grease? The knockdown from Tactical Detonation? Those are for keeping distance.

Arties get enough feats that you don't have to choose between metamagic and repeater feats. Quicken, Empower, Maximize. Heighten is questionable. Extend doesn't apply to most Arti spells. Evocation focus becomes the point at which you're sacrificing other choices, and frankly it's only useful for Blade Barrier*. (Not that Blade Barrier can't be a major feature of your game play.)

1.) artificer and wands: seems like an arti and wands go together nicely? With retain essence seems like my wands could get way more uses than normal but is it enough to make it worth while?

It's a nice bennie. But there just isn't any existing way to make offensive wands worthwhile. I dream of stupid builds all the time. Whippet Good, the Devo-themed wand whipper remains just another stupid build.

2.) seems to me pure arti only gets one ED choice, and that Ed does not seem very good for a non castor arti

Play more epic content. Use more EDs. You'll find that many of them compliment an Artie just fine. DC stands above the rest, of course. DC stands above the rest for just about anything.

3.) 40 bonus universal spell power seems quite strong no?

Better than not 40. But the decision doesn't come down to that, does it?

4.) blast rod seems crazy strong whats up with that?

Blast Rod is crazy strong. It's also a trap. Cool-down isn't quick enough to use it alone, and in epic content, the CC spells aren't effective enough to give you time for it to reload. There's also the little thing about it being a close-range spell....

*Edited:
Forgot to mention that rune arms benefit from Evocation Focus. I've played epic content on a pure arti with evoc. focus and without. It does make a noticeable difference. That difference is still not enough to sacrifice the feats you have to choose between.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:00pm by Revaulting »  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
was thinking about trolling around and trying caster arti for a while, just temp to try it. Seems like it could be fine for leveling, but before i do i was wondering about a couple things.

0.) Should i even bother? is it something i am going to regret wasting time on?  How bad is it?
1.) artificer and wands: seems like an arti and wands go together nicely? With retain essence seems like my wands could get way more uses than normal but is it enough to make it worth while?
2.) seems to me pure arti only gets one ED choice, and that Ed does not seem very good for a non castor arti

3.) 40 bonus universal spell power seems quite strong no?

4.) blast rod seems crazy strong whats up with that?

just some thoughts

Seems like it'd be okay for heroics, especially with pretty good SLAs.  In epics, it would just be a weak sorcerer.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:07pm:
Seems like it'd be okay for heroics, especially with pretty good SLAs.  In epics, it would just be a weak sorcerer.

I'm sure there's a decent way to mix arcanotechnician and air savant and spam electric SLA's all day.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
also it seem like arti does not get enough mana to cast as a main. according to wiki 30 wz gets 1205 mana while 20 arti gets only 845. Additionally a lot of the arti buffs don't really scale with level at all. The fact that they dont seems to make most multiclass arti useless because only the high tier stuff is worth while. (flame arrow, conjure bolt, enchant armor/weapon, resistance, lucky cape, elemental arrow none of this scales at all)

on a side note, does armor of speed actually work with repeating crossbow? I have been using it and i have not noticed much of an attack speed increase.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 2:32pm:
on a side note, does armor of speed actually work with repeating crossbow? I have been using it and i have not noticed much of an attack speed increase.

Doesn't stack with haste/speed/alacrity/etc. Also ranged only gets ~50% of stated speed increases.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:31am
Print Post  
conjure bolt

Conjure bolt scales up to +6 bolts.

It does what haste does, and lasts longer. Though the reflex & AC bonuses do stack. (At least they stack with Blinding Speed ... according to the character sheet.)

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I could see air and arti going together the issue would be if the split caused more damage loss than gain. As for the wands, i saw a post that was talking about arti possibly being able to get 100% essence retain. At the time no one had tested it to check if it actually worked, cant seem to find the thread at the moment. That plus arcane empowerment might allow wand spamming to fill the gap in between spells.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 1:55pm:
That plus arcane empowerment might allow wand spamming to fill the gap in between spells.

No, wands suck, unless you have a door to break.

You can't get the DC high enough, they don't do enough damage, and you'd be better off buying dozens than spending points to make them not lose charges.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #34 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
more damage loss than gain

This.

As for the wands, i saw a post that was talking about arti possibly being able to get 100% essence retain.

Yeah, that was my thread. Unless you know of a way to reach 100+ INT, it's a non-starter. And it wasn't about wands, not really. It was about dragonbreath Thunderforged scepters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint