Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic been away (Read 8516 times)
Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

been away
Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:07am
Print Post  
hi all, been away for a while, pally's were buffed while I was gone and I would like to try a S&B pally out, thinking something like 18/2 fighter to keep it simple and get back into things.

have many other epic toons, money, and leveling gear. just need a solid but simple build to get back into things.

not to worried about epics atm either.

thank you very much all  Smiley

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: been away
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:14am
Print Post  
actually just looked at Rubbinns swf pally, does that work okay and have there been any changes/improvements to it. and I don't recall there being any orbs till level 12.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:14am:
actually just looked at Rubbinns swf pally, does that work okay and have there been any changes/improvements to it. and I don't recall there being any orbs till level 12.

Rubbin's build is awesome in Epic content when you have some good orbs.
Be aware that shield mastery and improved shield mastery feats were nerfed to not work with orbs, so that probably weakens it in Heroic (there is a fix in Epic levels).
As a mostly caster player since returning 4 years ago, this was the first melee that interested me (resurrecting an old Pally tank from the good old days).  It has been great fun to play for me - a new way to experience the game.

There are some good S&B builds around for Heroic - take a look at the forums here and over at that other place.  I have not tried them yet, so can't recommend any particular one yet.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2015 at 9:49pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
gotcha thanks for the tips. I have been looking over a lot of different builds here and on the mother forums. looked at the tree (glad to see it made a comeback Tongue) and the swf wolfie (had the precursor build before swf came around)

the wolf and its variations look interesting and I sent Lelo apm asking some questions, of course I might just play a retard dps barb to get back into the game, don't know yet Happy

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Go pure pally. Primary in vanguard, secondary in defender. Take shield bash/mastery line and either bastard sword or dwarven axe proficiency.

If you decide to go for a DPS build instead, then go pure pally, primary in KotC and secondary in defender. Take the THF line feats.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:55pm:
Go pure pally. Primary in vanguard, secondary in defender. Take shield bash/mastery line and either bastard sword or dwarven axe proficiency.

If you decide to go for a DPS build instead, then go pure pally, primary in KotC and secondary in defender. Take the THF line feats.

was the pally buff that good?  Shocked

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:37pm:
was the pally buff that good? 

Oh my goodness yes.

I hadn't even read Vanguard before today, but oh my.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:29am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:55pm:
Be aware that shield mastery and improved shield mastery feats were nerfed to not work with orbs, so that probably weakens it in Heroic (there is a fix in Epic levels).

There were 2 nerfs lowering both the doublestrike and the damage from swf to 50% instead of 100.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:36am
Print Post  
well rolled one up. the plan is:

Human: 20 pally

Feats: human + 1-20
-Exotic Weapon B-sword
-Shield Mastery
-Improved Shield Mastery
-THF
-ITHF
-GTHF
-Empower Heal
-Quicken

I may try to fit in power attack and improved critical at epic level but it seems a lot of KotC damage comes from the light damage on hit and smites, but power attack and improved crit are just such staple damage feats.

is the loss of the capstone worth going 18-2 fighter to pick up the feats? and possibly haste boost and +action boost?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:36am:

-Exotic Weapon B-sword
-Shield Mastery
-Improved Shield Mastery
-THF
-ITHF
-GTHF
-Empower Heal
-Quicken

I may try to fit in power attack and improved critical at epic level but it seems a lot of KotC damage comes from the light damage on hit and smites, but power attack and improved crit are just such staple damage feats.

is the loss of the capstone worth going 18-2 fighter to pick up the feats? and possibly haste boost and +action boost?

Stay pure 20 as human.

Do not take thf feats with bastard sword.

Either 2 builds.

One is go thf with a two hander and dont take shield mastery feats.

Or play vanguard. Improved shield bashing and improved shield mastery. Improved Crit slash, Exotic weapon Bastard sword, Tower Shield, OC, empower heal, quicken, pthf( lets bastard sword glance weapon procs), ptwf.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 3:04am
Print Post  
hey thanks I was just reading over an older thread (the U24 pally one) and Munk actually brought up the same 18-2 vs 20 idea but no conclusion was ever made.

so thanks for the feat info I will change accordingly Smiley going vanguard btw as S&B pally is a personal favorite but was gimp as all hell back when I played.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:36am:

-Exotic Weapon B-sword
-Shield Mastery
-Improved Shield Mastery
-THF
-ITHF
-GTHF
-Empower Heal
-Quicken

I should have mentioned that THF and SM will not stack. You can take the feats but only one will be active depending on what you equipped most recently.

Stay pure, the capstone is pretty good and you won't need extra feats since you don't need THF.

1. Exotic Weapon
1h. Shield Mastery
3. Improved Shield bash
6. Power Attack
9. Improved Critical
12.Improved Shield mastery
15.Empower Healing
18.Quicken
21.Overwhelming Crit
24:Bulwark of Defense
26:Perfect Two Handed Fighting
27:Epic DR
28:Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

41 points in Vanguard
25ish in Defender
rest in racial and/or KotC

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Or go khop with Cleaves.
Khop is more useful for variety of builds or swf or if you ever gonna tr or god forbid twf, unlike Bastard.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2015 at 5:12am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:02am
Print Post  
update, thanks for all the advice guys, currently breezing through mid level elites (not any achievement though) and I must say I am staggered, that not only is S&B pally not gimp but its actually very good as well.

its also very nostalgic being back in ddo after going cold turkey a year ago. thanks everyone.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 5:12am:
Or go khop with Cleaves.
Khop is more useful for variety of builds or swf or if you ever gonna tr or god forbid twf, unlike Bastard.

Khopesh is only optimal on classes without otherwise enhanced criticals that don't lock in niche weapon choices. So they are only good for melee rangers and melee casters. Are you planning on doing several non-artificer non-barb non-bard non-druid non-fighter non-monk non-pally non-rogue lives?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:31am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 3:47am:
1. Exotic Weapon
1h. Shield Mastery
3. Improved Shield bash
6. Power Attack
9. Improved Critical
12.Improved Shield mastery
15.Empower Healing
18.Quicken
21.Overwhelming Crit
24:Bulwark of Defense
26:Perfect Two Handed Fighting
27:Epic DR
28:Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

I would take these feats except swap out bulwark for tower shield unless you have madstone aegis. And swap out epic dr for cleave. This way you have access to legendary dreadnought. If you wanted to go one step further replace quicken for great cleave and retain access to cleaves in divine crusader.

for heroics I would actually consider using kotc. 2 reasons stuns for chaotic or evil outsiders on vorpals no saves. and holy retribution. The last one is an insta kill aoe in heroics. so OP ;p
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:32am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
don't want to start a new thread, but I would like to try out the new bard swash and swf too, so this is what I am thinking:

Drow (enough dex for precision, the int and cha bonuses work as well as shortswords and the poison damage, make sure to shore up str and con, but go str based for atk and damage because of dm.

18 Bard, all the goodies
1 Rogue (or Arti if better. opinions?) trap skills
1 FvS (or Cleric if better, opinions?) DM for cha mod to str

not focused on all cc spells for cc but a high fascinate through perform and other bard skills, spells used for heals and self buffs. no damage or heighten meta's, but extend and empower heal are big ones for this build.

now for swf, with this build i am leaning towards buckler, but should i pick up the shield mastery feats? and does blur/displace, dodge, incorp count as an enemy "miss" as far as bard skills are concerned (the no save trip and take damage ones etc.)

thanks all.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
after some research rogue over arti, don't even get rune arm use till 2 so even if that was a good idea its out. and FvS over Cleric, saves, Cha based, spell points, just beter.

looks as follows:
Race: Dark elf
Stats: only required is to have a dex of 13 for precision at 3 or 6, leaning towards 6 so I can get the +1 tome bonus in and start lower base.

Feats:
1 Swf
3 Extend spell
6 Precision
9 ISwf
12 ICrit
15 Empower Healing
18 GSwf

probably take quicken at 21

skills are balance to qualify for Swf then don't care (7) UMD, spot, search, disable device, perform. (open lock if I have the points)

Progression
1- Rogue
2-9 Bard
10 FvS
11-20 Bard

as far as SWF two choices, just one weapon for the damage, or buckler for the dodge, figure it wont be hard to swap as needed but a lot of Bucklers make up for the dps loss of wielding it so I don't see why not.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2015 at 9:45pm by Lehane »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
It's hard to go wrong with swash, but I'm not a big fan of DM or trapping.

My preference for Swash is to take at least 3 levels of fighter for defensive stance, go max CHA, T5 in swash (CHA to damage, skirmisher), T4 in defender, T3 in WC (for frozen fury)

Of course going pure for the 10% empty hand dstrike and evasion is awesome too.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 1:35am
Print Post  
the reason for dm is because there are just so many ways to up Str compared to Cha, though I have been out of the loop so correct me if I am wrong, and even with Cha to damage we still have to worry about to hit, though not that big of a deal running precision.

I do plan on still going mostly Cha based though, because every 2 I put into Cha is 1 Str compared to 2 Str and no Cha. but bard alone has +8 to str in skaldic rage and the rage spell alone before anything else.

I am really not worried about evasion, I would have to focus really hard on reflex to make it work reliably (most monchers I recall would go for improved evasion then not give a shit because there only taking half all the time. and with MRR it is just a lot more reliable to get a decent number and reduce your damage taken all the time instead of only reflex save some of the time (the loloneshot still exists with evasion)

I really have considered dropping the 1 rogue and picking up 1 of something else, and fighter is a choice for all the freebies and feat. 1 dip options?

-Fighter = Feat, haste boost, etc.
-Wizard = Feat (meta) shied and mage armor sla, doublestrike, a kind-of-cleave, etc.
-Rogue = trap monkey and skill points.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2015 at 1:36am by Lehane »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:20am
Print Post  
"To hit" is a non-issue since MotU.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 2:29am:
There were 2 nerfs lowering both the doublestrike and the damage from swf to 50% instead of 100.

Yeah, but still good fun.
Takes 3 hits instead of 2 to bring down epic mobs.
Ah well.
Grin

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:20am:
"To hit" is a non-issue since MotU.

Caveat, so long as you have weapon proficiency to hit is a non issue since MotU.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
Caveat, so long as you have weapon proficiency to hit is a non issue since MotU.

Agreed.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:57am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:04am:
Khopesh is only optimal on classes without otherwise enhanced criticals that don't lock in niche weapon choices. So they are only good for melee rangers and melee casters. Are you planning on doing several non-artificer non-barb non-bard non-druid non-fighter non-monk non-pally non-rogue lives?

Do you think khop is worse single target damage than bastard with glancing blows ?
Or khop and Cleaves is worse aoe ?

I don't know. But sure it's more versatile weapon.

EDIT : Fwiw, and I am genuinely interested what is the better damage, did elite Cabal first dude( since it seems to be popular metric) beatdown few times ( on my khop vanguard ).
Average 35 seconds - he has 104 k hp.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2015 at 5:43am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint