Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic warchanter spinning ice (Read 13309 times)
Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Can you get the citation?

warchanter spinning ice
Feb 19th, 2015 at 9:48am
Print Post  
is spinning ice a tactical feat?

would like to know if this pdk is worth to be taken to raise the dc
"Cormyrean Knight Training: You now use Charisma or Strength, whichever is higher, for attack and damage with shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords. In addition, as long as your Charisma remains higher than your Strength and you are wielding one of the above weapons, you receive a bonus to the DCs of your Tactical Feats equal to 1/3 your Charisma modifier"

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: warchanter spinning ice
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
yes, in fact there is a pdk bard built around that idea

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446859-The-Icebreaker-A-Freezing-Warch...

I however didn't like it because if I want to worry about DC's I will play a caster. and it is actually very enhancement heavy (Warchanter, Kensai, Vanguard) the vanguard ability that boosts stunning (Brutality) also boosts your stun DC's on northwind and other stuns. (Stunning shield works well in this build as well)

good build, was not for me, wanted something slightly less intensive. but your experience may vary.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015 at 9:59am by Lehane »  

IP Logged

MadCookieQueen
Korthos Resident

I'm gonna sing the doom
song....

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:24am
Print Post  
The bonus form Know the Angles also applies to the DC...so if you can add in some INT into your build you'll get a few more DCs out of it.

Firestarter: 15 Bard/4 FvS/1 Fighter || War Dancer: 15 Bard/5 Ranger || Symphony of Metal: 15 Bard/3 Wizard/2 Fighter || Avatar of Eilistraee: 18 Bard/1 Cleric/1Fighter || Shadovar Infiltrator: 18 Wizard/1 Rogue/1 Fighter

IP Logged

Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
ty guys, gonna give a try

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I have a wolf bard with a high 70's freezing ice dc.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:35am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:14am:

Can he carry my sorry ass to 28?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 9:58am:
yes, in fact there is a pdk bard built around that idea

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446859-The-Icebreaker-A-Freezing-Warch...

PDK Bard 16/Fighter 3/Rogue 1 heavy armor is a better split than those for defensive stance, epic song, higher DCs, longer freeze time (advantages depending on which build is utilized).

rest wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:14am:

Frankly, a wolf sounds potentially better than any of the other builds mentioned. Is it a Bard/Ranger/Druid split? How is the range on the freeze cleave? Does charisma to damage get lost when in animal form, or is PDK not being used?
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:22pm by FM »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:35am:
Can he carry my sorry ass to 28?

lol i have other toons that could do it quicker probably. I can't even carry myself to 28. My cleric (former fvs) is 25 and hasnt moved in weeks. Been busy with other stuff.

I bet Dash could help you, she just got her bf sorc to 20.
FM wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:19pm:
Frankly, a wolf sounds potentially better than any of the other builds mentioned. Is it a Bard/Ranger/Druid split? How is the range on the freeze cleave? Does charisma to damage get lost when in animal form, or is PDK not being used?

Not sure how a bard ranger druid would work out. Need 9 druid for winter wolf, 6 ranger for twf feats. That only leaves 5 for bard, meaning your duration on your freeze attacks would be super short. Mine is 10 druid, 8 bard 2 fighter. I needed those fighter feats. The range is fine, the biggest issue is the short duration, because of the low bard levels. It is a SWF orb wolf. The saves are shit, but I haven't really geared him out much. PRR is ok, but could always be better. AFAIK, the cha to damage sticks around through wolf form, as does the 1/3 cha modifier to combat feats. He uses a MF bastard sword.

I need to get his cha higher and his int higher for know your angles. But as I said he wasn't a priority after I got him to cap.

IP Logged

Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
FM why 1 rogue?

i'm already thinkin to do a warchanter with heavy armor, but i wanna take 3 lvls of barb

(gonna use greatsword, so more potential on glancing blows and supreme cleave)

if i'll really do that, no room for 3 lvls of fighter

i'm still meditating on the best combo, when i'll do it, i'll post it, with a video and the record on a speed run i hope Smiley

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Orange Flash wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:20pm:
FM why 1 rogue?

i'm already thinkin to do a warchanter with heavy armor, but i wanna take 3 lvls of barb

(gonna use greatsword, so more potential on glancing blows and supreme cleave)

if i'll really do that, no room for 3 lvls of fighter

i'm still meditating on the best combo, when i'll do it, i'll post it, with a video and the record on a speed run i hope Smiley

1 Rogue is for traps/umd, and because moving that level to Bard doesn't really net anything. It would get a feat from Fighter, but I would rather be able to do traps, especially with the 30% bonuses.

3 Barb would work fine. I really deliberated over 3 Barb or 3 Fighter. In the end, I chose defense over offense and decided that I wanted extra PRR, MRR, and hp over an extra cleave and additional glancing blow damage. If we had 10 more AP to spend, 14 Bard/3 Barb/3 F would be the optimal build, imo.

I use a greatsword as well for the cleaving.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:53pm by FM »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 2:45pm:
I use a greatsword as well for the cleave range.

Tested this recently after a post with 5 foot. Cleave and great cleave have a weird radius of effect when standing just outside the range of the ship dummy. the radius on great cleave resembles a pack man with the mouth facing up. meaning it will hit everything around in an almost complete circle except for the dummy directly in front. to test this grab a greatsword and stand just out of great cleave range. turn your toon around and you will be hitting the dummy once you have turned to any direction except directly in front.

cleave and paladin cleaves and supreme cleave all have the same reach. just that cleave has less radius of effect. tested with greatswords, bastard swords, hand axe, rapiers, shortswords, maul, staff, falchion, light pick. Using a swf pally and a thf barb to make sure feats didnt extend reach. neither did toon size. one was drow other toon was shadar.

I didnt test to see if moving forwards or backwards would extend reach for two handers more than one handers. it probably wont but it will extend the reach of your blow slightly even if moving backwards compared to standing still.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:08pm:
Tested this recently after a post with 5 foot. Cleave and great cleave have a weird radius of effect when standing just outside the range of the ship dummy. the radius on great cleave resembles a pack man with the mouth facing up.

Very interesting. I thought I had noticed some strange freeze patterns when using spinning ice.

cleave and paladin cleaves and supreme cleave all have the same reach. just that cleave has less radius of effect. tested with greatswords, bastard swords, hand axe, rapiers, shortswords, maul, staff, falchion, light pick. Using a swf pally and a thf barb to make sure feats didnt extend reach.

So wait, did any weapons have a greater reach than others? Not sure what you mean.

As far as animation goes, the best range I saw was on a bastard sword (surprisingly, better than the two handed weapons), although I didn't test against actual enemies or the dummy.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 2:09am
Print Post  
cleave and paladin cleaves and supreme cleave all have the same reach. just that cleave has less radius of effect. tested with greatswords, bastard swords, hand axe, rapiers, shortswords, maul, staff, falchion, light pick. Using a swf pally and a thf barb to make sure feats didnt extend reach. neither did toon size. one was drow other toon was shadar.

Thanks. That's good info. It kinda backs up my feeling that the Sun Blade only looked like it extended reach over a short sword. Of course, you were talking exclusively about cleaves, and not normal swings.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:58am
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 1:06am:
So wait, did any weapons have a greater reach than others? Not sure what you mean.

As far as animation goes, the best range I saw was on a bastard sword (surprisingly, better than the two handed weapons), although I didn't test against actual enemies or the dummy.

I'm pretty sure all one handers have same reach.
That being said, I personally found fighting with (visually) short weapons very annoying, since predicting when the cleave (or a special attack) will land and when not was a pain, guess you get used to it after a while.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:56am
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 1:06am:

yes. all weapons i listed in post were tested and have same reach with cleaves. i did test normal swings and it was also same reach.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

MadCookieQueen
Korthos Resident

I'm gonna sing the doom
song....

Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:05am
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:19pm:
PDK Bard 16/Fighter 3/Rogue 1 heavy armor is a better split than those for defensive stance, epic song, higher DCs, longer freeze time (advantages depending on which build is utilized).

Just to note...Heavy Armor.

35% ASF, you can only get this down to 0 with Elf/Drow Arcane Fluidity, -15% ASF augment and Core 2 of Eldritch Knight.

Otherwise the best you'll do is 20% (Only the Augment will apply since you don't have ASF as a PDK and assuming Flawless ShadowScale)...which has a tendency to hit right when you need your Cure Critical to go off.

Yes, you can Rejuv Cocoon but...
I never recommend Rejuv Cocoon as your Cure Critical is better burst healing and the temp points isn't going to survive a Champion strike. But if you have to have it...

That all said...if you want THF, Freeze Spec, Heavy Armor...check my sig for Symphony of Metal, it might give you some ideas to further your own.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:08am by MadCookieQueen »  

Firestarter: 15 Bard/4 FvS/1 Fighter || War Dancer: 15 Bard/5 Ranger || Symphony of Metal: 15 Bard/3 Wizard/2 Fighter || Avatar of Eilistraee: 18 Bard/1 Cleric/1Fighter || Shadovar Infiltrator: 18 Wizard/1 Rogue/1 Fighter

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:11am
Print Post  
MadCookieQueen wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:05am:
Just to note...Heavy Armor.

35% ASF, you can only get this down to 0 with Elf/Drow Arcane Fluidity, -15% ASF augment and Core 2 of Eldritch Knight.

Otherwise the best you'll do is 20% (Only the Augment will apply since you don't have ASF as a PDK and assuming Flawless ShadowScale)...which has a tendency to hit right when you need your Cure Critical to go off.

Yes, you can Rejuv Cocoon but...
I never recommend Rejuv Cocoon as your Cure Critical is better burst healing and the temp points isn't going to survive a Champion strike. But if you have to have it...

That all said...if you want THF, Freeze Spec, Heavy Armor...check my sig for Symphony of Metal, it might give you some ideas to further your own.

Yes, rolling with 20% ASF. I play in Divine Crusader, so I'm relying on Consecration and Cocoon for healing. Only spells that really get cast are displacement and haste, so it doesn't matter if once in a while they need to get cast twice.

Rubbinns wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:56am:
yes. all weapons i listed in post were tested and have same reach with cleaves. i did test normal swings and it was also same reach.

Good to know. Am tempted to go swash short sword now, but not sure I like the idea of wearing light armor. Really a decision of whether to use swf bastard sword or thf greatsword. If only I had math ability.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:14am by FM »  

IP Logged

SayWhatAgain
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:36am
Print Post  
A pretty sweet looking build, check out post 51 of this thread here:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455942-***-multi-server-speed-runs-tra...

The guy posted a detailed build with SS as well as a video of a speed run. If you check further in the thread he has a bunch of records done on that build. Though he is pdk he is using hand axe for better dps, using a short sword wouldn't help dc's in any case because he's a str build.

I'd probably go 4 fighter/1 barb/15 bard though. More durable and two more feats.
It looks like barb fast movement stacks with swash bonus speed so there is some merit to taking 1 level barb.

IP Logged

Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
SayWhatAgain wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:36am:
A pretty sweet looking build, check out post 51 of this thread here:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455942-***-multi-server-speed-runs-tra...

The guy posted a detailed build with SS as well as a video of a speed run. If you check further in the thread he has a bunch of records done on that build. Though he is pdk he is using hand axe for better dps, using a short sword wouldn't help dc's in any case because he's a str build.

I'd probably go 4 fighter/1 barb/15 bard though. More durable and two more feats.
It looks like barb fast movement stacks with swash bonus speed so there is some merit to taking 1 level barb.

also tought about that, 15 4 1 for barb speed and +6 str and +6 con from stalwart

but still i can't find peace to decide which is the strongest and which is the funniest Cheesy

could also take 14 3 3 for slaughter, and play in fury (+10W with adrenaline, yummy Smiley )

but in that case, rage and stalwart stance will be a problem... do you know if bard rage spell, triggers all the effect from enanchements and ed that say "+X while raged"?

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:29am
Print Post  
SayWhatAgain wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:36am:

that would also give you the possibility of the move speed buff from stalwart stance if it all stacks

move speed
-30 enhance
-10 stalwart
-10 barbarian
-15 bard levels
-15 action boost from bard

80% move speed constantly without action boosts if it all stacks, beats pure monks by 20%. though it will make playing normal or new characters feel like your standing still.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:30am by Lehane »  

IP Logged

Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:29am:
that would also give you the possibility of the move speed buff from stalwart stance if it all stacks

move speed
-30 enhance
-10 stalwart
-10 barbarian
-15 bard levels
-15 action boost from bard

80% move speed constantly without action boosts if it all stacks, beats pure monks by 20%. though it will make playing normal or new characters feel like your standing still.

lol that would be a fkin rocket!!

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I plan on rolling a pdk when the servers are back up and trying it, at 15 should only be missing the 5% from remaining bard levels.

IP Logged

Orange Flash
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
can't w8 to get 28 with my toon to ITR him!!

IP Logged

MadCookieQueen
Korthos Resident

I'm gonna sing the doom
song....

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:11am:
Yes, rolling with 20% ASF. I play in Divine Crusader, so I'm relying on Consecration and Cocoon for healing. Only spells that really get cast are displacement and haste, so it doesn't matter if once in a while they need to get cast twice.

So you have like 4000%* healing amp and mad twitch skills? That's the only way I can see being able to keep the healing going when 6 champions have you targeted.

Consecration doesn't work if you can't stand still. Also the proc of Rejuv Cocoon takes a second...I rarely have that much time to wait and 150 temp HP doesn't do anything if the monsters are hitting you for 200+

I'm just really curious what your "oh shit button" burst healing button is (though I suspect it's silver flame pots...a way to get around spell casting but they have their drawbacks), because the timing of consecration and rejuv cocoon might help you in a longer haul (boss beating when someone else has the aggro) but I can't see it being more effective as a burst heal solution for running EE content.

Please keep this limited to playing a Bard, I seriously don't care how this applies to other classes. And yes, even with a good CC toon, swarms and spell resistances still happen, so it's always an issue to have burst healing.

*hyperbole number and only used to call out that it would take significant HA for effectiveness

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
MadCookieQueen wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:08pm:
Please keep this limited to playing a Bard, I seriously don't care how this applies to other classes. And yes, even with a good CC toon, swarms and spell resistances still happen, so it's always an issue to have burst healing.

depends on bard build. swashbuklers with stalwart stance can get by without sf pot penalties. Or on dwarf con the sf pots arent crippling, but even that build I didnt bother using them. Cocoon and consecrated ground with on kill heals from DC is enough to melee. If ccw/csw has to be cast then I'm already running for better position and applying buff/scroll/pot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint