Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic warchanter spinning ice (Read 13307 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: warchanter spinning ice
Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:08pm:
Tested this recently after a post with 5 foot. Cleave and great cleave have a weird radius of effect when standing just outside the range of the ship dummy. the radius on great cleave resembles a pack man with the mouth facing up. meaning it will hit everything around in an almost complete circle except for the dummy directly in front. to test this grab a greatsword and stand just out of great cleave range. turn your toon around and you will be hitting the dummy once you have turned to any direction except directly in front.

cleave and paladin cleaves and supreme cleave all have the same reach. just that cleave has less radius of effect. tested with greatswords, bastard swords, hand axe, rapiers, shortswords, maul, staff, falchion, light pick. Using a swf pally and a thf barb to make sure feats didnt extend reach. neither did toon size. one was drow other toon was shadar.

I didnt test to see if moving forwards or backwards would extend reach for two handers more than one handers. it probably wont but it will extend the reach of your blow slightly even if moving backwards compared to standing still.

Like so? (but rotated 180 degrees)

Somebody tested all of this really thoroughly back in the day. Pretty sure it was Backley. It was all on the shithole forums WAY back in the day, but was probably lost with the forum downgrade migration.

The gist: (IIRC)

Reach is all about animation, nothing else has any effect. The specific weapon in hand doesn't matter, but the type does...except for specials that use the same animation between figthing styles (like cleaves). So reach for normal attack animations looks like this:

1. Unarmed (counterintuitively)
2. Great Axe/Maul
3. Staff
4. Great Sword/Falchion/Great Club (w/ Slightly wider than standard arc compared to axe/maul)
5. SWF/S&B/TWF
6. Unarmed uncentered or non-monk
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:31am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:32am
Print Post  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:33am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:24am:
1. Unarmed (counterintuitively)
2. Great Axe/Maul
3. Staff
4. Great Sword/Falchion/Great Club (w/ Slightly wider than standard arc compared to axe/maul)
5. SWF/S&B/TWF
6. Unarmed uncentered or non-monk

interesting. from my limited testing every weapon seemed to have same reach

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:33am:
interesting. from my limited testing every weapon seemed to have same reach

This is true for cleaves (and probably every other special attack that uses the same animation regardless of figthing style.)

My list was for normal attack animations.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:49am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:39am:
This is true for cleaves (and probably every other special attack that uses the same animation regardless of figthing style.)

My list was for normal attack animations.

using orb paladin.

found something odd.

I can hit dummy on only the 4th swing of a greensteel staff(update tested sireth too) but can hit on all 4 with bastard sword and orb.

or a warhammer and orb i can hit on all 4. without orb hammer misses all but 3rd. Same with bastard sword without orb. same with celestia.

2wf with any of the above 3 weapons misses all 4 attacks.

cleaver great axe hits on all 4.

greatsword and falchion miss all 4.

moved back further one step. great axe hits on 2 and 4 only at max length. Where swf misses all 4 from there. all adds up to Item's numbers. I didnt bother testing between 3 great axe ranges as the shortest and longest reaches of it cover all max ranges.

SWF orb and sword board(tested large shield) has same range as shortest range of great axe.

centered kensei would be nice to test wraps, centered weapons. swashbucklers with rune arms could also be different.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:06am by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:40am
Print Post  
FM wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:11am:
Good to know. Am tempted to go swash short sword now, but not sure I like the idea of wearing light armor. Really a decision of whether to use swf bastard sword or thf greatsword. If only I had math ability.

Sorry, my mistake. On normal swings I did some tests today after reading Item's thread.

There are ranges in post above.

For cleave and great cleave reach is same for any of the weapons or fighting styles (except wraps or centered users couldnt test). Same with exalted smite only there is a delayed trigger so it looks cooler because it comes well after the swing. like an anime samurai swing ;p

Anyhow the reach for cleaves is so much greater than normal attack animations. Not sure how much exactly but feels like double at least.

above pic is 2wf normal swings.

great cleave 2wf
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:54am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:13am
Print Post  
There was another thread back in the day that tested that type of shit even more in depth...I can't find it though.   Undecided

Dude was doing crazy amount of video capture for it. I don't think it was Backley though.

Anyway, I expect centered kensai to be the same as above. Centered unarmed cleaves may be different because of the animation.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint