Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How good is 14 paladin 6 ranger ? (Read 9025 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

How good is 14 paladin 6 ranger ?
Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Anyone playing something like this now? What weapons and feats are you taking?

I have not played a 2wf build in forever. Wanted to try out tempest tier 4 and 5. Carry a bow too. Will do iconic bforge. I know human is better and frees up AP from racial by using class spells, cocoon and loh.

free feats:
Bow Str
Rapid Shot
Precise Shot
Manyshot
THF
ITHF

7 heroic feats:
Precision
PA
Cleave
Imp Crit Slash
Kopesh
Adamantine Body
GTWF

epic feats:
OC
Imp Crit Ranged
whatever

If Human that frees up 2 feats allowing the build to go 15 5, a better split for the extra spell Zeal. But I'm lazy and will be doing iconic.

The build has a lot of different functions depending on AP allocation. Standard being some kotc, stalwart, and tier 5 tempest. That is probably what I end up with for general quests. There is an option to go AA for slayer arrows and maybe furyshot, although that is a very niche application for ADQ or kiting Fire Peaks.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

MadCookieQueen
Korthos Resident

I'm gonna sing the doom
song....

Re: How good is 14 paladin 6 ranger ?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I play a DoD Pally...5 ranger / 15 Paladin...I tried for archery options but they were horrible when play tested.

By not going 15 Pally you lose Holy Sword and Zeal...so your DPS will drop.

Doing range without being in Fury is horrible damage and really not worth it (IMO based on well...actually testing it). You can do significantly more damage in a few seconds of weapon swinging than in a burst Manyshot and you'll save yourself a couple feats.

Calculated Manyshot DPS with full stacks blitz and holy sword/zeal: ~1,300 dps

I can post more details on what I'm running around with if you'd like.

Firestarter: 15 Bard/4 FvS/1 Fighter || War Dancer: 15 Bard/5 Ranger || Symphony of Metal: 15 Bard/3 Wizard/2 Fighter || Avatar of Eilistraee: 18 Bard/1 Cleric/1Fighter || Shadovar Infiltrator: 18 Wizard/1 Rogue/1 Fighter

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I would ditch PA and Cleave for ips and ic Piercing.
Fury sucks donkey balls.
Dance of Death and MS with ips charges 10 stack Blitz in seconds.
Spec for Slayer for Mod, you don't need aoe damage there.

Otherwise you can call it "the better ranger" ?

EDIT : Range might suck without ips, with ips and Pulverizer ( hello 15 - 20 crits Pinion  ) AND 70 or more permanent ranged power it's good.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:25pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
MadCookieQueen wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:17pm:
Paladin
lies! there cannot be any bard levels.

Zeal

Yeah I figured, but I'm bored and want to pike quests getting primal etrs while stealing kills, so manyshot looked appealing. My alt needs the 2nd pally life anyway and tired of thf/swf on everything, all the time. Will be running around in Fury during leveling and bored of LD/DC.

Calculated Manyshot DPS with full stacks blitz and holy sword/zeal: ~1,300 dps

Have you tried it with fury/slayer? Thinking I can do decent dps bursts with holy sword and imp crit.

I can post more details on what I'm running around with if you'd like.

yes please

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:22pm:
I would ditch PA and Cleave for ips

good call.

ic Piercing.

for?

Fury sucks donkey balls.

ik! saw your gh times ;p

cant wait to pike. will have balanced attacks and overwhelming force for max ccing then kiting adrenaline champ to party antics.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:34pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

MadCookieQueen
Korthos Resident

I'm gonna sing the doom
song....

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:27pm:
lies! there cannot be any bard levels.

I do actually play other classes than Bard Wink

Yeah I figured, but I'm bored and want to pike quests getting primal etrs while stealing kills, so manyshot looked appealing. My alt needs the 2nd pally life anyway and tired of thf/swf on everything, all the time. Will be running around in Fury during leveling and bored of LD/DC.

Have you tried it with fury/slayer? Thinking I can do decent dps bursts with holy sword and imp crit.

As a note...Rage effects of Fury/Adrenaline do not work with Defender stance and that is considered WAI.

I couldn't make that trade off as to me I'd rather have the defense bonuses than 20 seconds of burst and then done.

That's just my style and what I find effective, ymmv

yes please

Short version:

Human 15 Pally / 5 Ranger (Ranger 1 - 5, Pally 6 - 20)

Str: 54/69-- (16 base + 5 tome +7 levels +1 GoTIB +6 SD Stance +1 enh (Tempest) +8 Item +2 Profane +2 ship +2 rams +1 ED +2 completetionist / + 16 Divine Might)
Dex: 36 -- (15 base + 5 tome + 11 item +4 insight +1 GoTIB +2 insight +2 profane +2 ship +2 completetionist)
Con: 44 -- (15 base +6 tome +11 item +4 insight +1 GoTIB +2 profane +2 Ship +2 completetionist)
Int: 19 -- (8 base +4 tome +1 GoTIB +2 profane +2 ship +2 completetionist)
Wis: 30 -- (8 base +5 tome +8 item +1 GoTIB +2 profane +2 insight +2 ship +2 completetionist)
Cha: 42 -- (16 base +6 tome +8 item +2 insight +1 GoTIB +2 profane +1 enh (SD) +2 ship +2 yugo +2 completetionist)

Feats: Passive Past Lives, All but Monk, Ranger, Pally all at x3
ETR active stances (I have more but only for epic completetionist and a few more points of PRR): Doublestrike x3, Brace x3, Colors x3, Weapon x3

Base: Power Attack (1), Exotic Khopeshes (1), Completionist (if not an option, Cleave is fine) (3), Quicken (6), ITWF (9), Improved Critical: Slash (12), GTWF (15), IC: Bludgeon (for swapping to warhammers for undead beating in orchard/thunderholme) (18), Overwhelming Critical (21), Maximize (24), Epic Toughness (27),
Destiny: Toughness (26), Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting (28)
Ranger: FE: Undead (1), FE: Human (5)

Enhancements:

Ranger: Tempest (36 ap)
C: Shield of Whirling Steel (1), Tempest (1)
I: Whirling Blades (2), Improved Reaction III (3)
II: Haste Boost III (6), Whirling Blades (2), Improved Parry III (6)
III: Whirling Blades (2), Str (2)
IV: The Growing Storm III (3), Whirling Blades (2)
V: Dance of Death III (3)

Paladin: Knight of the Chalice (16 ap):
C: Slayer of Evil (1), Courage of Heaven (1),
I: Extra Turning III (3), Exalted Smite I (1)
II: Divine Might II (4), Exalted Cleave III (3)
III: Vigor of Life (2), Divine Sacrifice I (1)

Paladin: Sacred Defender (25 ap):
C: Holy Bastion (1), Sacred Defense (1), Divine Righteousness (1), Redemption (1)
I: Improved Sacred Defense: PRR III (3), Sacred Armor Mastery III (3), Extra Lay on Hands I (1)
II: Improved Sacred Defense: Threat III (3),
III: Improved Sacred Defense: Saves III (3), Tenacious Defense III (3), Cha I (2)
IV: Swift Defense (1), Greater Sacred Defense: Str III (3)

Human (3 ap):
C: HV: Damage Boost (1)
I: Improved Recovery (2)

Epic Destiny –Legendary Dreadnought
I: Extra Action Boost III (3), Str (2)
II: Momentum Swing III (3), Improved Power Attack (2), Action Boost: Damage III (3)
III: Lay Waste (1)
IV: Anvil of Thunder (2)
V: Devasting Critical (2), Advancing blows (2)
VI: Masters Blitz (2), Pulverizer (2)

Twists: Sacred Ground (3), Balanced Attacks (3), Consecration (2), Brace for Impact (1)

Or

Epic Destiny –Divine Crusader
I: Bane of Undeath (2), Purge the Wicked (1), Str (2)
II: Consecration III (3), Smite the Wicked (2)
III: Sacred ground (2)
IV: Crusade (2), No regret (2)
V: Heavenly Presence (2), Celestial Champion (2), Castigation (2)
VI: Strike Down (2)

Twists: Grim Percision (3), Balanced Attacks (3), Momentum Swing (2), Brace for Impact (1)

Hopefully that gives you some ideas.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:45pm by MadCookieQueen »  

Firestarter: 15 Bard/4 FvS/1 Fighter || War Dancer: 15 Bard/5 Ranger || Symphony of Metal: 15 Bard/3 Wizard/2 Fighter || Avatar of Eilistraee: 18 Bard/1 Cleric/1Fighter || Shadovar Infiltrator: 18 Wizard/1 Rogue/1 Fighter

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:33pm:
for?

Celestias, with Precision and more offhand it's uber against Deathknights.
If I am not busy dying on pally that I play once per month, I tanked Deathknights on Vanguard 10 or 15 times  and those Blitzing guys with Celestias do ridiculous amount of damage.

Rubbinns wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:33pm:
ik! saw your gh times ;p

Ha, touche ! Before prr changes and mod gear. And stupidest toon ever.
The game is stupid easy now with 200+ prr.

Blitz charges on kill was not really twf ( and weak aoe and lots of small numbers ) friendly but now it's not an issue.

Too bad noone needs Adrenaline now when every moron can slap heavy armour on and Cleave 15 mobs at once.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 1:24pm:
Too bad noone needs Adrenaline now when every moron can slap heavy armour on and Cleave 15 mobs at once.

And that's the biggest reason Fury is shitty for melee these days.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
If you have to do Iconic, I think I'd still prefer PDK 14/5/1 over Bladeforged 14/6.

Rangers level 6 core abilities are pretty shitty for tempest and for AA, no big loss there.

The idea of having to blow a feat on addy body pisses me off, as does the large ap investment for racial damage boost.

free feats:
Bow Str
Rapid Shot
Precise Shot
TWF

7 heroic feats:
1f: Precison
1H: Kopesh
1: Point Blank Shot
3: Stunning Blow
6: Imp TWF
9: Improved Crit Slash
12: GTWF
15: Manyshot
18: IC Ranged

epic feats:
21 OC
24 Empower Heal
27 whatever

Since we can fit in ITWF and Manyshot regardless, I'd rather have racial damage boost, and kensais hasteboost.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Nice build monk, thx. I may do that and could also use the pdk past lives. No one on my server runs ee wyrm or abbot and I wont be taking imp crit bludgeon and pierce. There arent any kopesh that I like in heroic or epic. May use bastard swords like twinblade, first blood, nightmare.

Question, is imp crit pierce over kopesh for heavy picks better. Heroic Deathnips for leveling and citw weapons for epic leveling. TF heavy pick in DC is 15-20x5, kopesh is 13-20x4. In LD 17-20x5 for picks and 15-20x4 kopesh.

Probably wont end up taking stunning blow either. I do like that it gets haste boost for grim precision twist slot.

IP Logged

Teh_Troll
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
14 paladin (Holy Sword) 5 ranger (slayer arrow) 1 monk (10k stars), you are welcome.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2015 at 7:41pm by »  

IP Logged

Kaezin
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
14 paladin (Holy Sword) 5 ranger (slayer arrow) 1 monk (10k stars), you are welcome.

Doesn't 10k stars require monk 6?

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I went Horc  15 pally 5 acro. running with Dreadnaught, and twisted in sense weakness so I have Horc +20%, Acro +30%, Sense +30% against helpless targets and spam Lay waste, trip. Works with or without staff although  it does a excellent with Sireth,

At level 20-22 run epic SoS or you can use the Oak walking stick, a nteresting side effect of running holy sword on the Oak stick is that it's impact property doesn't kick in until after the holy sword so without blunt Improved crit feat you still have a 17-20 X4 profile, before any special attacks.  Downside is that the staff wears down pretty quickly, so when running them I packed two.

Also, when you do run a staff you can pop off Quick strike with Zeal and get +35% double strike with just those two.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:16pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Kaezin wrote on Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:04pm:
Doesn't 10k stars require monk 6?

If you want to bother taking 10k stars, yes, it would require 6monk.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:14pm:
I went Horc  15 pally 5 acro. running with Dreadnaught, and twisted in sense weakness so I have Horc +20%, Acro +30%, Sense +30% against helpless targets and spam Lay waste, trip. Works with or without staff although  it does a excellent with Sireth,

At level 20-22 run epic SoS or you can use the Oak walking stick, a nteresting side effect of running holy sword on the Oak stick is that it's impact property doesn't kick in until after the holy sword so without blunt Improved crit feat you still have a 17-20 X4 profile, before any special attacks.  Downside is that the staff wears down pretty quickly, so when running them I packed two.

Also, when you do run a staff you can pop off Quick strike with Zeal and get +35% double strike with just those two.

I tried several staff versions as palie.
15 palie 4 rogue 1 monk wout harmor, 14 palie 2 rogue 4 ranger with harmor /focused on killer to make up for zeal and was overall ok and a 15 palie 3 rogue 2 monk.
All i can say, its really fun at 20-26.
When you reach 26 its horrible, at 28 its ultra bad.
Only weapon you can use is a staff and th staffs are horrible with crit range and base damage.

But its a ok fun leveling thing to do, aka focus on staffs.
But nothing for power endzerggame.
We would need some staff with highest base damage and crit range to have staffs get a comeback.
Anyway you could work on proposing that munk?

(staff builds are extremely fun to play, would be sad to see em vanish from endgame scene)

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 6:27am
Print Post  
It's pretty stupid to take all those ranged feats then not take ips ( which is double - ten fold increase in damage ) imo.

Drow khops are okay if you have Devo on a helm for example.
Looks cool, increased threat until TF.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 6:27am:
It's pretty stupid to take all those ranged feats then not take ips ( which is double - ten fold increase in damage ) imo.

kind of, yeah. Taking 2 more ranged feats did not seem as optimal for 20 seconds out of every 120 seconds. I needed to take manyshot with munk's build and it comes with the bladeforged version for free. PBS and IPS can still be crammed into it anyway. Swap out stunning blow and sacrifice epic feat #3.

Possible that pa and cleave for LD cleaves would be better for every 5 seconds out of 15 that dance is on cooldown. Radius and range is stupid big to not consider the cleaves. In comparison to manyshot cleaves are active for 40 seconds every 120( dance is active the other 80). And doesn't require lining up enemies.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:32am:
But its a ok fun leveling thing to do, aka focus on staffs.
But nothing for power endzerggame.
We would need some staff with highest base damage and crit range to have staffs get a comeback.
Anyway you could work on proposing that munk?

Quoted here and there.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Going to tr alt sometime tonight. Just got my 150 k and coin favor done \o/
fuk tr cache right in the pussy.

Level 28 Lawful Good Purple Dragon Knight Male
(1 Fighter / 14 Paladin / 5 Ranger / 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 460
Spell Points: 416

BAB: 20/20/25/30/30
Fortitude: 26
Reflex: 18
Will: 12

Starting    Feat/Enhancement
Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats
(36 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 28)
Strength           16                28
Dexterity          14                19
Constitution       16                21
Intelligence        8                13
Wisdom              8                13
Charisma           16                21

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Rogue
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
Feat: (Human Bonus) Power Attack

Level 2 (Paladin)
Feat: (Deity) Favored by Amaunator

Level 3 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (PPaladin)
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 16 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 19 (Ranger)

Level 20 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Dragon

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Manyshot

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Elusive Target

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint