Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Right-Mouse messed up when running under VMPlayer (Read 4450 times)
GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Right-Mouse messed up when running under VMPlayer
Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I am trying to run DDO in a VMWare Player virtual machine (windows 7 pro x64) and it seems to be up and running fine except that when I right-click with the mouse, instead of letting me control the camera as normal, it rotates through max up to max down positions of the camera as I move the mouse (while holding R-Mouse button).  Anyone have an idea how to resolve this?

Thanks!

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: Right-Mouse messed up when running under VMPlayer
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Have you checked your key mapping defaults in DDO?
Maybe something funky going on there?

IP Logged

GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 10:57am
Print Post  
yes, it is a fresh install and is completely vanilla standard/default.  I did double-check and keyboard layout is normal.  I even tried changing from default to FPS and classic with no change in behavior.    Sad

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:10am
Print Post  
My thought would be to check Windows/ VMWare mouse settings. Might be something there that makes it act funny.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I apologize if this seems like thread-jacking, but I am very curious.

I have never successfully made video games work inside of VMs. I always get apocalyptic lag and an FPS rate that can more accurately be described as Frames Per Hour.

What's your secret?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I have not done it that much but never had particular problems with performance.  Performance is never as good as running on the desktop but shrugs...  Then again, I run on a very beefy laptop setup, so performance is rarely an issue for most any program.    Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Maybe Its just me, then Tongue I've been trying to run VMs in windowed-mode(for a cheap way to play any game in a window, you see...). I also have typically tried Oracle's Virtual Box, which isn't that great.

Then again, I also have an extraordinarily beefy system of my own... robust, even Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
The way to resolve it is to change the mouse settings so that the mouse device is dedicated to the VM when the VM is active.  There's a setting for that somewhere, just look around. 

By the way, I suggest running windows 8 (or windows 10 preview) as a VM.  For some reason and I'm not exactly sure why, windows 8 VM is much more performant than windows 7.  My guess is that it's related to all the virtualization improvements for server 2012.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:13pm:
Then again, I also have an extraordinarily beefy system of my own... robust, even Tongue

Now you're just showing off....   Grin

Are you assigning the VM enough resources?
DDO mostly needs memory.  Shouldn't be a problem if you're running with 8-16GB ram, and give the VM a decent chunk?

I haven't tried to play DDO in a VM.
GamerE - what sort of resources do you assign to the VM?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
I think Atomic is on the right track.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Make sure the ddo in the VM has the right mouse key mapped to one of the steer options in the key mapping area (I use select target/steer)

Options/key mappings

Also you might want to check that it (right mouse button)is not assigned to something else.

IP Logged

GamerE
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Excellent question and suggestions one and all.  As for resources on my VM, I have dedicated 4G RAM and the performance on the VM is fine. 

As for Atomic's recommendation, I have tried that and been unsuccessful at "locking" a mouse into the VMPlayer.  I have followed the directions in the website below as well as multiple other websites/recommendations with similar recommendations.  The standard USB dell mouse I am using does not show up in the list of USB devices.  Not sure how to get around that or if it is actually the real problem anyway...   <sigh>

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=display...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint