Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Elf Shuriken build framework (Read 7132 times)
gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Elf Shuriken build framework
Mar 17th, 2015 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Disclaimer #1: I'm posting this here because it contains some sketchy stuff that probably isn't WAI and I'm not interested in making it more known on the other DDO forums.  I'm new here though, so if there is a better place for this, please let me know.

Disclaimer #2: I'm sure some people already know this stuff, but I'm hoping its new info for at least a few people.

So this isn't a set build as much as a framework and some tips/tricks that come along with it.

Step 1: Be an elf.  While you're being an Elf, put 14 points in racial to open AA.  Spend enough to get Arrow of Slaying.  If you've gone that far, don't overlook the capstone - the DEX is always welcome and the passive double shot doesn't hurt.

Step 2: Be a Shuriken thrower.  Accomplish this however you like, but I prefer at least 3 monk levels for the extra throw, then do whatever you can to max out DEX.  T5 EK won't be an option for tensers since you're using AA, so I personally take 11 Wizard so I don't have to scroll it.  I also like 6 Ranger for a couple of feats, plus many shot if you also took the Elf DEX to damage with bows (if you go this route AND don't mind skipping the AA capstone, you can skip step 1 and be another race...presumably halfling).  Honorable mention to 3 levels of rogue for shadow dodge, but my build doesn't use it as its getting changed soon (TM).

Step 3: Play around with AA enhancements while tossing Shuriken and you'll notice a few things.
-Arrow of Slaying works with Shuriken, also applying the damage boost to any addition tosses you get from Shuriken expertise/ninja training/doubleshot. 
-Elemental arrows (along with the T5 upgrades) work with Shuriken IF you activate them with a Shuriken in hand, switch to a bow, then switch back.
-Additional toggles like paralyzing arrows or force arrows also work and can be stacked with elemental ones.  Activate the element first, do your swaps, the activate paralyzing and do the swaps again.  Now your Shuriken has the elemental benefit, plus something like paralyzing.  And for doubters, I see a lot of mobs in EE storm horns quests getting paralyzed, I suspect due to high rate of fire and them having to make so many save attempts.
-So far I have not seen this work with core toggles, but I could be missing something.

Step 4 (optional): Commit to Fury of the Wild.  You'll be recharging adrenaline faster than you know what to do with it which translates to a free 10-15k DMG shot every time arrow of slaying is off cool down.  It's basically like CDG without having to CC first.  If you opt for a few more points in Elf, you'll also have a very solid unbridled fury+manyshot with DEX to damage with bows.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 2:13am by gabrion »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: Elf Shuriken build framework
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Halfling > Elf.  Crit profile > AA

The Meteor Shower

The Meteor Shower rev. 2

Tinkerhell

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 4:38am:

The Meteor Shower

The Meteor Shower rev. 2

Tinkerhell

Yup played 5 throwers now, 4 of them shuriken, so I'm aware of popular builds.  I was mostly sharing another option here, specifically because it involves several things that work to the build's advantage, but probably aren't WAI.

It's not meant to be a direct comparison to other builds, but if we want to go there, my question would be how halfling crit profile gives you 750 DPS increase on it's own (because that's roughly what you're getting from Arrow of Slayer + Adrenaline)?  Also keep in mind it's damage when you want it most, which is the best kind.  I don't need to worry if I crit a bit more against trash...what I do care about is insta-gibbing certain mobs that might give me trouble if they have time to fight.  Manyshot + Unbridled Fury is rumored to be pretty good boss damage as well.

Again though, I'm not claiming this is some sort of master build.  It's just another option that works.  I started doing the Stormhorns EE solo at 25 on it and that was with pretty shabby gear.  So it at least works.  The real point though was to inform people of a few mechanics they may or may not choose to take advantage of (if they didn't already know).

Edit: One more clarification on the crit topic.  If you have IC:Thrown, halfling expanded crit does nothing for you when you use adrenaline, since you can't crit on a 2 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read this is an engine limitation with throwers).  Same goes if you have a 19-20 bow (I still use pinion when I switch to manyshot).  Since the whole point is that much of your damage is selective in the sense that you line up enemies, then adrenaline+arrow of slaying to instantly kill all of them, halfling expanded crit matters a lot less for this build than others.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 6:02am by gabrion »  

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 4:38am:

The Meteor Shower

The Meteor Shower rev. 2

Tinkerhell

there are many ways to skin a cat

also halfling isn't the only source of better crit profile for throwers

IP Logged

Whatamidoing
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 6:59am
Print Post  
OK interesting, I am playing a monk (pure) Shuricannon currently. But maybe next life I will look into something a bit like this. I am not against using any advantage I can get, so if we get a nice discussion on the pro and cons of other builds in brief I will look into it further.

I understand the benefits of being able to use light armor so that would be a strong argument to leave the pure monk behind ignored to gain the PRR and MRR.

I guess Thunderforged stars are the goto right now? I still use my snowstar in certain situations with celestial in the off hand. There are a few other off hand options now I guess?
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 7:02am by Whatamidoing »  

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Whatamidoing wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 6:59am:
OK interesting, I am playing a monk (pure) Shuricannon currently. But maybe next life I will look into something a bit like this. I am not against using any advantage I can get, so if we get a nice discussion on the pro and cons of other builds in brief I will look into it further.

I understand the benefits of being able to use light armor so that would be a strong argument to leave the pure monk behind ignored to gain the PRR and MRR.

I guess Thunderforged stars are the goto right now? I still use my snowstar in certain situations with celestial in the off hand. There are a few other off hand options now I guess?

Thanks, and I'm glad I at least gave someone something to think about.

I purposely didn't make the opening post about a particular build, because really it's just a framework that offers some interesting results.  The recipe is just shuriken (with shuriken expertise and probably ninja spy core II) + AA + Fury.  From there I see a lot of options.

Honestly though, if anyone wants to try it, I just want to give a reminder that you won't see awesome returns if you don't stay in Fury of the Wild.  It isn't one of those builds that is awesome no matter what destiny you pick.  Adrenaline + Arrow of Slaying when you are throwing average of more than 3x Shuriken per toss is crazy high damage, but you normal attacks aren't going to be as good as some other options.

Currently I'm playing Elf 11 Wiz/6 Ranger/3 Monk, but I see a lot of options.

-Race could be Helf and still have access to AA capstone.  You lose 2 racial DEX, but can get +3 bonus during action boost (in this case probably pick up one of the AA boosts, which I usually skip).

-Race could also be halfling for those who absolutely insist on it, but you'd be taking Ranger AA rather than racial, so no capstone (still not bad though).

-If bard's swashbuckling crit multiplier worked on thrown, I'd consider that over monk.  You lose ninja spy II, but I think you could get enough doubleshot to be getting close to the 3x shuriken/throw mark.  And when you use Arrow of Slaying even having only 2x/throw would be a wash (3x with x2 multiplier, or 2x with x3 multiplier).  I don't know if it would perform as well regarding recharging adrenaline though...that's a key to keeping consistent DPS and it relies on the fact that you make a lot of attacks.

-Obviously rogue is still an option for more DEX (shadow dodge), but like I said, I've moved away from it preemptively since they are changing it.

-I originally picked 6 ranger in order to get sniper shot, because I had more adrenaline than I knew what to do with, and didn't always want to wait for arrow of slaying to come off CD (and didn't want to "waste" adrenaline on a regular attack).  I've played with enhancements a few times though and at the moment I have KTA rather than sniper shot and am mostly ok with it.  This makes me wonder if Ranger could be replaced with something else.

-A follow on to the above, I've actually considered going Paladin and wearing heavy armor.  Yes this means no monk stance, but that would be somewhat mandatory anyway as I'd be giving up 2 feats on a feat starved build, so probably couldn't get Grandmaster Forms anyway.  The up side would be very nice save boosts (just put a few points in CHA) and of course the nice PRR/MRR (though no sacred defender stance since this guy uses adrenaline).  For anyone wondering, my preliminary testing shows that you don't lose the chance to throw an extra star from Ninja Spy II when you aren't centered.

I'm sure there are a lot of other options I'm not thinking of.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 7:54am by gabrion »  

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 9:47am
Print Post  
purple, what do I mean by saying purple you ask?

well, with this build you can sit in wraith from (purple eyes) as an elf (purple hair, lips, base eyes) have extended tensors on (fairly purple) with extended death aura on (purple fog) using pinion for the manyshot burst (purple bow) whilst wearing death worm light armor (even more purple armor and fog)

btw I do actually play this and its a lot of fun, can swap between quite a few destinies depending on the content, only have to pump dex for everything, and end up at 25% incorp, 50% displaced, 28% dodged, with death aura healing and evasion with massive reflex saves, and a slight bit of PRR/MRR from light armor, sheltering, and enhancements.

+ the sheer amount of particle effects on your character is fun, as well as never touching the ground Tongue

you pretty much trade some trash dps for some boss dps, and well, trash is trash. plus the sense of imperiousness you get from not playing a meta build. (see munks links for details on the meta builds Tongue)
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 9:49am by Lehane »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Personally i played a 9 rogue 6 monk 5 ranger halfling.
In that build i tried 2 things.
First was ti go t5 stalker and abuse archer  stacks stance swap to have perma 20 stacks  running.
2nd wa to try and get some dshoot and abuse  slaying shot.
I played with scroll tensor and encourage everyone to do so since its stupid to wast precious class levels and ap on something you can easy replicate with scrolls.

Anyways elf with bow manyshot is  a good idea but .id stick with halfling since  better im precise.
But elf got a good one as well.
Thing i dont like bout manyshot is dahoot penality.

My opinion is that aa shuris  and deepwood are juat better.
Simple reason is shris lack burst dps.
They all have se trash clear and burst dps is very needed.
I tried to keep the aa shuri being best hidden heh.
But now that its out gjob opener and i like that you play with it.
I never liked hars builds due to  focus on tensors and shitty burst since i prefer to solo duo or box ees.
His builds were rather bad for boss efficoency to me.
Aa tho in blitz or fury is ectremely good on the other side

Sry for typos, wrote on phone
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015 at 10:00am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Lehane wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 9:47am:
purple, what do I mean by saying purple you ask?

well, with this build you can sit in wraith from (purple eyes) as an elf (purple hair, lips, base eyes) have extended tensors on (fairly purple) with extended death aura on (purple fog) using pinion for the manyshot burst (purple bow) whilst wearing death worm light armor (even more purple armor and fog)

btw I do actually play this and its a lot of fun, can swap between quite a few destinies depending on the content, only have to pump dex for everything, and end up at 25% incorp, 50% displaced, 28% dodged, with death aura healing and evasion with massive reflex saves, and a slight bit of PRR/MRR from light armor, sheltering, and enhancements.

+ the sheer amount of particle effects on your character is fun, as well as never touching the ground Tongue

you pretty much trade some trash dps for some boss dps, and well, trash is trash. plus the sense of imperiousness you get from not playing a meta build. (see munks links for details on the meta builds Tongue)

My last life actually took advantage of wizard access to PM and did something similar (and I liked the healing better since it couldn't be interrupted the way cocoon sometimes is). 

One interesting thing I learned is that with whirling wrist and tensers you can go zombie form without actually losing any attack speed.

My problem with it in this build is I can't seem to spare the points if I go elf racial and full AA.  Well actually I can if I drop KTA/Sniper shot options, but don't know that I want to give those up.

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 10:36am
Print Post  
oh I agree sniper shot is good especially with adrenaline and is the better DPS choice. but I personally was trying to stack particle effects and had a lot of fun in wraith from Tongue

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I'm really tempted to try something new with this framework.  Namely running a non-centered monk version.  Since the extra throw from Ninja Training II doesn't require being centered, it's possible to go with heavy armor and still have a ridiculous amount of tosses.  Obviously it gives up evasion (which is actually pretty good on a max DEX build), as well as stances, but I figure the added survivability of heavy armor might just be worth it.

I'm considering doing something like 11 Wiz/6 Pally/3 Monk for this version.  The Paladin levels add some great saves and the aforementioned armor option.  Six levels might be a bit much as it doesn't offer a ton and I'm not trying to buy T3 cores or anything, but I don't see a better place for the levels (and at least divine favor at level 6 makes up for the 2 dmg lost from Ram's if I drop Ranger).

Another fun thing is that if not centered, it opens up some interesting off-hand options.  I'll probably go with devourer's reaping, since the 14% doublestrike actually also adds to doubleshot (so standing 58% doubleshot) and it has a nice colorless slot for true imperial blood, and the other slot of spellpower of choice (neg if running undead form, pos if using cocoon).

Probably more motivating to me is the fact that it adds two more things to the build that can't be WAI. Smiley

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
gabrion wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 5:04pm:
I'm really tempted to try something new with this framework.  Namely running a non-centered monk version.  Since the extra throw from Ninja Training II doesn't require being centered, it's possible to go with heavy armor and still have a ridiculous amount of tosses.  Obviously it gives up evasion (which is actually pretty good on a max DEX build), as well as stances, but I figure the added survivability of heavy armor might just be worth it.

I'm considering doing something like 11 Wiz/6 Pally/3 Monk for this version.  The Paladin levels add some great saves and the aforementioned armor option.  Six levels might be a bit much as it doesn't offer a ton and I'm not trying to buy T3 cores or anything, but I don't see a better place for the levels (and at least divine favor at level 6 makes up for the 2 dmg lost from Ram's if I drop Ranger).

Another fun thing is that if not centered, it opens up some interesting off-hand options.  I'll probably go with devourer's reaping, since the 14% doublestrike actually also adds to doubleshot (so standing 58% doubleshot) and it has a nice colorless slot for true imperial blood, and the other slot of spellpower of choice (neg if running undead form, pos if using cocoon).

Probably more motivating to me is the fact that it adds two more things to the build that can't be WAI. Smiley

If you're gonna do uncentered, maybe you should pick up arti instead of wiz, so you can pick up a rune arm as well as tensors and elemental weapons.  You really only need 3-4 paladin levels for almost all the benefits.  14/3/3 is what I'm currently using as a shuritank.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:04am
Print Post  
gabrion wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 2:06am:
AA stance

That old bug. I might have to dust off the monkcher.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 10:57pm:
If you're gonna do uncentered, maybe you should pick up arti instead of wiz, so you can pick up a rune arm as well as tensors and elemental weapons.  You really only need 3-4 paladin levels for almost all the benefits.  14/3/3 is what I'm currently using as a shuritank. 

At the very least I'll be doing something Tinkerhell lite for one life since I want completionist on this guy and currently don't have arti past life.  Its always been a fairly elegant solution (giving tensers, better BAB than wizard so you don't have to worry where IPS fits, bonus feats that are more versatile than wizard for a build like this, better skills, better HD, etc) but in my currently build I couldn't fit 12 levels of a casting class to pick up tensers, since I "needed" 6 Ranger and 3 Monk.

Like yiu said though, 14/3/3 would be a good split for the Arti/Monk/Pally version.  2 more levels in either Monk or Pally wouldn't give much, so might as well get a few more perks from Arti. 

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 8:58am
Print Post  
without ever having played a thrower build: do the proposed rogue tree updates change the math somehow? such as:

Expert Builder: You gain a +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range and Critical Multiplier for bows, crossbows and thrown weapons. Critical Multiplier increases to +2 for great crossbows.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457246-Rogue-Mechanic-%28and-Traps%29-...

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Mar 19th, 2015 at 8:58am:
without ever having played a thrower build: do the proposed rogue tree updates change the math somehow? such as:

Expert Builder: You gain a +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range and Critical Multiplier for bows, crossbows and thrown weapons. Critical Multiplier increases to +2 for great crossbows.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457246-Rogue-Mechanic-%28and-Traps%29-...

I don't think it will change some of the standard builds because of its placement - 18 levels of rogue means no ninja training II for extra Shuriken.  I do think it opens options though and at the very least I'll probably end up doing a pure rogue life playing with it.

Oh, all that assumes they actually get it to work.  To my knowledge they've failed every time implementing an increased crit multiplier for Shuriken (holy sword and swashbuckler).

IP Logged

Whatamidoing
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:24am
Print Post  
The changes in the upcoming update will increase ranged power which is nice. Am I being silly in expecting this to help a Shuri build?

I will get to play with the different destinies I guess, I was heading to across destinies to try different options out after maxing Shiradi

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Whatamidoing wrote on Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:24am:
The changes in the upcoming update will increase ranged power which is nice. Am I being silly in expecting this to help a Shuri build?

I will get to play with the different destinies I guess, I was heading to across destinies to try different options out after maxing Shiradi

Ya I saw that and its pretty good news. Unless for some reason ranged power doesn't apply to Shuriken, its just a net positive for them. 

IIRC Fury is only getting 1 per EL, of course on top of what every gets for epic levels, but it'll still be my preferred destiny.  It looks to me like this will be about a flat 30% damage increase.  So instead of slaying arrows doing about 12k DMG, they go up to 15k.  Not bad at all.

I hope while they are looking at ranged stuff they get rid of the double shot penalty for manyshot/10k and replace it with something else.  If they aren't going to change bow attack speed/animation, they need to start attaching a base ranged power mod to item types - great crossbow 200 ranged power, bow 100 ranged power, or whatever.  Then they could add in a reduction to ranged power for manyshot (maybe minus 100) and 10k stars (maybe 50) to replace the double shot penalty.  Those are really off the cuff numbers though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint