Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2nd life.....34 pt pal (Read 4044 times)
izbin
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

2nd life.....34 pt pal
Apr 8th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
currently i have an 18 human pal kotc..at 20 im going tr
considering either another human pal, but going defender/vanguard....or possibly kotc bladeforge as i may be unlocking it soon.  curious as to where where to toss my extra points...as well as feat selection if i choose the defender/vanguard pal.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Re: 2nd life.....34 pt pal
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Most of the info in that threat is useful:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451677-Sacred-Vanguards-%28aka-Revisit...

The full shield + THF line option is a good allrounder.
I prefer THF Bladeforged + KOTC + LD/DC max. cleave damage builds because I don't tank much and Bladeforged Reconstruct + endless SP-Pots is perfect for my lazy butt. Like this http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426045070 (Taking the cleave feat for Momentum swing and lay waste is very solid imho.)
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:55am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

qucangel
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
From what I could tell the improved shield bash was pointless once you got a +20 shield.

The feats I tried out were as follows:
h toughness
1 shield mastery
3 mental toughness
6 imp shield mastery
9 imp mental toughness
12 tower shield proficiency
15 imp crit pierce
18 precision

21 overwhelming crit
24 epic tough
27 epic mental tough

26 etwf
28 filler

The mana from the mental toughness lines were nice, but I don't know if I'd do it again. I think emp heal/quicken would be more useful, and then the 10 PRR feat.

I tried a 2h kotc, maybe I built it wrong, but it does significantly less damage than my vanguard single target. Against more than one target, it pulls way ahead, but against a single it can't keep up. I can't explain why this is. Another big issue with kotc 2h is the lack of disables. I was stunning everything on vanguard, able to autohit DCs very easily on EE content to take out disabling casters, but kotc doesn't have that luxury. And like I said, their damage at least in my case was worse for single target.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 5:04am
Print Post  
qucangel wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 1:48pm:
From what I could tell the improved shield bash was pointless once you got a +20 shield.

The feats I tried out were as follows:
h toughness
1 shield mastery
3 mental toughness
6 imp shield mastery
9 imp mental toughness
12 tower shield proficiency
15 imp crit pierce
18 precision

21 overwhelming crit
24 epic tough
27 epic mental tough

26 etwf
28 filler

The mana from the mental toughness lines were nice, but I don't know if I'd do it again. I think emp heal/quicken would be more useful, and then the 10 PRR feat.

I tried a 2h kotc, maybe I built it wrong, but it does significantly less damage than my vanguard single target. Against more than one target, it pulls way ahead, but against a single it can't keep up. I can't explain why this is. Another big issue with kotc 2h is the lack of disables. I was stunning everything on vanguard, able to autohit DCs very easily on EE content to take out disabling casters, but kotc doesn't have that luxury. And like I said, their damage at least in my case was worse for single target.

Interesting build, but you have no feats spent on a fighting style?
You've taken tower proficiency, but you talk about 2H?  I don't see Bastard Sword as a feat though?
There have been a few good variations of Pally options posted on this section of the Vault.
What 2H were you using to take Improved Crit Pierce?
Pally feats are so scarce, I'm surprised to see them used on Mental toughness chain.  I simply use a 250SP augment and hardly ever need pots.

I personally think the +10PRR feat (epic damage redn) is a bit wasted on a high defense pally due to the diminishing returns.  For ED feats, better off with PTHF and PTWF.

Empower Heal and quicken are better choices.

IP Logged

qucangel
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Different builds played at different times in regards to 2h. Like I said in then post, I'd probably take quicken/emp heal, but I don't know. Quicken/emp is almost exclusively for CSW, which I almost never cast.

Haven't looked into PRR too much, but my guess is it actually doesn't have diminishing returns, while more points will effectively add less % reduction, you're also only reducing a smaller portion.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:30am
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:50am:
I prefer THF Bladeforged + KOTC + LD/DC max. cleave damage builds because I don't tank much and Bladeforged Reconstruct + endless SP-Pots is perfect for my lazy butt. Like this http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426045070 (Taking the cleave feat for Momentum swing and lay waste is very solid imho.)

This.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Kaezin
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:04am
Print Post  
qucangel wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:53pm:
Haven't looked into PRR too much, but my guess is it actually doesn't have diminishing returns, while more points will effectively add less % reduction, you're also only reducing a smaller portion.

Correct, any reduction algorithm that uses Reduction = Armor/(Armor + Constant) to determine mitigation does not have diminishing returns.  A lot of games out there use something like this, so it comes up pretty often.  It's used so frequently because it means that for every Constant amount of mitigation you get, your effective health pool by 100% (stacking linearly, so having 4 * Constant armor means that you have 500% effective health).

See here for better explanation/examples.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Yes, every point of PRR linearly increases your survivability vs physical damage.

Now take into account that there are other necessary defenses and the opportunity cost of maximizing PRR.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2015 at 10:44pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

qucangel
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Most of the damage I take is physical, magic missile(remedied via clicky), and untyped.

Really isn't much of an alternative to it.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 11:22am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 13th, 2015 at 1:15am:
Yes, every point of PRR linearly increases your urvivability vs physical damage.

Now take into account that there are other necessary defenses and the opportunity cost of maximizing PRR.

Yes, simply, it's about finding a balance between how long you need to survive vs. how long it takes to kill shit.

On EE, anyway.  Everything else there is little real danger, with appropriate defense.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:18am
Print Post  
qucangel wrote on Apr 14th, 2015 at 1:14am:
Most of the damage I take is physical, magic missile(remedied via clicky), and untyped.

Really isn't much of an alternative to it.

I think what people were referring to are the various defense options.
By diminishing returns, I wasn't literally referring to the mathematics - read all the threads arguing those points and understand the arguments.

What we were alluding to was if you push maximising PRR so far that you start trading off on dodge/AC/miss chance from displace/blur/concealment etc, then there is a cost to it.

In the case of that feat, being a Pally I'm often short of feats so the +10 PRR is a lower priority than something else (usually increased DPS).
Contextually, I also have no shortage of healing options so mitigating a small amount of extra damage is also a lesser priority one I have my PRR around 190-200.

But each to their own - that's what I love about DDO - there is no right or wrong.  It's whatever is fun and works for you.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:53am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:18am:
my PRR around 190-200.

hacks! my prr after nerfs on my orb pallies was like 160-190~ ish. My twf and thf pallies are now at 150(9 prr lives) and 120(0 prr lives). prior to all the orb nerfs and heavy armor nerf i was at your prr range for both my toons.

OP get displacement If youre going to melee. Makes all the difference in the world. well. i mean prr is still huge and so is high fort%. cabal 1st red named still hits for like 900 on crits and no prr.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint