Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic how to properly use an iconic pdk w/o LR? (Read 6757 times)
Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

how to properly use an iconic pdk w/o LR?
Apr 27th, 2015 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I have the iconic, I do not  have the LR +1 to get rid of that first fighter level.

What builds can this guy be made into that are viable and even fun to play in EE content?

I have a melee wolf, and I love him, but looking for other ideas and the iconic seems like its going to be a haggle/enchantment toon if I cant find a more useful build - seems like a waste if i do that though, so ...Ideas?
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:02pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: how to properly use an iconic bladeforged w/o LR?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Pure 20 pally bladeforged
PDK or shadar 12b/6f/2rge swashbuckler
mournlord 12mnk/5cl/3pal tree or 18/brb/1rng/1clr thf+manyshot barb.

Easiest things I can think of. Few of those will be tight on feats, but doable.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:12pm:
Pure 20 pally bladeforged
PDK or shadar 12b/6f/2rge swashbuckler
mournlord 12mnk/5cl/3pal tree or 18/brb/1rng/1clr thf+manyshot barb.

Easiest things I can think of. Few of those will be tight on feats, but doable.

For the mourninglord barbarian, what do you use from cleric/mourninglord tress (if any)?  Just curious.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
All but one of those seem to be missing the 1 fighter I have to take - I dont have a LR +1 nor can I find one on the ah to buy, so I have to stick with that.

Am I stuck in with a melee toon then? 

I'd love to do a chucker, but I know w/o the LR its impossible, but is  there any ranged/magic user builds that work?

If not, I suppose a swashbuckler isnt a bad second melee that can still haggle a bit.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:54pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:53pm:
All but one of those seem to be missing the 1 fighter I have to take - I dont have a LR +1 nor can I find one on the ah to buy, so I have to stick with that.

Am I stuck in with a melee toon then? 

I'd love to do a chucker, but I know w/o the LR its impossible, but is  there any ranged/magic user builds that work?

If not, I suppose a swashbuckler isnt a bad second melee that can still haggle a bit.

Bladeforged have to take 1 level of PALADIN.

Purple Dragon Knights take 1 level of FIGHTER.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 2:13pm:
Bladeforged have to take 1 level of PALADIN.

Purple Dragon Knights take 1 level of FIGHTER.

Thats my mistake then, I have the iconic from the last expac, the pdk.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:02pm:
Thats my mistake then, I have the iconic from the last expac, the pdk.

Swashbuckler, is what I would suggest. You get displace spell, haste spell, cure wounds, fascinate, insta kill, guardbreaking(if you have the buckler). IMO the best build for new players or ungeared alts because it requires the least grinding and is pretty much effective anywhere right out the box.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

AllBorkedup
Waterworks Kobold

Be Happy~!

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:14pm:
Swashbuckler, is what I would suggest.  

Absolutely have a look at the maxdps swash Teh_Troll posted. TRing into it this life as we speak as need bard for my completionist still.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Re: how to properly use an iconic pdk w/o LR?
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Cha based PDK bard can also get ridiculous DC on warchanter freeze attacks. The cleave is T5 so no CDG but it works on a stupid number of things. Int secondary for KTA DC boost. Shortswords only since swash is still so good even w/o CDG. And honestly, CDG = dead but frozen = 2 seconds from dead in most cases.

This build could be better by taking at least 2 fighter for T2 Vanguard's Brutality:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/447972-Cheese-Mode-Bleu?highlight=bleu...
That was done before Harper went live and there are more fleshed out builds posted but I think the way the DC benefits from cha and int are valid.
Quote:
Every 2 points of Cha gets you +1 DC, every 6 points of Cha gets you an additional +1 DC, every 4 points of Int gets you +1 DC.

This will give up dps compared to the previously suggested swash.

Here's a slightly more finished one.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446859-The-Icebreaker-A-Freezing-Warch...
The split and feats aren't far off from the max dps swash build so you could probably just reset enhancements to go back and forth, although the dps build is NOT cha based. Or ETR to try both.

My personal favorite thing about full tropic thunder freeze dc is discovering things when a mob gets frozen. Like there's a torso and arms inside of an air elemental.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 10:11pm:
My personal favorite thing about full tropic thunder freeze dc is discovering things when a mob gets frozen. Like there's a torso and arms inside of an air elemental.

Thats cool.   

If I have to go melee again then swashbuckler may be the thing I do then, even though its a second melee character for me.

Q: It is possible to still maintain a high haggle with a swashbuckler since its cha based, right?
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2015 at 4:38pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:39pm:
Q: It is possible to still maintain a high haggle with a swashbuckler since its cha based, right?

Yeah, even without putting points into it.

+skill item +GH +good luck +excep. skills +epic skills +high CHA makes for a decent score.  You're better off making a pure hagglebot alt/bank toon if you want absolute max haggle for getting plat, but it will still make a difference in your sell values with a high CHA toon.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:47pm:
Yeah, even without putting points into it.

+skill item +GH +good luck +excep. skills +epic skills +high CHA makes for a decent score.  You're better off making a pure hagglebot alt/bank toon if you want absolute max haggle for getting plat, but it will still make a difference in your sell values with a high CHA toon.

I'm just looking to get a little more out of the pdk if I'm stuck going melee again, but ty.

I dont think I have enough time/interest to invest in a pure haggle character I cant play.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 28th, 2015 at 4:39pm:
I'm just looking to get a little more out of the pdk if I'm stuck going melee again, but ty.

I dont think I have enough time/interest to invest in a pure haggle character I cant play.

right now melee is easiest to build, especially off pdk. easier to play effectively too. aside shiradi, but 1 ftr level is kind of ugly for that and it is fleshie.

you could o a ranged build. post in one of harhar's thrower threads and maybe he can hook it up with a thrower build provided you have some good throwers.

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Perhaps PDK would make good fighter/wizard Eldrich Knight? 17wiz/3fighter?

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 28th, 2015 at 5:22pm:
post in one of harhar's thrower threads and maybe he can hook it up with a thrower build provided you have some good throwers.

I decided to try 1 fighter/ 1 bard/ 18 rogue as a first attempt since I really am fascinated with the idea of a xbow playing character (Im a fan of the demon hunter in D3).

Tips on playing that build or gear to loof for would be nice - havent found a thread dedicated to helping make ranged builds from "harhar", but still looking, so Ill be asking him/her as well soon.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:29am:
ranged builds from "harhar

har does thrower builds now mostly, not sure he is interested in bow/xbow. there are few other threads here for xbow users.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
The main advantage of the fighter level is going to be Haste Boost, isn't it? So may as well take 1FTR for that, then play whatever you like. Almost no builds suffer from splashing other classes these days. (Pally/Barb pure now arguably worth it.)

Hell, when I test a funky build I use PDK or BF and just "test" to L14 and ignore the extra level.

But yeah Bard looks good. I used a +20 LR heart to fix up a mule into a 10/6/4 and it's... well it's still a shitty Bard but at least they don't suck now. Smiley

IP Logged

nicetrybutimjesus
Korthos Resident

drama?

Reply #17 - May 6th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
go 18 barbarian 1 fighter 1 favored soul, the fighter level gives you2 feats, heavy armor and class feats, fvs givs you divine might for extra 15ish strength and if you take force of will a 68 will save which is a weak spot for barbs, buffed i had a 108 sustained strength with amazing survivability.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2015 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I know barbs are op in any flavor as I make pure barb favor runners on every server and they kick much ass, so ty for the suggestion.

I'd really like to go ranged with him if possible.

If that doesnt happen then before I try to save $ -$$ to get TP for a LR +1, id like to figure out the best ways to make dual use of him if hes a second melee character, which would include working in max benefits (or near) from crafting or haggling.

Looking at all these posts though and listening to everyone, so if any more ideas are out there, plz post.

ty

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I wish I'd thought of this earlier so just in case: if you do go Barb, Human is good. Both are free, so you could try running a Barb to cap on a second account and dual box it. Twice the chest pulls on every named item on the way to cap. Bit of faffing but can be useful for opening Elite quests when not VIP, opening end of chain quests then leaving group, etc.

Not everyone's cup of tea but when I capped my 2nd account Human Bard I wished I'd done it years before.

IP Logged

SmokeMonster
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 8th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I am not exactly sure why no one has suggested this yet but... pure sword and board fighter in US ed, pretty good dps and tons of ac and hp. I have one who has ~1500hp(about 1700 in vigor of battle) 184 ac, close to 200prr and can mostly selfheal with renewal and cocoon. All I have to do now is get him an EE ring of shadows and he will be set. Sadly he has no umd since he is a first lifer but he manages. You can solo just about any quest on EH and do some EE. In a party he is great because he can tank real well and still dish out the dps.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #21 - May 8th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
SmokeMonster wrote on May 8th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
I am not exactly sure why no one has suggested this yet but... pure sword and board fighter in US ed, pretty good dps and tons of ac and hp. I have one who has ~1500hp(about 1700 in vigor of battle) 184 ac, close to 200prr and can mostly selfheal with renewal and cocoon. All I have to do now is get him an EE ring of shadows and he will be set. Sadly he has no umd since he is a first lifer but he manages. You can solo just about any quest on EH and do some EE. In a party he is great because he can tank real well and still dish out the dps.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Bacardi
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
14 Paladin 5 rogue 1 fighter Mechanic with Defender
You are missing Assassins trick and Sneak Attack from the Assassin tree and its AP intensive but you can face tank shit and there are plenty Rouges around nowdays to not give a fuck about debuffing Raid Bosses.

Epoch wrote on May 22nd, 2012 at 4:46am:
I can tell by your typing that you are an uneducated fuckwit.  This explains why you think books are bad.  I bet you think school is hard and you shouldn't have to repeat 7th grade again this year.

IP Logged

andros414
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 11th, 2015 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
SmokeMonster wrote on May 8th, 2015 at 1:19pm:

I don't think so, Tim.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint