Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Any Reason to Make This Build? (Read 3055 times)
Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Any Reason to Make This Build?
Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
So, I was sort of playing around with the idea of building a S&B battle-cleric type toon and wondered if anyone else had thought of this particular build?

I'm asking because I haven't thought about it too deeply and wanted to avoid re-inventing the wheel if it was going to be a crappy wheel.

So if anyone has experienced this type of build, for good or ill, I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences.

My idea was to build a non-warlock light and fire-based melee toon. For the race I am seriously considering a Sun Elf but I certainly am not married to the idea.

For splits I was thinking about 12Clr/6Pally/2Ftr. The 2 Ftr would be for Tower Shield proficiency and two other Combat feats of some sort.

I was thinking of 2 Mnk or 2 Rog but the idea was to wear Heavy Armor for the PRR and MRR so I think those are out because the primary motivation to go with either of those 2 levels would have been Evasion.

I'm not set on 2 Ftr for the last two levels. I am open to other suggestions.

I do see my toon investing APs in mostly War Priest and Vanguard with some APs spent in Sacred Defender. As for an ED, I'm thinking of Divine Crusader but, again, I could be convinced to do something else.

Any suggestions or information you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:36pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Any Reason to Make This Build?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:34pm:
light and fire-based melee toon.

for divine punishment and consecration?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:56pm:
for divine punishment and consecration?

Well, I started out with the concept of "Battle Cleric Using Celestia and PDK Shield" and it sorta morphed from there.

I've seen some indications that Celestia does Glancing Blow damage despite the fact it's actually a shortsword. I haven't tested that for myself though.

I know there are better weapons (TF mainly) but this is a flavor build I suppose.

Anyway, was thinking a 13Clr/6Pal/1Ftr split would better than the 12/6/2 split I proposed above, mostly because of 7th spells like Resurrection. I suppose I could use scrolls though for that though.

But Consecration was a primary part of my thinking in Epic content. Divine Punishment seems like a good thing to use while shield blocking too.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2015 at 9:03pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 9:01pm:
Well, I started out with the concept of "Battle Cleric Using Celestia and PDK Shield" and it sorta morphed from there.

I've seen some indications that Celestia does Glancing Blow damage despite the fact it's actually a shortsword. I haven't tested that for myself though.

I know there are better weapons (TF mainly) but this is a flavor build I suppose.

Anyway, was thinking a 13Clr/6Pal/1Ftr split would better than the 12/6/2 split I proposed above, mostly because of 7th spells like Resurrection. I suppose I could use scrolls though for that though.

But Consecration was a primary part of my thinking in Epic content. Divine Punishment seems like a good thing to use while shield blocking too.

too bad we dont have a wis to dmg race or tree. would make flavor fun. I suppose you could use zen archer with slayer arrows while kiting mob through BB with decent dc on it, but seems lackluster.

consider going bard levels in light armor? pdk using sword and swash stance. fire energy burst cha based? it's s&b in look but swf swash in practice. your bb dc is out the window but you get a decent energy burst dc and tactics like stun blow. although with how much cc bards get you prolly wont want it. This set up allows you to use a better tier 5 for melee in swash tree and displace if you go with 7 bard levels. 11/7/2ftr?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I have a PDK favorite soul 15/paladin4/fighter1 TWF build dual wielding celestias with CHA to damage and heavy use of consecration and the draconic fire burst. I would go SWF with orb next time to have an easier time with sollting spellpower items. The boost to light damage from soul and the archon help a lot.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
If you go Sun Elf Bane of the Restless and KotC Divine Light stack so your turns will do 36d6 light damage to undead.

IP Logged

Tyrsis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I did a very similar build to that around U20.  I went with the 13 cleric/6 pal/1 ftr PDK. 

I found that going with high CHA and decent healing ability allowed me to burst heal most instances in heroic.  It also allowed me some moderate(though not super great) melee damage.  I had a decently high intim and would imtim packs of mobs. (healing my well armored self instead of the random pugger was much easier as a whole)  In epic levels having 20ish bursts on turns that regenerate, as well as consecrate and cocoon was usually more effective at healing then traditional spellcaster cleric types.  The build ran around with like 1500 sp and pretty much never ran out of mana for healing.

It was perhaps one of the more fun healers I have rolled.  It was pretty near indestructible, but don't expect mad soloing skills or to lead the kill counts.

IP Logged

Tyrsis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I ran with a s/b bastard sword(Nightmare) in epic levels.  It played similarly to a s/b paladin, with much more healing options.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking swash would do better at abusing glancing blows on sunblades than S&B. (Though skirmisher is an option.) Is Arti the only tree that enhances glancing blows without actually having the feats? I know you can still take PTHF and twist FotW stuff.

Maybe 13 Bard/4 Rogue/3 Fighter? 12 Bard/4 Rogue/4 Fighter?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint