Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Request: 32 pt first life kid friendly melee? (Read 5271 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Request: 32 pt first life kid friendly melee?
Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Since the Bard build went so well (thanks again!) I've been asked to get a melee build for heroics that a kid can run. I can help with leveling choices, but playing shouldn't require a ton of perfectly timed attack combos. Also, it's a 32 point first life with minimal tomes (+1s should be OK, +2 maybe) and gear. No iconics, no warlock, no helf or horc, but splashes in druid,  monk, or artie are OK, and maybe FVS but I'm not sure. Drow is unlocked, though the con penalty might hurt survivability too much. Oh, and no wolf or Warforged for aesthetic reasons  Roll Eyes

I like the looks of 5FS's Barbarian, dropping Str to 17 to let Dex use a +1 instead of +4, (and sub what at 6 instead of Completionist?) but maybe a Paladin would be a viable option too? Pros and cons?

For reference, this is the version of 5FS's Barb build http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1416652172/282#282 and I don't have a current Paladin build to compare, a link or post would be very welcome. Doesn't have to be as detailed as the barb layout, Rubbins' Bard description was fine, though full details is always welcome.

The character probably won't ever set foot in a raid or epics.

Thanks!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Request: 32 pt first life kid friendly melee?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
One of 5FS pally builds will also smash most quests in heroics. You can also go for an evasion splash to ignore magic mobs, like in Enter Kobold end fight, letting you stand there while swinging. The best thing about heroic pally, imo, is the tier 5 insta kill cleave that can AoE. Round up as many mobs as you can and hit I win button.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 9:30am:
One of 5FS pally builds will also smash most quests in heroics. You can also go for an evasion splash to ignore magic mobs, like in Enter Kobold end fight, letting you stand there while swinging. The best thing about heroic pally, imo, is the tier 5 insta kill cleave that can AoE. Round up as many mobs as you can and hit I win button.

OK, any thought on how well his "No Brainer DPS Paladin" (http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426045070/0#0) would translate out of Bladeforged? Say, maybe Dwarf or Human?

And any thoughts if one would be a significantly more forgiving build (this or the Barb linked above) for less than ideal player skill and resources and with recent changes, or are they're both still solid "wade in and smash" builds for newer players?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:42am
Print Post  
For the Paladin build, to go human I'd get power attack and Bastard Sword at lvl one, then get empower heal and quicken at 6 and 12 (you want those heals going off without a hitch!), moving the THF lines up to 15 and 18.  Don't bother with the Weapon Focus feats, they're not going to add much for a kid to notice.  Grab cleave at 21 to qualify for Momentum Swing around the time it will be available, then OC at 24.  Bastard sword is for shield use for extra survivability.  Works for dwarf, too, use dwarven axes without needing the extra feat. 

Barbarian can get passive healing and temp hp on being hit, so they're more of a "wade-in and forget it" type of build.  Easier to go THF and not worry about dex.  Take heavy armour instead of completionist, and IC slash (use axes or greatswords).  Swap the weapon focus feats (again, they don't mean that much, just a bit of extra DPS with top gear) probably for cleave and maybe stunning blow or even Luck of Heroes (+1 all saves.)  Getting the capstones in ravager instead of FB gives you that awesome passive healing extra crit range while raging and knockdown immunity.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:42am:
For the Paladin build, to go human I'd get power attack and Bastard Sword at lvl one, then get empower heal and quicken at 6 and 12 (you want those heals going off without a hitch!), moving the THF lines up to 15 and 18.  Don't bother with the Weapon Focus feats, they're not going to add much for a kid to notice.  Grab cleave at 21 to qualify for Momentum Swing around the time it will be available, then OC at 24.  Bastard sword is for shield use for extra survivability.  Works for dwarf, too, use dwarven axes without needing the extra feat. 

Barbarian can get passive healing and temp hp on being hit, so they're more of a "wade-in and forget it" type of build.  Easier to go THF and not worry about dex.  Take heavy armour instead of completionist, and IC slash (use axes or greatswords).  Swap the weapon focus feats (again, they don't mean that much, just a bit of extra DPS with top gear) probably for cleave and maybe stunning blow or even Luck of Heroes (+1 all saves.)  Getting the capstones in ravager instead of FB gives you that awesome passive healing extra crit range while raging and knockdown immunity.

Awesome, thanks! The passive healing sounds like a good feature to emphasize, the build before last was a Druid and only made it to level 8, the "remember to stop and heal yourself" got lost in the excitement of battle, and "stay in line of sight of the cleric" was also hard to remember.

And thanks for the tips on what's used for "icing on the cake" DPS, that's quite helpful too.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:10am:
translate out of Bladeforged? Say, maybe Dwarf or Human?

easily. You get Lay On Hands and cure spells. healing isn't an issue.

Meursault wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:10am:
significantly more forgiving build

The pally. High saves, at will healing, neg level immunity, and AoE insta kill in Holy Retribution.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
There was a time when I'd've put a vote in for a light monk. Sad

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I suggest THF Barbarian with a hireling.

A new player needs more time than an experienced player to get their character from Korthos to "pally. High saves, at will healing, neg level immunity, and AoE insta kill in Holy Retribution."

Although you didn't mention the age of the child, you didn't say "teen", which leads me to believe they're somewhere in the 8-12 range.  I've watched children in this age group play DDO, and they tend to ignore their own health bar and get frustrated when it's not taken care of for them.  Artificer/Paladin/Bard self healing ability would likely go unused.

As the barb levels up, it'll need decreasing amounts of nannying, provided the character follows the build plan pretty closely.

If they get to high enough level to TR, then do the Paladin.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 3:58pm:
8-12 range.

there is no way kids that age cannot play video games and monitor a health bar.  maybe like 4 years old, then yeah.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 5:14pm:
there is no way kids that age cannot play video games and monitor a health bar.  maybe like 4 years old, then yeah.

Didn't say can't.  I said "tend not to".

they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 3:29pm:
There was a time when I'd've put a vote in for a light monk.

you and me both.. now monks like, last on my list..

Barbarian 20 should still be good, right? unless you want more than just a left click and hold type build.. Tongue

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Yeah, going on 10, and capable of taking care of HP until combat gets really exciting, at which point it gets ignored sometimes. We're all fine with that, we want to encourage that magic of immersion. This isn't a chore, or even a lesson, it's a fun game that happens to include watching adults do calculations and take numerous factors into account, "accidentally" talking out loud while doing it.

We had a wolf build last time, and it was OK up to about level 8, at which point combat was getting long and intense enough that deaths were becoming too frequent. "You never die, and I die every adventure". Not true, but apparently it felt that way, and felt discouraging. I don't believe every kid should get a trophy just for showing up, but I don't think living through most of your adventures is an unreasonable expectation, either.

I don't get the final say, but my opinion carries considerable weight. I'll present both options, but I'm going to recommend the barbarian as "less to think about". Even if the Shiny Paladin is the first choice, knowing there is a solid fallback is great.

And again, thanks for all the great input!

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I'd suggest a Charisma based Bastard Sword & Board heavy armor paladin.  Go Vanguard with Sacred Defender as the secondary tree and pick up a few choice bits from KotC.

Take the THF feats for glancing blows, some of the shield bash/mastery feats, precision, imp. crit slash, etc.  Of note, you really only need about 60% chance to shield bash to reliably do it ever time the refresh delay is up.  Use the tower shields that auto-grant the proficiency to save a feat slot.

I ran one of these for a life and while it may not have been absolute top-tier DPS, it was still respectable and it was nearly unkillable even in end-game EE.

Edit:  corrected TWF feats for glancing blows to THF which is the correct line.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2015 at 7:49pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:37am:
Since the Bard build went so well (thanks again!) I've been asked to get a melee build for heroics that a kid can run. I can help with leveling choices, but playing shouldn't require a ton of perfectly timed attack combos. Also, it's a 32 point first life with minimal tomes (+1s should be OK, +2 maybe) and gear. No iconics, no warlock, no helf or horc, but splashes in druid,  monk, or artie are OK, and maybe FVS but I'm not sure. Drow is unlocked, though the con penalty might hurt survivability too much. Oh, and no wolf or Warforged for aesthetic reasons  Roll Eyes

I like the looks of 5FS's Barbarian, dropping Str to 17 to let Dex use a +1 instead of +4, (and sub what at 6 instead of Completionist?) but maybe a Paladin would be a viable option too? Pros and cons?

For reference, this is the version of 5FS's Barb build http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1416652172/282#282 and I don't have a current Paladin build to compare, a link or post would be very welcome. Doesn't have to be as detailed as the barb layout, Rubbins' Bard description was fine, though full details is always welcome.

The character probably won't ever set foot in a raid or epics.

Thanks!

Barb self-healing is still great, but isn't available until level 12. So think about whether potions and/or hireling will suffice until then. Don't waste a feat on heavy armor proficiency, with the MRR nerf it gives you zero over medium. If you're not going to play into epic at all I'd go THF and try to pull a Riftmaker unless you have a pair of Death Nips laying around. You'll still want Weapon Foci because your healing scales with melee power.

Level 1   : Power Attack, Two handed Fighting
Level 3   : Weapon Focus: Slashing
Level 6   : Imp Two handed Fighting
Level 9   : Improved Critical-Slashing
Level 12 : Greater Two handed Fighting
Level 15 : Weapon Focus: Blunt
Level 18 : Weapon Focus: Pierce

41 points in FB (capstone)
36 points in Ravager (t5 bloodstrength/crit rage)
3 points in Human (heal amp)

Pally is also great, but the build I posted is significantly less newbie friendly with the MRR nerf. If bladeforged isn't on the table, you'll want to go human and pick up healing amp but move the rest of those racial points over to defender and maybe get metamagics with the extra feats.

Level 1   : Two Handed Fighting, Power Attack
Level 6   : Improved Two Handed Fighting
Level 9   : Improved Critical: Slashing
Level 15 : Empower Healing
Level 18 : Quicken Spell
(no need for cleaves, you pick them up in KotC)

41 points KotC (capstone)
23+ points Defender (+6 Str, +6 Con OR 20% HP, fast movement)
12+ points Human (Heal Amp)
4 points of wiggle room here.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:19am:
You'll still want Weapon Foci because your healing scales with melee power.

I think you're putting way too much value on an added what, 6%?  It's not like that self-healing is going into the thousands where that would make a difference, and it's not like the kid is going to sprint through the whole dungeon and smash every mob at once.  Your advice is solid for advanced players, but try to remember what it was like at the beginning!

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:15am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:19am:
Barb self-healing is still great, but isn't available until level 12. So think about whether potions and/or hireling will suffice until then. Don't waste a feat on heavy armor proficiency, with the MRR nerf it gives you zero over medium. If you're not going to play into epic at all I'd go THF and try to pull a Riftmaker unless you have a pair of Death Nips laying around. You'll still want Weapon Foci because your healing scales with melee power.

Level 1   : Power Attack, Two handed Fighting
Level 6   : Imp Two handed Fighting
Level 9   : Improved Critical-Slashing
Level 15 : Weapon Focus: Blunt
Level 18 : Weapon Focus: Pierce

41 points in FB (capstone)
36 points in Ravager (t5 bloodstrength/crit rage)
3 points in Human (heal amp)

Pally is also great, but the build I posted is significantly less newbie friendly with the MRR nerf. If bladeforged isn't on the table, you'll want to go human and pick up healing amp but move the rest of those racial points over to defender and maybe get metamagics with the extra feats.

Level 1   : Two Handed Fighting, Power Attack
Level 6   : Improved Two Handed Fighting
Level 9   : Improved Critical: Slashing
Level 15 : Empower Healing
Level 18 : Quicken Spell
(no need for cleaves, you pick them up in KotC)

41 points KotC (capstone)
23+ points Defender (+6 Str, +6 Con OR 20% HP, fast movement)
12+ points Human (Heal Amp)
4 points of wiggle room here.

Thanks a ton for customizing them for us, I really appreciate that!

I think with the higher HP pool a hireling healer will be able to keep up until level 12, and 12 seems like a transition to harder content anyway. We'll just make sure we don't charge into Offering of Blood or the like at 11.

And sadly, no Death Nips lying around  Cry
But maybe a dampened Greatclub of the Scrag, that would look rockin' cool  Grin

(Someday I'm going to make a bank mule a female halfling barbarian, dress her in starter rags, ang give her a Scrag Greatclub just for a laugh)

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 9:11am:
I think you're putting way too much value on an added what, 6%?  It's not like that self-healing is going into the thousands where that would make a difference, and it's not like the kid is going to sprint through the whole dungeon and smash every mob at once.  Your advice is solid for advanced players, but try to remember what it was like at the beginning!

OMG, this is the hardest part. When my 9 year old and my brother in law's 10 year old (the one this char is for) play together I'm sitting on my hands and biting my tongue sometimes. They'll spend 10 minutes talking to the NPCs and then zerg through 3 rooms dragging mobs until dungeon alert stops them. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with them, but it's tough to rememder what the game looks like to a new player, especially a young one. They're pretty good at mimicking adult behavior, but not very good at determining under what conditions the adults behaved that way  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:36am:
They're pretty good at mimicking adult behavior, but not very good at determining under what conditions the adults behaved that way  Roll Eyes

Sounds like the relationship between the current DDO "developers" and the guys who actually developed the game.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 1:49pm:
Sounds like the relationship between the current DDO "developers" and the guys who actually developed the game.

No, the kids will grow up and learn better  Cry

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 9:11am:

Melee power x heal amp is overperforming.

Still, if supreme cleave isn't enough cleavage for you, you may want to sub one or both extra foci for cleave/great cleave.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Lesser vamp and vamp weapons can help with that self-healing. I'm going to guess you don't have the crafting skills/ings. to make one. In which case, most farmable vampirism weapons are ML 12 and above, except Cranium Cracker from ToEE: ML 7.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Nov 9th, 2015 at 5:04am:
Lesser vamp and vamp weapons can help with that self-healing. I'm going to guess you don't have the crafting skills/ings. to make one. In which case, most farmable vampirism weapons are ML 12 and above, except Cranium Cracker from ToEE: ML 7.

I can craft unbound for lesser, at least, I'll check if I can craft an unbound regular vamp, that would certainly help lower levels. Lesser is something crazy like ML3, I think.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 8:52am
Print Post  
And on the topic of crafting, does invulnerability stack with barb's DR? I could craft an unbound invulnerability item if it would help.

Any other thoughts on crafted gear for a kid's barbarian? I suppose at this point waiting for the Crafting revamp might make sense, but knowing Turdbin it will probably be delayed or trivial.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #23 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 9th, 2015 at 8:52am:
And on the topic of crafting, does invulnerability stack with barb's DR? I could craft an unbound invulnerability item if it would help.

No, but it's better for the first eight levels, though.  Most mobs have the /magic to beat it after that.

Spearblock items are good for dealing with archers, as they start to have magic arrows around level five quests.

I like to start melee lives with invulnerability armour, a +1 keen falchion, and a 10% melee alacrity item.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Nov 9th, 2015 at 10:11am:
No, but it's better for the first eight levels, though.  Most mobs have the /magic to beat it after that.

Spearblock items are good for dealing with archers, as they start to have magic arrows around level five quests.

I like to start melee lives with invulnerability armour, a +1 keen falchion, and a 10% melee alacrity item. 

Cool, I can craft all of that unbound, that will make a nice starter present.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint