Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Returning player, oh my god the damage (Read 11723 times)
Bizbag
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Returning player, oh my god the damage
Nov 2nd, 2015 at 6:57am
Print Post  
So I played on and off for a long time, yadda yadda personal history. Anyway, I'm back from a many year absence from DDO, TR'd my main character, and found that I was ludicrously incompetent compared to everyone I grouped with. Now I'm no slouch at the game, but my damage output is nowhere even close to anyone. People are knocking over entire packs of mobs with one spell, or wrecking boss fights with three swings of a weapon.

I've googled around but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Is it just having the Perfect Gear for every level? Or am I just that terrible at building a character?

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Re: Returning player, oh my god the damage
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Bizbag wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 6:57am:
Is it just having the Perfect Gear for every level? Or am I just that terrible at building a character?

Probably both. Some character stats, gear etc etc would be nice to know.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:39am
Print Post  
There are a few builds around that are an easy way to catch up with the crowd fast.

Pure Bladeforged THF Paladin (Falchion if you need to level EDs, Maul if you can stay in LD)

20/18XX Mechanic with Great Crossbow

Warlock (even after the nerfs)

Swashbuckler

These builds rock from level one, others like throwers/monkchers/trees/wolfs are more backloaded and need gear to shine.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:43am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Bizbag
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 7:36am:
Probably both. Some character stats, gear etc etc would be nice to know.

Granted, I'm playing a straight Cleric, mostly Radiant Servant with a bunch of points into Divine Disciple. I'm not expecting miracles. I've eaten at least a +2 in every main stat, at least +4 in Wisdom. But even on alts like my fighter or paladin I'm nowhere near other people.

Quote:
There are a few builds around that are an easy way to catch up with the crowd fast.

Pure Bladeforged THF Paladin (Falchion if you need to level EDs, Maul if you can stay in LD)

20/18XX Mechanic with Great Crossbow

Warlock (even after the nerfs)

Swashbuckler

Appreciate it. I'll give one of those a whirl for my third life. I figure I'll be doing a series of TRs to work towards Completionist and to reset my favor to bank TPs; I'm sticking with FTP for now.

I presume those builds work out of the box, but is there any particular equipment or weapons to look for beyond "best weapon you can find"?

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Bizbag wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:02am:
I'll give one of those a whirl for my third life. I figure I'll be doing a series of TRs to work towards Completionist and to reset my favor to bank TPs; I'm sticking with FTP for now.

Each life, when you get to 20, earn a little Epic XP before you TR and work toward unlocking Cocoon and some of the other useful twists.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Bizbag
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:30am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:23am:
Each life, when you get to 20, earn a little Epic XP before you TR and work toward unlocking Cocoon and some of the other useful twists.

Why, what good will that do? Other than come in handy later at epic levels?

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Bizbag wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:30am:
Why, what good will that [earn a little Epic XP before you TR and work toward unlocking Cocoon and some of the other useful twists] do? Other than come in handy later at epic levels?

Epic play is inevitable, even if it's not of interest to you at this time.  Because Pokemon.

Eventually you'll want to play Iconic races for the same reason people TR Heroics - to get their past life bonuses.  Iconics cannot Reincarnate until they get to cap (currently 28), which means they'll be playing epic content.

If you haven't purchased Epic Destinies for your account yet, do so soon and put a little effort each life into earning some epic destiny XP and unlocking some useful low level twists.  This will make time spent in Epic levels a little easier.

You don't need to go nuts and achieve Epic Completionist before you do any more Heroic reincarnations, but a few passes through "the dailies" each time before you Heroic Reincarnate adds up.

You should also keep track of the Heroic lives you have left to do and keep in mind that when you Iconic Reincarnate, you get credit for the Iconic past life and the Heroic past life at the same time. 

If, for example, you earn three Paladin past lives before you do any Bladeforged past lives, you'll find yourself looking for ways to work Bladeforged Paladin splashes into other builds that won't suck balls in Epic content and miss out on some easy Iconic past lives.

While doing Iconic lives, you'll earn XP in the various Epic Destiny Spheres.  It wouldn't be crazy to do some but not necessarily all Iconic lives before you start chasing Epic past lives.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
On a Cleric, Blade Barrier your way through content and pick up something Impulse related from the PAH. Doesn't have to be top notch.

The builds String gave you are all decent and very easy to play and should bring you up to speed.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Gala, did you play 9dragons?

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
have you considered killing yourself, faggot?

IP Logged

Bizbag
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:59am:
<extensive snip>.

I have Destinies from the last time I played, so I'll take that advice to heart and keep working on unlocking everything. I really appreciate the advice as well- looks like I'll plan around using Iconics for some of those Past Lives.

Quote:
On a Cleric, Blade Barrier your way through content and pick up something Impulse related from the PAH. Doesn't have to be top notch.

The builds String gave you are all decent and very easy to play and should bring you up to speed.

An impulse item! I'll do that. I'm at 21 now, just need a few extra TP for Devil Assault then I'm only a token farm away from TR, but that will undoubtedly still be very helpful.

Quote:
have you considered killing yourself, faggot

Is that anything like accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as my own personal savior? Because people seem to ask that question in about equal measure to this one.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 11:24am:
Gala, did you play 9dragons?

No, sorry. Somebody you know?

Bizbag wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:05pm:
An impulse item!

Since you're level 21 (thought you would be in heroics still), pick up a Radiance item as well if you like casting alignment and light based spells. Divine Punishment on bosses. The 3 spell power types for Cleric/Fvs builds are Impulse, Radiance and Positive.

As a Cleric, you can get away without picking up any Positive items until much higher level ranges, your Heal spell should fully heal everybody unless it's a Paladin/Fighter/Unyeilding Sentinel HP meat sack anyways.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Yea, same nick.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:39am:

Falchion always wins. 14-20x3 > 17-20x4

Riftmaker with headsman's is equivalent to falchion though if someone wants to sit at cap without crafting thunderforged. 18-20x5 +1 19-20

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
yeah, well, those faggots at Turbine started putting in 7 figure HP bosses, so what the fuck were we supposed to do; keep swinging away at them for a few hundred points of damage at a time?  LOL!  we had to go full nigger on DPS regardless of class, just so they can fucking nerf us for evolving according to the game they developed.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:10am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 10:20pm:
Falchion always wins. 14-20x3 > 17-20x4

Riftmaker with headsman's is equivalent to falchion though if someone wants to sit at cap without crafting thunderforged. 18-20x5 +1 19-20

It is not only about the crit range but about the Anvil of Thunder no save stun too. Sonic is more useful than fire damage also. Or lets put it like this: IF you happen to have mauls in stock use them in LD.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:16am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:10am:
It is not only about the crit range but about the Anvil of Thunder no save stun too. Sonic is more useful than fire damage also. Or lets put it like this: IF you happen to have mauls in stock use them in LD.

I wouldn't use either of those. 20% chance to stun trash every 12 seconds is meh. Besides, I've already got 8 active attacks on that build.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 6th, 2015 at 10:48pm:
I wouldn't use either of those. 20% chance to stun trash every 12 seconds is meh. Besides, I've already got 8 active attacks on that build.

Headman's chop, dual-weilding Dwarven axes, might as well take anvil: lern 2 DPS.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2015 at 11:29am by [] »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 11:28am:
Headman's chop, dual-weilding Dwarven axes, might as well take anvil: lern 2 DPS.

We were talking about THF pally...

I should probably just stop talking to you, but here you go. Pearls before swine.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1446957115/0#0

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
You're still better off with a great axe.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Bizbag wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:02am:
I'm playing a straight Cleric

And you ask why. Try BF THF pally or warlock to get the hang of things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint