Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Star Chucker or Xbow build? (Read 3854 times)
Camaro1k95
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Star Chucker or Xbow build?
Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I've tried both, and with recent changes... wondering if there is a generally accepted top-end DPS build for each of these?

Tried the Poppystar/Gun To A Knife Fight xbow builds, but that was before DWS changes.

Tried a few Star Chuckers, but I don't recall them being as good as the xbow builds.

Can anyone point to a build that would be good for a Completionist that wants to stick around in Epic content?

IP Logged

Flipton
Ex Member

Re: Star Chucker or Xbow build?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Chucker much more fun IMHO>

IP Logged

Camaro1k95
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Quote:
Chucker much more fun IMHO>

Can you recommend a build?

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Camaro1k95 wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:02am:
Can you recommend a build?

Firewall and Jakeelala both put great efford into their chuckers:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/466839-Snipercannon

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/452990-Shuricannon-2-0

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/463636-Some-New-Thrower-Builds?p=56613...

As far as I can tell Firewall likes to build more for damage on full range and every situation and less dependent on being in Point Blank Shot / Ranged Sneak Attack range. Jakeelala builds for maximum DPS.

I have a Shuricannon build I prefer when playing solo and a maximum sneak attack build (scion of the ethernal plain rocks on chuckers) I use in raids. But make sure to slot some hate reduction or tanks will have a hard time.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:14am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Fucking shuri is gay, mechs are retarded op but less stupid.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Repeaters = absolute zero DPS.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Like your penis.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:53am:
Like your penis.

Notice how I programmed you to have nothing BUT cock in your mind when you think of me?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
It's a weird question. In terms of power, perfectly geared and played at end game they are close to even, though I still find (mostly because I'm biased and it's all I play) that shuri's are more effective than xbows. I finally saw one of the better Khyber pure 20 Mechs playing in FoTW this weekend and I was sweating to stay ahead in kill count (though I still did handily). His Red Named Deeps may well have been higher, I do not know and haven't tested. Although, he has Greensteel, and I do not.

Here are the questions you should ask yourself:

1. Do you have better Int or Dex gear on the character?
2. Do you have mats to build either weapon, or do you have good named Xbows (as named Shurikens are shit)
3. Do you have good robes? ToEE set that lets you be centered? The highest DPS gear layout for a thrower right now is still ToEE set with ss/kama offhand.
4. Do you mind the incessant and incredibly irritating sound of crossbows as much as I do? I find them insanely annoying. Throwing is a much quieter affair.
5. The throwers these days are actually hybrid Monkcher/Throwers, so if you have good Bows that helps a lot too.

Depending on the answers to these questions, you should be able to decide pretty easily.

IP Logged

Camaro1k95
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:44pm:
It's a weird question. In terms of power, perfectly geared and played at end game they are close to even, though I still find (mostly because I'm biased and it's all I play) that shuri's are more effective than xbows. I finally saw one of the better Khyber pure 20 Mechs playing in FoTW this weekend and I was sweating to stay ahead in kill count (though I still did handily). His Red Named Deeps may well have been higher, I do not know and haven't tested. Although, he has Greensteel, and I do not.

Here are the questions you should ask yourself:

1. Do you have better Int or Dex gear on the character?
2. Do you have mats to build either weapon, or do you have good named Xbows (as named Shurikens are shit)
3. Do you have good robes? ToEE set that lets you be centered? The highest DPS gear layout for a thrower right now is still ToEE set with ss/kama offhand.
4. Do you mind the incessant and incredibly irritating sound of crossbows as much as I do? I find them insanely annoying. Throwing is a much quieter affair.
5. The throwers these days are actually hybrid Monkcher/Throwers, so if you have good Bows that helps a lot too.

Depending on the answers to these questions, you should be able to decide pretty easily.

I've had both.  The Pally XBow had a TON of HP which was nice.  The old Meteor Shower build (I think) with Wizard and Tensors was fun.  On the XBow, i've heard a lot about DWS over the Holy Sword now, or maybe both, so was wondering if there was a top-end build to go after.  My other throwers have been good, but HP or DPS always seemed lacking.

I have TF Shuriken & XBows, Greensteel (lvl 12), Spelltouched, etc.

I enjoyed the Pally Holy Sword Repeater and would do it again, but i have enough Shuriken to go that route if I can be pursueded.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
The game has changed a A LOT since I posted the original Meteor Shower, both for Throwers and Xbow builds.

If you're comfortable with Shuriken I would recommend trying the 12/6/2 build i have posted ont he main forums under Custom Classes, or just adapting it to my current, un-posted build which is 14 Monk/6 Ranger. It's basically the same as the 12/6/2 but a couple less feats, and more doubleshot. 

Or build an xbow build.

IP Logged

Camaro1k95
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
The game has changed a A LOT since I posted the original Meteor Shower, both for Throwers and Xbow builds.

If you're comfortable with Shuriken I would recommend trying the 12/6/2 build i have posted ont he main forums under Custom Classes, or just adapting it to my current, un-posted build which is 14 Monk/6 Ranger. It's basically the same as the 12/6/2 but a couple less feats, and more doubleshot. 

Or build an xbow build.

I was looking at that specific build.  It looks solid.  It was hard to tell with these balance passes if it was still current (I see it was updated in November).

What's your AC/HP look like?  That would probably be the deciding factor.  The Pally repeater build had 1k HP and Heavy armor.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:40pm by Camaro1k95 »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I enjoy the Xbows more, but it could be playstyle and the gear I have.

Either way, you'll have a ball.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
Either way, you'll have a ball.

Why you always talking about balls, faggot?

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:44pm:
It's a weird question. In terms of power, perfectly geared and played at end game they are close to even, though I still find (mostly because I'm biased and it's all I play) that shuri's are more effective than xbows.

Really good point Jak, I often wonder about that myself when I start really getting into a build.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint