Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) I would resubscribe if... (Read 21865 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: I would resubscribe if...
Reply #50 - May 27th, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 10:03am:
s/s/s would be just fine if they didn't limit the 3:1 swap to only Sands, and to only scrolls.  If it worked for all s/s/s in the game then you could finish your eSoS or whatever you're working on just by picking up lucky shards from wherever.  I know I have a pile of s/s/s for items I never intend to ever use use, much less upgrade.  Opening up the swaps would give them some value and also take note of the fact that upgrading an item to level 20 isn't such a big deal anymore.

Since they already have the tech in place for the 3:1 sands scroll swap it shouldn't take a huge amount of dev hours to make it all scrolls, seals, and shards also.

But Turbine has a fairly entrenched policy of never looking back at old content and making it relevant again, no matter what the means.  So this is just a thought experiment.

I agree.  Allowing even 5 to 1 swaps to get the shard or seal you want would be fine.  I do think that it should be pack specific.  Only trade Von seals and shards for Von seals and shards.  Same with fens, carnival, denieth, chrono, lod and sands. 

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #51 - May 27th, 2016 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 2:31pm:
I see where that is good for the people who want to be able to dissent and voice displeasure either with Turbine or with annoying fanboi paladins.  What is the benefit to Turbine of doing so?

Integrity is its own reward. 

Asheras wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 9:15am:
You haven't spent much time in corporate situations, particularly corporate IT situations, if you think that professionalism is equated to thick skin and amatuers are thin skinned.  The more professional, the bigger the ego and the less open to criticism.

My experience in Fortune 500 IT was different.

Professionalism was demonstrated through objective results, accountability for performance, and competence in your own area of expected expertise as well as an awareness and understanding of how your work influenced others.

Being good at your job also meant being receptive to criticism and continuously seeking opportunities for improvement in your own and other areas.  Thin skin was not a survival trait.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #52 - May 27th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:21am:
Integrity is its own reward. 

My experience in Fortune 500 IT was different.

Professionalism was demonstrated through objective results, accountability for performance, and competence in your own area of expected expertise as well as an awareness and understanding of how your work influenced others.

Being good at your job also meant being receptive to criticism and continuously seeking opportunities for improvement in your own and other areas.  Thin skin was not a survival trait.

I agree with you that this is how it should work.  That is certainly the way it is taught in colleges and in ITIL seminars, PMI seminars, and the way that professional organizations code of ethics suggest.  I have found pockets of that thinking and behavior in practice in business world.  I have tried to foster that atmosphere in the companies I manage.  I would not go so far as to say it is prevalent, however.

P.S.  Donald Trump would disagree with you that thin skin is not a survival trait.  He is on the verge of thin skinning his way to the White House.  He speaks of his thin skin with pride and uses it to justify some of his most offensive remarks. 

EDIT:  Also, your comments(and my response) speak at an employee/individual level.  But, for the business entity ,Turbine, what is the benefit?   
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2016 at 11:43am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #53 - May 27th, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:40am:
But, for the business entity ,Turbine, what is the benefit [of integrity]?   

Integrity leads to increased efficiency and profitability.

There's research that shows a positive correlation between the perception of integrity and performance.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=what%27s%20the%20business%20case%20for%20...

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#safe=off&q=how+expensive+is+integrity+for+b...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cherylsnappconner/2014/06/01/the-high-costs-and-best...

they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #54 - May 27th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 1:35pm:

You are making the assumption that more than 15-20% of the customer base reads the forums even briefly.  You are also making the assumption that all of that 15-20% view them as not having integrity based on their choice to limit forum feedback.  You are also making the assumption that there is no other method for communicating with Turbine that establishes integrity.

You are also assuming that Turbine hasn't already shot integrity all to hell with bug reporting, in game GM actions, product quality, design decisions, and informal word of mouth.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #55 - May 27th, 2016 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 4:29pm:
You are making the assumption that more than 15-20% of the customer base reads the forums even briefly.  You are also making the assumption that all of that 15-20% view them as not having integrity based on their choice to limit forum feedback.  You are also making the assumption that there is no other method for communicating with Turbine that establishes integrity.

You are also assuming that Turbine hasn't already shot integrity all to hell with bug reporting, in game GM actions, product quality, design decisions, and informal word of mouth.

I am not making any of the assumptions you ascribe to me.

IP Logged

Yojimbo
Ex Member

Reply #56 - May 27th, 2016 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I would re-up if they fixed the bugs, and lag.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #57 - May 27th, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
For me to resubscribe

2.  When they say Quality of Life fixes, actually fix something.

3.  Quit releasing half-assed product.  The quality of the product is utter crap.  Every release fails.  The data center move, fail.  Infinite Crisis, Fail.  Track record is not impressive.  Right now, the price I pay for the game is fine.  I cannot get aggravated for receiving a crap product, because I pay nothing for it.  Good product equals good money, bad product equals no money.

4.  Half-assed product covers a lot, but that loot pass, was terrible, especially if you are a rogue/artificer.  Seriously, try to find disable/tactful/burglar/open lock/search/whatever they are called item that is any good for a level 11 or less.

5.  Fine, so I can't find anything good for a low level such as Underwater Action, Everbright, or rogue gear.  I can use the Abomination that is called Cannith Crafting, more like Cannith Crapping.

6.  I don't know exactly how many different crafting devices there are anymore, but having more than two is ridiculous.  Actually I think one but I can live with Eldritch and Green Steel both existing.  Eldritch should be the universal one and if they were any good at programming, you just make a drop down selection window of what crafting you want to do.  That makes EVERY CRAFTING DEVICE in the game the same window, the end user just selected what they are crafting.  Which would still be too complicated because of the outright idiots that play the game and have no idea how a computer works.  Gee, whats a drop down menu?  What's a Radio Button?

7.  Blow up Cannith Crafting.  Just get rid of it.  Don't try and fix it.  Learn from its mistakes.  I am sure the programmer that is working on it, the same one that did the loot pass, oh god, it is going to be horse dung piled on cow dung piled on dog dung, and finally piled on cat dung.

And the number one reason for me to resubscribe

Don't make me BUY EXPANSION PACKS.  Or just change the name to Bend Over Packs.

If I am paying $120.00 per year, give me the game.  But to make me buy a newly worded item called EXPANSION PACKS because your business model and decisions are crap, well, I UNSUBSCRIBED AND CANCELED THAT CREDIT CARD to express my disdain on the business model.

I just wished that in 2009 I had quit paying.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2016 at 10:22pm by notajedi »  

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #58 - May 27th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 10:20pm:
I just wished that in 2009 I had quit paying.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - May 28th, 2016 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
I would re-up if they fixed the bugs, and lag.

Fanboi slumming in the vault... aisle 1!

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - May 28th, 2016 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 9:15am:
You haven't spent much time in corporate situations, particularly corporate IT situations, if you think that professionalism is equated to thick skin and amatuers are thin skinned.  The more professional, the bigger the ego and the less open to criticism. 

I agree it SHOULD work that way, but the reality of the corporate world is the exact opposite.  Particularly in technology where pissing contests, turf wars, NIH mentality and ego battles are de rigueur.

Ok, you're mixing a few things up here.
The question I answered was why should Turbine allow reasonable and honest feedback.
I responded on that basis.

This refers to the orgn being perceived as professional and competent.  The ORGN is perceived as amateurish and unprofessional.  The comments were about the perceived organisational behaviours.

I don't know the individuals, I don't follow their careers and care even less. I'm buying a service from an orgn and couldn't give a fuck about who they use to provide it.

Next you introduce Corp IT and I'm unclear as to why?
I don't work in IT, but I have worked in Corp.  I have many friends who do work in various sectors of IT, and I'm sorry you have that experience, but I tend to go with Old Coaly on this.
There are always bad eggs in ANY profession where egos rule, and I don't think IT is any worse, but this might just be your experience based on your profession.
I guess it comes down to the culture of the orgn.

Would Turbine be regarded as Corp IT?
Isn't Corp IT traditionally regarded as an internal service provider, or is that too narrow a view?
Turbine certainly would have IT people, but games development isn't mainstream IT is it?

Professionalism means egos and thin skinned.
In my experience, the more professional you are, the more confident you are in your own abilities that criticism is less likely to upset you and cause you to lash out at your customer.
Some of it may be justified, you take it onboard and learn.  Some of it may be unwarranted and you deal with it appropriately.
You don't normally black ban the client, sulk and run attack campaigns on someone because they criticised your knowingly sloppy and unprofessional work.  Or maybe you do in the orgns you have worked for.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #61 - May 30th, 2016 at 7:26am
Print Post  
DDO was never a game to me I considered worth a monthly fee. I got some premium stuff and that's it. Therefore no hard feelings here, it was great fun for a few bucks .. shame it no longer is.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #62 - May 30th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 1:19am:
like anyone who has been on for 10 years gets 10 Ottos boxes as a deep apology to the loyal players that play the game

That sounds like a start...

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - May 30th, 2016 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 10:19am:
I agree.  Allowing even 5 to 1 swaps to get the shard or seal you want would be fine.  I do think that it should be pack specific.  Only trade Von seals and shards for Von seals and shards.  Same with fens, carnival, denieth, chrono, lod and sands. 

That seems reasonable.  Checking my ing bag I see I have less than 5 of anything, so a 5:1 trade would still require some farming for me.  And the farm is mostly just luck anyway.  Which I don't object to.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #64 - May 30th, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
How many seals and shards we have in bags over the years ?
Hundreds ?
The rarest items for every bank alt instantly means even deader content.
Where's the fucking logic in that.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - May 30th, 2016 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 3:32pm:
The rarest items for every bank alt instantly means even deader content.

meh, maybe for you. I wouldnt run the shit unless offered carrot. you just love stick. Eastern Europe people used to suffering Grin
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2016 at 4:40pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #66 - May 30th, 2016 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 28th, 2016 at 3:12am:
Professionalism means egos and thin skinned.
In my experience, the more professional you are, the more confident you are in your own abilities that criticism is less likely to upset you and cause you to lash out at your customer.
Some of it may be justified, you take it onboard and learn.  Some of it may be unwarranted and you deal with it appropriately.
You don't normally black ban the client, sulk and run attack campaigns on someone because they criticised your knowingly sloppy and unprofessional work.  Or maybe you do in the orgns you have worked for.

There is a difference between being a professional vs. acting with professionalism.  I agree with your characterization of Professionalism.  Perhaps I interpreted the post that started this dialogue incorrectly.  That poster was ascribing Turbine as amateurs for certain personality traits.  I responded that many professionals show the same personality traits.  Professionalism is present in some professionals and some amateurs in every field.  It is not something that comes from whether you get paid or not.  It comes from within.  That was more my point.   

I have had the misfortune of working with professionals who display a lack of professionalism, as you have described, and have worked with some very professional coworkers, partners, and customers.  I have also had the opportunity to work as an instructor both in college as an adjunct professor and private education settings for fortune 500 companies and have often included lecturing on soft skills, such as professionalism, in my courses along with the technical material.  I think it is very important.  Often more important than your technical acumen.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #67 - May 30th, 2016 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 5:55pm:
There is a difference between being a professional vs. acting with professionalism.  I agree with your characterization of Professionalism.  Perhaps I interpreted the post that started this dialogue incorrectly.  That poster was ascribing Turbine as amateurs for certain personality traits.  I responded that many professionals show the same personality traits.  Professionalism is present in some professionals and some amateurs in every field.  It is not something that comes from whether you get paid or not.  It comes from within.  That was more my point.   

Turbine's treatment of their paying customers is unprofessional and lacks professionalism, as does their treatment of their IP and their cavalier attitude of "nothing that was done by anyone in the past has any value" and "IT best practices are super hard for us and our customers will keep paying anyway, so we don't need to bother with them".

They are clowns by any metric and their performance is indefensible.  This is true, regardless of whether or not other people in other businesses behave or fail to behave with any amount of professionalism.

They are demonstrably unqualified for the activities they engage in, therefore not "professional".   Their lack of skill in managing their relationship with their customers and developing or even maintaining their product, by definition, makes them amateurs.

That said, even though it's never too late to start acting with professionalism, it would take a lot more than one Update 6 for me to believe they were moving in the right direction.

IP Logged

ancient
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - May 31st, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 5:43pm:
It's justified when cordovan can and has ban game accounts for forum activities.

Cordovan and Chai were two of the main reasons I left...  Two years later, still think it was a great decision.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #69 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Kype wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 10:45pm:
Tell why you would resubscribe.

This thread is for those that have unsubscribed only.

Let Turbine know what they can do.

...I already did. But only for 2 months and strictly for the 10% XP bonus. It made me feel dirty, but I was about to burn a stone and applying every XP bonus around short of a bonus weekend.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #70 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 10:03am:
s/s/s would be just fine if they didn't limit the 3:1 swap to only Sands, and to only scrolls.  If it worked for all s/s/s in the game then you could finish your eSoS or whatever you're working on just by picking up lucky shards from wherever.  I know I have a pile of s/s/s for items I never intend to ever use use, much less upgrade.  Opening up the swaps would give them some value and also take note of the fact that upgrading an item to level 20 isn't such a big deal anymore.

Since they already have the tech in place for the 3:1 sands scroll swap it shouldn't take a huge amount of dev hours to make it all scrolls, seals, and shards also.

But Turbine has a fairly entrenched policy of never looking back at old content and making it relevant again, no matter what the means.  So this is just a thought experiment.

All fucking day, this.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I wouldn't sub for any reason at this point. I think I've mostly finally broken the addiction. Only logged on a couple times in the past few months and just ran a few quick quests and logged off bored. I just don't like any of the new stuff and the old stuff I've ran into the ground. It's just high time to remove my phallus from the pencil sharpener.

I have a very obsessive, addictive personality though and I have yet to fill the void and it is eating at me. I've tried a few games and had some fun, but nothing that grabbed me by the balls. Time will tell, I suppose, but for now I think I may be done.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #72 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
LordHumungus wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:11am:
I have a very obsessive, addictive personality though and I have yet to fill the void and it is eating at me. I've tried a few games and had some fun, but nothing that grabbed me by the balls. Time will tell, I suppose, but for now I think I may be done.

Congrats.

If you're after suggestions, I took up traveling, it's more fun than DDO ever was.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #73 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 2:00am
Print Post  
LordHumungus wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 12:11am:
I've tried a few games and had some fun, but nothing that grabbed me by the balls.

Try wrestling.  Grin

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Once Marty sees that, he'll be joining up.
It might take him awhile to realise that volunteering to always go on the mat isn't the way the sport is played....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint