Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need a good paladin build (Read 5756 times)
Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Need a good paladin build
Jun 10th, 2016 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Hello, i am planning to tr into paladin
i am thinking swf with bastard sword . i mostly want to be able to solo epics fast for item farming

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: Need a good paladin build
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
11 paladin, 6 fighter (take FTR at first two levels), 3 rogue (for UMD/ranged sneak attack, don't start taking ROG lvls until your last tomes kick in, faggot) elf AA: Fury for DPS or Shiradi for CC.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Vickas wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 7:50am:
Hello, i am planning to tr into paladin
i am thinking swf with bastard sword . i mostly want to be able to solo epics fast for item farming

Go pure, any fighting style is viable.

I prefer THF:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426045070/64#64

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
LOL "go pure" good one!

(He's trolling.)

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
What happened to the stickied instructions for putting "Blaine" on ignore?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:05am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:03am:

He's asking about the location of a sticky thread: tell me he's NOT trolling?!

IP Logged

Razaghan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Pure THF is a powerhouse, I used it a couple of years ago (I guess it just got stronger with the 28-30 powercreep)

I currently use a TWF 15 paladin / 5 ranger variant, with outstanding results.Highly recommended if you fancy TWF.

You need to have a DEX of 17 to qualify for ITWF and GTWF

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Razaghan wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:11am:
Pure THF is a powerhouse, I used it a couple of years ago (I guess it just got stronger with the 28-30 powercreep)

Admits it's outdated, and that he doesn't know what he's talking about (props for that), but this is still the kind of statement that can only be made by someone who doesn't know what REAL DPS is.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Pally TWF with bastard swords or Khopeshes is the way to go.  Pure 20, or 15/5 with ranger or 18/2 with ranger or fighter. 

SWF is non-optimal.

Here is where I would rank the builds suggested by DPS: (from best to worst)

TWF Pally/ranger
TWF Pally pure
THF Pally
SWF Pally
11 pally/junk Elf AA pally build

For survivability, the rankings would be: (Again, best on top, worst on bottom)

S&B Pally Pure
TWF/THF/SWF Pally pure
TWF Pally/ranger
11 Pally/junk Elf AA pally build

Ranking the people who have responded: (in terms of quality of build advice)

5FS - Plays the game, posts a lot of builds.  Not all are optimal, but none are going to be bad.  The worst case scenario is generally a "pretty good" build.
Asheras - Has been playing a pally on main for the last 8-9 months.  Solos LE with no problem.  Been playing since 2008.  Posting here and on main boards.
Razaghan - Clearly currently playing (and playing a pally).  Has experience with pallys.  Not well known or high post count. 
Blaine (Aka KNN, P4P, Chuck Norris, HAL, Tong Po, Least Interesting Poster, etc, etc.) - Has not played in 8 months.  Not aware of any changes since them in gear, mechanics.  (Cap was 28 back when he played.  AA has been completely revamped, as has manyshot)  Only ever played a weak Fighter/FvS Elven AA build.  Only ever recommends some Elven AA build, regardless of what the poster is looking for.  Advice is generally outdated and bad.  Quit the game over nerf rage.  Nuff said. 

IP Logged

Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Well i was thinking SWF since i have a spinal tap,but i didnt tohught the option to go twf with bastards swords are rly effective since i dont see anyone using them for twf .the 15/5 pala ranger split seems very interesting overall i have to say
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:46am by Vickas »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
TLDR: heroics = fuck it, go melee.  epics = nigga please, ranged.

IP Logged

Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:48am
Print Post  
after 3 lifes as ranged i need a small break Cheesy i am pure ranger DWS and i rly hate soloing having to line up mobs to dps them down

Asheras thx for the detailed post btw
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:51am by Vickas »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Vickas wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:48am:
after 3 lifes as ranged i need a small break Cheesy i am pure ranger DWS and i rly hate soloing having to line up mobs to dps them down

Asheras thx for the detailed post btw

If you're just doing the PL's, fuck it: go pure and melee your ass off.

IP Logged

Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I always do 1-2 Epics PL's before tr again  so i want to enjoy that build and be viable for raids and farming items for other lifes.
If i wanted a build only for 1-20 i could go pure and not bother at all looking for a build

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
The paladin/monk/fighter combos (various flavors) are pretty awesome at tanking/meleeing: lot's of feats, self healing, and a ton of HP.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Vickas wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:41am:
Well i was thinking SWF since i have a spinal tap,but i didnt tohught the option to go twf with bastards swords are rly effective since i dont see anyone using them for twf .the 15/5 pala ranger split seems very interesting overall i have to say

Bastard swords generally have a slightly higher die step, but a weaker crit profile.  They aren't a bad option, but they aren't optimal at this time.  The Spinal Tap is a nice weapon, though, and adds some effects that add DPS that offsets the crit profile. 

You see fewer Bastard Sword users these days because crafted weapons have come back in epics and there is a good named Khopesh (Bleeding Edge).  Prior to the Thunderholme pack, the CiTW weapons were what most folks were using for twf.  That meant Balizarde, Nightmare (bastard sword), and Celestia, for the most part.  The only decent named khopesh beyond alchemicals, were the drow weapons master blades.  The lack of good named blades overshadowed the crit profile advantages of Khopesh. 

Now you can generally use GS at 11, Alchemical (at 18), Drow Weapons Master (At 21), TF (starting at 22, but probably 24), LGS (At 26) and craft what you want and roll to cap.  Using named blades in there where appropriate.  That allowed folks to go back to min/maxing based on crit profiles.  You see more of the Khopesh, Scimitar, Rapier emphasis from back when cap was 16 or 20.    (Although, some enhancement trees make dagger, Short Sword, Staff, etc viable as well)

For you specifically, You can make a Tier 2 TF bastard sword with minimal effort (400 ingots, 300 comms of valor, 25 fire dragon scales, and 75 shadow dragon scales.  If you need mats, I'm sure there is someone here who can hook you up on your server.  If it is Khyber, PM me).  It will have an ML of 26 and have whatever T1 feature you want and the Dragon's Edge at tier 2.  Pair that with your Spinal Tap.  (A Tier 1 blade with ML 24 can be made for 80 ingots and 60 Comms)

The TWF vs. SWF discussion is mainly because SWF lags a bit behind TWF in DPS.  Not that SWF is not viable.  It's just not optimal.

(P.S.  Bastard sword has an advantage over Khopesh in S&B and SWF instances because it can act like a two handed weapon and proc glancing blows.  That can be a small DPS boost)
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:08pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Unluckily i dont have the mats its not tha easy to find raids thought the past weeks was not that bad. I am on Orien not high population i dont even had the mats to make a tier 2 bow for my ranger.
i could try farm the khopeshes before tr or during my leveling to 30
i am overall still noob at ddo i am playing for 7-8 months with some breaks between since the low pop wich got me frustrated as new player back then to figure out what to do ,

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Vickas wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:12pm:
Unluckily i dont have the mats its not tha easy to find raids thought the past weeks was not that bad. I am on Orien not high population i dont even had the mats to make a tier 2 bow for my ranger.
i could try farm the khopeshes before tr or during my leveling to 30
i am overall still noob at ddo i am playing for 7-8 months with some breaks between since the low pop wich got me frustrated as new player back then to figure out what to do ,

I'd make the T1's then.  They require no fire scales or shadow scales.  Just the ingots and the Comms.  The ingots can be had on the AH pretty easily or found in the adventure area rare chests.  You should be able to get to 80 of those pretty quickly.

If you are thinking of switching to Khopeshes, you might also want to farm the Demon Assault quest in Amrath.   The Bleeding Edge ( http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Bleeding_Edge) drops in there and is a nice blade.  It has vamprism, which given a Pally's generally high Hamp, is a nice effect to have.  Along with some strong DPS and two slots.  So you can add some DPS with those two slots or just add some DR Breaking.  Demon Assault is a pretty easy farm.  The mob waves are never more than a handful.  Plenty of shrines.  The end boss does have DR/Good, so make sure you have a good weapon, otherwise, the final fight goes slowly and can get a little hectic with the respawning trash. 

The other nice thing about the TF weapons is that they are metalline.  And come with a red slot.  So if you just slot a Good augment (available from Lahar in the Twelve) then you can break just about any DR in the game.  (Unless it is bludgeoning or piercing DR, for example).

EDIT:  Also, maybe post in the Orien Marketplace here on this forum or on the DDO Forums.  I'd bet some vet that wants to help newer players would throw you some ingots. 
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 12:53pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Vickas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Thx a lot for the help and the info omw to get thoose khopeshes i dont think i will have any issues to solo.
I will try get some ingots but seems very expensive to buy with astral shards and there are 0 in normal auction house anyway your posts are very useful!!

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that T1 TF stays unbound, so you can recoup at least some of the cost by reselling it once you're finished with it.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
get a toee set if you have shrooms and armor. the weapon is easy part. Or make lgs vacuum, radiance, or affirmation.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 10th, 2016 at 11:03am:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1445356945

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
15pal/5ranger twf is very good. pure is also very good

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I'm enjoying a pure 20 paladin sword and board build right now. In the late heroics it was really amazing, in epics I think I'm a bit under-geared but am still doing well. Lots of AC, lots of PRR. The damage isn't amazing but the survivability is a breath of fresh air.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Razaghan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I' ve done a video of my 15/5 in LE Search and Rescue. It is not a speed-run/awesomesauce run but you should be able to get an idea of DPS/survivability. (was using LGS affirmation + ToEE set, didn't have vacuum yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQ9nMQzKMA

Also made an EE Cabal Hobgoblin Takedown in 9 seconds. Has been done in 7 by the same split, but featured a vacuum khopesh. I have just finished mine, this vid was with just affirmation + ToEE again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEz-8U9fKg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint