Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Looking for a wizard past life build (Read 3688 times)
Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Looking for a wizard past life build
Jul 2nd, 2016 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Hey all.

After my lock life i feel like I should do a wizard life (and probably feel horribly underpowered in comparison). My experience is mostly with melee builds so I feel I should try the real wizard experience.

The things i'm looking for in this build:
-Non iconic, I would like to get both an epic past life and an heroic past life out of this
-Should be able to handle heroic elite. Epic play is not a concern as i'll just join the xp train.
-Multiclassing is an option but I would like it to atleast feel like a wizard.

What I've been toying around with:
*Pale trapper (18 wiz/2 rogue) my concern with this one is that I won't be able to kill undead easily. It seems pretty self sufficient though.
*Wizard 20 enchantment focussed archmage. The problem with this build seems to be the self sufficiency and the dps. Being able to stun everything is great but do I have the dps to take down red named?

Are the above viable for heroic elite and what should I do to compensate  for their weaknesses? I have no fvs/sorc/wiz past lives so no extra SP/spell pen. I do have a torc and conc op item lying around.

As I said, I have no real experience with casters (I don't feel warlock counts) so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: Looking for a wizard past life build
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
You type like a complete faggot: you must be another Remi sock.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Invis + run --> Firewall. Invis is optional.
It's heroics. Don't overthink it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:36pm:
Invis + run --> Firewall. Invis is optional.
It's heroics. Don't overthink it.

Fair enough. Guess I should just use any AoE and zerg strategy

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
RV had this, but I'll toss this out for funsies:

If you have Warforged:

Mage-Rogue 18/2 split.

Everything in Archmage, Evocation or maybe Conjuration focus for more DPS. Get the Evocation SLA's, all of which can be Metamagic'd for free (including the Arcane Bolt/ Blast). Spam the crap out of those SLA's and use Repair-(X) and Recontruct as necessary.

Don't forget to take the Insightful Reflexes feat. (I took it at Lvl 1)

If NOT:

Human Pale-Trapper. Wiz-Rogue 18/2 split,

Trick is to put enough in Pale Master to get the Undead forms (Wraith is ideal, but Vampire can do in a pinch, and the shroud is cooler looking, IMHO) anything spent past that is a mug's game, since there's so many Undead in game you'll be crippled for DPS.

Spam Negative Energy Burst and Death Aura for self-heals in Undead form. You can buy Inflict Serious Pots at the House Jorasco Apothecary as well, for emergencies.

Watch out for Searing Light, since you'll take a pounding from Light damage in Undead form (PM enhancements and Murky items can mitigate this somewhat, but not all of it).

Shroud of the Abbot robe (HaHa) or that new belt from Search and Rescue quest in Eveningstar are great items for PMs with their Boon of Undeath ability.

After that, same applies to Pale-Trapper as Archmage, jam all your remaining point into Archmage DPS and enjoy the self-healing solo zerg. Don't forget the Insightful Reflexes.

Fair Warning: Splashing a Wizard is agony. By Lvl 7 you'll likely be looking to buy an XP stone just to be shut of it. It gets better, but it never matches a Sorc or Warlock for DPS.

Foot Note: Heightened Web is sick CC. Forget Disco Inferno (Otto's Sphere of Dancing + Firewall). You CAN lay Fiewalls on top of Webs.  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2016 at 4:12pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 4:07pm:
that new belt from Search and Rescue

With this thing, you can sit in the middle of combat, even in vampire form. Sometimes you don't even have to bother casting the aura for heals. I recently ran a mule up to 20, pure Wiz. At 13, the hat from Memoirs eclipses all other gear. At 15, with Wraith/displace, the belt, and aura ticking, I seriously wound up forgetting to look at my toon's HP bar.

For shits & giggles, I got Int to hit from Harper, threw 2 AP into the skellie, and sat in the middle of a circle beating on mobs with my caster stick & a buckler. Great for something to do on commercial breaks. I wasn't trying to run at-level though, just cleaning up xp from Gianthold, etc. Almost died a couple times, because I didn't notice the aura'd run out. It wasn't sudden. It was me noticing the toon was at half HP and then going, "WTF? I have a HP bar? Wait, why's it not refilling?" Then 10-15 seconds of it slowly creeping down to 1/4, before I remembered I hadn't cast the aura. That killed me I think, twice.

The past couple updates have seen a clear power boost for casters.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 12:26am
Print Post  
RV had this, but I'll toss this out for funsies:

If you have Warforged:

Mage-Rogue 18/2 split.

Everything in Archmage, Evocation or maybe Conjuration focus for more DPS. Get the Evocation SLA's, all of which can be Metamagic'd for free (including the Arcane Bolt/ Blast). Spam the crap out of those SLA's and use Repair-(X) and Recontruct as necessary.

Don't forget to take the Insightful Reflexes feat. (I took it at Lvl 1)

If NOT:

Human Pale-Trapper. Wiz-Rogue 18/2 split,

Trick is to put enough in Pale Master to get the Undead forms (Wraith is ideal, but Vampire can do in a pinch, and the shroud is cooler looking, IMHO) anything spent past that is a mug's game, since there's so many Undead in game you'll be crippled for DPS.

Spam Negative Energy Burst and Death Aura for self-heals in Undead form. You can buy Inflict Serious Pots at the House Jorasco Apothecary as well, for emergencies.

Watch out for Searing Light, since you'll take a pounding from Light damage in Undead form (PM enhancements and Murky items can mitigate this somewhat, but not all of it).

Shroud of the Abbot robe (HaHa) or that new belt from Search and Rescue quest in Eveningstar are great items for PMs with their Boon of Undeath ability.

After that, same applies to Pale-Trapper as Archmage, jam all your remaining point into Archmage DPS and enjoy the self-healing solo zerg. Don't forget the Insightful Reflexes.

Fair Warning: Splashing a Wizard is agony. By Lvl 7 you'll likely be looking to buy an XP stone just to be shut of it. It gets better, but it never matches a Sorc or Warlock for DPS.

Foot Note: Heightened Web is sick CC. Forget Disco Inferno (Otto's Sphere of Dancing + Firewall). You CAN lay Fiewalls on top of Webs.  Wink

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to type it out. The web/firewall trick sounds like a good one to keep in mind.

If you'd go human could you easily get UMD up for heal scrolls or is it simply not worth it?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:39pm:
For shits & giggles, I got Int to hit from Harper, threw 2 AP into the skellie, and sat in the middle of a circle beating on mobs with my caster stick & a buckler. Great for something to do on commercial breaks. I wasn't trying to run at-level though, just cleaning up xp from Gianthold, etc. Almost died a couple times, because I didn't notice the aura'd run out. It wasn't sudden. It was me noticing the toon was at half HP and then going, "WTF? I have a HP bar? Wait, why's it not refilling?" Then 10-15 seconds of it slowly creeping down to 1/4, before I remembered I hadn't cast the aura. That killed me I think, twice.

Nowq that sounds like a ton of fun... But first i'll have to get past the single digits.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 3rd, 2016 at 10:39pm:
For shits & giggles, I got Int to hit from Harper, threw 2 AP into the skellie, and sat in the middle of a circle beating on mobs with my caster stick & a buckler.

You're a sick man.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 6:15am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 1:31am:
You're a sick man.

It was cathartic. Penance for collecting caster sticks in the first place.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Swash it?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:46am:
Swash it?

If you care about time, then you should just zerg + AoE. If you want to melee as a build focus, that's something different, and you're probably better off splashing Wiz, or avoiding it entirely. EK sucks balls for actual melee.

Imo, you certainly don't need Bard. You probably lose less if you just take the SWF feats on a pure Wiz. or 18 Wiz./2 Monk or Rogue (or even Fighter, but then you'd be pretty tempted to go 3).

I haven't tried a Bard/Wiz. split, but at first impression it seems to have much more synergy for sonic & enchantment than melee. You may consider that a challenge, though  Smiley

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:46am:
Swash it?

I would but I have the policy of trying out a signature class playstyle (so i'll splash 6 rogue for a ranged arti but not go with a past life template). Since I never really did spellcasting (warlock hartdly counts) I felt I should try it and ask for some input.

That does not take away from the fact that the swash pastlife template works perfectly fine for heroics. I just don't want my past lives to feel too much like ticking off boxes.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
or that new belt from Search and Rescue quest in Eveningstar 

What's the drop rate like on that belt? I've burned dozens of hours searching for certain items in some of the new chains. The belt looks awesome, but not if I have to run the question 300 times to get it. (fuck you so hard Barbette's Bracers)

Revaulting wrote on Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:59pm:
(or even Fighter, but then you'd be pretty tempted to go 3).

I was actually just considering doing an 18 wizard/2 fighter split. Why would you go 3 fighter instead of 2?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 4:06pm:
Why would you go 3 fighter instead of 2?

If you're trying to melee, the stance starts to look worthwhile.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 7:11pm:
If you're trying to melee, the stance starts to look worthwhile.

That would make sense.

My idea is to melee while spamming SLAs and using Death Aura and Negative Energy Burst. I dunno how effective it'll be but it sounds like fun.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 12:47pm:
My idea is to melee while [...] using Death Aura and Negative Energy Burst.

Yes.

My idea is to melee while spamming SLAs

No.

how effective it'll be

No.

it sounds like fun.

YMMV.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Mixing magic and melee DPS has been dead for years and turbine seems intent on making it even deader with increasingly specialized gear and stacking bonuses requiring multiple gear slots.  Not even melee-locks are decent, except to fuel trees. 
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2016 at 7:56pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Especially for heroics where instakillis are no fail with good 10 DC reserve and fb, dbf or otiluke clear rooms easier than ever.
Splash one or two rogue levels if you really care that much but melee or any kind of dumb multilclass on heroic caster is rather dumb.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
There's apparently a good melee spellcaster build in 18 sorcerer/2 paladin, but I am in the market for a wizrd.

AtomicMew wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 7:55pm:
Mixing magic and melee DPS has been dead for years and turbine seems intent on making it even deader with increasingly specialized gear and stacking bonuses requiring multiple gear slots.  Not even melee-locks are decent, except to fuel trees. 

I'm not disagreeing, but the recent addition of the Eldritch Knight tree would tend to support the notion that they were at least trying.

That's kind of where I was going with the split. 2-3 fighter gives you a nice collection of feats to work with, and a few points spent in Eldrich Knight should give you enough melee capability to get the job done, while still leaving enough wizard levels to do some spellcasting. Death Aura affects nearbye targets, so if you're in undead mode, displaced, etc, well it all looks like it should be viable.

Maybe not top-tier, but playable and fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint