Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) USP Shiradi Harper Mage (Read 14022 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: USP Shiradi Harper Mage
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:55am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 7:31pm:
It's more like 25% if both quicken everything, but that's still huge.

Even if it were that much (I doubt it, feel free to offer proof with a video, I'm curious on the exact casting speed differences as well) the raw DPS shiradi wizards have over shiradi sorcs now is more than that, flat out.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 5:15pm:
There is a universal cool down after every spell.

You do realize that cooldown does not equal casting time? Cooldown can limit rate of fire, but that is why we optimize rotations.

AtomicMew wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:55am:
Even if it were that much (I doubt it, feel free to offer proof with a video, I'm curious on the exact casting speed differences as well)

I don't do videos, but I intend to look into it. I will need to test rotations of spells though. Casting the same spell over and over would just be a measure of the cooldown.

Optimized DPS rotations would be very different for each, and that would be counterproductive in trying to nail down the base rate of fire difference. I think I will pick 9 commonly used spells, spam them in order and try to determine a spells per minute rate for Sorc vs Wiz.

Magic Missile-Scorching Ray-Chain Missiles-Force Missiles-Frost Lance-Fireball-Acid Blast-Delayed Blast Fireball-Sonic Blast

No 8th or 9th spells since I will have to use Iconic testers unless the stars align for Lamannia.

AtomicMew wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:55am:
the raw DPS shiradi wizards have over shiradi sorcs now is more than that, flat out.

Yeah, the numbers are going to be bigger, and that's great if you're building for SP efficiency. My premise here is that the conventional wisdom "best" shiradi nuker (Gold or whatever similar) is actually hedging some DPS for a favorable damage to SP ratio, whereas I'm thinking that if I burn SP twice as fast I can get maybe 10-20% more damage.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You do realize that cooldown does not equal casting time? Cooldown can limit rate of fire, but that is why we optimize rotations.

I'm talking about the period after your spell where you can't take any other action (besides moving).  I dunno what it's called, aftercast delay maybe? 

Quote:
Yeah, the numbers are going to be bigger, and that's great if you're building for SP efficiency. My premise here is that the conventional wisdom "best" shiradi nuker (Gold or whatever similar) is actually hedging some DPS for a favorable damage to SP ratio, whereas I'm thinking that if I burn SP twice as fast I can get maybe 10-20% more damage.

Well good luck with that.  But when your ruin/greater ruins are critting less frequently and for half compared to a T5 archmage build, it seems like a non-starter to me.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:19pm:
My premise here is that the conventional wisdom "best" shiradi nuker (Gold or whatever similar) is actually hedging some DPS for a favorable damage to SP ratio

what lead you to that conclusion? the way i see it is the entire build is maxed on dps. the only ap that isnt is just rewards and healing. Even then just rewards allows for infi missile spam and aura doubles as proc chances.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
ICBM 2.0

Race: Warforged/Bladeforged
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Class: 18 Sorcerer/1 Monk/1 Favored Soul

MFSSS SSSSS SSSSS SSSSS

Stats:...... (36 pt build)

Strength.............8
Dexterity.............8
Constitution........20
Intelligence........20 + level ups
Wisdom.............10
Charisma............6

Feat Progression

WFSSS SSSSS SSSSS SSSSS

Level 1   : Insightful Reflexes
Level 1M : Dodge
Level 3   : Completionist
Level 6   : Maximize Spell
Level 9   : Empower Spell
Level 12 : Quicken Spell
Level 15 : Mental Toughness
Level 18 : Improved Mental Toughness
Level 21 : Epic Mental Toughness
Level 24 : Intensify Spell
Level 26 : Epic Force Spellpower
Level 27 : Ruin
Level 28 : Hellball
Level 29 : Arcane Pulse
Level 30 : Greater Ruin
Level 30L: Scion of the Plane of Fire

Enhancements

Fire Savant: 31 AP (75 Fire, 20 USP, 8% fire crit)

Core 5/6
Conflagration 3/3
Spell Critical: Fire I-IV (8 pts)
Fanning the Flames 2/3
One w/ Inferno 3/3
Pierce Fire Resist 3/3 (6 pts)
Efficient Metamagic 2/3 (4 pts)

Harper: 38 AP (47 USP)

Core 5/6 (7 pts)
Harper Enchantment (2 pts)
Traveler's Toughness 3/3
Versatile Adept I 3/3
Magical Endurance 3/3
Highly Skilled 3/3
Versatile Adept II 3/3
INT +1
INT +1
Versatile Adept III 3/3
Harper Enchantment of Magic (2 pts)
Versatile Adept IV 3/3
Magic of Patience (2 pts)

Angel of Vengeance: 6 AP (30 fire/force, 2% crit)

Core 1/6
Scourge 3/3
Smiting (2 pts)

Henshin: 1 AP (5 fire, 5 force, 1% crit fire/force)

Core 1/6

Racial: 4 AP

Core 1/5
Inscribed Armor 1/3
Mechanist 1/3

Epic Destiny: Shiradi Champion

Healing Spring 3/3
Illusion of Well Being 1/3

Prism (2 pts)
Fey Form 3/3
Fey Spring 3/3

Rainbow (2 pts)

Double Rainbow (2 pts)
Elemental Absorption 3/3

Nerve Venom 3/3
Stand and Deliver (2 pts)

Twists:

Energy Burst
Evocation Familiarity
Empyrean Magic

Spells:

FvS 1
Remove Fear
Protection from Evil

Sorc 1
Jump
Magic Missile
Shield
Sonic Blast

Scorching Ray
Resist Energy
Knock
False Life

Chain Missiles
Fireball
Displacement
Acid Blast

Force Missiles
Wall of Fire
Dimension Door
Repair Critical

Cloudkill
Cyclonic Blast
Eladar's Electric Surge
Teleport

Necrotic Ray
Reconstruct
Acid Fog

Delayed Blast Fireball
Waves of Exhaustion
Mass Protection from Elements

Incendiary Cloud
Power Word Stun

Meteor Swarm

Core spells:

Single:
Magic Missile
Scorching Ray
Force Missiles

AoE:
Meteor Swarm
Chain Missiles
Fireball
Acid Blast
Delayed Blast Fireball
Hellball
Energy Burst

Camping:
Incendiary Cloud
Cloudkill
Acid Fog
Wall of Fire

Nuke:
Ruin
Greater Ruin
Arcane Pulse
Eladar's

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm:
I'm talking about the period after your spell where you can't take any other action (besides moving).  I dunno what it's called, aftercast delay maybe? 

Global cooldown is not an issue. It is one second. The shortest cooldown is 1.5, and reduced by familiarity and alacrity it is 1.125 seconds.AtomicMew wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm:
Well good luck with that.  But when your ruin/greater ruins are critting less frequently and for half compared to a T5 archmage build, it seems like a non-starter to me.

The uptime is low and the proc is random...I'd rather the supreme AoE of Meteor Swarm.

Rubbinns wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:17pm:
what lead you to that conclusion? the way i see it is the entire build is maxed on dps. the only ap that isnt is just rewards and healing. Even then just rewards allows for infi missile spam and aura doubles as proc chances.

I see 20 AP just in metamagic reducers...

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 7:17pm:
I see 20 AP just in metamagic reducers...

and? what else are you going to spend in those trees to get to higher tiers? maybe, 60 more spell points, 2 points of int and 2 charisma? lelkek. The aov and archmage points are 1:1 usp anyhow.

srzly breh. sometimes youre a little silly.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:45pm by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:34am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 7:17pm:
The uptime is low and the proc is random...I'd rather the supreme AoE of Meteor Swarm.

I'm not talking about arcane supremacy.  Calc ruin/g. ruin differnces between your build and an archmage build. 

Your damage scales are way off.  Meteor swarm is marginally better than hellball double procs and marginally better than magic missile vs single target.  Meanwhile all your spells are way weaker, all your epic spells (which now account for a large portion of your DPS) are way weaker. 

Your single target DPS is way lower by ~40% probably, and it's not even clear you're doing more AOE dps. 

You aren't going to beat archmage by investing in harper for 1.2 spellpower per AP....
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:35am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #33 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:43pm:
srzly breh. sometimes youre a little silly.

"sometimes", a "little", "silly".

dying over here

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #34 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:34am:
Your single target DPS is way lower by ~40% probably, and it's not even clear you're doing more AOE dps. 

I don't know what you're smoking here. Meteor Swarm is the best shiradi spell in the game (8 AoE procs, 4 with no save.) and this build has better chain missiles without wasting slots on Abishai garbage. Nothing could make your supposed 40% difference. Even Arcane Supremacy is only a few % overall when you average it out.

Anyway, I did the quicken spell rate of fire test. I got 62 spells per minute on the Sorc and 56 spells per minute on the Wizard. Not as wide as I initially speculated, but still ~10% is a big deal at this level of optimization.

I see what you were saying about the global cooldown now. Standard cast time sorc spells are significantly shorter than the cooldown so almost all of the RoF benefit is wasted unless you are casting a spell with an abnormally long cast time. (It still makes it easier to run and gun on a sorc though, I'm not sure if most people realize that.) The thing is, I wasn't able to include Meteor Swarm in the test rotation, and that was a mistake. Not only because it is the best shiradi spell and you want to cast it as often as possible if you have it in actual questing, but because it has an abnormally long cast time. So comparing rate of fire of rotations with MS in them should be significantly more than 10% in favor of Sorc.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
chain miss is best shiradi spell, by far and away. 4 out of 8 of swarm's hits are subject to evasion. 0 of chain missile

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
CL 18 Chain has an edge if there are exactly 2 evasion mobs. A 10 sorc build would only have CL 14 though, right? So it's 8 hits vs 8 hits in that rare outlier case.

MS # of hits per mob evasion/standard
1 mob  = 4/8
2 mobs = 8/16
3 mobs = 12/24
4 mobs = 16/32
5 mobs = 20/40
6 mobs = 24/48

CM # of hits per mob CL 14/CL 18
1 mob  = 1/1
2 mobs = 8/10
3 mobs = 8/10
4 mobs = 8/10
5 mobs = 8/10
6 mobs = 8/10

AoE wins.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:11pm:
CL 18 Chain has an edge if there are exactly 2 evasion mobs.

or just vs one mob w evasion and 2 without.

Edit: im wrong/ meteor would be 8/8/4. vs chain at 1/cl/cl. Not taking into account positioning of mobs. Chain has a much, much, much, much, much, much, much bigger area than almost any other spell I tried. Havent tested chain lit on lama, but i did test goldies build there. It is possible to hit 7 out of 8 of the kobolds in the basement depending on where you fire chain miss from. note that is 2 separate packs of 4 in 2 rooms. a "L" shape area. Swarm is fireball area.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:49pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:11pm:
A 10 sorc build would only have CL 14 though

cl 15 w doj gloves.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 12:18pm:
I don't know what you're smoking here. Meteor Swarm is the best shiradi spell in the game (8 AoE procs, 4 with no save.) and this build has better chain missiles without wasting slots on Abishai garbage. Nothing could make your supposed 40% difference. Even Arcane Supremacy is only a few % overall when you average it out.

Arcane supremacy is 12% iirc "averaged out".  But of course no one "averages out" arcane supremacy, they load it up with wellspring of power/spellpower boosts/ruins/g. ruins/hellball/death auras etc.  That's on top of innately higher crit rate, crit damage and spellpower.  As I said earlier, MOK is roughly equivalent to ~300 spellpower. 

I was under the impression that meteor swarm was 4 procs, not 8, based on some earlier testing - I wasn't able to find multiple sonic procs per meteor in the combat log.  My testing wasn't extensive and was a long time ago, so feel free to do some additional testing. 

Just because there's 8 numbers, doesn't mean there's 8 procs; for example, hellball gets only 1 proc (or 2, if you use "features") despite having 3-4 damage numbers.  So it would be consistent if meteor swarm was 4 procs (but Turbine, so maybe not consistent?)

Quote:
Anyway, I did the quicken spell rate of fire test. I got 62 spells per minute on the Sorc and 56 spells per minute on the Wizard. Not as wide as I initially speculated, but still ~10% is a big deal at this level of optimization.

Thanks for doing this.  As I said, wizard gets more than that in straight up damage.  So let's say 15% on the total rotation if you include meteor swarm, that still puts the 17 wiz/3 FvS ahead of the 18/1/1 sorc split. 
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:44pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #40 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:21pm:
or just vs one mob w evasion and 2 without.

I think you missed something.

AtomicMew wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:36pm:
Arcane supremacy is 12% iirc "averaged out".

I was under the impression that it is more like 6%.

But of course no one "averages out" arcane supremacy,

That's fair, but since the proc is random, the burst damage isn't very useful since you can't save it for when you need it.

As I said earlier, MOK is roughly equivalent to ~300 spellpower.

How do you account the DPS lost by spamming Arcane Bolt/Blast instead of real spells?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 4:58pm:
That's fair, but since the proc is random, the burst damage isn't very useful since you can't save it for when you need it.

90 seconds isnt really random. MM, Cm, Scorching ray can all proc it. every 90 seconds.

I think you missed something.

yeah i edited that comment before you posted your reply. guess you had it quoted before i hit edit.

Quote:
Edit: im wrong/ meteor would be 8/8/4. vs chain at 1/cl/cl. Not taking into account positioning of mobs. Chain has a much, much, much, much, much, much, much bigger area than almost any other spell I tried. Havent tested chain lit on lama, but i did test goldies build there. It is possible to hit 7 out of 8 of the kobolds in the basement depending on where you fire chain miss from. note that is 2 separate packs of 4 in 2 rooms. a "L" shape area. Swarm is fireball area.

CM also hits targets behind you. im not too sure that it isnt a wide 360 area

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
How do you account the DPS lost by spamming Arcane Bolt/Blast instead of real spells?

multi stacks off breakables and vs groups of trash. then throw in one of them every 6 seconds to keep it up. not really that hard.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #43 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:46pm:
MM, Cm, Scorching ray can all proc it. every 90 seconds.

That's the problem, you can't really hold it back without piking.

Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:46pm:
M also hits targets behind you. im not too sure that it isnt a wide 360 area

Yes, Chain Missiles is very good. It's not like I'm not going to be casting it. Every 2 seconds.

Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:51pm:
multi stacks off breakables and vs groups of trash.

Not always available.

Rubbinns wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 5:51pm:
then throw in one of them every 6 seconds to keep it up. not really that hard.

So at least 1/5 of spell casts.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 10th, 2016 at 7:14pm:
That's the problem, you can't really hold it back without piking.

or, you know, just like, count to 90 and time it?

Not always available.

groups of trash?

So at least 1/5 of spell casts.

yes. or less with better management. In shroud spawns are usually x3 under portals allowing you to once every 18 seconds. Easy to build vs portals. I mean, for 300 spellpower I'd swap to a purple thong cosmetic evry 3 seconds if i had to. (totally not gay!)

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 2:19am
Print Post  

Hit Dire Charge or cast Mass Hold, go on cool down 1 second
Cast Arcane blast for MoK, go on cool down 1 second
Cast something for Empyrian, go on cool down 1 second

Ok guys lasers are charged!

Wait, where did all the mobs go? Dammit all my lasers are cooling down!

If you are in a raid with constant combat for 10 mins at a time, or soloing, well sure. The rest of the game though, by the time you count to 3 and debuffed/charged lasers, the mobs are already dead.

Oh, and MS hits multiple times, but my fuzzy memory was that MS does 1 shiradi proc chance at the start. So CM always wins. Unless you are fire savant core 12, which gives a second proc chance at burning stack application.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425269-The-Scorcher-(WF-18-Sorc-2-Fvs-...)

Oh, and CM is always 10 missiles as far as I know regardless of CL, although it might have a very small AoE on some part of it, and some others claim more vs. groups based on CL.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2016 at 2:50am by »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
very small AoE

largest aoe in the game, ever. It's probably a huge 360 radius, and I know it is larger than dbf or warlock aura/burst.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #47 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:36am:
largest aoe in the game, ever. It's probably a huge 360 radius, and I know it is larger than dbf or warlock aura/burst.

Order's Wrath is the largest AOE in the game, and a primo delivery mechanism for Shiradi effects since, coincidentally, it has no cool-down to speak of and can be spammed fast as fuck with quicken spell.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:52am:
Order's Wrath

It does not. Go to lama today if it goes up. try to hit the basement kobolds with OW and see that you cant get 7 of 8 of them. nothing does aside CM

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:22am:
It does not. Go to lama today if it goes up. try to hit the basement kobolds with OW and see that you cant get 7 of 8 of them. nothing does aside CM

So in conclusion, two copies of chain missiles is awesome!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint