Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) 11 clr, 6 ftr, 3 pally or 14 clr 6 ftr? (Read 6530 times)
Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

11 clr, 6 ftr, 3 pally or 14 clr 6 ftr?
Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Since i'm getting close to the end of my wizard life I decided I want to play a melee again and knock out my cleric past life at the same time.

Due to the fact that t5 kensai and the 3rd kensai core are both pretty nice I decided on atleast 6 fighter. Would it be better to go up to cleric 14? Getting no real benefits besides 7th level spells and some more spell slots or adding 3 paladin for fear immunity, disease immunity, divine grace and some light damage.

Also for this type of build would SWF with a bastard sword or THF with a greataxe work better? I'm inclined to go with greataxe because I feel like melee power scales better with THF but I might be horribly misinformed. Also would sword and board even be a consideration considering the 3rd core in vanguard is the highest i could go?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: 11 clr, 6 ftr, 3 pally or 14 clr 6 ftr?
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
THF with a bastard sword is better than SWF. Remember: SWF = Single Target. THF = AOE.

I'm personally looking in to doing 11 cleric, 6 ranger. 3 fighter and TWF with either khopeshes or bastard swords(I have more bastard swords for some reason...)

If you are going more melee the 3 levels of paladin splash are a good thing. You can get about 25 PRR for a handful of ability points in Sacred Defender.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:03am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 2:02pm:
THF with a bastard sword is better than SWF. Remember: SWF = Single Target. THF = AOE.

I'm personally looking in to doing 11 cleric, 6 ranger. 3 fighter and TWF with either khopeshes or bastard swords(I have more bastard swords for some reason...)

If you are going more melee the 3 levels of paladin splash are a good thing. You can get about 25 PRR for a handful of ability points in Sacred Defender.

I'm assuming the sacred defender stance does not stack with the stalwart defender one? If it does then the 3 pally would become a no brainer. I have a good selection of two handed weapons so i'd probably go with those. Can never go wrong with a SoS for heroics

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:04am
Print Post  
fwiw, I did a recent "cleric" life as a Barb 6 / Fighter 6 / Cleric 8. Using barbarian T5 for easy selfhealing.

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Test this out for me?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/477834-Any-past-life-melee-critzilla

It is at least 53% more legit than a riftmaker wielding wolf build.

I'm mainly concerned about tactics DC as you level, and healing.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:18am by »  

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
Test this out for me?

I don't mind trying that out once I TR. Still need to drag my wizard through a couple of heroic levels and an Epic PL after that but it looks interesting. I also have some swashbuckler stuff lying around from a bard life so I don't mind giving that a spin Tilo, just as long as you're not in a hurry for feedback I'll get around to it eventually.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, can you even take cleave/great cleave without PA? Cause if not I see a problem with that feat layout.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2016 at 6:30am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:30am
Print Post  
You need PA for Cleave and Great Cleave. That being said, he included it in his build.

Edit: Having messed with several builds using the same concepts at Tilo both leveling and pre-30 end game. I've always noticed that doing the SB stance doesn't really pan out damage wise to say a khopesh s&b of the same style using the feat and enhancement set up. Really, using a hand axe is the only reason to go SB stance crits.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:34am by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
If you want the best crit profile, do the 6 fighter.  You can get the same defensive benefits as the pally (minus saves and LoH) and you get Keen Edge and Strike with no thought, which gives you the +1 crit range/+1 crit multiplier. 

Ranger is stronger for melee DPS than fighter when doing 12 levels or more, but in a 6 splash, the fighter is better, and you have the option of doing THF or TWF (if you want to invest the build points in dex on the fighter, since you aren't getting TWF feats via class).   

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:30am:
Edit: Having messed with several builds using the same concepts at Tilo both leveling and pre-30 end game. I've always noticed that doing the SB stance doesn't really pan out damage wise to say a khopesh s&b of the same style using the feat and enhancement set up. Really, using a hand axe is the only reason to go SB stance crits.

I agree, SB in itself doesn't beat a Khopesh with a +1 crit/crit multiplier T5/core 3 kensai tree + vangaurd bashes/attack speed. Thats a 6 ap investment against 60 though.

SB as a core 2 ability does allow you to get an AoE stun T5 Warchanter though, which in LD combined with sense weakness and combat brute and a x4 handaxe I'm guessing will do wondrous crits. SB+Warchanter I'm guessing will be more even with kensai + vangaurd.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:01pm by »  

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:30am:
You need PA for Cleave and Great Cleave. That being said, he included it in his build.

I completely glanced over power attack in Tilo's build.... my bad. What about a Bsword s&b for the AoE? Would be rather tight on feats but it'd get glances for some chip damage.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:03am:
I'm assuming the sacred defender stance does not stack with the stalwart defender one?

This I do not know. I ran a 3 paly/5 wizard/12 fighter a long time back, but I do not recal if I could get PRR from both trees. I believe it would stack, though I'd have to test. I can tell you later today.

Quote:
Test this out for me?

I've tried a lot of these "any life as a hat" builds and haven't had a lot of fun with them. I generally find the leveling sucks ass and they are basically useless in epics. Its fine for nabbing a fast heroic life, but if you plan on playing all the way through to 30, look for something better.

That being said, I am reviewing the build for a possible druid life I do not wish to actually do.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:07pm:
I completely glanced over power attack in Tilo's build.... my bad. What about a Bsword s&b for the AoE? Would be rather tight on feats but it'd get glances for some chip damage.

SB by itself has some AoE in it depending how you want to use feats. SB alone has En Point; which despite it's description seems to work in a conal spell AoE rather than a full fledged cleave. I'd assume this is because it's a spaghetti code copy and paste of Momentum Swing. Assuming you're using an axe as mentioned, and you'll be in LD anyway for headman's chop. So you'll have Momentum Swing, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Lay Waste I'm guessing before En Point.

Bsword is fine if you've got a collection of them or want to drop legendary greensteel I suppose. Personally khopesh testing is a chore for me on live, given I always harbinged the day scimitars would fully outshine khopeshes. (I'm looking at you failed warpriest enhancement.) On a ranger build though, scimitars are were it's at in my opinion. I'll take 40% crit over an x4 khopesh any day.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree, SB in itself doesn't beat a Khopesh with a +1 crit/crit multiplier T5/core 3 kensai tree + vangaurd bashes/attack speed. Thats a 6 ap investment against 60 though.

SB as a core 2 ability does allow you to get an AoE stun T5 Warchanter though, which in LD combined with sense weakness and combat brute and a x4 handaxe I'm guessing will do wondrous crits. SB+Warchanter I'm guessing will be more even with kensai + vangaurd.

That's a valid point too. If it wasn't for the AP cost, I'd probably try and make a solid Eldritch Knight based on turdbine's concept of a sword and board one.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 1:56am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:33pm:
This I do not know. I ran a 3 paly/5 wizard/12 fighter a long time back, but I do not recal if I could get PRR from both trees. I believe it would stack, though I'd have to test. I can tell you later today.

Did you happen to get around to testing if the defensive stances stack? If so then 3 pally would definitely win out on 3 more cleric levels (for a melee build).

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 1:56am:
Did you happen to get around to testing if the defensive stances stack?

Fighter and Pally defensive stances are mutually exclusive, so I too would love to see such a test.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:23am:
Fighter and Pally defensive stances are mutually exclusive, so I too would love to see such a test.

Turbine actually thought of that huh? Color me mildly impressed (very low bar) then that's a no go. Pity, the extra PRR/MRR would be very nice.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:53am:
Turbine actually thought of that huh?

While literally copy/pasting the Vanguard tree for both classes as well? Yes, they thought of it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:35am:
While literally copy/pasting the Vanguard tree for both classes as well? Yes, they thought of it.

But, but, but, the logo's are different. And in all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if even after copying an entire tree they still forgot to make stuff mutually exclusive.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 1:56am:
Did you happen to get around to testing if the defensive stances stack? If so then 3 pally would definitely win out on 3 more cleric levels (for a melee build).

Sorry, I keep forgetting. I have unfortunately had precious little time to play in the past few days, I will try and get to it tonight.

Revaulting wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:23am:

You know, or I'll find out that Revaulting is right. Either one.

FYI anyone who's got iconics could roll one up and test this in like 5 minutes.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:57am by noamineo »  

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 5:16am:
But, but, but, the logo's are different. And in all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if even after copying an entire tree they still forgot to make stuff mutually exclusive.

We got the joke the 1st time.  They have always been mutually exclusive since they came out and as someone pointed out already, you can test this in 5 minutes on live.  Please stop.

Having said that, you best bet for a warrior priest is 14 Cleric 6 Fighter or 15 Cleric 5 Bard.  If you just want the best melee with a Cleric icon it would be 12 Cleric 5 Bard 3 Fighter.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 12:19pm:
We got the joke the 1st time.  They have always been mutually exclusive since they came out and as someone pointed out already, you can test this in 5 minutes on live.  Please stop.

Having said that, you best bet for a warrior priest is 14 Cleric 6 Fighter or 15 Cleric 5 Bard.  If you just want the best melee with a Cleric icon it would be 12 Cleric 5 Bard 3 Fighter.

You're right I could've (and just did) tested the stance thing myself. Turning one on turns the other one off as expected.

I'm curious why would you go up to cleric 14/15? What do the extra cleric levels give you over either an extra feat (8 fighter) or higher saves (3 pally)? From a non spellcasting point of view the 7th level spells don't look all that enticing.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
At 13 and 14 lvl cleric you do get level 7 spells (greater resto, resurrection), but nothing really beyong that.  I prefer to stop at 12 cleric, but some people like to eek out as many levels as they can.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
A few more Cleric levels would also net you a handful of lvl 6 spells. Keep in mind that with just 11 levels of Cleric, the Wiki SAYS you get 3 spells, but you really only get 2 spells + "Cure Moderate Wounds: Mass", which is fucking useless IMO. Each level is like that, with a locked "heal" spell that is a little hit or miss in terms of usefullness.

With 11 Cleric though you can have Heal and Blade Barrier, and, really, what other spells do you even need?

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:26am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:41pm:
A few more Cleric levels would also net you a handful of lvl 6 spells. Keep in mind that with just 11 levels of Cleric, the Wiki SAYS you get 3 spells, but you really only get 2 spells + "Cure Moderate Wounds: Mass", which is fucking useless IMO. Each level is like that, with a locked "heal" spell that is a little hit or miss in terms of usefullness.

With 11 Cleric though you can have Heal and Blade Barrier, and, really, what other spells do you even need?

That's what I was thinking, since I will be mainly melee I have no real need for other spells and a 3 pally splash would net me divine grace and some light damage in KotC which to me seems more usefull than some sp/spell slots. I could theorethically even splash rogue for trapping but I don't think I'd have the INT to spare between STR, CON and CHA to make that work. Any other splash I don't really see adding much. Maybe barb for the movement speed increase...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
It MIGHT be worth taking 12 cleric to get that one extra spell so you can have Cometfall(which trips things), otherwise Heal and BB are all you will ever need.

What kind of melee are you looking to be? You may wish to consider the split I'm doing: 11 cleric, 6 ranger, 3 fighter, TWF melee character. The self heals are fun and the BB kiting is beautiful. You also have the option of doing not-worthless ranged damage when the situation calls for it. Personally I am enjoying the life so far.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint