Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is it that hard to make a sliding difficulty? (Read 11667 times)
Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Is it that hard to make a sliding difficulty?
Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
What the fuck is wrong with the devs the game is stupid easy I am trying to introduce new players to the game the game is ruined by the other players.  Why can't the leader have a slider to make the game so it isn't fucking stupid.   I try to introduce new players to the game who will then pay money and buy things but I dont think the devs could make it any more difficult.   The game is fucking stupid until Legendary Elite

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Is it that hard to make a sliding difficulty?
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
No, it's not.

Get new players to go Elite BB, not repeating any content, and I guarantee at least a dozen deaths by the time they reach 20. And that's assuming they use ranged/casters.

The game is stupid easy for completionists with dozens of PLs, gear, and most importantly, knowledge. All things new players will not have. Perhaps YOU are ruining the game for them by dragging them through content, or warning them of challenging encounters or deadly traps.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I would say that if you really want to bring new players to the game, the role to play is heal bot. You won't be raping the dungeon, you can conveniently forget all the trap locations because you will be able to take care of them afterwards.

Just sit back, let them flower sniff and discover the game.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:48pm:
I would say that if you really want to bring new players to the game, the role to play is heal bot. You won't be raping the dungeon, you can conveniently forget all the trap locations because you will be able to take care of them afterwards.

+1

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Spoon
Stormreaver Piker

Fuck yeah Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:05pm:
What the fuck is wrong with the devs the game is stupid easy I am trying to introduce new players to the game the game is ruined by the other players.  Why can't the leader have a slider to make the game so it isn't fucking stupid.   I try to introduce new players to the game who will then pay money and buy things but I dont think the devs could make it any more difficult.   The game is fucking stupid until Legendary Elite

Wait...how does a slider help?  If I am reading this correctly (big if) you try to introduce new players to the game.  So that's You + New Player in a group.  Then your experience is ruined by the "other players."  Is that You + Newb + Pug/Vet in the party now?   Am I reading that wrong?

It should go without saying, but I'm not defending Turbine's ability to code themselves out of a wet paper bag.  I'm just saying, you don't need their help fixing this problem.  You just need to do what others suggest, set them up in a party that is closed off with you providing support and holding yourself back while they learn the game.  Nobody teaches their kid to ride a bike on training wheels while also throwing a Hell's Angel biker in the mix. 

The problem of course is going to be the population doesn't really support gradations of skill anymore.  You either got new player or Grizzled Vet, not much room for in-between skill based groups.

The USA is having so many disasters and tragedies you'd almost think it was built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
no. wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:34pm:
The game is stupid easy for completionists with dozens of PLs, gear, and most importantly, knowledge.

Mostly knowledge.  Where the traps are, how to kite, where to stand, how to pull singles or small groups, how to not just rush into a room to get surrounded and killed.

New players with 28 point characters and no past lives just won't survive traps on HE content.  The 'sliding scale' is to play at a lower difficulty level.

They don't know where the traps are, and they can't survive the damage they do on HE.  PRR and MRR from past lives absorbs that damage, and knowledge about the dungeons makes either finding and disarming far more possible, or loading up with consumables to just bull your way through them.

If you run with your friends, play a trapper but also try to teach them to trap for themselves.  Max your UMD for heal wands and rez scrolls, you'll need them.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
To OP: your friends must be really special people if they are newbies and think LE is easy, because most people in the game, even if they play for over a year think LE content is challenging and they can't do shit in LE, thats why Shroud runs have been more popular these days than hard runs.

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I did roll a new toon a few months ago and it was freaking easy.

Ok it was a mech but still, second life i went barb.

It was not that easy but i had 5 deaths and all of them because stupid champs.

Everything Elite.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:24pm by LagMonsterrrrrr »  

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 6:41am
Print Post  
What I want is as grp leader to have a slider to increase crowned enemies etc   Right now I meet new players in the game but we want to grp w/ others as well which inevitably includes long time players.   I want to be able to increase difficulty accordingly for each quest so the game is not boring.  I posted here in hopes maybe they will see it and implement something to this effect.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 6:41am:
What I want is as grp leader to have a slider to increase crowned enemies etc   Right now I meet new players in the game but we want to grp w/ others as well which inevitably includes long time players.   I want to be able to increase difficulty accordingly for each quest so the game is not boring.

This translates to "I want to impose my vision of how the game is supposed to be played on everyone in my party."

Fuck off. 

Seriously, you've been spouting this shit about how you've been playing for 11 years and you're right and everyone else is wrong.

God help the new players that run into you and are forced to listen to your completely speculative bullshit explanations of how the mechanics of AC & To-Hit or Spell DCs or anything else in DDO works.

Some links and a sample post for people who aren't aware of how AWESOME Daggertooth is.

Daggertooth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:09am:
First of all let me put your in your place.  I capped around 60 characters before you started your little TR queer quest to go around and around to try to get people to recognize you with your single character.

I am the one who taught the stuff to the people who taught you.   I know better than you, by a long long ways.  Period.

Let me explain again how it works since the first time you apparently didn't get it.

All the numbers you see on your character sheet?  Meaningless.   Oh there is some meaning to it but nothing close to what you think it is.

I'll say it again for the borderline retarded like this guy (bigjunk), the system takes a rough composite of your character and then breaks it down into some much much simpler than you think.

I have played the game since 2006, believe me, I know much much much more than you do.   Almost everything that you were taught (since you never came up with anything on your own, I was the one who innovated years before the people who taught you found out about it.

Anyway as I was saying, the system asks a few simple questions before creating a simple hit/defense matrix for your character.   Did you try to maintain an AC that is adequate for the level and difficult that your doing? Or did you go the way of the stupid dumb  DDO Vault fuck and dump AC and say something gay and retarded to the effect of "blur" displacement" ghostly is your friend" As if you had some semblance of what was going on in the game.   This is why your defense tanks.  Becuase your a stupid fuck who can't stop mouthing off like you know what your doing.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/263905-Is-AC-40-viable-for-at-endgame?...

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339027563/24#24

I posted here in hopes maybe they will see it and implement something to this effect.

This is clearly a lie.  You posted here to remind everyone of how awesome you are.

Anyone who has been paying attention for more than six weeks knows that if you want your message to be noticed, you need to write it in pepperoni on the tops of pizzas and send them to Turbine.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Spoon
Stormreaver Piker

Fuck yeah Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  
  I posted here in hopes maybe they will see it and implement something to this effect.

Everyone knows that Turbine monitors the Vault for good ideas that they regularly implement. 

The USA is having so many disasters and tragedies you'd almost think it was built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:55am
Print Post  
LagMonsterrrrrr wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:23pm:
I did roll a new toon a few months ago and it was freaking easy.

LagMonsterrrrrr wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:23pm:
It was not that easy

huh?

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:07am
Print Post  
RAWR RAWR RAWRGITY RAWR

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:49am
Print Post  
first life mech = retarded easy

second life barb = not that easy.

got it now?

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Since I've been rambling about city of heroes I'll mention their difficulty slider system here.

In COH if you wanted to you went to see an NPC security agent. There you could pick from -1 to +4 for the level of mobs compared to the party leader as well as 1-8 for party size adjustment. The truly mighty would run +4×8 solo to push themselves to their limits. Only a small fraction of even the best veterans could handle that solo.

The entire poi t of grouping is to reduce challenge. DDO fucked that up with auto dungeon scaling effecting mob stats rather then mob numbers. As we all know this has a domino effect which hurts anything g but DPS builds. DC checks end up climbing so spell casters and Trappists and really anything g using g the actual d20 system can go from no fail to never work.

We also know those who call for challenge don't really want that. Otherwise we would of never demanded reliable sources for max fort or death block or clickies for every possible circumstance. The idea preparation and meta gaming being able to  negate every lethal force we encounter kept the game hard for new comers and inevitably easier for those who put in time.

Unknown is challenge and the players have long lobbied to know everything and anything actually requiring brain cells to figure out is not tolerated. Let's look back at somethi g classic like the VoN chain.

Von 2 was always a fave for me in the early days. The fall mechanic and beholders helped force paying attention and not to depend on being buffed the mana eating oozes helped make wasteful casting foolish. But it was also largely easier by a large factor after you ran it a few times. I habitually sought out first timers to run with and would play dumb following their lead to enjoy their first time experiences.

Von 4 was much the same but they also fucked up with the way the wheels worked. The info to figure it out should of been in a lore tome in the dungeon guarded by a nasty group of mixed foes so diverse a bit of everything should of been required. It also should of hate a trap and lock to keep those skills in play. Only then should the trick to the wheels be found. And it should of been randomized for each wheel. So as to make doing the brute force try every combo too time consuming g to get through.

In other words meta gaming is what kills challenge in DDO. Its like playing a PNP module over and over in the same campaign setting with the DM never modding it to keep it interesting. I've DMd classics like keep on the borderland many times over the years often having players who have done it before. I always change things up and players who know me know not to count on previous experience.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:48pm:

I concur.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 11:01am:
Since I've been rambling about city of heroes I'll mention their difficulty slider system here.

In COH if you wanted to you went to see an NPC security agent. There you could pick from -1 to +4 for the level of mobs compared to the party leader as well as 1-8 for party size adjustment. The truly mighty would run +4×8 solo to push themselves to their limits. Only a small fraction of even the best veterans could handle that solo.

The entire poi t of grouping is to reduce challenge. DDO fucked that up with auto dungeon scaling effecting mob stats rather then mob numbers. As we all know this has a domino effect which hurts anything g but DPS builds. DC checks end up climbing so spell casters and Trappists and really anything g using g the actual d20 system can go from no fail to never work.

We also know those who call for challenge don't really want that. Otherwise we would of never demanded reliable sources for max fort or death block or clickies for every possible circumstance. The idea preparation and meta gaming being able to  negate every lethal force we encounter kept the game hard for new comers and inevitably easier for those who put in time.

Unknown is challenge and the players have long lobbied to know everything and anything actually requiring brain cells to figure out is not tolerated. Let's look back at somethi g classic like the VoN chain.

Von 2 was always a fave for me in the early days. The fall mechanic and beholders helped force paying attention and not to depend on being buffed the mana eating oozes helped make wasteful casting foolish. But it was also largely easier by a large factor after you ran it a few times. I habitually sought out first timers to run with and would play dumb following their lead to enjoy their first time experiences.

Von 4 was much the same but they also fucked up with the way the wheels worked. The info to figure it out should of been in a lore tome in the dungeon guarded by a nasty group of mixed foes so diverse a bit of everything should of been required. It also should of hate a trap and lock to keep those skills in play. Only then should the trick to the wheels be found. And it should of been randomized for each wheel. So as to make doing the brute force try every combo too time consuming g to get through.

In other words meta gaming is what kills challenge in DDO. Its like playing a PNP module over and over in the same campaign setting with the DM never modding it to keep it interesting. I've DMd classics like keep on the borderland many times over the years often having players who have done it before. I always change things up and players who know me know not to count on previous experience.

I don't agree with all of this, but I do agree with dungeon scaling being a poor idea.  I would rather that the difficulty be set for a full party and if you want to solo it, bring your big boy pants and A game.  Making dungeons easier for solo and duo is a mistake.  If you can't solo on elite, try a lower difficulty.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
/players 8

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:11pm:
I don't agree with all of this, but I do agree with dungeon scaling being a poor idea.  I would rather that the difficulty be set for a full party and if you want to solo it, bring your big boy pants and A game.  Making dungeons easier for solo and duo is a mistake.  If you can't solo on elite, try a lower difficulty.

Dungeon scaling was the second most boring thing to ever happen to this game.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 7:32pm:
Dungeon scaling was the second most boring thing to ever happen to this game.

TWF speed nerf?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint