Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Humor me: Any viable cleric builds currently? (Read 18640 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Humor me: Any viable cleric builds currently?
Dec 12th, 2016 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Only rule is that it needs to have a cleric emblem.

Give me pros/cons/options

Goals:

1. Fun
2. Survivable
3. Can solo LH
4. Can contribute meaningful dps both single-target and some AOE.

Go.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Humor me: Any viable cleric builds currently?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I played an 11 cleric/6 ranger/3 fighter 2 weapon fighting build recently.

It was by no means top-tier, but it was AWESOME.

1. Fun - hugely, lots of options for a variable play-style, melee DPS, ok ranged DPS, some light spellcasting.
2. Survivable - huge PRR/AC? Check. Heavy armor? Check. Self ehaling? Checkiityy-check-CHECK!
3. Can solo LH - No idea, DDO is an MMO, I don't solo shit if I can avoid it
4. Can contribute meaningful dps both single-target and some AOE. - got that, you can use all the cleaves to get in some AOS, twf is good for single target, and if shit hits the fan you can go Blade Barrier Kyteing. Personally I couldn't find room in the build for the spell power/spell critical items needed to make BB viable, but that may change since new CC came out.

I used a Sun Elf but any race is viable on this build. The trick is to go the first 11 levels as a cleric so you get Heal.

I can give you more details if that tickles your fancy. I basically asked a similar question to yours a few months back when it came time for the cleric life, and this is what they gave me. It was the most fun life I'd had in a while.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2016 at 2:50pm by noamineo »  

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I guess you cannot go wrong with taking 6-8 fighter levels, kensei third core + tier fives. PDK/Shadar-Kai/Deep Gnome, worshipping Silvanus / Maul.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
8 Cleric 6 Monk 6 Fighter.  Throw the shit out of shurikens and manyshot if you want.  Work well any race but elf w/AA is probably best.

Checks "yes" to all 4 of your goals.

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:26pm by DoRayEgon »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 2:41pm:
Can solo LH

bruh...

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:39pm:
bruh...

I'm pretty out of the loop. So, maybe this is easy? I honestly don't know. I just played again recently for the first time in like 10 months. I'll probably just play on and off. But, I wanted to turn my main into something fun.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 3:43pm:
I'm pretty out of the loop. So, maybe this is easy? I honestly don't know. I just played again recently for the first time in like 10 months. I'll probably just play on and off. But, I wanted to turn my main into something fun.

you shouldnt have a hard time on LH solo even on a first life 28pt build. You can go caster cleric, wis based and reach the required Dcs easily since gear/stat inflation is overkill for anything under elite. at lv cap you should easily hit 60+ dc for all spells and that is enough to nuke through hard, handily. assuming your crafter levels arent in the 300+ range, and you dont have slaver mats or lgs mats. you can grab some of the more recent named loot. mainly the orbs, cloaks, and rings are all really good for casters right now.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm:
you shouldnt have a hard time on LH solo even on a first life 28pt build. You can go caster cleric, wis based and reach the required Dcs easily since gear/stat inflation is overkill for anything under elite. at lv cap you should easily hit 60+ dc for all spells and that is enough to nuke through hard, handily. assuming your crafter levels arent in the 300+ range, and you dont have slaver mats or lgs mats. you can grab some of the more recent named loot. mainly the orbs, cloaks, and rings are all really good for casters right now.

Hmm...

I wonder if there's a way to do a caster cleric with tier2/3 ranged combat ability as well. That sounds kinda fun.

Wis/Ocean Clonk + Shuriken maybe?

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:29pm:
Hmm...

I wonder if there's a way to do a caster cleric with tier2/3 ranged combat ability as well. That sounds kinda fun.

Wis/Ocean Clonk + Shuriken maybe?

I just had a awesome weekend leveling a 6 Silvan cleric/ 12 barbarian/ 2 ftr. My Guildies were calling me "The Hammer of Sivan!" all day Sunday on raids. It's not top tier but it handled end game on Hard just fine and elite with a little adjustment.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2016 at 5:48pm by »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just had a awesome weekend leveling a 6 Silvan cleric/ 12 barbarian/ 2 ftr. My Guildies were calling me "The Hammer of Sivan!" all day Sunday on raids. It's not top tier but it handled end game on Hard just fine and elite with a little adjustment.

nice I was wondering when a build using barb + diety maul would show up

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
6 Silvan cleric/ 12 barbarian/ 2 ftr.

What's the advantage of Cleric over Fvs in this particular build?

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:00pm:

I'm struggling to see it.. Extra level 3 spell slots? I mean, how else will you slot waterbreathing?!

Actually, the advantage would be access to Rad. Serve tree for leveling? I dunno.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:26pm:
I'm struggling to see it.. Extra level 3 spell slots? I mean, how else will you slot waterbreathing?!

Actually, the advantage would be access to Rad. Serve tree for leveling? I dunno.

Devs done fucked it up with Clerics when they moved Positive healing Aura from lvl12 Core to Tier 5 during Enhancement crash.

It was always a fucking lvl12 core enhancement before that...Was it so fucking hard to make Clerics a teeny bit more viable?

Just swap Tier5 with Core 4 and Bamm fixed!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:00pm:

If the goal is to get a cleric PL?

But then the build in question is a barb.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 10:26pm:

Yes, I'm a huge fan of waterbreathing it's highly underrated.....

Actually you guessed it Meat, I like having access to Radiant  Servant tree during leveling. Works well if I expect I'm going to be doing a bit of soloing or regularly using  some pets and hirelings. Also, I just like clerics.  For a toon that was going to sit at end-game replacing FVS for Cleric would be the go, it also works better for flavor in that whole "Arrrrrgh I am the avatar of Silvanus!" makes more sense for a Favored Soul.

Either way you will have a whole bunch of fun playing it. I just wish I could find a way to have a Horc version, they have Horcs in forgotten realms you know.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2016 at 1:32am by »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
For a toon that was going to sit at end-game replacing FVS for Cleric would be the go

So, not an end-game but a leveling build, for past life I assume? That clears it.

BTW, can you use the Burst while raging? probably not, but I guess you click the aura before raging anyways.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:20am:
So, not an end-game but a leveling build, for past life I assume? That clears it.

BTW, can you use the Burst while raging? probably not, but I guess you click the aura before raging anyways.

For past lives, iconic and epic. You can't use burst while raging but divine healing and bliss work fine plus some of the other Radiant stuff. Depending on the quest and Destiny I can move it around and six levels gives lots of flexibility.

But for staying at Cap you would be able to squeeze a bit more dps out of a FVS version.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 12th, 2016 at 6:16pm:
nice I was wondering when a build using barb + diety maul would show up

Just an avalanche of crits.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:37am by »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 10:46am
Print Post  
you shouldnt have a hard time on LH solo even on a first life 28pt build.
mainly the orbs, cloaks, and rings are all really good for casters right now.

A first life 28 point build w/o trapping is going to suck wind in Slaver's.  And a Cleric with their 2 whole skill points per level isn't going to be able to UMD shit, so no displacement in Larcener against those hard hitting archers, and as a first life no/poor spell absorb gear in S&R against the chain stunning umbers.

As a caster build you'll need the drow priestess opt in S&R for the cloak, and the helm and neck from Larcener for the spell power, spell points and lesser displace.  And of course Slaver's is best in slot right now, after you run the chain 15 times on LH.  It's more generous for the named drops, so that's something.

It's probably not impossible to run those at LH with that build and those limitations, but you'll need SP pots and a lot of time.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 10:46am:
It's probably not impossible to run those at LH with that build and those limitations, but you'll need SP pots and a lot of time

for you.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #20 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
A first life 28 point build w/o trapping is going to suck wind in Slaver's.  And a Cleric with their 2 whole skill points per level isn't going to be able to UMD shit, so no displacement in Larcener against those hard hitting archers, and as a first life no/poor spell absorb gear in S&R against the chain stunning umbers.

As a caster build you'll need the drow priestess opt in S&R for the cloak, and the helm and neck from Larcener for the spell power, spell points and lesser displace.  And of course Slaver's is best in slot right now, after you run the chain 15 times on LH.  It's more generous for the named drops, so that's something.

It's probably not impossible to run those at LH with that build and those limitations, but you'll need SP pots and a lot of time.

Well, I never said 28pt build...

This toon has 25+ PLs, multiple displacement clickies, and a variety of other things. It may even be completionist. I can't remember if there's a new class I haven't done..

EDIT: No Warlock. That's right. So, not completionist anymore. I suppose I could do a quick warlock life. I hear they're easy.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:37pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #21 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
That said, I think my favorite build I had ever was a wis-based clonk with absurd stunning fist and quivering palm.

Anything like that still possible? It could do a little of everything (melee, cast, BB kite, implode, QP)

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #22 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:22pm
Print Post  

Since you've been civil lately and Rubbins has already provided the appropriate snark, I make the following counterpoint to your statement sincerely.

I recently leveled an old alt to 30.  It is a 12 monk, 6 rogue, 2 fighter qstaff, dex-based build.  I equipped it with a bunch of CC gear and a few of the newer BTA items from Slavers and U31.  It is a sub-optimal, first life, 28-point build with no displacement clickies, minimal spell absorb gear (no ioun stone), etc., but does just fine in LE Slavers.  To increase survivability, I did made some DPS concessions like Combat Expertise, Scion of the Shadowfell, and one or two other things but that's to be expected on a first lifer, especially an older build.

It's not amazing but it does contribute reasonably well to the group.  It dies occasionally, but not any more so than most of the non-first lifers in the PUGs.  While it has trapping skills, I don't bother disarming in LE Slavers because it takes too long and it doesn't die to traps anyway.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
That said, I think my favorite build I had ever was a wis-based clonk with absurd stunning fist and quivering palm.

Anything like that still possible? It could do a little of everything (melee, cast, BB kite, implode, QP)

Well with the clr/barb/ftr you could anvil of thunder every 10 secs and that's a no save stun on a crit that works on glanced targets as well if you roll any... And you get to run around yelling "Arrrrrrrgh" all they time Tongue
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:42pm by »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:31pm:
for you.

Screen shot or shut up about it.  I can see you now, waiting for Divine Punishment to come off the 10 second cool-down in a group of 6-10 mobs.  Throwing no-meta Cometfall and watching everything save vs the knockdown, rolling through your 3 SLAs and watching them fail to kill stuff because your spell power is low and your crits worse.

Head-Meat wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:34pm:
Well, I never said 28pt build...
Rubbins did:
you shouldnt have a hard time on LH solo even on a first life 28pt build. You can go caster cleric, wis based and reach the required Dcs easily since gear/stat inflation is overkill for anything under elite. at lv cap you should easily hit 60+ dc for all spells and that is enough to nuke through hard, handily.

Care to break down that 60+ DC?  And please remember, you don't get there until you get there, meaning you can't add the +7 evo DC from L Earthen Mantle, the +4 insight evo DC from Slave Master's Staff (needs all 3 run for a chance at the first drop), etc.  No L Pansophic Circlet, no Spinneret, Slaver's trinket, none of it.  Because you have to have the DCs in order to do the solo runs to get the items to make those DCs.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:22pm:
I recently leveled an old alt to 30.  It is a 12 monk, 6 rogue, 2 fighter qstaff, dex-based build.  I equipped it with a bunch of CC gear and a few of the newer BTA items from Slavers and U31.

Since you've been civil recently I'll just point out that:
1) A first life character isn't going to have a CC skill high enough, or the rare mats/PEDs, to make much of anything;
2) Transferring BTA best in slot items isn't something a first life player has access to, and not even all players in general;
3) Clerics, and Divines in general, suck it up due to the lack of a class pass, which Monks enjoy;
4) Evasion is great, and Clerics tend to wear heavy armor.  Sure, you could build a cleric for evasion, but with 28 points where are the points for dex coming from?  Evasion is best when you actually make a reflex save.  You're not getting a 60+ DC w/o a decent Wiz, and you're eating a lot of HP loss of you pull from con for dex.

If all this boils down to is "I can move over all my BTA stuff and do it just the same on a 28 point char" then fuck, what is Rubbins even bragging about?  At that point it's just saying that the difference between 28 and 32 points isn't that much, given the gear inflation.  Which is true, but goes without saying.  Do the same w/o twinking the shit out of your 28 point character and making it essentially a carbon copy of your main just w/o a 32 point build and EPLs, then you and Rubbins can brag about how you crush LH content solo on a fresh character.  It ain't fresh if it's wearing a pile of old gear.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint