Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company! (Read 52237 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company!
Reply #25 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Darth Anonymous wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:34pm:
Not to mention the nightmare of working with the Tolkien estate.

I dont think the nightmare is the Tolkien Estate. They do not have the rights on the Hobbit and Lotro.
Saul Zaentz aka Tolkien Entreprise aka Middle Earth Enterprise has the rights.

The Tolkien Estate has the rights on everything else (Silmarillion,.....)

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #26 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
Spot on. Standard business practices here, folks. When a company needs to focus resources on their core business, they shutter the money sinks and sell the profitable non-core businesses. Turdbine/WB has made it abundantly clear that their new core is mobile gaming.

Agree.

I think it makes sense when you look at the timing of things. WB purchased Turbine in 2010 - seven years after the third movie was released, but two years before the first Hobbit movie was released. There was significant potential for that property to take off again. It didn't. Now, all three Hobbit movies have been released and the property is dead for a decade or two at minimum. Sell, sell, sell!

There is also a new D&D movie about to be released though...

Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:41pm:
Lotro and The Hobbit IP are about to be become public domain.

How is that? That would be an insanely early copyright expiry.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #27 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm:
Depends... 
Honestly it would be extremely strange for WB to disvest the Lotro IP when it's the reason they bought Turbine.

I am of the opinion that WB still owns the IP for all this stuff and gave Standing Stone an option on it. If they ever want to enter the MMO industry again with one of these IPs it will mean the end of DDO  or LOTRO.

Maybe LOTR is different, I don't understand the LOTR IP issues at all.

They are going to bankrupt Turbine?
Are their mobile games even making money?
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:10pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

MookieBlaylock10
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Fixed
Lotro and The Hobbit IP are about to be become public domain. That's why Saul Zaentz rushed all the films, it Washington the only way for them to make some money beurre it's too late. Iirc, they have 3/4 year of cow milking left. They should hurry if they want the Beren & Luthien tale out...

Pretty sure Christopher Tolkien will stop that from going into Public Domain.

IP Logged

MookieBlaylock10
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:09pm:
I am of the opinion that WB still owns the IP for all this stuff and gave Standing Stone an option on it. If they ever want to enter the MMO industry again with one of these IPs it will mean the end of DDO  or LOTRO.

Maybe LOTR is different, I don't understand the LOTR IP issues at all.

They are going to bankrupt Turbine?
Are their mobile games even making money?

From what I understood, SSG bought the license out right, so they own it, lock stock and barrel as it were.. WB has nothing but $ now (I assume they got a cut)

And as far Turbine's Mobile games, I have not seen them doing well, the whole IC thing really killed them I think, not even a GOT or Batman mobile game is to save that sinking ship

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Turdbine/WB has made it abundantly clear that their new core is mobile gaming.

Atari anyone.....? Bueller? Bueller?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
MookieBlaylock10 wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:36pm:
From what I understood, SSG bought the license out right, so they own it, lock stock and barrel as it were.. WB has nothing but $ now (I assume they got a cut)

And as far Turbine's Mobile games, I have not seen them doing well, the whole IC thing really killed them I think, not even a GOT or Batman mobile game is to save that sinking ship

right on

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:50pm:
There is also a new D&D movie about to be released though...

The fact that I haven't heard a thing about it ought to tell you how much of a bump the D&D property should expect from that. Sad

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #33 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:17pm:
No it's not. Sev is still the producer. Turbine have cut adrift the bottom feeders that hung on like leeches while the ship sank. The only qualifications the current team of Devs have is being shitty enough at their jobs that they were never able to be hired somewhere else. I'm serious.

Just look at what Sev and his 'team' have introduced in the last two years, the guy never had a clue about the game and never will.

Turbine simply cut the fat and all the underachieving maggots that lived on it, the irony being that if they had employed a competent team and producer they wouldn't have had to cut DDO and LOTR for another couple years.

What you are seeing today, is the 'Severance' package those losers bunged together because they had to hire themselves because no one else who had seen the last two years would. Remember that data center move? how well that went?   Remember what Sev is like when he speaks? or fat Jerry?  Simple fact is that somebody clever at Turbine figured the cheapest way to drop those paycheck fails was to let them play 'indy developer' to take the sting out of getting canned.

Shame about what's about to happen to the game though.  Embarrassed

This could very well be true. I would like to get the confirmation of who got cut and went over to the indie side and who is gonna get completely left behind. If it is the previous people still on board and now they have carte blanche to turn DDO into the sycophantic suck up game Jerry and his fanbois desperately tried to make it a year ago then I am in fear of my personal information being in the hands of these swindlers and charltons. Most of those people are employed and paid by WB/Turbine. I'd hate to think their idea of a fresh start is carrying over the diseased parts is a good sound business strategy.

At first I was excited at the thought WB/Turbine would no longer have influence and indie gamers could fix things. Start advertising, give incentives to new players while making a huge apology box of goodies to the loyal players and make it a better game while getting the politics out of the DDO community. But if this is just like a governmental deregulation, Grand is correct and the Doooo00000000oooooooommmmmMMMMmmmm has only begun.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #34 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Daybreak games...isn't that where mmos go to die?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #35 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:58pm:

Daybreak does not own Standing Stone.

Standing Stone has partnered with them for Publishing purposes.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #36 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:58pm:

Actually, I think it's precisely the opposite. Daybreak is a fire, and that is where games go to live in it forever. Seriously, look at their roster: EQ, EQ2, Vanguard:SoH, SWG, DCUO. By any reasonable measure, all of those games should be dead (just like DDO and LoTRO). But somehow, Daybreak manages to make money off of them, and keep the corpses animated forever.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #37 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:42pm:
You seem upset. Gosh I hope I didn't hit a nerve  Kiss

I'm not upset at all.  The exact opposite.  I enjoy it when you make a fool of yourself.  I was pretty sure you would not be able to tell the difference between an analysis of WB's decision to jettison from a prediction of what it means for the future of the game. 

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:45pm:
I dont think the nightmare is the Tolkien Estate. They do not have the rights on the Hobbit and Lotro.
Saul Zaentz aka Tolkien Entreprise aka Middle Earth Enterprise has the rights.

The Tolkien Estate has the rights on everything else (Silmarillion,.....)

The Tolkien Estate has a long history of litigation for any perceived wrong. It's like crossing paths with the Church of Scientology.

in LOTRO's case, it was  http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/20/tolkien-estate-sues-studio-over-lord-of-t... I am sure the WB legal department spent a fortune on the TE's shenanigan's over the last few years.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #39 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
If the Paiz's stay with Turdbine, I will be happy then that DDO has some chance.

Shame the current dev team led by Sev are staying.  Makes sense, but Sev's stewardship has hardly been good.

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:05pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm:
Depends... 

It might be a move to save DDO and Lotro from Turbine going Chapter 11...

Honestly it would be extremely strange for WB to disvest the Lotro IP when it's the reason they bought Turbine.

Oh and no word about AC future...

Overall I smell a coffin for Turbine, and WB is going to buy that New indy studio in a feu month

This is unlikely, imo.  Turbine/WB would have to disclose the intent to file chapter 11 in due diligence to the prospective buyers, as they have to validate that the asset is unimpaired.   Impairments would include pending intent to file chapter 11, as well as any potential liens on assets of the corporation.  In a chapter 11, the creditors of Turbine (or the BK trustee) could challenge a previous asset sale as a preference, and/or a violation of fiduciary duty, depending on how long ago the sale happened and what the price and terms of the transaction were.  Not disclosing it would expose WB to significant liability if there were problems down the road during a BK.

If Turbine/WB discloses it, nobody would buy the distressed asset for the above reason (you can't be sure the BK process won't fuck you).  The only safe course to acquire the assets in this situation would be to do a pre-packaged Chapter 11 with the buyer going in as a stalking horse for the asset purchase.  This has its own risks, but much lower than buying a distressed asset and then finding out a few months or a year later that you don't own the asset anymore.  Clean ownership of the code and licensing is crucial. 

Further, it would be frowned upon (read: illegal) heavily to take a distressed sub corporation you own, sell off the key assets, stick the company with no assets and a mound of debt in the BK trash can and screw the creditors and then buy back the key assets into a different sub corporation you own.  It would look like you were hiding assets from the BK process to screw the creditors.  Which you were.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #41 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Fixed
Lotro and The Hobbit IP are about to be become public domain. That's why Saul Zaentz rushed all the films, it Washington the only way for them to make some money beurre it's too late. Iirc, they have 3/4 year of cow milking left. They should hurry if they want the Beren & Luthien tale out...

the Hobbit (1939) wont become public domain until 2032, Lord of the Rings (1955) in 2050.

The Silmarillion wasn't published until 1977, so Beren and Luthien have plenty of time left under the nurturing wing of Christopher Tolkien
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm by pape »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #42 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Darth Anonymous wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:29pm:
Look at the bright side unless they fold for $ issues it means at least 2 or 3 more years of DDO. New company means at least some life in the license.  Firing Cordovan would be a great 1st step if they want to restore the communities faith.

They don't even need to fire him, just monitor and train him. He's not headstrong, he just follows whatever fanboi is dragging him around by his balls. A good manager could have him productive and helpful in a few months. I agree that firing him would send a great message, and I'd love to see it, but we could have decent results even if they don't go that far.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #43 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
pape wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm:
the Hobbit (1939) wont become public domain until 2032, Lord of the Rings (1955) in 2050.

The Silmarillion wasn't published until 1977, so Beren and Luthien have plenty of time left under the nurturing wing of Christopher Tolkien

For works created after 1977, US Copyright law says copyrights last from the death of the author + 70 years. For works created before then, there are several factors that play into how long copyrights last.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:02pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #44 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
MookieBlaylock10 wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 4:36pm:

Purely anecdotal, but some of my kid's friends were talking about the Batman game and thought it too buggy to play. Turbine quality - not even Batman can sugar coat that shit enough to let kids gag it down.

Good thing they're special and software best practices don't apply to them  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #45 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:04pm:
If the Paiz's stay with Turdbine, I will be happy then that DDO has some chance.

Shame the current dev team led by Sev are staying.  Makes sense, but Sev's stewardship has hardly been good.

^This

I have some small hope that Sev was such a dick because of bigger dicks above him, but his arrogance and mediocrity will be an anchor around the neck of any team even if he backs off on the relentless flood of unfinished features he's been splatterfarting across DDO.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #46 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:00pm:
For works created after 1977, US Copyright law says copyrights last from the death of the author + 70 years. For works created before then, there are several factors that play into how long copyrights last.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

The books were published pre-1977, and enjoy a 95 year term - 28 years original copyright term + 67 year extension. so do the math - The hobbit enters the public domain in 2032, and LOTR enters the public domain in either 2049 or 2050, as the fellowship had a limited print run of 1500 books in 1954, not 1955.

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #47 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
The dumpster fire that is DDO is still stoked by the sheer incompetence of that fucking brainless faggot Sev and his ass licking bag of shit sycophant Jerry.

WB had nothing to do with the terrible direction the game has gone.

Now those two fuck wits have no one to answer to for their totally fucking retarded decisions. I fully expect the game to accelerate deeper into the fucking shit puddle that they've been driving through for the last three years.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #48 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:19pm:
Clean ownership of the code

DDO's code and clean in the same sentence? Well done.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #49 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Some Q&A from Cordoban:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberyll
I will not go the doom and gloom route, as those involved in keeping this game afloat have done really well in my mind. Congratulations on the new spinup to focus on DDO and LOTRO. Please keep us in the loop, where you can, on needs moving forward.

We will! As we've stated, none of our plans for DDO (or LOTRO for that matter) have changed. We're still set to publish a bunch of great stuff next year, including Ravenloft stuff. We hope to have a new Producer's Letter out soon; may be early in the new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Howe
Who's in charge of Standing Stone?

Is Standing Stone a studio comprised of all the ex-Turbine DDO and LotRO employees?

We are! Yes, the studio is made up of people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for a long time now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baimpala
I don't post much, but this has me excited...

So, if I purchase something as of right now, will my money go to Standing Stone games, or to Turbine?

Thanks,
Bam

Standing Stone Games.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Cleanincubus
Now that I've been thinking about it, the one thing that worries me right now (since it appears not much will change on the players end), is the Graphics Department. Didn't the graphics department work on all of Turbine's games, including the mobile ones? So does that mean there will have be a new team, or are some of them transitioning over as well?

The DDO (and LOTRO) Art Team is now a part of Standing Stone Games.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravisrs
Does that mean possible "come back" of some legends that were working on DDO on past years?

Does Torc count?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint