Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Server transfers (Read 17018 times)
Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Re: Server transfers
Reply #25 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Charging people for server transfers before they merge servers into 1 mega server

I don't know who these Standing Stones guys are, but they must be business geniuses

Smiley

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #26 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Unless really everybody you know moves to another server or everybody on your server dislikes you what's the point of transfers really ?

Population and activity seem to be really similar. I would sometimes roll gold dice for no reason every week on different servers and checking the lfm panel, asah or who lists.

As others have said, there is no "high pop" server.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 2:31pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Illiterate wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:57pm:
before they merge servers into 1 mega server

Because creating one server that can't possibly support the entire game population, and betting your entire product on a single point of failure is TOTALLY a thing.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #28 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:30pm:
Because creating one server that can't possibly support the entire game population, and betting your entire product on a single point of failure is TOTALLY a thing.

Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:11pm
Print Post  

Because losing customers due to lack of group play options, and betting that your failure to devise solutions to the server merge issues won't result in a loss of customers is TOTALLY a thing.

See how that works?
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:12pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #30 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:11pm:
Because losing customers due to lack of group play options, and betting that your failure to devise solutions to the server merge issues won't result in a loss of customers is TOTALLY a thing.

See how that works?

How would a server merge be better than server transfers where you identify one server as "grouping centric"?

I can certainly tell you how it would be worse. It would be worse because the lag would be horrific, you'd have the single point of failure Noamineo mentioned, and you'd piss off the people who got merged against their wills and lost names they liked, character slots, and anything else that went wrong in the merge.

"They have to provide grouping options" =/= "They should merge servers".

I'll tell you what is a thing, though - screwing customers to stroke your own ego. So for that reason, not because it's the best or even a very good solution, we'll probably get the merge before we get a grouping centric server with free transfers  Cry

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I hate the stupid fucking naming in this game, itl be so much easier to let everyone pick the name they like and have them PM into their account name or something, like with nwn and countless mmos.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #32 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:11pm:

See how that works?

Yes, Fran(k).  We all know how you work.  You have no original thoughts of your own and can only copycat and mimic other peoples' ideas and snarky comments.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Digi, you are just as retarded as Frank, which is extremely fucking retarded.

Get the fuck out of here, or stop spamming your 'docking' foreplay all over the place ya stupid turds.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #34 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 9:56pm:
It would be worse because the lag would be horrific

You and everyone else keep forgetting that years ago we had a shitton of more players and the lag was less. Member that?

The only reason the lag would be worse is because of all the shitty coded effects, buffs, auras that break more often than they work.
And they've been adding and adding on top of that. It's gotten so bad that a single Shiradi can freeze up the whole raid, never mind the Warlocks...

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:09am
Print Post  
How would a server merge be better than server transfers where you identify one server as "grouping centric"?

What exactly is a "grouping centric" server, and how would Turbine Stanbding Stone manage to enforce this?

Grouping is up to the community of players, it has nothing to do with the server name or the intent of the developers.

They could try some carrot/stick bullshit, like the XP bonus for grouping that they throw out every so often, or they could slap an XP penalty for solo runs, but neither of those actually forces people to group.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:43am:
You and everyone else keep forgetting that years ago we had a shitton of more players and the lag was less. Member that?

The only reason the lag would be worse is because of all the shitty coded effects, buffs, auras that break more often than they work.
And they've been adding and adding on top of that. It's gotten so bad that a single Shiradi can freeze up the whole raid, never mind the Warlocks...

I do remember those days, and quite fondly. It's why I laugh when they complain about legacy code. The legacy code ran faster on slower hardware with more users. The legacy code isn't the problem. The problem is the new crap they don't understand.

Sadly, though, they aren't going to strip the new and inexpertly added crap to return the code to it's former high capacity glory. So if they crowded everybody into one server now, it would suck. I'd be a lot more comfortable with the thought of a single server if they were going to strip it back to basics, but I can't imagine that happening, it would take Sev admitting that his contributions were unhelpful crap, and his ego would never allow that.

So with going back to good code off the table, I consider a server merge unworkable at current population levels  Cry

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #37 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:22pm:
Yes, Fran(k).  We all know how you work.  You have no original thoughts of your own and can only copycat and mimic other peoples' ideas and snarky comments.

Are you serious?

No! Frank is NOT me!

We have the same name that is all! Well actually we might not even have that if he's actually a Franklin while I am a Francis.

You can hate on me all you like.
You can hate on him all you like.
But don't conflate us.

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #38 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Sure thing, Fran{k}!!!

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #39 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 9:22am:
Are you serious?

No! Frank is NOT me!

We have the same name that is all! Well actually we might not even have that if he's actually a Franklin while I am a Francis.

You can hate on me all you like.
You can hate on him all you like.
But don't conflate us.

My apologies for the confusion Fran.  I have not conflated the two of you.  The Fran(k) thing is a reference to some of my older posts towards Frank where I implied that you were smarter/better at DDO than him.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #40 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  

The "servers" are virtual machines now, both points are invalid.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #41 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:04pm
Print Post  

I can certainly tell you how it would be worse. It would be worse because the lag would be horrific, you'd have the single point of failure Noamineo mentioned, and you'd piss off the people who got merged against their wills and lost names they liked, character slots, and anything else that went wrong in the merge.

"They have to provide grouping options" =/= "They should merge servers".

I'll tell you what is a thing, though - screwing customers to stroke your own ego. So for that reason, not because it's the best or even a very good solution, we'll probably get the merge before we get a grouping centric server with free transfers  Cry

Sadly, grouping-centric server would be too much work. Its beyond turbine expertise. It works on games designed that way from the ground up, but DDO is way too oldschool.

Server mergers could actually help matters. "one mega server" most of us can agree is functionally retarded. Even at current population levels, there's way too many players for one server, and thats assuming they don't get occasional spikes is use levels. The underlying game architecture litterally can't support it.

Plus, single point of failure = bad idea.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 3:32pm:
The "servers" are virtual machines now, both points are invalid.

Virtual or physical doesn't change the underlying game architecture. You could give a virtual machine 100 CPUS and 50 terrabytes of RAM, if the game software literally can't accept more than a certain number of users, no amount of hardware resources will change that.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #43 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:07pm:
Virtual or physical doesn't change the underlying game architecture. You could give a virtual machine 100 CPUS and 50 terrabytes of RAM, if the game software literally can't accept more than a certain number of users, no amount of hardware resources will change that.

That is not an issue. Perhaps you are conflating server concurrency with instance concurrency?

It is true that the game can only handle so many players in one instance, but there is no "underlying game architecture" limit to the number of instances that can be created. Of course the game already automatically balances existing public instances and spawns new ones when there is an abundance of players. The problem is players can intentionally crash an instance by choosing to manually override their instance placement en masse. This could be easily solved by coding a simple hard cap, disallowing a switch to any instance that has X number of players in it already.

Also, even if you were right about a limit, you're still wrong, since we can extrapolate from DDOracle data that current peak population of all servers combined is currently less than peak population of a single server in the MotU era.

Megaserver or bust. It is the only sensible path forward. Desegregate!
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2016 at 6:39pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Was there really much transferring going on? Do they expect a sudden influx or did the bean counters think this would make people cough up cash because "the grass is greener"?

Newsflash... The grass is the same plot of scorched salted barren wasteland on all servers.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #45 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
platfarmchink wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 6:49am:
Was there really much transferring going on? Do they expect a sudden influx or did the bean counters think this would make people cough up cash because "the grass is greener"?

Newsflash... The grass is the same plot of scorched salted barren wasteland on all servers.

Launcher based server transfer is how they implemented LOTRO's recent server merge.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #46 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
platfarmchink wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 6:49am:

At 2,495 TP they're pricing out the majority from even using this option!

It's Ludicrous Pricing!

I just bought Shadowfell and MotU for an alt account and got 2k TP with that.
I've then gone from 2k to 2,900 total favour on Aeriuos of Ghallanda.
I will get to 3k but not much further considering I'm still missing a tonne of packs incl. VoN and Orchard.
I'm not at 2,495 TP and if I bought VoN and Orchard I'd be below 1k TP!
I'd love to move Aeriuos off Ghallanda but it's not happening unfortunately. {Don't worry G-Landers, I've still got 3 main account characters there}.

A Server Transfer option would be great for newbies once they've done their 200 favour dash on each to consolidate {especially if they've gone premium and have 4 slots or VIP and have 10 available per server}.
BUT at 2,495 TP even one single transfer would render their server dash pointless in the first place and multiple transfers just isn't going to happen.

The Devs are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with this pricing!

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #47 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
price is fine these opinions are shit

its basically a premium feature for retards. expensive enough to deter abuse or overuse, cheap and easy enough to motivate nerds to act on their impulsive perceptions.

all the reaction you read compares not to the number of people lining up to pay for this service

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #48 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 3:59pm:
price is fine these opinions are shit

Price is fine for who exactly?

its basically a premium feature for retards. expensive enough to deter abuse or overuse, cheap and easy enough to motivate nerds to act on their impulsive perceptions.

Really?

How would this be abused anyway?
What would you consider abuse of server transfers? There's already a time limit for returns.

And again, Who is this aimed at with that price?

all the reaction you read compares not to the number of people lining up to pay for this service

Got numbers have ya?

At 2500 tp this is a one off special offer price NOT a permanent price with expected repeat sales.
BUT
This is a permanent option NOT a one off sale of something that isn't usually on the store.

The Devs might get a spike in transfers from those unhappy with their current server heading to Orien {the Default and therefore by far the most heavily populated server}.
Good luck to those Devs when they change the Default after people have done that though.

Again - The problem isn't that there isn't going to be a spike, yes there's people out there who've been waiting for this opportunity but the hefty price is gonna put off many of them anyway and this price is going to put off repeat usage.

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I'll be glady to pay to see Franohtard out of my server.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint