Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) The hostages are free to talk (Read 23376 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: The hostages are free to talk
Reply #100 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 10:36am:
You're right. That's unfortunate. I was already hoping to wear heroic Helm of Frost with +2 attributes. My only hope is that they're gonna mess it up somehow...

That would have been a nice pull, if it were posssible.  In scanning the 20 and under named helm list, there are very few low level decent ones that are worth getting.  A few nice options when you get into the newer named loot like Halcyonia and Pansophic (sp?)Circlet. 

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #101 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:50am:
The only "new" people I see are people who return to the game after an extended absence.  I've seen quite a few pop up after months or years gone and return to play for one reason or another.

I can't remember the last genuinely new player I have seen.

I rarely play these days, but played a few hours over the weekend and had a new player hit my lfm. Not a returning player, he was asking how favor worked and stuff like that. They aren't common, but with the current state of the game neither are crowds Sad

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #102 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I got a player so new he spent most of the quest dying, was a wizard without invisiblity, ddoor, displacement, jump, or any other remotely useful spell. It was cute, amazed that he was level 14, showing just how hard this game really is.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #103 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 8:12am
Print Post  
It is shocking when someone lvl 20+ only has 350 hps.  Saw someone with wings in their name with 460ish at lvl 28 even.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #104 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Jan 10th, 2017 at 8:12am:
It is shocking when someone lvl 20+ only has 350 hps.  Saw someone with wings in their name with 460ish at lvl 28 even.

F U
I was in Shadowdancer!  Grin

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #105 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:50pm:
I got a player so new he spent most of the quest dying, was a wizard without invisiblity, ddoor, displacement, jump, or any other remotely useful spell. It was cute, amazed that he was level 14, showing just how hard this game really is.

That's true. The game is only easy if you understand all of the systems, know all of the quests, and understand the general nature of the bugs. To a truly new player, this game really is hard. Maybe not brutal, but not the cake walk it seems to experienced players.

That's why the power creep is so damaging. It doesn't make the game easier for the new player, at least, no where near the benefit the experienced player sees, but it forces SSG to make the game harder to keep experienced players engaged.

I doubt SSG will get it, though, and expect new players to get even rarer. If only we had some way to capture them and breed them in captivity  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #106 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 3:43am:
F U
I was in Shadowdancer!  Grin

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #107 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
There was a quote about QA having faith/trust in the Developers' code and thus not testing as well as they could.

I think much of that stems from people in QA eventually wanting to move into a DEV role.  For some reason, people think they just need to get their foot in the door at a software dev company and then someone will notice that they should be writing code instead of testing it.

When I was in QA at the two companies I worked for, I naturally assumed the devs code was crap and set out to break it.  It was like a puzzle to me.  "What did the dev not think about that a user would do?".   

Some hated me because they thought I was "critiquing" their code when I submitted bug reports.  Others were professional about it.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #108 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:45am
Print Post  
If it can happen, it will happen.  I seem to recall a book by MS called Code Complete.  There were discussions through the book about handling every possibility in digital combinations and error trapping for analog possibilities.  Since my programming is pretty basic in what I do, simply building truth tables to show holes in logic is adequate to open folks' eyes.  Unprofessional folks that can't take constructive criticism  tend to fly off the handle when shown things like this.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #109 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 8:57am:
There was a quote about QA having faith/trust in the Developers' code and thus not testing as well as they could.

I think much of that stems from people in QA eventually wanting to move into a DEV role.  For some reason, people think they just need to get their foot in the door at a software dev company and then someone will notice that they should be writing code instead of testing it.

When I was in QA at the two companies I worked for, I naturally assumed the devs code was crap and set out to break it.  It was like a puzzle to me.  "What did the dev not think about that a user would do?".   

Some hated me because they thought I was "critiquing" their code when I submitted bug reports.  Others were professional about it.

I'm a developer and a manager of developers, and I can tell you a good QA guy is worth his weight in gold. QA is an art, you can't just give somebody a checklist and call it QA. Any developer who doesn't realize the QA guys are his guardian angels keeping his bugs from reaching customers is a worthless loser, so that's probably the prevalent attitude at Turdbin, lets hope SSG left that behind.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #110 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:13am:
Any developer who doesn't realize the QA guys are his guardian angels keeping his bugs from reaching customers is a worthless loser, so that's probably the prevalent attitude at Turdbin, lets hope SSG left that behind.

Aren't they the same people?

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #111 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 12:08am:
Aren't they the same people?

Completely new people, their 2017 resolutions changed them.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #112 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:40am:
Completely new people, their 2017 resolutions changed them.

They may have discovered this then:

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #113 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Isn't that just WD-39?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint