Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) The hostages are free to talk (Read 23380 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: The hostages are free to talk
Reply #75 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
If Devs play it right reaper could bring a lot of people back.

They are unconstrained by corporate ownership, so we'll see what they do

IP Logged

Quis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The olde' turn and burn.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #77 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:34pm:

I could see it delaying the exit of one class of player, but I don't see it bringing any class back. People who already left don't come back for "more of the same, but harder", any more than they come back for "new items". They might come back for something substantially different, like an expansion, but not for a "more" version of what was there. If they left the emotional capital is very low and there is nothing for "more" to leverage. Twice zero is still zero.

I do think it could be good for getting the attention of very good players who are bored now and thinking of leaving, so it's certainly not a worthless change, but it's not The Great White Hope.

Also, what percentage of the player base would even care about reaper? Those that do probably care lots, but they are a minority. And furthermore they are a minority that recent management has considered "safe" and not worth significant resources to please.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #78 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 8:56pm:
I could see it delaying the exit of one class of player, but I don't see it bringing any class back. People who already left don't come back for "more of the same, but harder", any more than they come back for "new items". They might come back for something substantially different, like an expansion, but not for a "more" version of what was there. If they left the emotional capital is very low and there is nothing for "more" to leverage. Twice zero is still zero.

I do think it could be good for getting the attention of very good players who are bored now and thinking of leaving, so it's certainly not a worthless change, but it's not The Great White Hope.

Also, what percentage of the player base would even care about reaper? Those that do probably care lots, but they are a minority. And furthermore they are a minority that recent management has considered "safe" and not worth significant resources to please.

QFT

Reaper will be a Epeen exercise for the most part. The loot will be little more than bragging rights.  Fun for some of us, but hardly a revenue driver in the end. To be honest I see it as a danger to the games longevity in that it feeds into the Devs short-cut philosophy of rehashing content instead of making new stuff.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:16pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #79 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:00pm
Print Post  

I'll believe that when I see it.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #80 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I don't give two shits about Reaper Difficulty.

I want more content. A new race or two and some new classes would also be nice.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #81 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 2:44am
Print Post  
There has always been steady decline. 40 Cove instances, 20 - 30 people in channels, thousands pages of items on ah, shitton of lfms anyone ? Heck people would even invite you by tells.
Even after Motu, epic GH and even Shadowfell were good days. And our toons were far far from those demigods we have now.

And we thought that population and activity around MoD release was bad ? Was it maybe 25k ?

I see dramatic decrease after Sev_Pay has become the producer. Every single change, every single fucking new mechanics and especially those "class passes" just made the game worse. Boring. Too bloody easy. No reason to group. Grind for the sake of itself for the past lives we stopped needing long time ago. People just leave boring game.

The essence of the game was awesome combat, cooperation and character buildings. Cuz sure as hell there's not that much content to do after you have played for a year or two.

New people ? What new people. There are zero advertisement for the game. Even if they try the game, all you can see is everybody solo boring ass heroics on elite.
No reason to group at all again.
Everything is just zerg fest without any thought because the game has become so dumbed down, almost trivial for anyone that has been playing for some time.

Was a good run though. I doubt hordes of people would come back due to Reaper. It's like that newsfeeded quote by Rest.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2017 at 2:48am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Rapist will be a fucking failure like everything that Turdbin does.

This is going to be only for retarded ppl with cheese builds to brag about it.

Require team play and strategy? yeah right....

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #83 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 6:19am
Print Post  
If Devs play it right

This phrase just seems weird to me. I know these words make sense, but they don't seem to make any sense when put together.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 2:44am:
There has always been steady decline. 40 Cove instances, 20 - 30 people in channels, thousands pages of items on ah, shitton of lfms anyone ? Heck people would even invite you by tells.
Even after Motu, epic GH and even Shadowfell were good days. And our toons were far far from those demigods we have now.

And we thought that population and activity around MoD release was bad ? Was it maybe 25k ?

I see dramatic decrease after Sev_Pay has become the producer. Every single change, every single fucking new mechanics and especially those "class passes" just made the game worse. Boring. Too bloody easy. No reason to group. Grind for the sake of itself for the past lives we stopped needing long time ago. People just leave boring game.

The essence of the game was awesome combat, cooperation and character buildings. Cuz sure as hell there's not that much content to do after you have played for a year or two.

New people ? What new people. There are zero advertisement for the game. Even if they try the game, all you can see is everybody solo boring ass heroics on elite.
No reason to group at all again.
Everything is just zerg fest without any thought because the game has become so dumbed down, almost trivial for anyone that has been playing for some time.

Was a good run though. I doubt hordes of people would come back due to Reaper. It's like that newsfeeded quote by Rest.

The only "new" people I see are people who return to the game after an extended absence.  I've seen quite a few pop up after months or years gone and return to play for one reason or another.

I can't remember the last genuinely new player I have seen.

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #85 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:28am
Print Post  

Holy fuck! Have you even been playing this game for the last few years? The fucking incompetent people at Turdbin/Severance Stocks Games have done nothing to bring in new players since Shadowfail, and that was a pathetic excuse of a fucking expansion.

Reaper will be a steaming pile of horse shit that is played by a small group of players for a little while then abandoned like so many other parts of the game. The only thing it will accomplish is to stretch the population like a pair of yoga pants on a fucking morbidly obese black woman.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #86 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I don't see reaper mode as the savior either.  It really only appeals to the raiding/end game crowd, which as always been a minority of the game population.  It won't attract new players.  It might bring back a few returning to give it a look, but that's not going to be a large group, nor a sustained new revenue source.

The addition of new content, specifically an expansion similar to MoTU, combined with some marketing campaign would be the key to actual new players.  I think they would be well served to address the beginning player experience in that regard as well.  Iconics are seen as the way to jump new players past the leveling process, but they are not a smooth process and the 1 level requirement is a problem. 

I also think they would do well to talk with WoTC to get some licensing of some more well known bosses.  The PnP population is familiar with Tiamat or Demogorgon, for example.  I know they are committed to Ravenloft, which has a following, but beyond that bringing in some "big name" villains to fight would have some outside appeal as well, I would think.  In that regard, the PnP module conversions do have some value. 

An expansion that added a dynamic new game element too, such as flying (in all quests, not just the few) or mounts, or player housing, or somethign would also attract more interest.  I think that they are beyond the point where jacking the level cap or introducing new races and classes moves the needle much with potential new customers.

Bottom line, it is tough to attract new blood to a 10 year old game in general.  It would take the type of development and marketing that hasn't been seen since 2009 or 2012.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:08am
Print Post  
It's a shame that when D&D is having a pretty solid surge in player numbers and draw that DDO just can't be bothered to see and try to capitalize.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #88 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:57am:
The PnP population is familiar with Tiamat or Demogorgon, for example. 

Takhisis is better known that Tiamat, even if it's the same dragon...

Orcus is a well known entity too... especially if you did the Bloodstone chain.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:46am:
Takhisis is better known that Tiamat, even if it's the same dragon...

Not anymore, I'd say. Tiamat got 2 packs focused on her, which NWO made something for as well.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #90 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 8:56pm:
I could see it delaying the exit of one class of player, but I don't see it bringing any class back.

this.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #91 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Turd_Ferguson wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 10:28am:
The only thing it will accomplish is to stretch the population like a pair of yoga pants on a fucking morbidly obese black woman.

"Well I think we just learned a new rule!"

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:14pm:
The loot will be little more than bragging rights.

Here's what the loot will actually be:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/482254-Reaper-and-Champion-Lamannia-pa...
Quote:
Each item with a Reaper bonus will have one of:
- "Reaper Power" (Melee Power, Ranged Power, Spell Power) +3
- PRR +3
- MRR +3
- All Attributes +2 (These only appear on helmets and thus you can not stack multiple all attributes Reaper bonuses)

Far from being just "bragging rights" this loot and its stacking bonuses will be the new black.  Groups will run Reaper on 1 skull just for the chance of pulling an item with the Reaper bonus rather than running EE.

Add to this the promised increased drop rates for named loot and you'll never again see an EE Two-Toed run posted ever again.  It will only be Reaper, and pushing the skulls up to the level that the LFG poster can hope to run solo.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #93 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 4:54am
Print Post  
I will predict a new interest in running C&tC groups for better Silver Longbows. Delera's for a better Carnifex. Maybe, Relic of a Sov Host for pick and choose... though they might be classed as crafted and not get a bonus?

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #94 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 4:54am:
I will predict a new interest in running C&tC groups for better Silver Longbows. Delera's for a better Carnifex. Maybe, Relic of a Sov Host for pick and choose... though they might be classed as crafted and not get a bonus?

in my understanding, deleras and relic are out. end rewards are probably not affected. crafted items are not affected. personally, first thing I am going to farm for is a +2 ability heroic pansophic circlet

Mythic Reaper heroic chrono set!
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:38am by crunch »  

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #95 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:42am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:34am:
in my understanding, deleras and relic are out. end rewards are probably not affected. crafted items are not affected. personally, first thing I am going to farm for is a +2 ability heroic pansophic circlet

Goddamit I hate that quest. But yeah...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #96 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:14am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:34am:

From my understanding the chrono stuff won't get mythic or reaper because they are upgradable to epic versions.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #97 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:14am:
From my understanding the chrono stuff won't get mythic or reaper because they are upgradable to epic versions.   

Well, my understanding is that any named item that you loot from a reaper chest can get mythic+reaper bonuses.

Anyway, let's just wait and see.

Stuff to test:
* opening an Advance to level 15 iconic gear box in a 10 skull reaper quest..

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #98 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 8:48am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:48am:
Well, my understanding is that any named item that you loot from a reaper chest can get mythic+reaper bonuses.

Anyway, let's just wait and see.

Stuff to test:
* opening an Advance to level 15 iconic gear box in a 10 skull reaper quest..

I'm not sure what we need to wait and see about.  Coco  has already answered that specific question on the MoBo.

From Cocomajobo on MoBo:
Quote:
In addition to that, Mythic bonuses will now have a chance to drop on all named items (Caveat 1: Again, only those that are static and have no means of being upgraded. Caveat 2: The current preview will possibly have a couple of updates, around the Shadowfell era where the treasure tables are wonky, that are not yet implemented) even when not playing on Reaper difficulty.

And, in response to this question:
Quote:
Do the reaper bonuses on named items persist through upgrades? Example: upgrading a named item to its ML 20 epic version through the seal-shard-scoll system

I'm guessing it's a 'No'...

Cocomajobo answers:

Quote:
This is a good question that I completely forgot to caveat: When I say that Reaper Bonuses (and Mythic for that matter) can now be found on all named items that drop as quest loot that (to my recollection while at home away from notes/documentation) specifically excludes named items that can be upgraded via crafting because that would have, as you suspected, caused the bonuses to be removed which is an undesirable headache.

I will amend the original statement to reflect this.

He specifically referred to heroic items that can upgraded to an epic version, such as the chrono loot.  There is some question on things like the MoD loot which can have augment slots enhanced, but there doesn't seem to be any vagueness about S/S/S epicable items.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2017 at 8:53am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #99 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 8:48am:
He specifically referred to heroic items that can upgraded to an epic version, such as the chrono loot.  There is some question on things like the MoD loot which can have augment slots enhanced, but there doesn't seem to be any vagueness about S/S/S epicable items.

You're right. That's unfortunate. I was already hoping to wear heroic Helm of Frost with +2 attributes. My only hope is that they're gonna mess it up somehow...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint