Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Torc response on issue with aggro in U33.2 (Read 3255 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Torc response on issue with aggro in U33.2
Jan 3rd, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
0> That is the plan. There is still a bit to do here and we'll actively be making changes until we feel both systems are working well.

1> So I was hoping to get feedback on bluff difficulty. I can easily believe bluff resistant may be a little to aggressive, but we are trying account for itemization and encourage players to many throw a few enhancement points bluffs way. Madness... I know... given this has been free beer for so long. The formula for bluff resistant is the creatures level + (1 * quest level). Hard multiplies this # by 1.25, and elite 1.5. This may seem a bit much but our thinking is currently that "solo pulling" is a pretty powerful ability so we're trying to calibrate how much of a commitment a player needs to give to do it reliably.

2> All the stuff that exposed creatures to sneak attack damage should still work the same. If that's not the case please post or pm me an example of it failing to do so and we'll try to get it fixed ASAP.

3> Rogue traps haven't been touched in to long. /agreed. Can't give you a time frame on this yet, to busy with stealth/aggro stuff plus reaper and unannounced "stuff", but it's on my list.

4> We are currently testing monsters ignoring aggro share if their friend was "quick" killed by a stealth-ed player while their not facing them. It's looking good so far.

5> So I'd love some more details here. Is this dungeon alert you have an issue with or monster perception in general even when no alert is present? The issue I've currently been investigating is outside the dungeon alert system, and it seems that sometimes monsters looking for me while I'm stealth-ed will sometimes get a position update on me that seems....illogically accurate. Seems to happen more often if I actually move far away to which is counter intuitive as well. I'll figure it out eventually but if you know a location that this happens 100% let me know.

6> Assassinate was original designed for unaggro'd monsters. Still, looking at this from two situations....

A> Using assassinate in active combat with my party: Might be a big power boost? Shrug. Assassinate was originally meant to be a reward for sneaking up on a monster clean. Using it as a general combat skill is worth looking at but would have to be reviewed in the general combat dps track, so it's a bit muddier. Still worth a look.

B> Monsters are hunting me in stealth but aren't actively on me (red eye) or anyone else: This might be more what your hoping to see addressed and effects solo stealth play more. I think part of the problem is the bug, finger of god thing mentioned above?

Some General Comments:

-The aggro assist radius will be shrinking soon to cut down on some "interesting" monster chain reactions. Other steps may be taken, we'll see how it goes.

-We will be taking a look at stealth character game play and trying to find a balance. This will take time (sorry), but it's a complex system, and globally effects content. This will probably take a few iterations to nail it down over several patches, but we intent to steadily punch away at it. I hope to get the "clean kills on monsters if their friends not looking" in pretty soon. We got a lot more know how back on the team since the new company, so expect things to change, even if little by little.

- Please post feedback on bluff difficulty, what's you think a fair bluff score vs target is... hows the duration, etc.

-Torc

The post he is responding to:
Quote:
Speaking as a programmer that would be a nightmare to maintain, and is not going to happen.

Personally? @Torc

0) Keep the pack aggro mechanic but continue tweaks to make assassins/stealth playable again.

1) Scale back bluff slightly until the highest levels, and give it a forgiveness range like disable traps. Young rogues do not need perfect disable, open, hide, move silently just to function so why bluff?

2) Fix shiv/bluff/deception to allow sneak attack damage on red names. We can live with the no turning bit, but cutting out half a solo rogue's boss dps is just wrong. Likewise a high sneak ranger. If you need to tone down rogue packs, make it so if YOUR shiv/bluff/deception isn't on the boss, no SA damage. That would presume that they stick separately. There's no effort to tone down warlock packs so why beat up rogues?

3) Fix traps, our tried and true method of splitting groups up was web and hypnosis and some damage off the top, all broken now, even with hella good disable.

4) Fix single/double assassinate so that it is spot based, not listen based. If they can see their friend die, HUNT KILL MODE. But if they all have their backs turned, and continue to do so for a few seconds, it's stealthy and non aggro. If on an attempt for a double kill one fails, HUNT KILL MODE. That might or might not fix double assassinate, currently broken at least in epic content. That too should be fixed, now that the aggro mechanism means I only get one chance on the ubiquitous pack of 10 anyway.

5) ======>>> Eliminate the FINGER OF GOD. I'm OK with an alerted pack who saw their friend get hurt roaming around looking for me with elevated spot/listen levels. I am not OK with them spotting my 72 hide/move silent in a level 20 epic hard (CR30 odd) FROM THREE ROOMS and TWO WALLS AWAY, again and again and again every 10 seconds like clockwork. Why the heck did I invest in maxxed skill, maxxed gear, and destiny twist slots for this?

Last - If I can catch one of the pack now racing around the halls alone, sneak up behind him, and stabbity, why oh why should he be immune to assassinate then? He's busy racing down to where his buddy two rooms away is shouting OVER HERE because 8 seconds ago I was there and the FINGER OF GOD told all his friends so.

Put all this together and playing an assassin rogue will be harder than pre U33.2 but still playable. Ignore this and I'll do some of the other toons for a while, but the one advantage DDO has over all the other MMO's out there, a real stealth game, is gone.

Thread:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481789-U33-2-aggro-mechanic/page20#pos...

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Re: Torc response on issue with aggro in U33.2
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Meh, it sounds like retarded mmoey gamey shit.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 3rd, 2017 at 7:50pm:
clean kills on monsters if their friends not looking

Now we know what Sailas really meant by "Rockstars".

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Do you suppose Torc was told during his entrance interview that his new job title was 'Nerd herder"?  or should I say "Nerd Hearder"?
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2017 at 7:32am by Grand »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Nerd Herder seems good to me...

he definitely sounds right for the job.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
torc gave us pit I believe

he's one of the good ones

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:39am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jan 4th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
torc gave us pit I believe

he's one of the good ones

I feel like The Pit is almost the same quest as The Coal Chamber, only The Pit hits all the all the stupid aspects of climbing with DDO physics, and The Coal Chamber only hits one brown note. Relentlessly.

Advantage: Pit, because variety. Also easier to skip.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:29am
Print Post  
In general, I like where Torc's comments are going.  If you are investing in stealth and bluff and actively using them in their play style, they will have value and you can get individual mobs, but if you are just ranging stuff and standing in the open, then you are going to get aggro of more than just the mob you shot.  But not with the radius that is currently being pulled.  It is too large.

One thing I disagree with.  I think you should be able to assassinate in active combat.  I'm not sure why they think that would be so OP, since it doesn't work on named and there is a 15 second cool down and the mobs get a fort save.  If you can hurl shit thru hell every 25 seconds from a distance, with no need to worry about whether you have aggro or not, are stealthed, are even facing the mob (or there is a wall between you) and get to use will save, and it works on orange named, you can't say that assassinate is OP in active combat. 

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:30am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:29am:
One thing I disagree with.  I think you should be able to assassinate in active combat.  I'm not sure why they think that would be so OP, since it doesn't work on named and there is a 15 second cool down and the mobs get a fort save.  If you can hurl shit thru hell every 25 seconds from a distance, with no need to worry about whether you have aggro or not, are stealthed, are even facing the mob (or there is a wall between you) and get to use will save, and it works on orange named, you can't say that assassinate is OP in active combat. 

Agreed. And don't forget Coup, it can be done close or ranged and the DC is much easier to max. I almost logged onto the Mobos to point that out but my better wisdom caught me.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Yeah, honestly the stealth requirement on assassinate is a stupid one anyway. It makes it unnecessarily cumbersome when using bluff to assassinate something. Given the other abilities that do the same thing that are currently in the game just allowing assassinate to work if YOU don't have the mob's attention seems fair enough. Given how HTH and coup work it would almost make sense (and be much easier to code I'd assume) to just ditch ALL agro requirements and say, "fuck it, assassinate has a DC, monster fails and it dies".

IP Logged

gravegod
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
To me Torc is coming across as just another sacrificial lamb treading water.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:58am by »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 11:14am:
"fuck it, assassinate has a DC, monster fails and it dies".

For the sake of my personal nostalgia, they ought to change it to a single percentage roll, and allow party members to be assassinated. Just like the DM who allowed that to be the end of someone else's year-long campaign, about a month after he took over.

Good times.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint