Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Asheron's Call, We Hardly Knew Ye (Read 6892 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Asheron's Call, We Hardly Knew Ye
Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Well, I guess this is the answer to the question nobody asked:

http://mashable.com/2017/01/11/grandfather-mmo/#LsVH7hV4BiqU

As an aside, it's a rather sad thing that I heard about this from a side bar feed from Facebook, which doesn't use the same contact info as my DDO account.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Asheron's Call, We Hardly Knew Ye
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 3:52pm:
It turns out that Asheron's Call is closing as part of this deal.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

SkankHunt42
Korthos Resident

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:06pm:

As an aside, it's a rather sad thing that I heard about this from a side bar feed from Facebook, which doesn't use the same contact info as my DDO account.

There's a roll of TP next to his rig. Even old ass grandpa's have jack stations.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Cry

btw, is that fucker dual-boxing?

The relevant part about this news is: If they're shutting AC down, it's not unlikely that they'll shut down DDO as it becomes less profitable.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
There was nothing worse than getting booted in AC when your roomate didnt know you were online and picked up the phone.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 3:47pm:
Cry

btw, is that fucker dual-boxing?

The relevant part about this news is: If they're shutting AC down, it's not unlikely that they'll shut down DDO as it becomes less profitable.

This was all discussed here when the news came out last month. DDO won't be shutting down, AC being shut down is a casualty of the break to SSG.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 4:34pm:
This was all discussed here when the news came out last month. DDO won't be shutting down, AC being shut down is a casualty of the break to SSG.

Oh, it won't be shutting down? won't be shutting doen 2018? 2019? 2020? Can you be so sure? How long will this epilogue "standing stone" last? could close at anytime ...

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

ThereIsNoSpoon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:09pm:
Oh, it won't be shutting down? won't be shutting doen 2018? 2019? 2020? Can you be so sure? How long will this epilogue "standing stone" last? could close at anytime ...

Oh shit.  noamineo just got shut down!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:09pm:

AC is being shut down by Turbine.  DDO was sold by Turbine to SSG along with LoTRO.  Your comment makes no sense because WB/Turbine made the choice to shutter AC but Turbine no longer has decision making over DDO.  So, what happened to AC has no relevance to DDO.  Any more than what happens to AC could be used as a gauge for the future of Age of Conan or Neverwinter Online.

That does not mean DDO will not shut down at some point in the future.  Obviously, it will.  Every game will end, sooner or later.  It is a question of when.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
We are currently left to assume that SSG is profitable for now, or it's unlikely this deal would have been made.  Being a new startup, though, puts DDO in very dangerous waters because if they go under - which is very probable for new startups - then DDO will get shut down since it's doubtful they would sell it to another company.  5 years is the magic number for any new business.  Most go under within 5 years.  So... good luck.

- Zorro

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 6:25pm:
We are currently left to assume that SSG is profitable for now, or it's unlikely this deal would have been made.  Being a new startup, though, puts DDO in very dangerous waters because if they go under - which is very probable for new startups - then DDO will get shut down since it's doubtful they would sell it to another company.  5 years is the magic number for any new business.  Most go under within 5 years.  So... good luck.

They are nothing like a startup. They have a live, shipped product with actual revenue on Day 1, and everyone there has been doing their same job for like 3-8 years.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
SkankHunt42 wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
There's a roll of TP next to his rig. Even old ass grandpa's have jack stations.

Grandpa is killing my rig. He's like what, triple monitor setup?

Gaming like a fucking BAWS. For AC no less.

I'm rolling in a bucket over here. Clearly not in Grandpa's league for commitment to the cause.

If he's been at it since AC's roll out 17 years ago, somebody should drop him a line about DDO.

Getting a hardcore mu'fuggah like that on board could keep the lights on for all of us until shutdown.

That, or getting some Arab sheik's spolied brat with bottomless pockets to bank roll the thing for eternity.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 6:24pm:
AC is being shut down by Turbine.  DDO was sold by Turbine to SSG along with LoTRO.  Your comment makes no sense because WB/Turbine made the choice to shutter AC but Turbine no longer has decision making over DDO.  So, what happened to AC has no relevance to DDO.  Any more than what happens to AC could be used as a gauge for the future of Age of Conan or Neverwinter Online.

That does not mean DDO will not shut down at some point in the future.  Obviously, it will.  Every game will end, sooner or later.  It is a question of when. 

Oh fuck off Ash, it got shuttered because it had been forced into maintenance mode with very sloppy end-line blunt force coding choices that unintentionally dead ended any chance bring it back in the future. That mistake trapped it in Maintenance mode and made it next to impossible to grow or retain as a revenue stream by Turbine or anyone else. And who was "in-charge" of that fiasco? Severlin, the same clueless wonder who squirmed his way into the SSG lifeboat, the same guy who went on the record 13 times saying that a private server or some other legacy plan for AC players  would be made available down the track, Granted he said that just to quiet the mobs back when he was fucking it up but he promised it none the less. He avoided going back to the AC forums like the plague since the announcements and ignored all those poor saps who had believed him and were making post asking how to get that server set up.   

So yeah Ash, AC does have a bearing on what is likely to happen to DDO and LOTR going forward because past actions, failures and tactics bear on future moves and decisions when they involve the same people and similar situations. But I guess you're are still too much of a sniveling shill to admit it.

You fucking turd.   
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:02am by Grand »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:06pm:

Whoa... pretty sad.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:40am
Print Post  
It's time to gather as much information as possible on AC and it's internals... as it relates to DDO and LoTRO is some ways...

people seems to be scrambling to get as much info as possible before the shutdown to be able to create emulated servers and stuff...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:22am
Print Post  
...aaaaaaaaaand not a single fuck was given.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Ftfy McFuckwit.

[] wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:22am:
...I have nothing relevant to say and mistakenly thought the denizens here could give a flying fuck about what I think....

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:00am:
Oh fuck off Ash, it got shuttered because it had been forced into maintenance mode with very sloppy end-line blunt force coding choices that unintentionally dead ended any chance bring it back in the future. That mistake trapped it in Maintenance mode and made it next to impossible to grow or retain as a revenue stream by Turbine or anyone else. And who was "in-charge" of that fiasco? Severlin, the same clueless wonder who squirmed his way into the SSG lifeboat, the same guy who went on the record 13 times saying that a private server or some other legacy plan for AC players  would be made available down the track, Granted he said that just to quiet the mobs back when he was fucking it up but he promised it none the less. He avoided going back to the AC forums like the plague since the announcements and ignored all those poor saps who had believed him and were making post asking how to get that server set up.   

So yeah Ash, AC does have a bearing on what is likely to happen to DDO and LOTR going forward because past actions, failures and tactics bear on future moves and decisions when they involve the same people and similar situations. But I guess you're are still too much of a sniveling shill to admit it.

You fucking turd.   

Wow.  Look at Grand getting his panties in a bunch.  Calm down, son.  Your pathological, disturbing, borderline homo-erotic obsession with Sev is approaching jilted lover level.  (You seem on the edge of creating a fake Sev facebook account and stalking yourself and reporting him to the police for harrassment.  Like this chick:  http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/12/01/facebook-ex-boyfriend-framed-stephan...)

Or maybe it's seeing the grandpa playing a Turbine video game that has you all worked up...who knows.

I agree with you the fact that Turbine chose not to do private servers at shutdown would suggest that DDO will also never see private servers either.  I also agree with you that posting styles on the forums by individuals probably will be consistent and not change. 

But that wasn't what DDOCrackhead and I were debating.  We were talking about whether Turbine's decision to shutter AC would be indicative of how quickly SSG would shutter DDO.  Because Turbine (a division of WB) and SSG (an indie gaming studio) are not "similar situations".  Not even close. 

You don't seem very knowledgeable about business, though.  You seem more "worker bee".  Probably along the lines of Milton in office space.  Did someone take your Red Swingline stapler?  Is that why you are so upset?  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2017 at 12:17pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:56pm:
Grandpa is killing my rig. He's like what, triple monitor setup?

Gaming like a fucking BAWS. For AC no less.

I'm rolling in a bucket over here. Clearly not in Grandpa's league for commitment to the cause.

If he's been at it since AC's roll out 17 years ago, somebody should drop him a line about DDO.

Getting a hardcore mu'fuggah like that on board could keep the lights on for all of us until shutdown.

That, or getting some Arab sheik's spolied brat with bottomless pockets to bank roll the thing for eternity.

That's great.  I hope I've still got the mental acumen to game, and dual box at that, at his age. 

Regarding his setup, based on the two keyboards, it looks like he's running two PCs.  Two monitors on one PC and a single on the other.

Someone needs to introduce him to something like this:  https://symless.com/synergy/.  I used that back in my EQ days when I used to run 3 and 4 toons simultaneously.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Unlike most recent threads at least this one didn't use Drama as a dump stat.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:06pm:
Unlike most recent threads at least this one didn't use Drama as a dump stat.

It really has exceeded all my expectations.

I am still waiting for Revaulting to show up with his trademark mono-syllable bitch slap(s).

I got my Orville Redenbacher Premium Blend set aside special for that.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 9:41am:
Look look! over there! <ninjabomb>

Way to avoid everything you couldn't address in my post Ashley, it's always a treat for me to see I rattled you (although not the way you desperately want to be rattled).  Why don't you try again, and see if you can actually answer my points? 

Come on Ashley, be a big girl and give it a try! 
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:21pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:20pm:
it's always a treat for me to see I rattled you (although not the way you desperately want to be rattled).  

Lol!

Posts a mouth foaming rant.

Gets called on it.

Comes back trying to say its a treat and other person is rattled.  Roll Eyes

Nice try, son.  Grin Grin

Thanks for the laughs.  Needed one on a boring day at work. 

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Sob!

Posts uncomfortable truths and aspects I tried to ignor.

Calls me on it.

Comes back saying its a treat that I'm so rattled.   Angry

Mean man.   Cry Cry

Thanks for the education.  Needed one on a day I'm looking for work. 

What can I say Ashley, you post stupid stuff as a shill and I turn it into gold.

Now do you want to try and address my points or do you want to try to distract from your failure again?  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2017 at 3:08pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #24 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 3:07pm:
I'm trying desperately to distract you from my embarrassing 1am rant earlier.  Because it would be humiliating for people to know how emotionally unstable I am, especially over a video game.  Can we pretend I made some salient points and have a real discussion?  I know I didn't, but just make a few up.  K. Thx. Bye.

Sure.  No problem.  Just don't burn the building down.  We won't make you move to the basement.  Check with HR for your paycheck, Milton. 

EDIT:  If you look in my response to your post, you will see I agreed with two of your points.  If there are other points you would like to discuss, feel free to list them without the venom and I'll reply.  Or if you would prefer to continue trolling back and forth, we can do that too.  Your call. 

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2017 at 4:13pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint