Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need thrower build for Reaper. (Read 8879 times)
vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Need thrower build for Reaper.
Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I finished up my pure monk heroic life and now that reaper is coming out I'm ready to TR again and want to go back to thrower. My last thrower build was a modified terror furi/shuri and I loved the shit out of it. However with reaper and it's new champion mobs it seems it really isn't viable anymore. Looks like Kensei has some really good options and some combination with ranger and monk seems optimal, however I haven't had any time yet to mess around with them.

I have about 10 assorted PLs and a handful of epic and iconics PLs, +6 supreme tome and I'll likely be playing with a partner or 2.

Build goals:

-Useable from the start(some reaper), not meant to start at 20.
-Good all the way through epics.
-Decent para DC so that optional crowd control possible?(assuming AA tree used)
-Good defense for surviving in some level of reaper.
-High red DPS to make up for less than optimal partners
-(optional)Can you do it with trapping skills without giving up too much else?

I really enjoy having monk levels for abundant step and other goodies, though if there is a superior build with less monk levels I'm all ears. I fully expect to be in Fury as I've already become accustomed to the burst DPS, but as I said I'm all ears for other options.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: Need thrower build for Reaper.
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Hold off for a couple weeks man and wait to see what is posted here after people have a chance to test and run.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 11:00pm:
Hold off for a couple weeks man and wait to see what is posted here after people have a chance to test and run.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I should have approached it a bit differently. It's more like I haven't made a thrower since U31/32 so I'm not fully up to speed on what the changes to monk and kensei have done to the throwing meta. I should have just asked for an updated thrower build that is relevant right now that doesn't utilize PK imbue.

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:53am
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:17am:
Yeah, I hear you. I guess I should have approached it a bit differently. It's more like I haven't made a thrower since U31/32 so I'm not fully up to speed on what the changes to monk and kensei have done to the throwing meta. I should have just asked for an updated thrower build that is relevant right now that doesn't utilize PK imbue.

This thread is a great question.

It will be really interesting to see what consensus starts to emerge next week. I can tell you that there are some not widely known variables that many of us are waiting to check out on live and test.

I'd keep checking back for the next couple weeks.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:54am by »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
So you want a thrower build usable since early lvs? Good luck

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I think the real choice will just be whether or not you want to utilize item effects (Tendon Slice, etc) and twists/active attacks (Pin, Ottos, Leg Shot) for CC, or Paralyze arrows/Terror arrows until they nerf it.

So, will you build for Enchant DC's or ignore them for your CC.

Besides that it will still be about DPS, and not dying.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I couldn't image not being in Fury.

DPS is the limiting factor IMO in 6 skull and up.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:07pm:
So you want a thrower build usable since early lvs? Good luck

No, I don't really expect that. I usually just use a bow until I get high enough(usually around 12ish) to where using a shuriken becomes doable. However last life I actually used a shuri from about level 3 on and went all through heroics without much effort. Sure it wasn't optimal but it wasn't horrible once I got some elemental imbue dmg.

harharharhar wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:57pm:
I think the real choice will just be whether or not you want to utilize item effects (Tendon Slice, etc) and twists/active attacks (Pin, Ottos, Leg Shot) for CC, or Paralyze arrows/Terror arrows until they nerf it.

Personally I'd love to just use para arrows for now as it's the lazy man's choice. My last build went dextard for max dps but I decided I wanted to give the terror shuri build a shot. I swapped all my feats to DC ones and favored wis over dex, and honestly I didn't see a huge drop in DPS as I had feared. Considering that you are probably wanting to get slayer arrow, getting para and the extra DCs from the tree isn't really a big deal since they're right there.

However if para stops being as good at some point and/or they nerf elemental imbues, then getting slayer arrow is a huge point commitment without the usual benefits along the way.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:24pm:
I couldn't image not being in Fury.

DPS is the limiting factor IMO in 6 skull and up.

Agreed. Even if I saw evidence that another option is slightly better, I just enjoy the playstyle of Fury and being able to unleash huge bursts of DPS at will.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
I plan to use xbow on my shuri build frame in early heroics focusing primarly to get ranger levels fast for actives.
I wouldnt use shuri til mid levels personally (just a suggestion tho, you get the free feat swap anyways and dex isnt relevant early on either way)

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Precisely. With dangerous, hard to kill mobs, having better burst damage becomes far more important. My current shuri build constantly kills things with far more damage than is necessary because it's either at 3 or 11 from 1-10 and nothing in between. That's wasted damage. But in Reaper where damage is reduced, I feel like a high burst DPS Fury build will just be that much BETTER against mobs that will actually soak up what was excessive DPS.

Fury Shuri's have just entered their Golden Age.

14m/6r for Sniper shot and Abundant, or 12m/6f/2p for Defensive reasons will be best I think (Abundant and +1 Crit but no Sniper). The trade off is either Sniper shot or +1 crit Multi. Honestly having Sniper Shot + Adren is more DPS than having just Slayer and +1 Crit multi in all the simulations I did.

I still like 8/6/6 the best because x3 Shuri's and Sniper Shot. I even have thought about maybe going T5 Kensei for those Actives and Sniper Shot. Skip Slayer arrows altogether and just use Sniper Shot to chunk things down and finish 'em with Good Death and Deadly Shot. But this build lacks Abundant Step for fast movement.

The burst damage however of Manyshot + Boost + Vuln +Sniper/Adrenaline + Slayer /Adrenaline + Sniper/Adrenaline in ~15 seconds with +1 multi from Kensei on the 8/6/6 is just completely absurd however. Very little can match that especially at long range.

Playtesting will be the most informative I think.

I am trying to brainstorm a decent Divine Crusader build however for the AoE heals
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:47pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:38pm:
I plan to use xbow on my shuri build frame in early heroics focusing primarly to get ranger levels fast for actives.
I wouldnt use shuri til mid levels personally (just a suggestion tho, you get the free feat swap anyways and dex isnt relevant early on either way)

By the time you get IPS and a decent crafted Shuri you can do quite well in heroics with shuriken, especially since low level gear can boost your dex so much now.

And you can take different enhancements, in heroic I would do t5 Sniper if you have ranger levels for it, it's very strong at low levels. Ditto improved Ninja Spy tree, though I think it would be fun to play with Shintao T5 for the +1 crit threat on a miss by mob, in heroics as a Monk you can have the to AC to let it build up and then use a Sniper Shot knowing it will crit with +2 crit multi. Could be fun.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:52pm:
By the time you get IPS and a decent crafted Shuri you can do quite well in heroics with shuriken, especially since low level gear can boost your dex so much now.

And you can take different enhancements, in heroic I would do t5 Sniper if you have ranger levels for it, it's very strong at low levels. Ditto improved Ninja Spy tree, though I think it would be fun to play with Shintao T5 for the +1 crit threat on a miss by mob, in heroics as a Monk you can have the to AC to let it build up and then use a Sniper Shot knowing it will crit with +2 crit multi. Could be fun.

Im not worried about lv 12+.
We will do all quests we are capable to complete from 1-30 on 10 skulls, requires a entirely different mindset then the regular farming route and min/max optimization whenever you can afford it.
Found it personally that due to reduced base damage of shuri in reaper til i get my actives it wont be nearly close to xbow in dps.

We are talking about the really hard content in ddo now, harbor n such on 10 skulls at leve without any % drop in reaper xp (aka being lv 2)
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:55am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:56am
Print Post  
oh

well in that case yeah use a repeater but I was talking about level 9-12+ anyway that's when you get IPS

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:51am:
We will do all quests we are capable to complete from 1-30 on 10 skulls
We are talking about the really hard content in ddo now, harbor n such on 10 skulls at leve without any % drop in reaper xp (aka being lv 2)

harbor reaper is level 3 for full exp

anyway I did one harbor quest, 10 skull reaper at level. my problem was (among other things) that I hit stuff for 0 damage mostly. Occasionally for 1-2.

Now I was on a gimped lvl3 artificer wielding a non-magical repeater from harbor weapon shop. But the TL;DR is that many small attacks are bad because damage is rounded down to 0. Big attacks = good.

Healing: sucks
Temporary HP: good
DR: every small bit helps...
Fear reaper: bad

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 8:07am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:33am:

How much xp were the quests paying on harbor? And how many skulls? Curious if it's more efficient to lv the trees on heroics.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:33am:

anyway I did one harbor quest, 10 skull reaper at level. my problem was (among other things) that I hit stuff for 0 damage mostly. Occasionally for 1-2.

Now I was on a gimped lvl3 artificer wielding a non-magical repeater from harbor weapon shop. But the TL;DR is that many small attacks are bad because damage is rounded down to 0. Big attacks = good.

Healing: sucks
Temporary HP: good
DR: every small bit helps...
Fear reaper: bad

Ye i think someone said that rounding works so that anything below 9 base damage rounds to 0.
Youd need at lv 3 more then 9 base damage to have any dps at all.
Meaning 3 ranger past lifes, monk past life, any w increase on weapon you can get and prolly skip on optional effects when you craft a xbow but try to push the encha at least to +2 (not sure if 2 is craftable at lv3), and as il be a 1 rogue/2 ranger (heads up for the lv3 thing, really helps alot lol), il have some special attacks that add w..

Gosh, honestly i think lowbies are harder then epic content now

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I just completed a blind first time reaper/elite bravery run of heroic Tower of Frost solo (with hireling) on my shuriken build.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
we did a 5 skull Slavers LE Pt1 last night

Having burst damage on lined up CC'd mobs was still by far the most effective strategy. I won't really be changing my builds up much at all for reaper at 5 skull and under. We will see about 10skulls when I get a chance. It's really like old school DDO now: pull mobs, set up CC, play conservatively or get crushed.

I think I like it
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:40pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:39pm:
we did a 5 skull Slavers LE Pt1 last night

Having burst damage on lined up CC'd mobs was still by far the most effective strategy. I won't really be changing my builds up much at all for reaper at 5 skull and under. We will see about 10skulls when I get a chance. It's really like old school DDO now: pull mobs, set up CC, play conservatively or get crushed.

I think I like it

Honestly I've played a decent amount of 10 skull reaper (mostly on lamm but played some more today). The only thing to change in 10 skulls imo on current thrower builds is maybe twists - grab pin and maybe ottos. Also para (arrow) + para (TF) is still broken as in you can perma cc if you have enough stars being thrown avg/sec. So really imo you'll just see some twists + items being swapped. For the most part - I will say that if you use a ice lgs shuriken you are flat out retarded: not only is horrible proc rate but it also forces your party to use dr breaker or no dps.

Edit: You can actually pick up a surprisingly ridic amount of cc (no fail) without giving up too much dps on a thrower.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:20pm by hydra »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:15pm:
Honestly I've played a decent amount of 10 skull reaper (mostly on lamm but played some more today). The only thing to change in 10 skulls imo on current thrower builds is maybe twists - grab pin and maybe ottos. Also para (arrow) + para (TF) is still broken as in you can perma cc if you have enough stars being thrown avg/sec. So really imo you'll just see some twists + items being swapped. For the most part - I will say that if you use a ice lgs shuriken you are flat out retarded: not only is horrible proc rate but it also forces your party to use dr breaker or no dps.

Edit: You can actually pick up a surprisingly ridic amount of cc (no fail) without giving up too much dps on a thrower.

Um, that's literally exactly what I said, in this thread, yesterday.

harharharhar wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:57pm:

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:40pm:
Um, that's literally exactly what I said, in this thread, yesterday.

not to be a dick about particulars but it isn't. I've been on lamm and am in one of the few groups of people who have actually done extensive testing over there (you've admitted you haven't). So context wise it isn't - you're mostly theorycrafting still (reaper's been live for basically a day). Experience vs theory. If we drew the same conclusions, that's probably good.

Edit: Not to mention me specifically talking about TF para whereas that's not mentioned anywhere in your post.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 8:27pm by hydra »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 8:26pm:
not to be a dick about particulars but it isn't. I've been on lamm and am in one of the few groups of people who have actually done extensive testing over there (you've admitted you haven't). So context wise it isn't - you're mostly theorycrafting still (reaper's been live for basically a day). Experience vs theory. If we drew the same conclusions, that's probably good.

Edit: Not to mention me specifically talking about TF para whereas that's not mentioned anywhere in your post.

You misunderstand him.  You used the words "thrower builds", "stars", and "shuriken" in your post.  You stole his ideas!

In the future, please try to avoid this by using the term "builds that cannot be named", "5-point shapes" and "ninja projectile weapon".
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:22pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  

I like your ideas, didnt even consider para thforged, tnx for insight.
Doesnt the no refresh for para arrows make that a considerable nerf?
(il use it if only for the mov speed debuff, i thought to focus on hamstring/icy stance and perhaps leg shots to minimize mob mov speed).

Didnt test a shuri on lama, only tested a xbow pet build while oozes were broken xD
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:15pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:44pm
Print Post  

When posted that I hadn't played (I work, no time for Lamm during the week).

I played last night for a couple hours on various skull levels up to 5 for a slavers pt 1.

I'm not theorycrafting anything, but I did confirm what I already suspected. DPS is king, non-DC CC is no longer just fun to play with but necessary above 1-3 skulls.

Mitigation of magic damage is really the only problem with your run of the mill shuriken build. Most magic damage can be avoided or mitigated, but not all and sometimes with a pack of shamans or whatever you just can't avoid it all. I died once or twice last night to an errant black dragon bolt that hit for ~1800. I might start slotting absorb items.

PS: you can keep your idea about TF para, it's fucking garbage.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:45pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:19pm:
You misunderstand him.  You used the words "thrower builds", "stars", and "shuriken" in your post.  You stole his ideas!

In the future, please try to avoid this by using the term "builds that cannot be named", "5-point shapes" and "ninja projectile weapon".

This is a stretch even for a worthless piece of shit sycophant bottom dweller like you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint